Rogue One: A Story Leading Up To A New Hope

Rogue One is my alter ego name

(Warning there will be a Star Wars theme)

ORIGIN Story:

I was just your average guy, from the outside you might even have though I was pretty happy, after all, I had it pretty good. I was a barely in my twenties university student with a decent GPA, I played competitive level soccer, had a beautiful girlfriend, lived an active lifestyle for the most part and was even a member in the reserve army forces. However, things, as they tend to be, were not all they seemed. I hated my body, I felt disgusted by my slumped shoulders, my stomach that never showed even the slightest trace of abs and my man-boobs.

"Fear is the path to the dark side, Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate..” -Yoda

Well, as usual, he was right, and it works the other way too. My hatred for my body led me to a constant anger at myself. Anger at getting worse and worse as time went on, anger at having the information to fix the problem, but not the strength to commit to it. That anger then lead to fear. The fear that the people I knew and cared about, my friends, girlfriend, family, teammates, would find out about my disgusting body, my fast food habits, my continuous nights spent lying in my bed binging Netflix and mindlessly eating all the junk food I could get my hands on. The fear that would not let me leave my house in just a t-shirt because people might see the outline of my stomach or my weak shoulders. The fear that made me claim a family emergency anytime swimming/hot-tubbing or anything involving being shirtless was even a possibility. So, there I was, living in my dark side, when things took a turn to the bright side…I decided enough was enough. This moment came, when I had just moved out of my parent’s house, gotten promoted and was about to start training for a marathon. All good things, except that there was a problem. I didn’t find myself happy or proud, all I did was sit around, waste my time in a slump thinking about my hatred, anger and fear. That was when I knew it had to change. Now, I had tried to change before, but I could never commit to anything longer term. However, by looking at my strengths and weaknesses I had a plan this time around. I would solve my weakness to longer-term commitment by staying accountable with other people, because one of my strengths is that I have a lot of trouble letting others down. Therefore, I decided for the fitness related side of my goals I would post a daily log in a public place (here) and join a group for doing my long runs with during the marathon training. That brings us to the present, where I am beginning my training and starting a new chapter in my life, slowly but surely.

General Outline of Fitness Goals/Plans: (more goals will probably be added later, and not all goals will be worked on at once, baby steps)

1. Update Daily posts 

-2 weeks of daily posts (100% minimum)   (10 points)

-1 month of daily posts (90% minimum)   (20 points)

-2 months of daily post (85% minimum)    (30 points)

-Post pictures bi-weekly   (10 points)

2. Run the marathon on May 26, 2019   (100 points)

-Complete 90% of runs in training program   (75 points)

-Spend minimum 5 minutes working on mobility, 6 days/week for 2 weeks   (10 points)

-Spend minimum 10 minutes working on mobility, 6 days/week for 1 month   (20 points)

-Spend minimum 10 minutes working on mobility 6 days/week for 2 months   (30 points)

3. Complete 10 consecutive pull ups   (40 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 3x/week for 2 weeks   (10 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 3x/week for 1 month (90% minimum)   (20 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 3x/week for 2 month (90% minimum)   (30 points)

4. Complete Sally Up push up challenge   (40 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 1x/week  and 2x/week Sally Up challenge for 2 weeks   (10 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 1x/week and 2x/week Sally Up challenge for 1 month (90% minimum)   (20 points)

-Complete 3 sets, 1x/week and 2x/week Sally Up challenge for 2 month (90% minimum)   (30 points)

5. Change to an 80/20 healthy(paleo-ish) diet

-Track food for 1 month   (20 points)

-Track calories for 2 weeks   (10 points)

-Go 2 weeks eating  fast food max twice (stop carrying debt card)   (10 points)

-Go 1 month eating fast food maximum 3 times (stop carrying debt card)   (20 points)

-Drink only black coffee/tea for 2 weeks   (10 points)

-Have a general weekly food plan ready every Sunday for 1 month   (10 points)

Reward System: 

Level 1: 30 points (A pair of those under shorts leggings for running in the cold)

Level 2:  60 points

Level 3: 100 points

Level 4: 150 points

Level 5: 210 points

Level 6: 280 points

Before Pictures:

Before pic 1.jpg

Before pic 2.jpg

• Like 1

Day 1:

Workout= warm up, 4.3km run (indoor track because its -30C outside :/) and stretch

Sleep: approx 1am-11am, 10 hours, too much but I just feel exhausted in the morning

Food: 2 ground pork burritos (lunch), protein smoothie with banana (dinner), Cashews and cheese (snack), homemade london fog and half frozen banana (nighttime snack)

I'm quite happy to follow your progress so you know there is someone there to whom you are accountable. Well done getting day 1 under your belt.

Second, you're already in pretty decent shape. I could maybe be slightly concerned that your self image does not match reality and that could indicate body dysmorphia. And this could suggest you need to dig a little deeper into yourself to find what might be the source of that. But that's another matter. True, you're not super chunky yet (chunky as in muscles, not flab), but you don't have moobs or a disgusting stomach. Not at all. You're starting from a pretty decent point. :) Don't give yourself such a hard time fella :) 

I look forward to checking in for day 2.

• Like 1

Day 2:

Workout= warm up, 6km run (treadmill because its -30C outside :/), pull ups 4,4,3 and stretch +2 hour walk and about 1 hour dragging snow sleds and putting up tents for time

Sleep: approx 1am-10am, 9 hours, better but still a bit too much 

Food: 2 ground pork burritos (lunch), booster juice smoothie, Cashews and banana, 1/2 frozen banana and work provided dinner so 4 pieces of sushi (1 just salmon, the others california rolls), 1 piece pizza and 1/3 donair. 

Day 3:

Workout= Rest day, but I had a soccer game (1 hour high intensity) and tried the Sally Up challenge, got to 1:03

Sleep: approx 1am-9am, 8 hours, better but I want to closer to (12-7or8am)

Food: Opa lamb wrap with fries, chicken stirfry (carrots and broccoli on noodles), hot chocolate, warm cup milk, 1 protein bar 

Thanks Mikey and I know what you mean but I only work part time (nights and weekends), during the day I'm just a student and  I have a bad habit of skipping my first class of the day :/

Day 5:

Worked all day, ate IMPs (ration package, so basically just chocolate bars) and didn't get to work out. Not much sleep. Posted with day 6 because I didn't have internet access until half way though day 6 when I got back 

Day 6:

Workout= 2.5 hours of pick up soccer (2 games back to back +extra time since no one had the field after us)

Sleep: approx around 4-5hours. 

Food: Chicken wrap with salsa and onions, double double tims coffee, beef/veggie/noodle terriaki and homemade london fog  

Honestly its just been a pretty busy week, it's right in the middle of my midterms and with everything I've had some trouble logging and finding time to run (it's a time drain because I have to drive pretty far to run because its been in -30C and below for the past week so I can't run outside)

Day 9:

workout: 3 rounds of push ups for max reps

Sleep: around 7 hours

food: left over green curie chicken, 2 large coffees and a sandwich with turkey, lettuce and bacon.