• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski tries some process goals

On 2/16/2019 at 7:15 AM, Gemma said:

And I don't think I have ever heard the phrase 'work mom' before, but I love it and am stealing adopting it - I am older, in some cases considerably older, than all of my coshirkers, but I do have close mentor/mentee or just mutual support relationships with a few of them, and 'work mom' describes it better than 'work husband/wife' (because eww, most of them really are the same age as my kids or even younger!) 

You are absolutely a work mom, coulda told you that months ago hearing you talk about "your" marines. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:15 PM, scalyfreak said:

Yep, all of this sounds very familiar. I'm 20+ years away from high school and appreciate the lack of people like that more and more every day. :)

Oh ya, I don't miss the way most people acted in high school (myself included), though I wish I had been a little (a LOT) more chill with my self-image and maybe made a few more close friends in the process. Though my current roster of friends is awesome, so things worked out just fine.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, Harriet said:

There are lots of reasons you might not be in touch with people from high school. The people with the most contacts are usually charismatic enough, but their main trait is they put more work into into keeping in touch, I think. 

Oh, I know for me a lot of it is that I've never built the ritual of reaching out to long-distance friends - it's only in the past year that I've even had a consistent time / day of the week to call and keep in touch with my parents. But also, I wasn't that close with most folks in high school, so losing touch wasn't a big deal - college was where more of my close friendships formed.

Ooof. That's a long list of not-enoughs and it makes me want to cry because it must be truly exhausting. This may seem random, but I have to ask: have you ever thought about what makes a good person? If we tried to define it, I don't think tall, fit, thin, or even smart would make the list. I mention this because personally I feel calmer and better in myself if I treat my value as coming from 1. my status as a sentient creature capable of feeling and thought* and 2. character virtues and decent behaviour. It's hard because our societies tend to focus on flashy innate gifts & traits/grand achievements/impressive performance, but these are not what makes a good person. Chasing them can be interesting and worthwhile, but it won't make us worthy. Anyway, I have not-enough thoughts, and sometimes refocusing on what really matters helps a little: like "hmmm my legs look fat in these gym shorts I was valiant today". 

It's a list that's mostly in my past, don't worry. But for whatever reason, simply being a good person has never felt like enough - I want to be a good person who does things that are good in the world, which I don't think is inherently a bad impulse but can kinda get out of hand when it leads to feeling like you're never doing enough because you're not excelling in all the things (again, a statement which mostly applies to my past). 

*I believe you have a faith. What does it say about the value you have simply by existing?

My faith absolutely says that all humans have inherent worth and dignity - but I'm not always the best at incorporating that into my thinking in the moment when feeling less than enough.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, Gemma said:

Trying desperately to be (slender/pretty/charming/sexy/smart/fun/nice/accomplished/likable) "enough" (for who? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) pretty much cost me 90% of the potential enjoyment of my teens, 20s, and early 30s, while also granting me all of the baggage that came with two reallybad marriages -> divorces.

In other words, I took a hella long time to figure out that I'm a bloody decent human being without making any efforts whatever to be something other than who I actually am, and I heartily applaud all of you who are doing this work at an earlier life-stage than I managed. Or the same life-stage. Or really whenever you are right now. Bravo!

QueasyWaterloggedCapeghostfrog-small.gif 

Thanks! It's been quite the journey of my 20's too (and not necessarily done with the struggles, but it did lead to a prettybad engagement -> broken engagement - thankfully with no lawyers involved). I also have a feeling this is the type of work that never totally ends, per se, as much as evolves with the life stages.

Through the magic of social media, I have reconnected with the three people from high school who liked me for who I was then, and  they all turned out to be pretty awesome humans in the now. As for the ones that I was so desperate to impress back then - I mostly don't remember their names. (Context - I'm 52 and have severe ADHD and a TBI, so I have to be sorta selective about what I even try to remember :P ) 

That's really awesome to hear! I know some of the people who I got along well enough with are pretty awesome these days, I'm just terrible at staying in touch long-distance.

There is nothing about this that does not sound AWESOME! 

It was quite excellent - and it was one of my first times successfully suggesting / planning an activity with this group of friends (I am not normally the one planning social things, ever, but I want to slowly change that a bit).

I love this a few different ways - your description of the benefits is exactly why I love BuJo, not excessive pre-planning, what is delta today, and a visual of what I have accomplished. Also, I am glad that people are still teaching and using kanban boards, I haven't heard or thought of those since my early professional certifications days but they are a good tool.

Haha I didn't realize Kanban boards had such a history - I thought they were very recent, like last 10-ish years in American .

And I don't think I have ever heard the phrase 'work mom' before, but I love it and am stealing adopting it - I am older, in some cases considerably older, than all of my coshirkers, but I do have close mentor/mentee or just mutual support relationships with a few of them, and 'work mom' describes it better than 'work husband/wife' (because eww, most of them really are the same age as my kids or even younger!) 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, raptron said:

I definitely have a work mom too! :)

God bless work moms (and dads) everywhere - they make our workplaces so much better. And @Gemma, I totally pictured you wearing billionaire swag with an "of course I upgraded to the newest model for my work husband" smile standing next to a young marine while reading that sentence (and that's absolutely why work spouse is such a weird phrasing to me).

Drive by challenge update / week 1 wrap up:

• Presence - hitting my admittedly low bar here - I'm finding at least brief states of flow and I'm not missing having my phone present for every last ping of a notification; and I'm finding it mostly leads to more fun little bits of conversation with the people around me, like I was hoping it would
  • Food plan - following it pretty well - I think there were one or two incidents of mindless dessert munching, but otherwise pretty on point from an "eat what'll fuel you for athletic performance" perspective
  • Rest - automated wind down is working really well, though I think it needs to creep ever so slightly earlier since 7.5 isn't feeling like enough after a really taxing training weekend
  • Intentions - still loving my work Kanban board, and planning to make a personal one at home once I order some supplies for it (read: giant wall-mounted board) - but that'll be a post NYC project
  • Armor - mostly good; there's one guy at the dance studio I CANNOT stand, so I find it hard to not armor up around him - but I've had my partner nearby to help keep me from getting too rankled by this guy's obnoxious habits (assuming that everyone will do whatever he asks, mostly, / general early 20's and not having really fended for himself immaturity like not dumping out his coffee when he's finished with it for the day and playing the music he's using at MAXIMUM volume as if that'll magically help his student stay on time any more than him yelling the counts at her the whole time... :facepalm:)

This weekend was kinda a whirlwind:

• LONG training days (4+ hours) Friday - Monday - thankfully this is not typical and just the result of shifted schedules (Thursday practice moved to Friday, normal rest of week practices pushed to Monday - Wednesday to accommodate my flight)
  • Started my next grad school course - fundamentals of statistics (which is not as introductory as it sounds, there have been problems that assume familiarity with calculus-based probability modeling already) in earnest; I've got to finish two units (out of ~15 weeks of work) before leaving for NYC so there
  • Went to the gym for active recovery swim (Saturday - felt great to get in the pool), mobility / prehab / elasticity work (Sunday) and strength (Monday) - the program I'm doing is starting to ramp up after 3 weeks of "foundations" work - I'm really liking some of the things that got added (including BB bench for the first time in a year - oddly felt way easier to be mindful of good arm/bar path now than it did over a year ago when I was more in practice at benching) - I normally wouldn't go on Sunday, but I shifted everything this week up by a day so that I wouldn't miss a workout while in NYC
  • Also did the usual meal prep and went for a suuuuper late dinner with my dance partner after practice on Friday - didn't have the oomph for a whole lotta socializing besides that on Saturday / Sunday / Monday with the long training days plus the gym (but the good thing is, there's none of the bad kind of pain from the training weekend)

And this weekend I'm heading to NYC!!! I'll be seeing an off-Broadway play, touristing around with some Texas friends, seeing a local friend or two, plus hanging out with some of my dance family and cheering on some of my girls (plus a former dance partner who I'm on GOOD terms with) as they compete in their first big girl competition! It's gonna be a really awesome weekend and I can't wait! Just gotta get through the week - I'll probably be instant replaying my goals on the weekdays, and focused mainly on presence and savoring the moment while I'm in NYC (and maybe journaling as a way to help preserve most of the really good moments into memory).

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

fundamentals of statistics (which is not as introductory as it sounds, there have been problems that assume familiarity with calculus-based probability modeling already

Lolz.

Super fundamental, for sure. :P

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Drive by challenge update / week 1 wrap up:

• Presence - hitting my admittedly low bar here - I'm finding at least brief states of flow and I'm not missing having my phone present for every last ping of a notification; and I'm finding it mostly leads to more fun little bits of conversation with the people around me, like I was hoping it would
  • Food plan - following it pretty well - I think there were one or two incidents of mindless dessert munching, but otherwise pretty on point from an "eat what'll fuel you for athletic performance" perspective
  • Rest - automated wind down is working really well, though I think it needs to creep ever so slightly earlier since 7.5 isn't feeling like enough after a really taxing training weekend
  • Intentions - still loving my work Kanban board, and planning to make a personal one at home once I order some supplies for it (read: giant wall-mounted board) - but that'll be a post NYC project
  • Armor - mostly good; there's one guy at the dance studio I CANNOT stand, so I find it hard to not armor up around him - but I've had my partner nearby to help keep me from getting too rankled by this guy's obnoxious habits (assuming that everyone will do whatever he asks, mostly, / general early 20's and not having really fended for himself immaturity like not dumping out his coffee when he's finished with it for the day and playing the music he's using at MAXIMUM volume as if that'll magically help his student stay on time any more than him yelling the counts at her the whole time... :facepalm:)

Looking good! I think it's actually fine to have the occasional person you don't like much. 

Have fun in NY! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Looking good! I think it's actually fine to have the occasional person you don't like much. 

Not only fine, it's actually recommended. If you force yourself to like everyone, including people who are very inconsiderate and perhaps even mean (whether they realize it or not), all you will end up with is emotional bruises as you gradually lose your ability to accurately judge a person's character.

Armor fills a valuable purpose - sometimes you actually do need that extra protection.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2019 at 1:14 PM, sylph said:

Lolz.

Super fundamental, for sure. :P

:P I think you're kidding - though it's totally fundamental to understanding statistics, it's also frustrating that some problems hinge on me remembering that the limit as n->inf of some series is e^x or some similar nonsense - but for now, I've made myself content with about a B average in the class, and that's looking doable even with being very rusty on 3-D calc and some of the finer nuances there (also, the deeper we go into statistical concepts, the more stuff's clicking for me).

On 2/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

have so much fun this weekend!!

On 2/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, Harriet said:

Have fun in NY! 

On 2/25/2019 at 7:05 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Have fun in NYC!

Thanks all - it was an absolute BLAST!!!

On 2/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, Harriet said:

On 2/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, scalyfreak said:

Not only fine, it's actually recommended. If you force yourself to like everyone, including people who are very inconsiderate and perhaps even mean (whether they realize it or not), all you will end up with is emotional bruises as you gradually lose your ability to accurately judge a person's character.

Armor fills a valuable purpose - sometimes you actually do need that extra protection.

True enough - but even though I don't like this particular guy, I want to do a better job than I'm doing at extending some miniscule amount of olive branch for friendship. He's never gonna be my bestie, but we have to interact as fellow teachers in a small youth program, so gotta at least be cordial (and part of the annoyance can be chalked up to ESL issues - no fault of his, really).

NYC trip:

• Fit in two separate nerd meetups and they were awesome! Adventured all day with one, grabbed dinner and went to a random bar that turned out to be a KICKASS dueling pianos night with the other - all in all a great time!
  • Ate all the delicious things: plenty of bagels, some NYC slices of pizza, and a cannoli *flight* from an italian market somewhere in Manhattan; also a badass tapas dinner one night and creative empanadas another
  • Walked ALL OVER most of manhattan (greenwich village through midtown, plus to/from the UES where I was staying) and saw all kinds of cool things - a super cool public library, a park on an old subway line, a GIANT used bookstore, the stonewall inn and monument, and plenty more that I'm forgetting to name
  • Got to watch my kiddos ROCK IT at the competition this weekend and walked away inspired from seeing other young amateurs who work hard at their craft (even if they're leading different life paths than I am). They were also VISIBLY excited to see me when I arrived which was so fun and heartwarming - love my kids!
  • Saw "Puffs" off-broadway and it was FREAKING PHENOMENAL - well-done play with many great jokes (including some accidentally educational material for the 10-year old dancekid in the group)

Will update on goals and stuff later. Plus some less fun stuff that's thankfully blown over.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

True enough - but even though I don't like this particular guy, I want to do a better job than I'm doing at extending some miniscule amount of olive branch for friendship. He's never gonna be my bestie, but we have to interact as fellow teachers in a small youth program, so gotta at least be cordial (and part of the annoyance can be chalked up to ESL issues - no fault of his, really).

Absolutely valid points. Armor is for defense, not for attacking. We have sarcasm for that. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, additional update: I had a rough time on my birthday last Wednesday - thankfully my dance partner is amazing and helped me pull through it during practice and after. But it was ROUGH. Work is still pretty solid, I've officially got a mentor and it's the guy I'm most excited to have in my corner for it, so all in all good stuff.

Life update: I got asked yesterday to fill in for a dance teacher who's leaving our youth program, so I'll be teaching both ballroom and latin to my youths now - very exciting to take a tiny step forward in my slash career (that also doubles my teaching time) - and I'll be working with some brand new little ones, which is awesome. I haven't worked with complete beginners since my first semester teaching, and I'm excited to see how I do this time / how some ideas I have percolating for a beginner curriculum work in practice.

Armor: On the whole, doing ok here - I'm getting more comfortable talking about myself with newer people at work and at dance and I can feel a difference in the number of human connections I'm making vs. the old way. Goal here will be to keep catching when I've gone into "shields up" mode and coax myself into opening up a little bit more with people I'm comfortable with.

Presence: I was reasonably proud of how I did here - when I was in NYC, I managed to have really long stretches without even thinking of my phone, which is definitely the long-term goal I'm aspiring to there. Goal here is to again have some hour-plus stretches at work where my phone stays hidden and have my phone on airplane mode for dance practices - except when I need to look up a video on facebook for the choreography I'm learning.

Food plan: Intentionally took a pause for NYC, got right back on the plan when I came back - nothing more to report here, which is a good thing. Goal here is more of the same for the last week.

Rest: Ok if not amazing here - sleep hasn't dipped below 6 hours any night, but the extra time demands on my schedule (getting in earlier at work so I can make it to teach an earlier class) hasn't been smooth yet. Still gotta iron out some efficiencies in my morning and evening routines, but I'll get there. Goal for the next week is to keep tweaking my routines and see how much more rest I can eek out. This weekend I'm planning to pre-prep veggies I can have on the side for dinner, which should hopefully help a bunch on that front.

Intentions: I've resurrected a variation of my "10 minute toughness" routine from a couple years ago and it's working out pretty well so far - haven't integrated it into my routine as fully as I would like, but I'm making time for some of it on my drive to the gym every morning, which is better than nothing. Also finding that I'm setting a focus for dance when I walk into practice and staying with that focus the whole time. Goal is to keep having clear goals at practice and keep setting manageable micro goals during the work day.

It's weird doing all my goals as a purely qualitative evaluation, but this feels right for now.

Freezing fog this morning left my car windshields iced over - that didn't help me getting to the gym on time either, but I know that's more of a temporary condition that'll subside soon.

• Like 2

what an amazing sounding trip!!! i hope it made you feel revived especially after a bad day last wednesday. i think you should just count your birthday this year as your time in NYC :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what an amazing sounding trip!!! i hope it made you feel revived especially after a bad day last wednesday. i think you should just count your birthday this year as your time in NYC :) 

Yup, we're for sure just gonna gloss over the wednesday bit with all but the closest of friends - NYC definitely made up for it and left me feeling energized in spite of it actually being quite physically taxing. :D so much walking!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhhh, sounds like a good trip! :D And yay for a mentor in your corner at work. 

:D yep, it was great - and I'm likewise very excited about the mentoring, he and I have a lot of common ground but over a decade of age gap so kind of perfect for being able to benefit from the experience of a mentor in my role.

Yesterday was a day full of blergh, didn't do much of anything productive at work and felt like I made very minimal progress learning the kids' choreo at dance practice as well (they have a competition very soon, and I'll be partnering about half of them in both ballroom and latin - and the latin choreo is new stuff that I'm not super comfortable dancing yet). The one win for the day was that I recognized I was super tired and unproductive and didn't try to drown it in excess coffee or sweet treats, which has been a not terribly effective strategy I've tried in the past.

Got some good rest last night though, and I woke up feeling like a happy and productive human again. At least this is another data point that rest is super important for me?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

The one win for the day was that I recognized I was super tired and unproductive and didn't try to drown it in excess coffee or sweet treats

That is a big win though. I need to learn how to do this.

Did you do something else, like drink more water, go for  walk, or something similar to replace the coffee and treats?

29 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

That is a big win though. I need to learn how to do this.

Did you do something else, like drink more water, go for  walk, or something similar to replace the coffee and treats?

I wish - I self-flagellated over getting very little done and was generally kind of a lump - but I was semi self-aware in the moment so there was a little progress.

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yesterday was a day full of blergh, didn't do much of anything productive at work and felt like I made very minimal progress learning the kids' choreo at dance practice as well (they have a competition very soon, and I'll be partnering about half of them in both ballroom and latin - and the latin choreo is new stuff that I'm not super comfortable dancing yet). The one win for the day was that I recognized I was super tired and unproductive and didn't try to drown it in excess coffee or sweet treats, which has been a not terribly effective strategy I've tried in the past.

Got some good rest last night though, and I woke up feeling like a happy and productive human again. At least this is another data point that rest is super important for me?

GOOD FUCKING WORK.

Rest is king.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:20 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

Ok, additional update: I had a rough time on my birthday last Wednesday - thankfully my dance partner is amazing and helped me pull through it during practice and after. But it was ROUGH. Work is still pretty solid, I've officially got a mentor and it's the guy I'm most excited to have in my corner for it, so all in all good stuff.

Armor: On the whole, doing ok here - I'm getting more comfortable talking about myself with newer people at work and at dance and I can feel a difference in the number of human connections I'm making vs. the old way. Goal here will be to keep catching when I've gone into "shields up" mode and coax myself into opening up a little bit more with people I'm comfortable with.

Sorry about the bad birthday, that's no good :/ 

But your armor progress is great! It can be super hard to make these emotional, difficult-to-quantify changes. So if you notice a difference that's excellent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptron said:

GOOD FUCKING WORK.

THANKS! 

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Rest is king.

Rest ueber alles.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sorry about the bad birthday, that's no good :/ 

It actually might be a two years in a row trend - dunno why but maybe it's a perfect storm of post-Christmas, SAD, and societal expectations to make birthdays a big deal that always combines on me.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

But your armor progress is great! It can be super hard to make these emotional, difficult-to-quantify changes. So if you notice a difference that's excellent. 

Thanks - it's been a journey for sure, but I'm appreciating the results.

Just got back from lunch with my work mentor - definitely the start of a good relationship with plenty of candor AND practical advice on how to do good work while letting the unimportant things go. REALLY excited about this!

Your trip sounded awesome! :D 

18 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Since you're doing stats - how many data points will it take before we learn this? ;) 

On 2/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Presence: I was reasonably proud of how I did here - when I was in NYC, I managed to have really long stretches without even thinking of my phone, which is definitely the long-term goal I'm aspiring to there. Goal here is to again have some hour-plus stretches at work where my phone stays hidden and have my phone on airplane mode for dance practices - except when I need to look up a video on facebook for the choreography I'm learning.

So here's something I've been pondering. I know that a lot of the recommendations for helping with this is to leave your phone in a different room, turn off notifications, content blockers etc etc. But I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a bit the same as dieting, if you focus too much on NOT eating the cookies, you'll only want to eat the cookies more. But if you instead fill up on nutritious food the cookies become secondary, in the same way as when you're present in what you're doing, like in NYC or doing fun things or hanging out with friends you'll automatically start ignoring the phone? At least for me I've noticed that when I start doing the phone/internet clicky thing it's usually a sign that I'm simply bored or tired or procrastinating, but if I'm doing something I can happily stay away for hours even if the phone's right next to me. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a bit the same as dieting, if you focus too much on NOT eating the cookies, you'll only want to eat the cookies more. But if you instead fill up on nutritious food the cookies become secondary, in the same way as when you're present in what you're doing, like in NYC or doing fun things or hanging out with friends you'll automatically start ignoring the phone? At least for me I've noticed that when I start doing the phone/internet clicky thing it's usually a sign that I'm simply bored or tired or procrastinating, but if I'm doing something I can happily stay away for hours even if the phone's right next to me. 

This is wisdom and truth.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Since you're doing stats - how many data points will it take before we learn this? ;) 

So here's something I've been pondering. I know that a lot of the recommendations for helping with this is to leave your phone in a different room, turn off notifications, content blockers etc etc. But I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a bit the same as dieting, if you focus too much on NOT eating the cookies, you'll only want to eat the cookies more. But if you instead fill up on nutritious food the cookies become secondary, in the same way as when you're present in what you're doing, like in NYC or doing fun things or hanging out with friends you'll automatically start ignoring the phone? At least for me I've noticed that when I start doing the phone/internet clicky thing it's usually a sign that I'm simply bored or tired or procrastinating, but if I'm doing something I can happily stay away for hours even if the phone's right next to me. 

Crowding out rather than restricting. Good idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Haha thanks those were exactly the words I was looking for. :lol:

On 3/2/2019 at 3:54 AM, Mad Hatter said:

:D  that it was! I forget how at home I feel in big cities where you can walk or public transit almost anywhere (even if walking 40 blocks because the subway was out and my kids were starting their competition very soon was NOT a fun power walk to do one morning :lol:)

I think we need quite a bit more before there's a good alpha and beta level for this test. :P But in all seriousness, started a mood / energy daily tracker so I can hopefully have a mechanism that forces me to think "hey buddy, you should probably reconfigure your evening plans to make time for more sleep tonight" before it drags on for a couple days.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:52 PM, scalyfreak said:

This is wisdom and truth.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:07 AM, Harriet said:

I really like this! And also hate it, because I read it right after I made an elaborate tracker page in my BuJo, lol.

Weekend Update: 

Highlights:

- Lots of productive dance time and socializing in the studio

- First first date in several months

- Taught multiple fun dance lessons

- Made an awesome baked ziti (pasta, veggies, and a buttload of cheese and sauce) for the week's meals

- My apartment feels clean again

Lowlights:

- Super tired this morning (due to my own poor choices)

- Date was a little mediocre

Friday: Pretty lazy day at work, laid the foundation to make progress on things this week but didn't get a whole lot accomplished (aside from previously mentioned mentor lunch, which was excellent and soul filling). Then booked it over to the dance studio where partner and I took a lesson then practiced for another 2 hours afterwards. The lesson focused on getting all of our hip and body action to be for a purpose (like moving us across the floor in one figure, changing directions in another, and just showing movement in place in a third) and it was a real game changer for both of us (especially my partner, who struggles to put hip and body action in and keep it consistent). Also got the first half of our choreography for samba and started working on putting it together as a unit and getting it to flow. After practice I went home, maybe wound down for a little bit, and was asleep pretty quick.

Saturday: Usual-ish Saturday routine for me - wake up, make myself semi-presentable and make my way to pick up groceries. Then cleaned my apartment up a bit, which was sorely needed after a couple weeks of neglect (my kitchen floors had sooooo may crumbs on them, lol) and did some laundry before heading to dance practice. Practice mostly focused on continuing to apply the info from Friday's lesson, plus some reps of all our other routines to keep them up and running and competition ready (since we're competing them all at the end of the month). After practice, I taught a student, focusing on getting her to dance bigger and just have more fun (hard to work on, but so worth it when we make progress) and headed home to get ready for a date. The date itself was pretty mediocre, but it was the first one in a while so at least I put myself out there again - we'll count it as a win. Side note: I always feel weird when I'm out on a date and I have a pretty good hunch that the other guy makes quite a bit less than me but he still insists on picking up the tab (this guy number dropped his overtime rate, which converting backwards made me realize I earn approximately *double* his salary). I guess the best I can do is say thanks, because "nah, we should at least split it - I feel guilty having you pick up the tab for me" is not a way to make anyone feel good at the end of a date; or maybe I should insist on picking up the tab?

Sunday: Woke up, downed a quick breakfast and shambled my butt over to church before a long day of dance - simulated competition rounds, an hour working on our samba, then group class which was also a gold mine of info about coordinating the movements between pairs of joints on opposite sides of the body. It's info I SORELY needed and I'm so excited to start applying it in my solo practice. Quickly ran home for a snack before coming back to teach another lesson - this time one of my itty bitty ones to catch her up on a few missed classes plus work on her fundamentals - it included me making lots of jokes about my chest being off-limits to look at, which had the desired effect of getting her head to stay to the left where it needs to go in ballroom frame. Then scurried home and napped for a bit before going all out on meal prep - all my usual snacks for the week plus a baked ziti with bell peppers and spinach inside with wilted kale on the side. And then wound down and got to bed a little late because of tired scrolling syndrome (the dreaded TSS).

I didn't have a lot that was explicitly social this weekend, but I made a real conscious effort to chat with people in passing in the dance studio so I still felt like I scratched that itch - I know a couple people a little better and have a few more faces I can emphatically greet when I see them in the studio.

This morning was BRUTAL - went to the gym then had back-to-back doctor's appointments: physical and bloodwork which I had to fast for and monthly allergy shot. My body's not taking kindly to all the shots plus the disrupted schedule, but thankfully tonight's plan isn't physically taxing - just washing some laundry, roasting some veggies and doing grad school work that I've fallen a bit behind on. Also gonna be a week of early mornings - I do want to make it to Ash Wednesday service, but that means making it to church before a 6:30 am start which is BRUTALLY early.

• Like 2