• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sylph

sylph stays simple

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nope, but I ate them in normal size bites instead of stuffing them in my cakehole 2-3 at a time  ;)

I see, that is indeed very grown up.

Rounded out zero week with an hour of yard work on Saturday to deal with a tree that came down and an actual workout yesterday for 4/5 on the workout/movement front.

Lots of pontificating about food last week, so good on that for now. More to come over the next few weeks, likely.

Work-wise, got some feedback on an abstract that my collaborators and I submitted to a conference, so revised that. Sent it in this morning, so it technically falls into week 1 activities. Also in week 1 activities is the poster for said conference. It isn't until April, but I worked on a draft this morning and sent it off to my collaborators after lunch. Woo!

Committee work languishes in the fact that I can't get half my committee to respond to me, so there's that. I will ping folks again this week so we can set up a conference call sooner rather than later.

Spent ~30 minutes clearing the 1.5" of snow off the driveway this morning, so 1/5 off the bat. We're supposed to get a wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain over night with 30+ mph winds, so that should be fun to deal with in the morning.

Also, I came into my office today and it smells strongly of solvent--like someone left the caps off of a dozen Sharpies and dry erase markers all weekend. I can't find a source, though. I've been in my office for about 2 hours after some morning meetings and may need to find somewhere else to work for the afternoon. This is rough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sylph said:

I've been in my office for about 2 hours after some morning meetings and may need to find somewhere else to work for the afternoon. This is rough.

Ugh, hope you find someplace to work that isn't going to make you sick

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ugh, hope you find someplace to work that isn't going to make you sick

Turns out it was citrus gone bad--I had a bag of Cuties in my desk. Apparently one went rapidly south over the weekend. Rotten orange = strong smell of acetone? Weird. Anyway, tossed out the offending fruit and all was well.

Currently iced in at home (again) as the current storm dropped a couple inches of snow followed by a crust of freezing rain/sleet. It's supposed to pause here in a bit, so I'll be getting out to see if I can tackle the mess before it rains this afternoons, freezes overnight and then snows again tomorrow. Such a fun winter we're having.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, raptron said:

Ughhh, these ice storms are killer! 

Seriously. I am DONE with winter.

On the plus side, the hour-ish of scraping the ice from the driveway means my movement goal for the day is nailed. 2/5

Now, things are melting-ish. It is supposed to rain, then freeze, then snow overnight again so I may or may not be stuck in my house tomorrow morning. Again. Fortunately my boss and coworkers are super understanding about all of this. We are used to winter and the stupid things it does.

On the work side--I'm getting slow progress on my committee. We at least have a time on the books for a teleconference, so that's something. We are all busy people, but sometimes it feels like herding cats!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sylph said:

Seriously. I am DONE with winter.

On the plus side, the hour-ish of scraping the ice from the driveway means my movement goal for the day is nailed. 2/5

Now, things are melting-ish. It is supposed to rain, then freeze, then snow overnight again so I may or may not be stuck in my house tomorrow morning. Again. Fortunately my boss and coworkers are super understanding about all of this. We are used to winter and the stupid things it does.

Yuck on the weather, but yay on the movement goal!!

17 minutes ago, sylph said:

On the work side--I'm getting slow progress on my committee. We at least have a time on the books for a teleconference, so that's something. We are all busy people, but sometimes it feels like herding cats!

Ewww, that's frustrating. I hope it starts to even out. Even cats can, occasionally, be reasoned with :D

16 hours ago, sylph said:

Progress is progress! It's hard when it doesn't feel like making projects like this a priority in their schedule. 

18 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Ewww, that's frustrating. I hope it starts to even out. Even cats can, occasionally, be reasoned with :D

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Progress is progress! It's hard when it doesn't feel like making projects like this a priority in their schedule. 

I think we are all verifiably busy people. Across three timezones. That in and of itself is tough. Add in the fact that the actual work of this committee is sporadic (though very important)  and I think it easily doesn't become a priority for most people.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sylph said:

I am DONE with winter.

Quoting this for emphasis.

Another 30+ minutes with a shovel in the driveway this morning so it would be passable to get to work (3/5), which it was and I was on time, even though the roads were crap.

Now it's been snowing most of the morning and so I'm sure there will be another 2-3 inches on the driveway when I get home. No ice in the forecast, though so I may just say screw it, park at the bottom and walk up tonight and down in the morning.

• Sad 1

On 2/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, Happienumber said:

Oh my land! Congradulations on getting to work on time with all the snow plus crappy roads!! 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:28 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Good grief - that is a veritable onslaught of winter weather!

It's been fairly ridiculous. Way more ice than we usually get. For example, last night it warmed up to 40F+ during the evening commute and for most of the night so everything melted (hooray!) then dropped precipitously starting around 4am so everything was covered in a layer of black ice this morning (Boo! Hiss!).

• Sad 1

Hey--I actually did a non-shoveling-related workout last night. (4/5)

High rep/light weight barbell squats--it's been awhile since I've done actual BB squats, so I spent of reps under just the bar re-familiarizing myself with the movement.

Then a few sets of glute bridges to ensure the booty got a lot of work, followed by calf raises (mostly for the stretching part of the negative, since I wore heels yesterday).

It's been a long time since I've gotten on the scale, so I hopped on this morning "just to see" As expected, I'm maintaining where I almost always maintain. No real surprises, given the way I've been eating, but also I couldn't stop a stab of disappointment that I wasn't magically 5 lbs lighter for no reason.

• Like 2

Haha, you might not be magically lighter, but you're magically maintaining, which I still think is a neat thing that (some) bodies do! :) Go, go, booty work.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, raptron said:

Haha, you might not be magically lighter, but you're magically maintaining, which I still think is a neat thing that (some) bodies do! :) Go, go, booty work.

True, true.

• Like 1

Got in another actual workout on Sunday (5/5) with BB bench press, DB OHP, and some chest flyes.

This morning, I shoveled some tire tracks through the 3-4 inches of snow that fell last night/this morning so I could get to work. (1/5)

• Like 2

Week 1 Summary

Move

5/5--some combination of driveway clearing and actual workouts

Food

Some thoughts on eating mindfully, getting on the scale for a reality check and then being surprised by the insta-negativity I felt about the number.

Work

Committee teleconference scheduled for this week. Poster draft for mini conference due next week (waiting on collaborator input on that one).

Solid week 1, overall.

• Like 3