• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron on Ice but the Floor is Lava?

200.webp?cid=3640f6095c6ad31654436339515

Day 1.5

Lifting~ I kept it lowkey on the lower body so I wouldn't be too toast at the competition on Saturday. 

Paused front squats: 5 x 5 x 165#

Bench: 5 x 5 x 125#

DB OHP: 5 x 8 x 35#

Forward/reverse lunges: 5 x 8 x 40#

Plank KB pull-throughs: 5 x 10 x 18#

Did all of my pre-meet day checklist things like buying snacks, washing my leotard and march-out clothes, shaving, lotioning, painting my toes, etc. I stayed up a bit late because I started watching Russian Doll and really wanted to watch the whole thing... But it was a good day to stay up a bit late because I didn't have to get up early on Saturday. 

Day 1.6

Meet day! The meet started around 1pm, so I took my time making breakfast, doing meet make-up, and getting coffee before heading over. It was a huge meet with a LOT of teams, so we anticipated it was going to take a while and start a bit late because there was a morning session before our afternoon session. 

UNFORTUNATELY while warming up, I stepped awkwardly off the floor edge and twisted my ankle -- not a sprain, thankfully, but a really uncomfortable motion. They had a trainer on site and she did a quick diagnostic once-over, confirming it probably wasn't an ankle sprain, but taped me up anyway. It hurt a lot while walking on the hardwood floor until we got it taped -- felt fine on the cushier foam floor. It feels pretty good today (Monday) and I only notice it walking down stairs, so it wasn't that messed up, just poorly timed.

I did wind up doing uneven bars after all... lol. Just because. It went fine, which is the best I could expect from not being able to practice them for basically months. From bars, we went to balance beam. I debuted the front walkover + round-off! The connection was good and I think if my ankle hadn't been taped/annoying, I definitely would have stayed on. I wound up landing it and doing the classic jump off to the side move. I also fell on my full turn, but again, the taped ankle was my turning ankle, soooo also not surprised there. I'm really happy to have done the new series! I like it so much better than the old cartwheel series and it looks cooler. :D 

giphy.gif

Floor wasn't my best floor showing ever -- I was weirdly off balance in a lot of my choreography, went a little crooked on my first pass, and didn't hit my leaps as well as I could have. But my front handspring + front layout was the best I've ever competed it and felt great. And I wound up with a 9.2, which is still a nice score. My ankle didn't really bother me on floor -- thanks meet adrenaline! But when we got to vault, I tested a couple of sprinting steps and it hurt quite a bit. I could have vaulted anyway, but it didn't sound worth it, so I just scratched the last event. I had only been planning on doing 3 events anyway, so I just did bars instead basically. :P 

Our team didn't place, which I think disappointed a lot of folks, but we had pretty rough bars and beam rotations -- lots of missed connections, falls, and a pretty tough judge on bars. We got dinner and drinks (some of us many drinks) after.

Day 1.7

I had done that thing where I accidentally worked out every day for uh... eight days, so Sunday was A WELL DESERVED REST DAY. I took my sweet time getting out of bed too. Then I hung out with a friend for beers and good chats, watched Mandy, and went to bed around 12:30-ish.

Gymnastics: 4.5/5 new skill practices, 1/2 vaulting, 2/2 active split drills

Conditioning: 2/2 THINGs

Food and bev: 3/6 max over challenge, 1/1 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 3/4 writing seshes

• Like 8

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Day 1.7

I had done that thing where I accidentally worked out every day for uh... eight days, so Sunday was A WELL DESERVED REST DAY. I took my sweet time getting out of bed too. Then I hung out with a friend for beers and good chats, watched Mandy, and went to bed around 12:30-ish.

"accidentally" -- uh huh.... ;)

Sucky timing on that ankle, but glad it's not too bad! Awesome you still managed 3 events and that new combo on beam :)

People who accidentally work out too many days in a row.. I've got a few of those. It's still a better problem to have (for the coach) than those that accidentally don't work out for 8 days ;) 

of course! sorry to hear about the ankle. but maybe the cosmos gave you a twisted ankle for good reason? and i'm echoing the others that it's pretty awesome you still leveled up other aspect of your performance. well done!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sylph said:

"accidentally" -- uh huh.... ;)

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

People who accidentally work out too many days in a row.. I've got a few of those. It's still a better problem to have (for the coach) than those that accidentally don't work out for 8 days ;) 

It really isn't intentionallll! Hahah. I usually have my rest days planned around social situations and I just didn't have any that interfered with working out so I forgot to plan a rest day. :P

Thanks for the congrats on the new combo! We have another meet this upcoming Saturday, so I'm hoping to clean up beam and floor a little. And actually practice bars sometime this week... hahah.

200w.webp?cid=3640f6095c6c18c57241547355

Day 2.1

I had work despite it being a holiday in the US for a lot of folks -- I get to pick either the January holiday or the February holiday and I went with the Jan one this year. No one else was in the office because schools are closed... and it was snowing so I think everyone else was just like "no thanks." I love walking in the snow, so I didn't mind at all. I got to listen to music out loud and do handstands and otherwise be annoying with no one to bother me. I left a bit early because my email was also really quiet all day and I didn't have a ton on my plate to finish up.

I got to the gym and am actually lifting based on a program again instead of just beltless YOLOing, haha.

Squats

5 x 135#

5 x 165#

5 x 195#

3 x 225#

2 x 5 x 245#

5 x 235#

2 x 5 x 225# <-- I did an extra set because I was coming up unevenly and we were trying to figure out what was happening. We didn't quite figure it out but assumed maybe it's just something weird about the ankle or my shoulder. It doesn't normally happen so there wasn't a good reason to spend a ton of time troubleshooting it

Bench

5 x 45#

5 x 75#

5 x 95#

5 x 110#

3 x 115#

4 x 5 x 125#

8 x 115#

One-legged glute bridges: 5 x 25

Rings dips: 5, 4, 4, 4, 3

Rings L-sit/tuck things: 5 sets of whatever

3 sets advanced clamshell things from old PT life

I took a long time on this workout because my bestie who is starting to lift came in and I was showing her around and helping her out. I looked at her squats, started teaching her how to bench, and checked out her deadlifts. We had other eyes on her too but it was a tiny bit validating to hear a guy who has been coaching for like 20 years pick up on the same things that I was picking up on. I hope we didn't overwhelm her with corrections/suggestions! I contradicted something I had said previously at one point and I think she got a bit frustrated with me -- but it's really just because different things can feel good/work better for different people. There is no one way to squat, you know?

We had a big crew of people there so we went out to a bbq dinner afterwards. I might have made the "no eating out" challenge a bit too strict. MY SOCIALIZATIONNNN. :P I'm not sure if I want to adjust or just see how much I blow it.

Gymnastics: 4.5/7 new skill practices, 1/3 vaulting, 2/3 active split drills

Conditioning: 2/3 THINGs

Food and bev: 4/6 max over challenge, 1/2 breakfast pastry thunderdome

Writing: 4/6 writing seshes

Okay, so this weekkkk will have Tuesday/Thursday practice. I'll lift again on Wednesday and toss in some KB swing or box jump circuit. Friday will probably be a de facto rest day because we're leaving in the afternoon to drive up to Vermont. Saturday is a gymnastics meet. Sunday I'll go skiing. :)

• Like 5

On 2/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, raptron said:

I took a long time on this workout because my bestie who is starting to lift came in and I was showing her around and helping her out. I looked at her squats, started teaching her how to bench, and checked out her deadlifts. We had other eyes on her too but it was a tiny bit validating to hear a guy who has been coaching for like 20 years pick up on the same things that I was picking up on. I hope we didn't overwhelm her with corrections/suggestions! I contradicted something I had said previously at one point and I think she got a bit frustrated with me -- but it's really just because different things can feel good/work better for different people. There is no one way to squat, you know?

That sounds like a lot of fun! And yay for validation :) Definitely experienced exactly the same situation a couple of times. And there is no one way to squat. 

One thing that sometimes bothers me at the gym, because we have so many people really into it, when I'm coaching the new people sometimes they'll comment on something/ point something out that I've purposefully ignored to not overcoach them x) but I can't complain about that too much because I also love that everyone is into it enough to help each other out and willing to. 

• Like 1

giphy.webp?cid=3640f6095c6d69ee644b58396

Day 2.2

I had a bit of a blue day at work -- I just felt aimless with a huge dose of wanderlust and a LOT of desire to not be in the office. I stuck it out because I have some vacation time coming up, but I can't say I was very productive. Once that was over, I headed home and still felt kind of blah. I took a 20 minute recharge nap to prepare myself to go to practice and it miraculously did seem to help a little bit.

At practice, I did 3 front handspring + front pike + front tucks and 2 of them were ok. I'm going to train them on Thursday and if they go well, I can at least warm one up at the meet on Saturday to see if I want to compete it. I also did front handspring front tuck step-outs, but they were really weird, so I moved on. I went to balance beam and had a pretty mixed day. I was making a lot of my front walkover connections but falling on my round-offs, which isn't normal for me. I did 4 routines and kept falling on my full turns.

Uneven bars practice was okay. My newer grips are finally broken in, so I used those and practiced smoothing out a couple of pauses in my routine and started thinking about trying to tap out of the uprise + free hip instead of doing a kip, so I can connect that right into a flyaway. 

Ended practice with 10 standing back tucks on floor and ran out of time to do split drills. Thursday, then! 

I got sucked into scrolling mindlessly when I got home and went to bed late as a result. Boo! My bedtime the last few days has been kind of lacking, so that's something I'll try to be better at the rest of the work week. 

Gymnastics: 6/7 new skill practices, 1/3 vaulting, 2/3 active split drills

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

hope the work blues don't last. are you still in the process of defining/focusing your (new?) role? IIRC...

Ah, nah. We determined there isn't really a new one we can carve that would give me what I am looking for, so I'm planning on staying through the summer to finish up the new software transition -- which has been taking a lot longer than we anticipated. It's been a LONG... 18 months of knowing I am going to leave sometime "soon." I guess it isn't surprising that I've gotten antsy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, raptron said:

Ah, nah. We determined there isn't really a new one we can carve that would give me what I am looking for, so I'm planning on staying through the summer to finish up the new software transition -- which has been taking a lot longer than we anticipated. It's been a LONG... 18 months of knowing I am going to leave sometime "soon." I guess it isn't surprising that I've gotten antsy. 

urg. yeah. that's frustrating to be in a state of limbo.

Awesome about the gymnastics meets! My brother owns a gymnastics gym here in Morehead City, so being in the gym most days of the week--I'm the window cleaner who gets full access on off-hours instead of payment!--has gotten me to see gymnastics as slightly more attainable than I used to think it was. I'm old, so I'm only going for entry level stuff, but it's so cool. I'll be following in case you post any of your routines.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

urg. yeah. that's frustrating to be in a state of limbo.

Limbo is a tough place to be. It's like the lame duck period of when you are planning to quit your job and start a new one, but worse because all the plans are nebulous. "Soon" doesn't give you much of anything to sink your teeth into and really plan around. Blah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike_KnightofHearts said:

Awesome about the gymnastics meets! My brother owns a gymnastics gym here in Morehead City, so being in the gym most days of the week--I'm the window cleaner who gets full access on off-hours instead of payment!--has gotten me to see gymnastics as slightly more attainable than I used to think it was. I'm old, so I'm only going for entry level stuff, but it's so cool. I'll be following in case you post any of your routines.

Ahhhh, jealous! That is really exciting. We have a lot of folks who started as adults on our team and they have progressed a lot. :) There is a lot you can learn even without starting as a kiddo. I compete in level 8, so not really anything TOO COOL, but I'll probably post some videos of skills/routine snippets through the season.

19 hours ago, sylph said:

Limbo is a tough place to be. It's like the lame duck period of when you are planning to quit your job and start a new one, but worse because all the plans are nebulous. "Soon" doesn't give you much of anything to sink your teeth into and really plan around. Blah.

Nail on the head. There isn't a lot to get excited about until I move on.

200.webp?cid=3640f6095c6ebc7a316d733349a

Day 2.3

I was really tempted to skip the gym completely. I feel like I've been overscheduling myself and just wanted to blow off the night. I didn't, but I thought about it a lot... like to the point of writing out my options:

cdfd6638bdc0a1265a4a861e74b16eea.png 

But like... the original plan, option 1, is the only one that actually made real sense -- I'm going out of town midday on Friday so Wednesday is my last day to lift this week, the chicken has to get cooked, Thursday has practice so I can't do laundry then unless I want to be up late.... etc. etc. etc., so it's the one I did. I GOT THERE, FAM.

Deadlifts

5 x 135#

5 x 185#

5 x 225#

3 x 255#

5 x 275#

3 x 5 x 260#

Bench: 4 x 8 x 105# paused

Kneeling one armed db press: 4 x 10 x 25#

One armed db rows: 4 x 10 x 40#

(All of the above = upper body PAAAUMP)

Hypers: 4 x 25 x 65#

I don't think any of the other options would have actually made me feel any better. My workout was good, my dinner was good & gave me leftovers for today, I talked on the phone with a friend of mine to get some logistics for an upcoming trip settled, the laundry got done... etc.  Thank you, sheer force of logic making me make good choices. :P 

Gymnastics: 6/7 new skill practices, 1/3 vaulting, 2/3 active split drills

Updated week plan (to keep it straight in my mind): Thursday -  gymnastics practice w/conditioning circuit and split drills + pack for the trip, Friday - dentist + leave early for VT, Saturday - UVM meet + hangs in Burlington, Sunday - maybe winter sports (but it looks like it might rain all day :(), Monday - head back + either gymnastics practice or lift. 

• Like 7

i love the writing out options!! i think if you had really wanted to nap or go to the bar you would have. either way, glad you feel good about your choice :D 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i love the writing out options!! i think if you had really wanted to nap or go to the bar you would have. either way, glad you feel good about your choice :D 

Haha, yeah. If I really wanted to go out or go nap, I don't think I would have written the list. By breaking it down, I didn't see anything so onerous that I would be trying to escape, so it helped me realize it was more my mood than anything actually on my agenda. :)

5 hours ago, raptron said:

UVM meet + hangs in Burlington, Sunday

B-TOWN! My old home! 

I saw Burlington and I was like "there's lots of Burlington's" and then my eyes tracked back and saw UVM :D 

Fun!

16 hours ago, Happienumber said:

B-TOWN! My old home! 

I saw Burlington and I was like "there's lots of Burlington's" and then my eyes tracked back and saw UVM :D 

Fun!

Aw, yay! It is! I haven't been in a few years and I am looking forward to it. :)

giphy.webp

Day 2.4

Ah, practice. It was another tough one. I had slipped in the morning going down the stairs (raptron on ice, indeed) and bruised up my butt and elbow -- nothing serious, but I had a lot to whine about. As I do pretty much every practice, I started on floor with all of my skill warm-ups before moving into cross tumbling. I landed two out of four front handspring + front pike +  front tucks? I think it'll be worth warming up on Saturday to see how it goes. If I make it in warm-up, I'll try it in my routine maybe? My step-outs have felt kind of off lately so it'd be nice not to have to do that pass.

Beam was a disaster. I just could not stay on on my turns or get any good round-offs out of my front walkovers. I tried two routines and got frustrated and left to go to bars. It's pretty uncommon for me to get mad at an event, but I was really annoyed last night. 

I went to bars planning to just do it as I would in the meet -- one warm-up for low bar skills, one warm-up for high bar skills, and one routine. These went pretty okay! Much better than they had at the meet. I have to take an extra swing to get into the flyaway from the free-hip, but that is something that I am working on as a new transition so it's okay to take the baby step for now! :)

I went back to beam to do one more routine and it went a lot better. I still fell on the fwo + round-off, but made the connection cleanly and stayed on for everything else. Ended with some split drills -- I did the wall portions snagged from here -- and 5 rounds of a sprint circuit for aerobic conditioning. Plus 3 sets of 3 standing back tucks on floor and 5 press handstands from about 2 inches of panel mat. My org is going for the world record of most people doing standing back tucks at a one time in April, which is kind of cheesy, but I'd like to participate, so I'm getting my standing back tucks back up to snuff. I wouldn't be mad if I got them comfortable enough to throw out in the muggle world on the beach or something, but my ankles probably disagree. ;) 

Gymnastics: 7/7 new skill practices, 1/3 vaulting, 3/3 active split drills

Conditioning: 3/3 THINGs

Food and bev: 4/6 max over challenge, 2/2 breakfast thunderdome

I didn't vault because my ankle was still being a little funny from Saturday andddd there were some mats I was too lazy to move, tbh. I will tentatively still plan on vaulting on Saturday. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

you upped your pastry count but didn't tell us about it...

4 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

^ this

Ahhh, you're right, I forgot. I apologize!!!

giphy.gif

It was a delicious pecan sticky bun situation from Iggy's with laminated dough and lots of pecans:

o.jpg

They're not as filling as my preferred scones, but dang if they aren't delicious. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2019 at 7:02 AM, raptron said:

Yay, you have gifted lifting to another soul! The world is surely a better place.