Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act V

Harriet

Deadlift clinic today. Nerves. Nerves nerves. 

giphy.gif

I must remember to thank the fire spirits for the gift of adrenaline, but also to control said gift to harness its volatile energies instead of letting them poison me. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 minute ago, raptron said:

Those are huge! 

It sounds like you're pretty busy, though. When are you finding yourself bored? Also yesss, books! 

Thank you! 

Well... I have no job, apart from some intermittent editing work which I do from home. All I have to do is shop & cook our dinners, and try to keep recovering from 19 years of major depressive disorder in whatever way I see fit. As I get more energy (praise the iron), the days seem more open. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

35 minutes ago, Harriet said:

All I have to do is shop & cook our dinners, and try to keep recovering from 19 years of major depressive disorder in whatever way I see fit.

...yea..."that's all"

Good lord woman. That is plenty for someone to do.

As someone with my own checkered history of mental health concerns, stay the course and stay on top of it!

• Thanks 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

Deadlift clinic is done. My form, gathered from youtube videos and nerd advice, is apparently pretty good with just a couple of little things to tweak.

Also, the most important bit: I pulled 165lb for the first time ever! Yesssssss. After slaving away at 160 for weeks, feeling like it was the heaviest thing on earth! And the 165 felt hard, but not that hard. Weird, right? I don't know if it was the warmup, the belt, the gift from the spirits of fire, or just the dude saying "you'll get it" with great confidence after I said I couldn't guarantee I'd get it off the ground. 

Anyway, I have some questions about bracing I want your input on, fellow warriors. The instructor told me to breathe into my stomach and push it out in all directions. This makes me feel weaker, not stronger, though that could be because I'm not used to it. Usually I breathe into my chest and tense my stomach muscles in a way that makes them, if anything, smaller. What are your thoughts? 

• Like 3

Just now, Harriet said:

Deadlift clinic is done. My form, gathered from youtube videos and nerd advice, is apparently pretty good with just a couple of little things to tweak.

Also, the most important bit: I pulled 165lb for the first time ever! Yesssssss. After slaving away at 160 for weeks, feeling like it was the heaviest thing on earth! And the 165 felt hard, but not that hard. Weird, right? I don't know if it was the warmup, the belt, the gift from the spirits of fire, or just the dude saying "you'll get it" with great confidence after I said I couldn't guarantee I'd get it off the ground. 

Anyway, I have some questions about bracing I want your input on, fellow warriors. The instructor told me to breathe into my stomach and push it out in all directions. This makes me feel weaker, not stronger, though that could be because I'm not used to it. Usually I breathe into my chest and tense my stomach muscles in a way that makes them, if anything, smaller. What are your thoughts? 

The push out in all directions is for using a belt. You should breathe deep into the belly, push out like you are trying to crush your kidneys against the belt. Basically, you use the trapped air and pressure to create an airbag around the spine to splint it into place. It takes practice.

Without a belt, I still take the big breathe but find I also pull the abs in.

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

4 hours ago, Blocky said:

The push out in all directions is for using a belt. You should breathe deep into the belly, push out like you are trying to crush your kidneys against the belt. Basically, you use the trapped air and pressure to create an airbag around the spine to splint it into place. It takes practice.

Without a belt, I still take the big breathe but find I also pull the abs in.

Ah, cool. So um, how helpful is a belt really? Does it mean you can lift more? 

Botheration. I have hurt something in my front left hip. I suspect it was the sumo deadlifts I practiced in the deadlift clinic. It was the first time I've done them and they felt weird. Then when I was warming up for taekwondo my hip started hurting and it now hurts whenever I lift my knee. Looks like I won't be doing lower body movements for a few days. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yes.

Longer answer: if you are mainly doing sub-maximal repetition work, then maybe it doesn't matter so much, however it will add spinal stability for heavier loads.

I personally have a history of lower back injuries (pre lifting) and wearing a belt mitigates that weakness entirely. I always use it for loads above 85%. Obviously everyone is different but this is what works for me...

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Botheration. I have hurt something in my front left hip. I suspect it was the sumo deadlifts I practiced in the deadlift clinic. It was the first time I've done them and they felt weird. Then when I was warming up for taekwondo my hip started hurting and it now hurts whenever I lift my knee. Looks like I won't be doing lower body movements for a few days. 

That'll be your hip flexor or adductor... I hurt mine doing wider stance squatting. Now that it's broken I cannot do sumo at all.

This will be the only time you'll hear me say this... don't fuck around with this one, take your time healing. I will work through/around a lot of injuries, but the adductor strain is just something I don't dick around with (anymore). If it's just your hip flexor, then it's probably not quite so dire.

There are a lot of stretches that will help... I find the couch stretch quite helpful.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

I must remember to thank the fire spirits for the gift of adrenaline, but also to control said gift to harness its volatile energies instead of letting them poison me. 

I like this way of looking at it. I shall try to copy this.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

17 hours ago, Blocky said:

This will be the only time you'll hear me say this... don't fuck around with this one, take your time healing.

It must be serious :O

It's actually not feeling too bad, so I think it could be a slight pull in my flexor muscles (from googling pictures it looks like the right place...really at the front where the leg/hip crease is. The adductors, which I gather are lower down on the inside of the thigh, feel fine). I'm not sure about the stretch because I think my hip flexors may be weak rather than tight (Also, I hate anything where I put my weight on my kneecap. It sodding hurts, but I've never seen anyone else complaining about this...) I have no trouble getting my knees to my chest, but I have trouble holding up my knee for any length of time - that hip/leg crease area gets tired. I was wondering if the deadlifts could have made my hip extensors disproportionately strong so that they're pulling. Or if I just don't work those muscles and they need some strengthening exercises. I thought maybe balancing on one leg with my knee up could be helpful for this. 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Woo deadlift clinic wins! Stay smart with the injury recovery, friend!

Thanks, I will. Skipping gym today, sadly. Time to gaze out the window into the rain and finish seaming my sweater and weaving in ends. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

It's actually not feeling too bad, so I think it could be a slight pull in my flexor muscles (from googling pictures it looks like the right place...really at the front where the leg/hip crease is.

That's good news... you don't really hear about complicated issues arising from hip flexors.

I'm not sure about the stretch because I think my hip flexors may be weak rather than tight (Also, I hate anything where I put my weight on my kneecap. It sodding hurts, but I've never seen anyone else complaining about this...

You are correct... it hurts... but you can actually do it on the couch, which is less painful... just push the back leg into the back of the couch and have your good leg on the floor...

image-iphone.jpg

but I have trouble holding up my knee for any length of time - that hip/leg crease area gets tired. I was wondering if the deadlifts could have made my hip extensors disproportionately strong so that they're pulling. Or if I just don't work those muscles and they need some strengthening exercises.

Hanging leg raises or similar woiuld be my go to for this:

98746046-sport-exercises-gym-workout-han

Hanging-Leg-Raise1.png

I was wondering if the deadlifts could have made my hip extensors disproportionately strong so that they're pulling

Flip that around... it's more likely that your abs are maybe less strong and unable to balance it out. The other reason you may have strained it is if you lean back too far at the top of your deadlift (ie: pushed your hips too far through).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Blocky said:

I will work through/around a lot of injuries, but the adductor strain is just something I don't dick around with (anymore).

*ahem*

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

20 hours ago, Blocky said:

Yes.

Longer answer: if you are mainly doing sub-maximal repetition work, then maybe it doesn't matter so much, however it will add spinal stability for heavier loads.

I personally have a history of lower back injuries (pre lifting) and wearing a belt mitigates that weakness entirely. I always use it for loads above 85%. Obviously everyone is different but this is what works for me...

This is one of those few things I disagree with in general. Blocky is right and that everyone is different, but IMO if you get used to lifting with a belt it builds a potentially bad precedent.

I have a belt. I've used it once for a supermaximal pin squat. Even at my heaviest lifts (330 lb for squat, 440 lb for DL) I did it beltless. I think if I was competitive I might practice in it for heavy singles, but otherwise I don't recommend it, especially this early in your lifting life.

Additionally, it shouldn't be used to help you lift more, it should be a cue and something for you to brace against to lift more. Subtle but important difference.

• Like 2

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

(Also, I hate anything where I put my weight on my kneecap. It sodding hurts, but I've never seen anyone else complaining about this...) 

it DEFINITELY hurts! i realized this quickly when i first started doing yoga. i now put a pillow under it or fold over my yoga mat for extra cushion.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it DEFINITELY hurts! i realized this quickly when i first started doing yoga. i now put a pillow under it or fold over my yoga mat for extra cushion.

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one. 

18 hours ago, Blocky said:

You are correct... it hurts... but you can actually do it on the couch, which is less painful... just push the back leg into the back of the couch and have your good leg on the floor...

Flip that around... it's more likely that your abs are maybe less strong and unable to balance it out. The other reason you may have strained it is if you lean back too far at the top of your deadlift (ie: pushed your hips too far through).

Couch is a great idea! I'll try that. I'll also try the leg raises, though it's not actually my abs that get tired first, it's little muscles in the hip/leg crease plus those in the top of the thigh.

I don't hyperextend at the deadlift - the guy at the clinic checked my form and I'm okay. I think what I did wrong was aggressive stretching at taekwondo after asking my hips to do a lot of work at deadlift clinic, especially in the new, awkward sumo deadlift. My hip didn't hurt during the clinic or when I was walking afterwards, it only hurt after the stretching. Lesson: be really careful with stretching and other activities immediately after heavy lifting. 

17 hours ago, Grumble said:

This is one of those few things I disagree with in general. Blocky is right and that everyone is different, but IMO if you get used to lifting with a belt it builds a potentially bad precedent.

I have a belt. I've used it once for a supermaximal pin squat. Even at my heaviest lifts (330 lb for squat, 440 lb for DL) I did it beltless. I think if I was competitive I might practice in it for heavy singles, but otherwise I don't recommend it, especially this early in your lifting life.

Additionally, it shouldn't be used to help you lift more, it should be a cue and something for you to brace against to lift more. Subtle but important difference.

I'm just looking to build awesome, jaw-dropping strength, not to compete, at least at the moment. Plus I like not being reliant on tools. I'll maybe keep the belt in mind for a bit further down the road. 

On an unrelated note, the sinus infection gave me plenty of knitting time so I finished my sweater. I made a couple of small mistakes in the design that will help me make a better sweater next time, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Harriet said:

On an unrelated note, the sinus infection gave me plenty of knitting time so I finished my sweater. I made a couple of small mistakes in the design that will help me make a better sweater next time, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

IMG_5641.jpg.30b2b5b832300d7cdc5a3931a81221cc.jpgIMG_5636.jpg.7d7bc54bcb340b3657d35da20d2d7909.jpg

It's lovely! I am consistently impressed by peoples ability to create things symmetrically.

• Like 2

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Let it be stated for the record that the words "Holy crap, she MADE that?!" were spoken aloud at my desk. That is seriously cool!

YES!

giphy.gif

it's gorgeous!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

5 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one. 

You definitely are not the only one. I stretch on a yoga mat for this reason.

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

WOAH WHAT. PEOPLE JUST MAKE SHIT LIKE THAT?!?!

We're all very impressed, hahah.

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

IMG_5641.jpg.30b2b5b832300d7cdc5a3931a81221cc.jpgIMG_5636.jpg.7d7bc54bcb340b3657d35da20d2d7909.jpg

This is a great color on you. :)

• Like 1