• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron on Ice but the Floor is Lava?

Recommended Posts

Hey, hope it's okay if I step out of the warrior's guild for a bit to say hello. Is that you doing the amazing backward split stretch thingy on the blue stacked mats? I'm majorly impressed with the combination of awesome squat strength and flexibility! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Hey, hope it's okay if I step out of the warrior's guild for a bit to say hello. Is that you doing the amazing backward split stretch thingy on the blue stacked mats? I'm majorly impressed with the combination of awesome squat strength and flexibility! 

Of course! We strongly encourage cross-guild socialization. It often spreads peculiar ideas about what kind of accessories to do. ;) 

 

That video is not me -- I am much longer in tooth and thicker in quad, haha. My standing split (we called them needles growing up and the video I shared is called needle kicks, so perhaps that is still common, but needles in cheerleading/other disciplines are a very very intense standing split/backbend combo) is not bad though:

If you guys want, I can film the splits drills I actually wind up doing over the challenge. If not more useful, it may be more amusing because I'll likely fall over a lot more than the pre-teen and teen gymnasts. :P 

 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29243-1366063342-2.

Day 0.7

With my 11 hours of sleep, I woke up pretty early for a Sunday. I spent longer than I intended to dicking around on my phone (catching up with the results from the college gymnastics meets on Saturday night and checking on my fantasy team), but eventually got dressed and headed out to go to the lifting gym. It's a bit over 1.5 miles away and there are a couple of buses that go basically right there from my apartment, but I wanted to walk there to pick up coffee (and a fig and pear scone -- the pastry thunderdome hasn't started yet but scones are top tier in my breakfast pastry bracket) and warm up a bit before the workout. I'm not a morning lifter and morning workouts are usually substantially worse for me than my evening ones, so any help I can get with the warm up situation is good. 

 

At the gym, the heat was still out but I EXPECTED IT this time and wore sweatpants over my workout pants + a sweatshirt. It was 45 degrees F in there! The barbells were very cold to the touch. I was the only one in there though, so I played my music and was REAL SLOW about getting through the things I wanted to get through.

 

Beltless sumo deadlifts

5 x 135#

5 x 185#

5 x 225#

5 x 255#

4 x 3 x 275# <-- I probably should have done 5s but I didn't want to and I'm still technically on a break from the program while my tat heals 

 

Bench (seems to be fine, actually! so we're back in bench action)

5 x 75#

5 x 95#

5 x 105#

5 x 115#

4 x 5 x 120#

 

Chin-ups: 4, 3, 3, 3, 2

BB hip thrusts: 4 x 15 x 165#

30s on/30s off circuit thing: 10 rounds alternating 65# KB swings and push-ups

 

After the gym, I picked up groceries and walked home (#functionalfitness ha). I made pistachio + cranberry biscotti -- but I didn't let the first bake go long enough because they all fell apart when I tried to cut them into slices. The resulting bits were still very tasty! I also started working on my taxes, but it looks like I am going to owe the feds like 2k so I immediately closed that tab. :P 

 

I went over to the Sunday dinner/meal prep + movie night with the lifting crew around 6pm, ate dinner, and watched LA Confidential (I forgot how good that movie was). I didn't talk nearly as much during the movie this time. ;) Got home, showered, and popped into bed around 11:30.

 

Gymnastics: 3/3 new skill practices, 1/1 vaulting, 1/1 active split drills

Conditioning: 2/1 THING

Food and bev: 0/6 max over challenge, 0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 1/2 writing seshes

 

Good zero week things. I had some good success with my new skills at gymnastics practices, got splits work in, vaulted, and did some conditioning. I ate out a few times over zero week, but that isn't part of the challenge technically so I'm not counting them. Writing, I'll count toward the total, but I didn't do a good job of carving out much intentional time for it, despite having plenty of free time this weekend.

 

I can add benching back in this week but while my tattoo is healing really well, I don't think it's quite ready to face belted squats or deadlifts yet, so it'll be another week of going with the flow beltless and seeing what feels good. We have a gymnastics meet on Saturday, so I might take Friday as a rest day again or go in and socialize and accessorize. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, raptron said:

After the gym, I picked up groceries and walked home (#functionalfitness ha). I made pistachio + cranberry biscotti -- but I didn't let the first bake go long enough because they all fell apart when I tried to cut them into slices. The resulting bits were still very tasty! I also started working on my taxes, but it looks like I am going to owe the feds like 2k so I immediately closed that tab. :P 

Your new roommates are so lucky to have you live there, even if you didn't share this particular batch.

Do you HAVE to do taxes if you don't own a business in the states? So will this particular problem just go away if you ignore it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Your new roommates are so lucky to have you live there, even if you didn't share this particular batch.

I put some out to share, but I'm not sure if they had any yet. :) 

 

Quote

Do you HAVE to do taxes if you don't own a business in the states? So will this particular problem just go away if you ignore it? 

Yeaaaah. I can ignore it for a couple more months, but don't really want to file for an extension and I have the money to pay them. I'm just annoyed. :P I think my withholding must be off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, raptron said:

If you guys want, I can film the splits drills I actually wind up doing over the challenge. If not more useful, it may be more amusing because I'll likely fall over a lot more than the pre-teen and teen gymnasts. :P 

Yes, I'd love to see what you get up to! That's a very nice standing split.

 

35 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Your new roommates are so lucky to have you live there

Right?? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh. I have all the sympathy for that deer. It's a bit like me on a bicycle. Or attempting jump rope. 


I am super impressed by your lifts. How long did it take you to get up to those levels? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes, I'd love to see what you get up to! 

Will do! 

 

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I am super impressed by your lifts. How long did it take you to get up to those levels? 

I've been lifting on and off since August 2013. I was very athletic growing up, though, so I took to it pretty quickly. I say on and off because I lost a good chunk of training time to recurring gymnastics injuries, but it's been pretty ON since spring 2016. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, raptron said:

 They're very New Hampshire, which only has meaning to you if you live in New England, hahah.

 

lots of people have said lots of helpful and validating things but I'm just imagingin your epic eye roll and also suggesting from now on whenever this dude makes any kind of comment or suggestion to you, you deadeye him right back and say "live free or die, brah."

 

On 2/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, raptron said:

Jumping sounded easier than running...? Basically... everything sounds easier than running. :P

 

NOPE. Nope nope nope. jumping is NOT easier than running. unless you only have to jump 1x, and THEN it's easier. 

 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, Curl Brogo said:

R9vZEco.gif

SA2NaQe.gif?noredirect

KZyMP7R.gif

giphy.gif

2V3xKeS.gif?noredirect

giphy.gif

 

1. Guinea pigs

2. Guinea pigs hate lava

3. Wine and guinea pigs

4. The floor is lava

5. So many guinea pigs

image.png

 

OMG I CAN'T STOP WATCHING THIS.

 

 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

At the gym, the heat was still out but I EXPECTED IT this time and wore sweatpants over my workout pants + a sweatshirt. It was 45 degrees F in there! The barbells were very cold to the touch. I was the only one in there though, so I played my music and was REAL SLOW about getting through the things I wanted to get through.

 

 

I also started working on my taxes, but it looks like I am going to owe the feds like 2k so I immediately closed that tab. :P 

 

 

that is really cold! at my gym they turn the heat off overnight, so it takes a long time for us first-thingers to be able to touch the dumbbells and barbells without feeling like it's the end of the world.

 

 

alsooooooo as a fellow high-tax state resident I'm so not looking forward to doing my taxes this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, raptron said:

I made pistachio + cranberry biscotti -- but I didn't let the first bake go long enough because they all fell apart when I tried to cut them into slices. The resulting bits were still very tasty!

 

So you made a biscotti crumble? I'mma need you to put that on top of some yogurt and tell me how that tastes. Because I've been dreaming about biscotti crumble on top of greek yogurt all day. 

 

Or you can also make a peach crumble pie. That is also acceptable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, raptron said:

I also started working on my taxes, but it looks like I am going to owe the feds like 2k so I immediately closed that tab. :P 

I'm in the same boat. I've started my taxes several times since Jan 1, and keep giving up. This weekend I was finally going to do it and was almost done, but turns out I have to wait for a form to finalize on the 15th in order to finish...ughhhhhhh....

 

But awesome zero week! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, karinajean said:

NOPE. Nope nope nope. jumping is NOT easier than running. unless you only have to jump 1x, and THEN it's easier. 

Yeah, I think I am going to go with KJ on this one ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, karinajean said:

lots of people have said lots of helpful and validating things but I'm just imagingin your epic eye roll and also suggesting from now on whenever this dude makes any kind of comment or suggestion to you, you deadeye him right back and say "live free or die, brah."

I have 100% sarcastically said "live free or die" at him before and plan on doing it more in the future, hahaha.

 

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Also, huzzah for being back in action with bench - that's been a long time coming for you, right?

I think I was only off of it for two weeks. So not tooo bad, but my pecs disagreed with me strongly yesterday.

 

12 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

So you made a biscotti crumble? I'mma need you to put that on top of some yogurt and tell me how that tastes. Because I've been dreaming about biscotti crumble on top of greek yogurt all day. 

 

Or you can also make a peach crumble pie. That is also acceptable.

They were more like 1/4 sized biscottis than full on crumbles so I mostly ate them as little cookies. I DID have some with my greek yogurt and raspberries yesterday morning though. Peach pie is a top tier pie.

 

12 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

I'm in the same boat. I've started my taxes several times since Jan 1, and keep giving up. This weekend I was finally going to do it and was almost done, but turns out I have to wait for a form to finalize on the 15th in order to finish...ughhhhhhh....

Yeah, I technically need one more form but it will not really reduce how much I apparently owe, sooooo, boo. 

 

Quote

NOPE. Nope nope nope. jumping is NOT easier than running. unless you only have to jump 1x, and THEN it's easier. 

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, I think I am going to go with KJ on this one ;) 

WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE. I did briefly consider signing up for a half marathon this year, but... gross.

 

tumblr_mzwywyYBty1qa3oruo3_250.gif

Day 1.1

The heat was stillll out, but again, I brought layers! Squats felt a lot, lot, lot better today than they did last week. I think I had forgotten what 5s work weights can feel like after a month of 10s, but I REMEMBER NOW.

 

Beltless squats

5 x 135#

5 x 165#

5 x 195#

3 x 225#

3 x 5 x 240#

7 x 225#

 

Close-grip bench: 4 x 12 x 95# <-- holy butts my pecs were super sore from the comp bench and push-ups on Sunday

Hypers: 4 x 25 x 65# w/10s hold at the end

Bent over db rows: 4 x 10 x 40#

Glute med side kick things: 4 sets

 

I went home, quickly showered, made a mish-mash skillet dinner (quinoa, spinach, sliced up crucifers, ground turkey, feta?), and then met a friend for a couple of drinks. I ONLY HAD 2 and it was a dive bar, so it was cheap. Therefore it doesn't count as a "2+ drink meal" which is what I explicitly outlined in my challenge goals, hahah. 

 

Gymnastics: 3/6 new skill practices, 1/2 vaulting, 1/2  active split drills

Conditioning: 2/2 THINGs

Food and bev: 0/6 max over challenge, 0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome <-- Dunks gave me a free donut this morning because the manager likes me. Free pastries do not count toward the budget limit. :P 

Writing: 1/4 writing seshes

 

We're going to get some snow today, but not a lot (boooo) so I will probably still make it out to gymnastics practice. So the plan is: practice tonight and Thursday, lifting Wed and Friday (light!), yoga Friday at lunch, and a gymnastics meet in the afternoon on Saturday. Socially, it's looking pretty light but I have D&D tomorrow and maybe a brunch plan for Sunday. I also anticipate the team is going to want to get dinner/drinks after the meet on Sat. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, raptron said:

WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE. I did briefly consider signing up for a half marathon this year, but... gross.

I'm with you on this one. Even if jumping isn't easier per se it's SO MUCH MORE FUN!

 

Those tumbling clips are always so cool! What's up with the extra crash mats though, is it an injury thing or....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Even if jumping isn't easier per se it's SO MUCH MORE FUN!

No question here, way more fun and the movement of choice (if your legs agree to it). But after your legs are already jelly, doing backflips seems like the way harder route.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

No question here, way more fun and the movement of choice (if your legs agree to it). But after your legs are already jelly, doing backflips seems like the way harder route.  

Considering I can't do backflips in the first place I'd be sort of inclined to agree. But I'd still pick backflips. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Those tumbling clips are always so cool! What's up with the extra crash mats though, is it an injury thing or....?

Yep! College gymnastics is more lenient about soft landings. It's easier on the ankles and knees to land on a slightly softer surface, especially if you might be coming up short. These women often compete every week for like... 12-15 weeks! Staying uninjured across the season is a high priority. :)

 

5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Considering I can't do backflips in the first place I'd be sort of inclined to agree. But I'd still pick backflips. :D 

Exactly! I don't like vaulting very much. I DO like back tucks. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, karinajean said:

deadeye him right back and say "live free or die, brah."


This is beautiful. I'm saving it for later.

 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Dunks gave me a free donut this morning because the manager likes me. Free pastries do not count toward the budget limit. :P 


Refusing a free pastry would simply be churlish. Of course you had to eat it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

so proud of you on the 2 drink limit!! that would be real hard for me. i drink so fast...

That's what water's for! :P

 

52 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also free pastries!

tenor.gif

Free donuts are best donuts!

 

Still convinced you're using a time turner with your ability to work out, cook dinner, and go out to a bar in the same night, tron!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Still convinced you're using a time turner with your ability to work out, cook dinner, and go out to a bar in the same night, tron!

It was a WHIRLWIND. I got home at 8 and was out the door by 8:45. Thanks, skillet dinner (which got me lunch and dinner for today too). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ah, well that explains it :D  Vaulting was always my best and favorite event when I was doing gymnastics (I hated the beam)

You were doing women’s gymnastics? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

You were doing women’s gymnastics? :huh:

Yes. I was doing "kids" gymnastics for a couple of years (ages 10-11) but they only had women's gymnastics events (floor, uneven bars, vault and beam).  Maybe not enough boys sign up for it to do more events or maybe they didn't have any coaches that taught men's events?  No idea.  Anyway, it was just a community thing, and there wasn't any actual competitions, so I guess people didn't care.  I certainly didn't care (or even really know the difference tbh). :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now