• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron on Ice but the Floor is Lava?

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes. I was doing "kids" gymnastics for a couple of years (ages 10-11) but they only had women's gymnastics events (floor, uneven bars, vault and beam).  Maybe not enough boys sign up for it to do more events or maybe they didn't have any coaches that taught men's events?  No idea.  Anyway, it was just a community thing, and there wasn't any actual competitions, so I guess people didn't care.  I certainly didn't care (or even really know the difference tbh). :) 

Upon further consideration, I think there is a much more likely explanation.  I also had 3 little sisters who were doing gymnastics there too.  I suspect the coaches just let me join the practices so that my mom didn't have to figure out what to do with me while they were there.

I never wondered at the time why I was a boy doing girls gymnastics, I just thought it was fun and went with it.  I wasn't the only boy there either, so I never even felt weird bout it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I never wondered at the time why I was a boy doing girls gymnastics, I just thought it was fun and went with it.  I wasn't the only boy there either, so I never even felt weird bout it.

Cool! Well there isn't anything weird with the women's events. :P I was just curious.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ah, well that explains it :D  Vaulting was always my best and favorite event when I was doing gymnastics (I hated the beam)

I loved vault growing up! Probably because I was good at it. Now I find that it is a lot of impact and not a lot of fun because I've shied away from trying to learn new vaults or even from brushing off my old front handspring full. It's just been a low priority for me. 

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You were doing women’s gymnastics? :huh:

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes. I was doing "kids" gymnastics for a couple of years (ages 10-11) but they only had women's gymnastics events (floor, uneven bars, vault and beam).  Maybe not enough boys sign up for it to do more events or maybe they didn't have any coaches that taught men's events?  No idea.  Anyway, it was just a community thing, and there wasn't any actual competitions, so I guess people didn't care.  I certainly didn't care (or even really know the difference tbh). :) 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Upon further consideration, I think there is a much more likely explanation.  I also had 3 little sisters who were doing gymnastics there too.  I suspect the coaches just let me join the practices so that my mom didn't have to figure out what to do with me while they were there.

That makes perfect sense to me! A lot of boys wind up doing women's gym due to lack of equipment or men's programs. The girls and women's programs are just so much more robust in the US than the boy side. It didn't used to be that way, but it seems to be a continuing trend -- more and more college level programs for men are getting cut. It's a bummer. I think it's a cultural popularity thing, but I'm not sure how countries with strong men's programs manage to keep the hype going for them. It's a cool sport (even if I prefer women's gym. ;) ) 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c642ac64e57624f6f

Day 1.2

Work shut down a bit early so people wouldn't have to commute through the worst of the storm. It wasn't a particularly bad snowstorm, but the timing was bad for commuting. I got home early and had finished the main thing I had been working on, so I took a nice late afternoon nap (which was definitely needed after staying out late for drinks on Monday). I didn't really WANT to go out into the sleet to go to practice, but my new apt is closer to my friend who always drives to practice and she offered to come pick me up, so I had no excuse.

Somehow I warmed up way longer than I normally do and just felt like I was running behind all practice. I landed 2/5 front handspring + front pike + front tucks, though the last one I did was the best one, so that is not a bad thing. This basically confirmed that I didn't want to try to throw the pass in competition on Saturday, though. My front handspring + front layouts felt REALLY good though, which was a nice bonus.

I meant to bring my grip bag to actually practice uneven bars, but I completely forgot it. I haven't touched bars since the last meet, and barely had trained it this season before that meet. I may just not compete bars on Saturday, as a result. My rib tattoo is MOSTLY healed but I'd be super sad if I scraped it up in the final stretch of healing just to do a not-very-good uneven bars routine. 

Balance beam was a bigggg win day though! During warm-up, I had mentioned to some teammates that I'd consider competing my front walkover + roundoff series if I made more than 50% of them today in practice. I madeeee all of them except one! Including two in a routine! My fingers are crossed that I found a breakthrough rather than a fluke-y good day. :P Because I was behind, practice was already over. 

I got dinner with a friend (oops) because I wanted to chat with her. I'm not sure my Sunday brunch is actually happening though, so I might still hit just 2 meals out this week.

Gymnastics: 4/6 new skill practices, 1/2 vaulting, 1/2  active split drills

Conditioning: 2/2 THINGs

Food and bev: 1/6 max over challenge, 0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 1/4 writing seshes

I will do split drills on Thursday and maybe vault too. I'll definitely vault on Saturday, but I may want to throw a couple more in practice before that. I have time scheduled to do some writing today -- probably for D&D. My co-DM's turn is wrapping up hopefully with tonight's session and I'm taking over for the next chapter, where they pursue a bad guy into a scavenger's trade city full of anthropomorphic raccoons ruled by a mob boss. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Balance beam was a bigggg win day though! During warm-up, I had mentioned to some teammates that I'd consider competing my front walkover + roundoff series if I made more than 50% of them today in practice. I madeeee all of them except one! Including two in a routine!

Yo! :tyrannosaurus:

Beam sounds very attractive to me, not sure why, maybe because it looks like a giant half parallette :lol:

• Haha 2

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, raptron said:

It was a WHIRLWIND. I got home at 8 and was out the door by 8:45. Thanks, skillet dinner (which got me lunch and dinner for today too). 

Ah, that makes sense. You're far more disciplined and organized than I am in the kitchen (usually takes me 15 minutes just to have all my ingredients out and maybe my pans preheating - thank god meal prep is a once a week activity).

4 hours ago, raptron said:

That makes perfect sense to me! A lot of boys wind up doing women's gym due to lack of equipment or men's programs. The girls and women's programs are just so much more robust in the US than the boy side. It didn't used to be that way, but it seems to be a continuing trend -- more and more college level programs for men are getting cut. It's a bummer. I think it's a cultural popularity thing, but I'm not sure how countries with strong men's programs manage to keep the hype going for them. It's a cool sport (even if I prefer women's gym. ;) ) 

That is a bummer - I wonder if other countries just have less cultural junk around what are "manly" sports (football, baseball, basketball, basically) and as a result can be more diverse in what sports their boys try out? We've got a similar problem in dance - even parents of GIRLS IN BALLROOM DANCE and WOMEN WHO BALLROOM DANCE THEMSELVES use gendered language when talking about putting kids in dance e.g. "I'll make sure all my daughters try dance for at least a year." They usually don't realize they've done it until I point it out either - I wonder if it's just that ingrained in American culture.

Balance beam was a bigggg win day though! During warm-up, I had mentioned to some teammates that I'd consider competing my front walkover + roundoff series if I made more than 50% of them today in practice. I madeeee all of them except one! Including two in a routine! My fingers are crossed that I found a breakthrough rather than a fluke-y good day. :P Because I was behind, practice was already over. 

WOOOO BEAM WINS!!!! I'll choose to believe it's a breakthrough until there's strong evidence otherwise :D

0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

The people demand that this be resolved! :P

they pursue a bad guy into a scavenger's trade city full of anthropomorphic raccoons ruled by a mob boss. 

I LOVE the snippets I keep hearing about your D&D campaign - sounds like it would be so fun for the players.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

They usually don't realize they've done it until I point it out either

Good on you for pointing it it though. If we don't, then the trend continues :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That is a bummer - I wonder if other countries just have less cultural junk around what are "manly" sports (football, baseball, basketball, basically) and as a result can be more diverse in what sports their boys try out? We've got a similar problem in dance - even parents of GIRLS IN BALLROOM DANCE and WOMEN WHO BALLROOM DANCE THEMSELVES use gendered language when talking about putting kids in dance e.g. "I'll make sure all my daughters try dance for at least a year." They usually don't realize they've done it until I point it out either - I wonder if it's just that ingrained in American culture.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely stemming from a "WHAT ARE MASCULINE ACTIVITIES?!?!" mentality in the US and somehow men's gymnastics gets tagged as not. I think it's just because sparkling leotards and jumping little girls tends to be at the forefront about how people think about it.

Countries like Russia, which has a huge macho culture and I don't think anyone would say they are progressive about gender norms, have robust men's gymnastics programs. China and Brazil as well (though Brazil is going through something like what the US women are going through right now). Not only is it popular to participate, but people also love to come watch and cheer them on. In the US, you don't even get many spectators for the men's meets. Strong dudes doing strong things is traditionally masculine in a lot of countries, but the US gets weird and hung up about spandex maybe? Haha.

(Obviously, we could have a whole other conversation about lol why does strength have to be masculine, but let's just not go there right now.)

giphy.webp

Day 1.3

My Wednesday update is boring. I went to the gymmm, did laundry, made dinner, and had our D&D session. These things aren't boring, but the update is. :P

Deadlifts (beltless sumo)

5 x 135#

5 x 185#

5 x 225#

3 x 255#

2 x 5 x 270#

2 x 5 x 245#

Chin-ups: 4, 4, 3, 3 

Single leg glute bridges: 4 x 25 

Kneeling one arm db presses: 4 x 12

Hip abductor and glute med stuff to wrap up

Gymnastics: 4/6 new skill practices, 1/2 vaulting, 1/2  active split drills

Food and bev: 1/6 max over challenge, 0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 1/4 writing seshes

• Like 7

On 2/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, raptron said:

I have time scheduled to do some writing today -- probably for D&D. My co-DM's turn is wrapping up hopefully with tonight's session and I'm taking over for the next chapter, where they pursue a bad guy into a scavenger's trade city full of anthropomorphic raccoons ruled by a mob boss. 

Uhhhh, yes please?! I would like to play this game.

Following a bit belatedly, yay writing and gymnastics and allllll the things! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wait, men and women do different types of gymnastics? Different moves and everything? 

Yep, women have floor, balance beam, vault, and uneven parallel bars, while men have rings, parallel bars, pommel horse, and high bar.  Not sure why, though, because I don't see anything gender specific in any of those events

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yep, women have floor, balance beam, vault, and uneven parallel bars, while men have rings, parallel bars, pommel horse, and high bar.  Not sure why, though, because I don't see anything gender specific in any of those events

Wow. I haven't seen any other sports that are so dimorphic. So, be honest, are some of the things cooler? Who gets the coolest things? 

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Wow. I haven't seen any other sports that are so dimorphic. So, be honest, are some of the things cooler? Who gets the coolest things? 

In my opinion, floor is by far the coolest event with uneven parallel bars taking second. Pommel horse is the lamest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Men also do floor and vault. Considering they do six events I really don't see the point of pommel horse because it really is the lamest. :D 

It'd be cool to see what women could do on the rings if they trained it the same way as the other disciplines.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wait, men and women do different types of gymnastics? Different moves and everything? 

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

In my opinion, floor is by far the coolest event with uneven parallel bars taking second. Pommel horse is the lamest. 

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Men also do floor and vault. Considering they do six events I really don't see the point of pommel horse because it really is the lamest. :D 

It'd be cool to see what women could do on the rings if they trained it the same way as the other disciplines.

I think women's floor, men's vault, and men's high bar are the coolest to watch. Pommel horse is universally considered terrible -- both to do and to watch, haha.

Gymnastics was one of the first sports women were allowed to compete in the Olympics in the 1920s (after tennis, swimming, sailing, and golf). At the time, even the events for men were still in flux -- they competed things like rope climbs and swinging rings in addition to some of the other events we know now. It was more akin to a display of general agility and strength than the very specific sport it is now. As a nascent sport with constantly shifting rules, I think it was easier to set aside different rules for women. Women were only allowed to compete for a team score, rather than individual scores on the events. They used mostly the same apparatuses as the men back then, and the rings were flying instead of still. The equipment was not very safe or soft, so harder tricks were banned or devalued to prevent injuries, especially for the women.

The events as we know them now weren't set until 1952 -- women were given the events that were seen as more graceful and focused on lower body strength (which women were accepted to have). They modified the parallel bars to uneven parallel bars so that women would be able to use their lower body to assist them. Men's events shifted to instead focus on upper body strength (though vault and floor exercise could stay, of course) -- with the rings becoming static displays of strength. Since then, the sport has evolved a lot, both in what people themselves can do and how the equipment can support them.

There isn't any real reason women and men couldn't do the same events, but they're just two different sports now. My competitive league has men doing women's, women doing men's, and both doing GYMNASTICS DECATHLON where you compete all 10 events (including two floor routines and three vaults -- two for women's and one for men). However, I'd say most men wouldn't want to do the women's events (beam comes to mind for obvious reasons :P) and most women think men's events are just painful and boring. I'd enjoy a fusion -- where men also have music and choreography during floor! -- and  you could maybe pick 5/8 to compete? But then no one would ever do pommels. :D 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c66d2934c34644d6b

Day 1.4

During the day, I was feeling pretty run down because I went to bed late because of D&D and my silly cat kept waking me up throughout the night. I thought about not going to practice because my body was feeling tired and my general lack of pep. But, since we have the meet on Saturday, I decided to go anyway. It was quickly established that my gut instinct to skip was correct. :P

I did one tumbling pass and went "NOPE." My hips, not shockingly, were really fatigued from the deadlifts on Wednesday and just did not feel up to what I was asking of them. I went to balance beam from there and ran into some of the same issues, especially with the jumps and leaps. I did manage to land my first 3 front walkover + round-offs though, so that helped convince me that they are definitely worth competing at the meet. But when I tried to do routines, I just. couldn't. stop. falling. Haha. So, I did a couple of additional beam skills and then swapped to ankle prehab and some split drills. Unfortunately, my camera fell over while I was filming my split leg lifts against the stall bars, so oops, I don't have a good video to share unless you want to look at the gym ceiling. Here's my dorky v-day post instead (even with my dang microbent straight leg :P): 

Then... I LEFT EARLY. Because my body said it was done. And I am listening. :P Reminder to self: 80+% deadlifts are hard even if they don't feel hard.

Gymnastics: 4.5/5 new skill practices, 1/2 vaulting, 2/2 active split drills

Food and bev: 1/6 max over challenge, 0/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 2/4 writing seshes <-- I had a kind of insane dream about bears eating my friends and wrote it out into a poem

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Love the history lesson. :) 

Yes, very much!

But then no one would ever do pommels

But would that really be so bad?  :P

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, raptron said:

Oh, yeah, it's definitely stemming from a "WHAT ARE MASCULINE ACTIVITIES?!?!" mentality in the US and somehow men's gymnastics gets tagged as not. I think it's just because sparkling leotards and jumping little girls tends to be at the forefront about how people think about it.

Countries like Russia, which has a huge macho culture and I don't think anyone would say they are progressive about gender norms, have robust men's gymnastics programs. China and Brazil as well (though Brazil is going through something like what the US women are going through right now). Not only is it popular to participate, but people also love to come watch and cheer them on. In the US, you don't even get many spectators for the men's meets. Strong dudes doing strong things is traditionally masculine in a lot of countries, but the US gets weird and hung up about spandex maybe? Haha.

Spandex seems to have that hangup - like a buncha US people think that if guys ever don spandex they'll magically turn gay and therefore be less manly? Joke's on them though, spandex is sneaking into all the clothes! :P

(Obviously, we could have a whole other conversation about lol why does strength have to be masculine, but let's just not go there right now.)

PREACH! I'm currently on a crusade to eradicate "girl pushups" from everyone's vocabulary at my dance school.

Single leg glute bridges: 4 x 25 

Holy butts! This is your accessory work?

I think women's floor, men's vault, and men's high bar are the coolest to watch. Pommel horse is universally considered terrible -- both to do and to watch, haha.

Gymnastics was one of the first sports women were allowed to compete in the Olympics in the 1920s (after tennis, swimming, sailing, and golf). At the time, even the events for men were still in flux -- they competed things like rope climbs and swinging rings in addition to some of the other events we know now. It was more akin to a display of general agility and strength than the very specific sport it is now. As a nascent sport with constantly shifting rules, I think it was easier to set aside different rules for women. Women were only allowed to compete for a team score, rather than individual scores on the events. They used mostly the same apparatuses as the men back then, and the rings were flying instead of still. The equipment was not very safe or soft, so harder tricks were banned or devalued to prevent injuries, especially for the women.

The events as we know them now weren't set until 1952 -- women were given the events that were seen as more graceful and focused on lower body strength (which women were accepted to have). They modified the parallel bars to uneven parallel bars so that women would be able to use their lower body to assist them. Men's events shifted to instead focus on upper body strength (though vault and floor exercise could stay, of course) -- with the rings becoming static displays of strength. Since then, the sport has evolved a lot, both in what people themselves can do and how the equipment can support them.

There isn't any real reason women and men couldn't do the same events, but they're just two different sports now. My competitive league has men doing women's, women doing men's, and both doing GYMNASTICS DECATHLON where you compete all 10 events (including two floor routines and three vaults -- two for women's and one for men). However, I'd say most men wouldn't want to do the women's events (beam comes to mind for obvious reasons :P) and most women think men's events are just painful and boring. I'd enjoy a fusion -- where men also have music and choreography during floor! -- and  you could maybe pick 5/8 to compete? But then no one would ever do pommels. :D 

That's a really interesting history lesson! I totally agree on your top three, though I think women's uneven bars are up there for me too. Fun fact: the competitive country and western dance circuit (yes, that's a real thing) in the US has a setup like what you described - a couple dances are mandatory, then you're allowed to only dance 1 of 2 for a couple more dance categories (though you're allowed to do all the dances and drop your lowest score, which is what all good pros do).

Day 1.4

During the day, I was feeling pretty run down because I went to bed late because of D&D and my silly cat kept waking me up throughout the night. I thought about not going to practice because my body was feeling tired and my general lack of pep. But, since we have the meet on Saturday, I decided to go anyway. It was quickly established that my gut instinct to skip was correct. :P

I did one tumbling pass and went "NOPE." My hips, not shockingly, were really fatigued from the deadlifts on Wednesday and just did not feel up to what I was asking of them. I went to balance beam from there and ran into some of the same issues, especially with the jumps and leaps. I did manage to land my first 3 front walkover + round-offs though, so that helped convince me that they are definitely worth competing at the meet. But when I tried to do routines, I just. couldn't. stop. falling. Haha. So, I did a couple of additional beam skills and then swapped to ankle prehab and some split drills. Unfortunately, my camera fell over while I was filming my split leg lifts against the stall bars, so oops, I don't have a good video to share unless you want to look at the gym ceiling. Here's my dorky v-day post instead (even with my dang microbent straight leg :P): 

Then... I LEFT EARLY. Because my body said it was done. And I am listening. :P Reminder to self: 80+% deadlifts are hard even if they don't feel hard.

Way to listen to your body! And I lol'ed at this dorky post.

5 hours ago, raptron said:

Women were only allowed to compete for a team score, rather than individual scores on the events. 

women were given the events that were seen as more graceful and focused on lower body strength (which women were accepted to have). They modified the parallel bars to uneven parallel bars so that women would be able to use their lower body to assist them. 

also loved the history lesson! and i would hazard a guess that the people making the rules back then were not women.

21 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also loved the history lesson! and i would hazard a guess that the people making the rules back then were not women.

Oh, yeah. 100% 

8 hours ago, raptron said:

Gymnastics was one of the first sports women were allowed to compete in the Olympics in the 1920s (after tennis, swimming, sailing, and golf).

Super interesting stuff about how olympic gymnastics developed, thank you!

6 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Spandex seems to have that hangup - like a buncha US people think that if guys ever don spandex they'll magically turn gay and therefore be less manly? Joke's on them though, spandex is sneaking into all the clothes! :P

...within my family, relative x insisted she always knew that relative y was gay, even before he came out. How did she know? He played piano--not reluctantly either, but well. Wish I had skills like that*. Anyway,  I think powerlifters wear spandex leotards. And swimmers wear spandex panties. And cyclists wear spandex all over. So there must be an additional element about gymnastics that causes gender anxiety. Are there sequins, by any chance? 

*this is sarcasm. just in case it wasn't obvious from the context.

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

...within my family, relative x insisted she always knew that relative y was gay, even before he came out. How did she know? He played piano--not reluctantly either, but well. Wish I had skills like that*. Anyway,  I think powerlifters wear spandex leotards. And swimmers wear spandex panties. And cyclists wear spandex all over. So there must be an additional element about gymnastics that causes gender anxiety. Are there sequins, by any chance? 

*this is sarcasm. just in case it wasn't obvious from the context.

My guess? power lifting and swimming and cyclists are all sports with objective goals: lift more or go faster than the other person.

Gymnastics has an element of performance and you are judged subjectively rather than by straight numbers. I would guess these judges are typically men. So if you are a man 'performing' for other men in spandex, you must be gay?

• Like 1