Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act V

Harriet

8 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's lovely! I am consistently impressed by peoples ability to create things symmetrically.

8 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Let it be stated for the record that the words "Holy crap, she MADE that?!" were spoken aloud at my desk. That is seriously cool!

6 hours ago, raptron said:

WOAH WHAT. PEOPLE JUST MAKE SHIT LIKE THAT?!?!

We're all very impressed, hahah.

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

This is a great color on you. :)

Thank you, my pretties :) 

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Had my fourth taekwondo lesson. I'm already looking forward to the next one. It's really nice to interact with other people, and I met a cool woman about my age who likes to chat and who seems cool. She came to class in a Hogwarts t-shirt. Meanwhile the classes have been teaching me about some of my weaknesses. I certainly need more flexibility and strength in certain ranges of motion - mostly lifting my leg and moving it side to side while it's up. Practice, I assume, will make such things better. 

I'm starting to feel like it's time to add more mini habits into my routine. I'm 99% recovered from the sinus infection and have some more energy, I don't want to waste any more time. And I've been keeping up with my other mini habits: 7:30 routine, cleaning, spearmint tea. I'm itching to add something writing related back in. So I think I'll set an alarm, designate a writing spot, and sit down there every day at 9am for 5 minutes. So small I can't get tired of it. So small I won't give up if life tries to derail me. So small I'll be eager to do more. 

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'll also try the leg raises, though it's not actually my abs that get tired first, it's little muscles in the hip/leg crease plus those in the top of the thigh.

Calling leg raises just an 'ab' exercise is a misnomer... getting the legs to horizontal is like 80% hip flexor... continuing to pull the knees up to the chest, changes the focus to more abs...

• Like 2

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm 99% recovered from the sinus infection and have some more energy, I don't want to waste any more time.

You weren't wasting time...you were recovering from an illness...wasting time is more like-skipping work, playing zelda/metroid for 4 days, not bathing, and neglecting all human/adulting duties in the pursuit of a free hyrule/punishing the space pirates and ensuring galactic safety from metroids.....not that I know anything about either of those methods of wasting time.

Also-"time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time"d

Also...sweater looks great, I'm certain you're the only person that will be aware of any perceived 'mistakes'...hell if anyone DOES notice, you could give the +5 eye sight credit and -5 charisma or just say it was part of the design :-D....also, I'll take 2, I wear an XL, blue is my fav color...you can pick the other :applause:

• Like 4

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

Calling leg raises just an 'ab' exercise is a misnomer... getting the legs to horizontal is like 80% hip flexor... continuing to pull the knees up to the chest, changes the focus to more abs...

If you lay on your back and lift your legs from horizontal up to 45 degrees or so, you can involve the quads and everything else at the front of the leg as well. It was one of the rehab exercises I was given after my knee injury, to help me strengthen the muscles around the knee.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

8 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

If you lay on your back and lift your legs from horizontal up to 45 degrees or so, you can involve the quads and everything else at the front of the leg as well. It was one of the rehab exercises I was given after my knee injury, to help me strengthen the muscles around the knee.

I also got some recommendations from the monks. There are things called leg pulses, which I can do seated or standing. They also mentioned PAILS AND RAILS which is some sort of active mobility training, I think. I'll have to look into it. For now, I'm going to try some of these at home because I don't want to tack them on to my barbell workout. Is the one you're describing with straight legs, scaly? 

Speaking of bodyweight exercises... how much does bench press carry over to pushups? The instructor sometimes asks us to do pushups in class, and while I can do a full pushup, it's pretty much a max effort thing (there are a lot of people in class just doing planks and bobbing their hips up and down, but I refuse to do this). Even knee pushups seem like a lot of work. Do I just need to get stronger at the bench, or is it worth practicing pushups specifically? Also, I need to practice wall sits. They make the tops of my legs burn. 

20 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Aren't those considered leg lifts?

Yes, I'm aware of the similarity of the words. You've been working out long enough to know better. :P

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

1 hour ago, farflight said:

You weren't wasting time...you were recovering from an illness...wasting time is more like-skipping work, playing zelda/metroid for 4 days, not bathing, and neglecting all human/adulting duties in the pursuit of a free hyrule/punishing the space pirates and ensuring galactic safety from metroids.....not that I know anything about either of those methods of wasting time.

This scene is so realistic... it's almost like you were there to observe someone doing these exact things :D

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Also...sweater looks great, I'm certain you're the only person that will be aware of any perceived 'mistakes'...hell if anyone DOES notice, you could give the +5 eye sight credit and -5 charisma or just say it was part of the design :-D....also, I'll take 2, I wear an XL, blue is my fav color...you can pick the other :applause:

Thank you! I'm sure no one will notice, I am simply making notes to improve my own skills. How about I teach you how to knit? It will take a few years of knitting scarves, hats, mitts and the like to get your speed up, then a man's sweater in XL should only take you about 100 hours :) 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They also mentioned PAILS AND RAILS which is some sort of active mobility training, I think. I'll have to look into it.

PAILS and RAILS are awesome for mobility - basically, you get to your current max stretch for a muscle, hold it isometrically (I do 30 seconds), then contract it for 10s, contract its antagonist for 10s, repeat both contractions and you'll have found a slightly deeper ROM. In theory. Definitely look up more info, but they're some of my favorite for winding down in the evening with dimmed lights in my bedroom (I get really good results with my hip flexors and decent results with my feet, haven't been consistent with mobility for any of my other joints yet).

Speaking of bodyweight exercises... how much does bench press carry over to pushups? The instructor sometimes asks us to do pushups in class, and while I can do a full pushup, it's pretty much a max effort thing (there are a lot of people in class just doing planks and bobbing their hips up and down, but I refuse to do this). Even knee pushups seem like a lot of work. Do I just need to get stronger at the bench, or is it worth practicing pushups specifically? Also, I need to practice wall sits. They make the tops of my legs burn. 

They simultaneously carry over and don't. Pushups should use most of the same upper body muscles, but they'll force more and different stabilizers to be used (because rather than your back against a ground surface, your hands are balanced on the ground). If you're finding you have room for an upper body push accessory, they're a fantastic one until they become too easy for you (and then you can look into plyometric variations to keep things challenging).

And ALSO, huzzah for another great TKD class - sounds like this might become a part of your routine? Love that you're making some friends in class too.

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

39 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is the one you're describing with straight legs, scaly?

Yep. It's basically an isometric leg lift, but you focus on involving your leg muscles more than your abs. The abs will get themselves involved automatically once you go beyond a certain angle anyway. Wall sits was another exercise that was a part of my rehab, and damn do those hurt.

35 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Aren't those considered leg lifts?

Yes, I'm aware of the similarity of the words. You've been working out long enough to know better. :P

Quiet, you. We don't care about semantics and using the correct words in this conversation!

6 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

They simultaneously carry over and don't. Pushups should use most of the same upper body muscles, but they'll force more and different stabilizers to be used (because rather than your back against a ground surface, your hands are balanced on the ground). If you're finding you have room for an upper body push accessory, they're a fantastic one until they become too easy for you (and then you can look into plyometric variations to keep things challenging).

In addition to this, I find that doing pushups are a really good way to remind myself how neglected my core muscles are... they're the ones holding my upper body in a plank position, and they just can't keep up.

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

i would like to know when, exactly, pushups become this mysterious thing you call "too easy" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

15 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i would like to know when, exactly, pushups become this mysterious thing you call "too easy" 

When doing them doesn't immediately make you hate them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Just getting caught up, but 

a) sweater - GORGEOUS! Very impressed. My mom is an avid knitter and I own some beautiful sweaters, but I have never taken the time to learn. I am a skilled crocheter but hardly ever take time for it anymore.

b) TKD sounds fabulous, I think it is wonderful that you have found something new to enjoy! I adore (and miss) martial arts, I am waiting for a less-busy season to find a way to fit krav back into my life.  

• Like 1

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

Ooof. Taekwondo classes are highlighting all my weaknesses. I hate pushups. Wall sits are evil. And my side-hip-muscles are weak (glute med?) and inflexible. But I guess practicing three times a week will get me there and I probably shouldn't do any additional exercises at home. Though I'm tempted to do extra because I really want to get to a point where pushups are a light-medium exercise where I can belt out ten or so. Right now they're max effort and I can do like one or two, and they're horrible. I also don't want to be the person who gives up first with wall sits. Why is it I love barbells and hate bodyweight exercises? They feel more fatiguing to me, even when they're lighter, which makes no sense.

I haven't forgotten my lifting! Yesterday I did squats:
105 x 8

105 x 7

100 x 8

100 x 8

100 x 8
I'm focusing on holding my torso up straight and tight, which I figured was one of my major form problems. For now I'm not having the good morning problem, and my knees aren't caving in. So it's good. I don't feel it in my quads, though. I feel it maybe in my hips. And I get all-over-tired rather than wearing out my legs. 

Feeling very hungry. And a bit fat. But now is not the time to attempt losing weight. That can wait for when my other habits are dialled in. Pretty much everything else takes priority: lifting, taekwondo, writing, cleaning, eating healthy, reading, meditation etc. 

Daily habits on track. 

• Like 1

Also, I just want to share two things I was told in tkd class today. 

Black belt no.1 during squats "squat slowly so it's isometric". I just googled isometric. I don't think squats are isometric regardless of the speed.
Black belt no. 2 during squats "don't go too low or you'll hurt your knees". Nah. When I squat I go ALL THE WAY. Partly as a matter of pride and partly so I don't have to make a decision about where to stop. Hey, gotta save that executive mental power for other things, right? 

Remember, they are experts at taekwondo, not at squats. ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

So it's good. I don't feel it in my quads, though. I feel it maybe in my hips. And I get all-over-tired rather than wearing out my legs. 

That sounds about right... good job

• Thanks 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Argh. My knee hurt yesterday night after tkd, something it has never done after lifting. I have identified a few possible culprits. 1. apparently air kicking at full power can cause overextension of the knee. So I should save the power for when I'm hitting targets, and focus on form for air kicks. 2. I may not be turning my non-kicking foot far enough or smoothly enough. This  jolts the knee. I must focus on not just forcing the turn with my bodyweight but really try to get my foot twisting smoothly. 3. also according to google, it's important to maintain alignment of knees and feet in all stances and not let the knees cave. I'm discovering I have really weak/inactive hip abductors, so I'm going to be adding a little something for them every day if I can. Really hoping I can fix this quickly and carry on. 

Habits going well. Have now done 22 days of 7:30 routine, 14 days each of cleaning and spearmint tea, 3 days of 9am writing. 

Wondering whether to skip gym today to give my knee one more day of rest. It feels about 98% better. But I have "squat clinic" and taekwondo and a minimum of 70 minutes walking tomorrow so the knee might appreciate the extra recovery. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, Harriet said:

Black belt no.1 during squats "squat slowly so it's isometric". I just googled isometric. I don't think squats are isometric regardless of the speed.
Black belt no. 2 during squats "don't go too low or you'll hurt your knees". Nah. When I squat I go ALL THE WAY. Partly as a matter of pride and partly so I don't have to make a decision about where to stop. Hey, gotta save that executive mental power for other things, right? 

Fire Fly What GIF - FireFly What Uhm GIFs

One note though, bodyweight squats going A2G CAN cause knee pain if you're doing them for conditioning, it's that bounce from full extension of the knees. But you would need to be doing fast squats, if you're going slowly or using them for warmups its dealers choice. 
  • Like 1

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

8 minutes ago, Grumble said:
Fire Fly What GIF - FireFly What Uhm GIFs

One note though, bodyweight squats going A2G CAN cause knee pain if you're doing them for conditioning, it's that bounce from full extension of the knees. But you would need to be doing fast squats, if you're going slowly or using them for warmups its dealers choice. 

That's actually good to know. I'll slow it down.

My hip flexor problem completely resolved itself in two days (probably just a minor pull?). My knee problem is persisting. The knee feels, not painful, but slightly creaky. I'm hoping it will resolve quickly as I really want to keep doing all the things. Also I have squat clinic today, and I really need that feedback and help with my form, which I have been uncertain about. So I'll do most of the exercises with a lighter weight, but I still have to go heavy at least a few times to get the instructor to check my form with a near max weight. 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, Harriet said:

My experience has found more the opposite? Doing pushups helps bench a lot, but benching doesn't much carry over to pushups. Things I found help my pushups: slow negative w/ back up any way, holding a high plank and super squeezing core & glutes. Also doing them a few a day.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:57 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

lulz same tho

On 2/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, Harriet said:

eccentric was probably the word he was searching for

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

15 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

My experience has found more the opposite? Doing pushups helps bench a lot, but benching doesn't much carry over to pushups. Things I found help my pushups: slow negative w/ back up any way, holding a high plank and super squeezing core & glutes. Also doing them a few a day.

I'll try this. I can only do one or two full pushups (a recent accomplishment, I certainly could never have done this before lifting) but that means I can do negatives. So these were more useful for you than doing a bunch of knee-pushups? 

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'll try this. I can only do one or two full pushups (a recent accomplishment, I certainly could never have done this before lifting) but that means I can do negatives. So these were more useful for you than doing a bunch of knee-pushups? 

Yes, for me. These, then incline pushups (like off a low desk or a chair), then knee pushups are order of usefulness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads