Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act V

Harriet

did someone say pork?

i actually really enjoy NF's recipe for pork which i used to make in the crock pot but have done in the instant pot and obviously you could do farflight's cooking method just swap out his dry rub ingredients for the ones in this recipe!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

31 minutes ago, farflight said:

As far as bike balance, is it mainly when you stop/stopping? I ride high on the bike (cause I'm tall), I can't touch the ground when I'm on the seat. My secret...or not secret...slide forward off the seat to place one foot on the ground at stops. When I need to start back up I stand on the pedals to get momentum going.

No, it's all the time, unfortunately. Though stopping and starting come with additional annoyances. I will deal with this at some point, I just can't manage it this challenge, it would be total overload. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

21 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

did someone say pork?

i actually really enjoy NF's recipe for pork which i used to make in the crock pot but have done in the instant pot and obviously you could do farflight's cooking method just swap out his dry rub ingredients for the ones in this recipe!

I sometimes do a dry rub, slow roast chicken thigh that's droolworthy. You can use a bit less sugar imo. https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/07/slow-and-low-dry-rub-oven-chicken/

If I did the pork I would have to use tinfoil or something because there's no slow cooker or crock pot in our current, temporary quarters. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

And it hurts my knees because I keep the seat low due to said balance problems.

Lowering the seat makes balancing the bicycle (and yourself) harder, not easier.

Balance is easier when the human body is standing or sitting tall with the limbs extended. Unsurprisingly so, because that's how it's designed and has functioned since it first learned to walk. Case in point: Stand up, and slowly shift your weight onto one foot until you are standing on one leg. Lift your arms and use them to help you balance as you go, if you need to. When you are stable and steady on your one leg... wrap your arms and your free leg around you around you and sink into a one-legged squat, while staying completely upright and in control of your balance at all times.

See what I mean? It is possible, but balancing was easier when you could use your whole body to help you.

As for hurting your knees, that can lead to long-term joint issues if you're not careful. When you ride a bicycle the joints in your legs - hip, knee, ankle - are moving nonstop, while pushing against resistance. If you're not doing that with good form, you eventually injure yourself. There's a reason that any spin instructor worth the title will instruct their beginners on the critical importance of adjusting the saddle until it is at the right height.

The seat of your bicycle should be tall enough that you can fully extend your leg while you sit on it, but not so high that you overextend the knee. The handle bars should be raised until you can reach them comfortably while sitting up straight on the bicycle, with your upper body at roughly a 50-degree angle. Bending forward too far puts strain on your lower back (strain is a bad word!) and having the handle bars too high puts unnecessary strain on your shoulders, particularly on a non-stationary bicycle that travels over uneven ground.

Or to put this whole thing into warrior speak: When you ride a bicycle your upper body should be able to comfortably assume and stay in the same position it is at the top of a deadlift. When you grip the handle bars, your arms and upper body should be in roughly the same position and angle as they are at the start of the yates barbell row. Your legs should be doing the exact same movement as they do when you squat down to parallel and straighten up again, over and over, as you pedal your bicycle through the world.

TL;DR

The low seat is causing your problems. Raise it to proper height, and practice good form. :P

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

TL;DR

The low seat is causing your problems. Raise it to proper height, and practice good form. :P

I know the seat is too low, it's just that the higher I raise it the more anxious and insecure I feel :( When the time is right to learn properly, I'll practice with the seat up high at a park or somewhere with no cars. 

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I know the seat is too low, it's just that the higher I raise it the more anxious and insecure I feel :( When the time is right to learn properly, I'll practice with the seat up high at a park or somewhere with no cars. 

That's fair enough. Bicycles can very scary when they don't feel stable. The only reason I advise against that, aside from concern for your knees, is that muscle memory is a very real thing. (Even though it's not technically in the muscles.) Your body will learn how to balance on the lower seat, and will have to start over and relearn at least to some extent. If you raise the seat now, you would only have to learn once. ;)

All that said, it is your challenge and your decision, and if it works better for you to ignore everything I said and do things your way that is what you should do. :)

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

muscle memory is a very real thing. (Even though it's not technically in the muscles.) Your body will learn how to balance on the lower seat, and will have to start over and relearn at least to some extent. If you raise the seat now, you would only have to learn once. ;)

Thanks for the advice.This makes sense, it's something I hadn't thought of. It is a good reason for me to raise the seat when I'm ready to attempt cycling again. Right now I'm not cycling at all, just walking.

While you are at it, do they have stationary bikes at your gym? You could use them to experiment with various seat heights until you get a feel for what is most comfortable and efficient for you to use. There's no risk of one of them tipping over. :)

• Like 1

Yay, I just went to my first taekwondo class. I like that I get to do something with other people. I've have been pretty much alone all the time since moving to the USA. "How many sets do you have left" doesn't really count. So it's super nice, the people are sweet. But the warm up made me feel like puking. So I'm going to have to self-regulate and sit out when I need to. Also, I hope it doesn't affect my lifting too much. I'm feeling a bit stiff just now. I expect that will go away within a couple of weeks. I suppose I will need to eat a little more to compensate for the additional activity including walking there and back--I'm not looking to lose weight. Any other thoughts on ensuring my lifting doesn't suffer? 

• Like 2

Arghhhhh I am so sore and tired. Sore in the forearms where I held pads for someone to kick. Sore in the calves which I assume are working to stabilise me while I kick. Sore in the sides - same I guess. Sore through the hips. Apparently I am extremely stiff and or weak when it comes to hip abduction. Something I'm going to work on with little exercises at home, I think. 

And today was heavy deadlift day. I've gone backwards on that, too. Possibly because of sickness, possibly because of tired from taekwondo. But how long would tiredness from a hard workout last? I was thinking food and a good night's sleep would take care of it. Anyway, it doesn't matter if I'm still stuck at 160lb and only managed 2 reps. As long as I keep trying really hard, I will get stronger eventually. 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Anyway, it doesn't matter if I'm still stuck at 160lb and only managed 2 reps. As long as I keep trying really hard, I will get stronger eventually. 

I'm stuck at 145, after doing this for a year longer than you have. If we compared ourselves to each other and used that to measure, I should be a wreck about this. But that is why we don't compare.

Martial arts are a very hard workout. Treat it as one, both when you plan you preparations and when you plan your recovery. If you get injured from your taekwondo escapades it should be from getting carried away awhile sparring, not from insufficient rest. If one day of eating and sleep was enough for a full recovery, DOMS wouldn't be a thing. :)

Auto-correct wants to replace "taekwondo" with "wonderland'". Weird.

51 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Auto-correct wants to replace "taekwondo" with "wonderland'". Weird.

Mine wants to make it teakwood. 

52 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

If one day of eating and sleep was enough for a full recovery, DOMS wouldn't be a thing. :)

Then I'm in for it. I'm going to be doing tkd three times per week, and lifting three times. Sundays off. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Then I'm in for it. I'm going to be doing tkd three times per week, and lifting three times. Sundays off. T

Nah, you'll be fine after the adjustment period. Adjusting probably won't be a lot of fun though.... :P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Nah, you'll be fine after the adjustment period. Adjusting probably won't be a lot of fun though.... :P

Oh good. Short term suffering I can do. I just don't want to suffer indefinitely, you know? 

Second taekwondo lesson today. The warmup was not brutal this time, instead it just got me a bit puffed, so I'm feeling optimistic. I think the instructor got overexcited last time. Everyone is super nice, practising the kicks was fun, and an instructor told me I already have flexibility and power and should focus on balance/form. I was happy that he noticed my POWER. Last time I did taekwondo in my late teens I was about forty pounds lighter than I am now, and very weak and easily exhausted. Things are looking up. Shout out to my legs, which I undervalue because they're not long and thin. I'm sorry for not adoring you more, legs. I'm going to make up for it.

Slightly worried because I have deadlift clinic on Tuesday afternoon, and taekwondo that evening. Oh well. The deadlifts come first, which is good, because they take priority. But it means I may be dragging myself through the class with the post-deadlift coma mood I sometimes get. You know, like when you sit down in the locker room, and leaning down to take your socks off seems too hard, so you just sit there until you forget what you came for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I was happy that he noticed my POWER. Last time I did taekwondo in my late teens I was about forty pounds lighter than I am now, and very weak and easily exhausted. Things are looking up. Shout out to my legs, which I undervalue because they're not long and thin. I'm sorry for not adoring you more, legs. I'm going to make up for it.

We're just going to add this to the long and growing list of How Lifting Makes Everything In Life Better... ;) 

Sqauts, deadlifts, proper taekwondo technique, and you will kick like Bruce Lee in no time. :) 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, Harriet said:

Second taekwondo lesson today. The warmup was not brutal this time, instead it just got me a bit puffed, so I'm feeling optimistic. I think the instructor got overexcited last time. Everyone is super nice, practising the kicks was fun, and an instructor told me I already have flexibility and power and should focus on balance/form. 

Awesomeee. :D 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:19 PM, Harriet said:

Slightly worried because I have deadlift clinic on Tuesday afternoon, and taekwondo that evening. Oh well. The deadlifts come first, which is good, because they take priority. But it means I may be dragging myself through the class with the post-deadlift coma mood I sometimes get. You know, like when you sit down in the locker room, and leaning down to take your socks off seems too hard, so you just sit there until you forget what you came for. 

Class is going to be REAL hard after deadlifts. Fuel up extra and sleep a lot tonight and after taekwondo tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Zero week summary:

Tiny Goals:

I did my 7:30 routine every day. Now 15 days in a row.
I did a little cleaning every day. Now 7 days in a row.
I drank the spearmint tea every day. 7 days in a row.

Other

No interesting updates in lifting. I've had a couple of sessions since being off due to sinus infection, and they have been tough and yielded no PRs. No surprise. I'm wondering if working to failure and using low reps all the time with deadlifts and OHP is ideal. An article I read says no. Will post question in powerlifting thread.

I'm still not one hundred per cent recovered, but I'm starting to get a little bored and am looking for more things to do. But I must resist the temptation to add more quests to my challenge. If I go a bit slower, the worst thing that will happen is I will lose one or two weeks of action towards one new habit. If I go too fast and get overwhelmed and collapse (again) I could lose several weeks off multiple habits. So I am not adding any mini habits this week, especially since I went off plan and added three taekwondo classes per week with additional hours of walking. Instead, to avoid sickness-recovery-boredom, I just need to remember that reading books is an option when I start bored, mindless internetting.

This week I felt anxiety about writing classes, taekwondo classes, a tax and banking related telephone call, and, of all things, deadlifts (I thought we sorted this, damnit). I am currently trying to reinterpret that surge of unpleasant feelings in my chest as a gift from the spirits of fire. Maybe the difference between a berserker rage that makes me powerful and immune to pain, and crippling anxiety that prevents me from action, is how I interpret it. So now, every time I feel that sensation, I thank the spirits of fire for the gift of adrenaline and trust that they are preparing me to perform better, even if the sensation is temporarily unpleasant. 

Upcoming week goals

• get another 7 points for morning routine, cleaning, and spearmint tea
  • practice remembering that books exist
  • stay cool and show gratitude to the spirits of fire
  • attend deadlift clinic on Tuesday
  • attend Taekwondo on Tues, Thurs, Sat
  • do not die on Tuesday after deadlift/tkd combo

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c61a2034435577141

• Like 3

that deadlift gif is kind of terrifying...

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

But I must resist the temptation to add more quests to my challenge. If I go a bit slower, the worst thing that will happen is I will lose one or two weeks of action towards one new habit.

Small, steady changes are the way to go. I'd think, if you added something as big as 3 martial arts classes per week, that'd be enough additional stuff for this challenge. 

It's similar to when people (who haven't seen me in awhile) how I lost 100+ lbs and maintained...VERY SMALL changes...over a loooooong time (read 6 years). I'd advise, make a change, if you like it, don't add anything else until that new change becomes habit. If you fall head over heels in love with the classes, stick with them this month, maybe add another small habit or two next challenge. 

Great work thus far...keep up with the grind!

• Like 2

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

12 minutes ago, farflight said:

It's similar to when people (who haven't seen me in awhile) how I lost 100+ lbs and maintained...VERY SMALL changes...over a loooooong time (read 6 years)

That's a really cool achievement, congrats! 

I lost about 28 pounds through crazy self-loathing-fuelled restriction, then put like 18 back on when I started lifting and eating normally/healthfully.

Crazy restriction: 0 
Small permanent changes: 1

Yeah. I have this pattern. I ride a wave of motivation to change all the things, then I get exhausted and quit all* the things. This time will be different. Right now I feel like I can do everything, but I know that feeling won't last forever, so I'm holding back a bit.

*Actually, not all the things. Some things have stuck despite the low tide because the benefits are so tangible: lifting, drinking less caffeine and alcohol, cooking mostly healthful meals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farflight said:

I lost 100+ lbs and maintained

Whoa there. I had no idea, but that is seriously impressive.

tenor.gif?itemid=4762785

I ride a wave of motivation to change all the things, then I get exhausted and quit all* the things. This time will be different. Right now I feel like I can do everything, but I know that feeling won't last forever, so I'm holding back a bit.

RIght. Motivation is a temporary force. It wanes and ebbs. You need other reasons to do the things than just because you are feeling motivated. :) 

*Actually, not all the things. Some things have stuck despite the low tide because the benefits are so tangible: lifting, drinking less caffeine and alcohol, cooking mostly healthful meals.

Those are huge! 

It sounds like you're pretty busy, though. When are you finding yourself bored? Also yesss, books! 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1