Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act V

Harriet

Squat Clinic Report

The squat clinic went very well. It was taught by the gym's resident competitive powerlifter and powerlifting coach. She really helped me with my form. Apparently I am going too low, too fast*, and losing tightness in my lower abs which causes most of my problems. She also told me to use a wider stance, and when I said that hurt my hips she watched me then pointed out I was pushing my knees out too far to compensate for caving, and lo, when I stopped pushing my knees out my hips stopped hurting. So I need to concentrate on really keeping that tightness through the whole movement, which feels a bit weird, but means I keep a more upright stances and can't go as low. Which is fine. When we finished the class and were heading out she asked me what programme I do, and recommended I get some microplates for my bench.

*Yeah, yeah, I know. When a taekwondo instructor tells me not to squat so deep: "Nah." But when a badass powerlifting valkyrie tells me not to squat so deep: "I will do as you say."

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Also, my knees hurt more than ever after the last taekwondo class, even though I took it a bit easier. I'm wondering if it's not the muscles surrounding the knee rather than the joints themselves. That would explain why they hurt after only a couple of weeks of lessons. That doesn't seem long enough to develop a knee joint problem, not that I know anything about the matter. Anyway, my current plan is to continue going to class but also continue doing daily exercises for the hip abductors. 

ETA some quick googling suggests that pain below the kneecap could be jumper's knee or irritation of the patellar tendon. It can be caused by a sudden increase in activities like running and jumping. One of the things that feels worst is jogging around the mat, especially turning the corners. Also the sprints where I have to stop and turn quickly. I might just tell the instructor I'm not doing jogging or sprinting, and do my own stretches.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

19 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Apples and oranges. Also, too low too fast is different than too low. It's in the vein of what I was talking about previously. Going that low should not be bouncy. Control yourself!

Yeah, I was dive-bombing my squats, apparently. But now that I know, I will fix it. And I know exactly where to try to keep things tight, because the valkyrie taught us breathing, then poked me in the guts while I was squatting (she warned me beforehand, but still, it's probably the first and last time someone's going to stick their finger in my lower abs while I've got 100 pounds on my back).

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, I was dive-bombing my squats, apparently. But now that I know, I will fix it. And I know exactly where to try to keep things tight, because the valkyrie taught us breathing, then poked me in the guts while I was squatting (she warned me beforehand, but still, it's probably the first and last time someone's going to stick their finger in my lower abs while I've got 100 pounds on my back).

It's amazing what physical contact while lifting will do to correcting flaws in your movements.

• Like 2

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's amazing what expected physical contact while lifting will do to correcting flaws in your movements.

Fixed that for you.

Unexpected contact is dangerous and can be creepy. ;)

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Fixed that for you.

Unexpected contact is dangerous and can be creepy. ;)

So... I shouldn't go around surprise-testing the firmness of people's abs in the gym while they're under the bar?

• Haha 3

Good news: a bit of stretching brought my knee pain down from a 4 to a 1. Did bench at the gym. No records to speak of, as I've reduced the weight to make sure I hit 4-6 reps every time. No more struggling in the 1-3 range every week without progress. 

Of course, walking to the gym and back has brought my knee pain back up to 2. Also, I am exhausted. I feel like a deflated ball. Walking home was long and hard. And I have to go grocery shopping. Please help me. Someone send chocolate. So tired. But we need food from the shops. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c6dcd1d446c456149

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So... I shouldn't go around surprise-testing the firmness of people's abs in the gym while they're under the bar?

Only if you want them to do it to you in return.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

57 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

How IMetyour Mother HIMYM GIF - HowIMetyourMother HIMYM NeilPatrickHarris GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

How IMetyour Mother HIMYM GIF - HowIMetyourMother HIMYM NeilPatrickHarris GIFs

SZLR.gif

• Haha 2

I hope you got the sleeps! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Ouch. My Knees. I thought I was being smart by skipping the jogging that we usually do at the start of taekwondo lessons - I don't mind sprinting for some reason, but jogging hurts, as does turning the corners or stopping and reversing direction. But then we did footwork/agility training with these rope ladders that lay on the ground, and it forking hurt. Maybe a 5 out of 10. Then for the rest of the lesson, kicking and doing forms, the pain just reduced by itself to about a 2. So I have figured out that the stupid rope ladder exercises make it a lot worse. I guess that means I have to skip the entire warmup... Also. WHAT is the point of these ladder exercises?

I finally got a uniform today. The youngster in the store room said "We'll try a size three" and the very experienced black belt woman said "No. Look at her shoulders. Get her a four." And so it was. This is the second time in two weeks that someone has commented on the size of my shoulders. Last time I was chatting to a black belt and mentioned doing fencing at school, he said "Oh, that would explain your powerful shoulders". Well, no. I think it's genetic and barbells. Feeling a bit self-conscious about my size--for some reason these feelings come and go. I think I'm eating healthy, but I may just be eating too much. I might see about very gradually tinkering with some meals. 

Big shoulders mean you can shoulder big burdens. Nothing to be ashamed of!!! 

I'm sorry your knees keep being a bother -- nothing is sticking out to me as a recommendation as to what it might be other that maybe tight quads, but you mentioned you'd been stretching more. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

6 hours ago, raptron said:

Big shoulders mean you can shoulder big burdens. Nothing to be ashamed of!!! 

I'm sorry your knees keep being a bother -- nothing is sticking out to me as a recommendation as to what it might be other that maybe tight quads, but you mentioned you'd been stretching more. 

Thanks. I guess I don't mind the shoulders, I mind the extra fat above my hips. Eh. I shouldn't focus too hard on this. I should just maybe stop getting 1,000,000 salads at sweet green. 

My knees turn inward (which also causes flat, pronating feet), so I'm doing leg raises/clamshells which I hope will strengthen the abductors. I'm not totally certain bodyweight exercises are sufficient to achieve this, but maybe I can do some cable leg raises later. Other than that, I think I just have to skip jumping and jogging for a while. 

ETA I meant 1,000,000-calorie salads but I suppose 1,000,000 one-calorie salads would also fit.

• Like 1

One of the biggest reasons it's such a challenge for me to find dressy tops and shirts with a flattering fit is that I apparently am a lot wider over the shoulders than practically every clothing manufacturer out there expects a woman to be. Which is entirely on them, and makes them stupid and narrow-minded. I guess they must not be interested in my money. Which is annoying.

Also, let's all agree and be clear on the proper terminology about more-than-average-for-women shoulders. They are not big, or broad, or large, or fat, or wide, or any other remotely negative word. They are "powerful" (Harriet's black belt conversation partner got it right on the first try!). Or they are "strong", or "impressive", or my personal favorite "human and normal".

Shoulder measurement is determined by skeletal structure and the muscles around the skeleton. We can change the appearance of the latter by making those muscles lift heavy things until they grow bigger. This adds mass to the shoulder area, which increases its size and makes the shoulders appear to have grown bigger more powerful.

Most of it is a moot point anyway. Like with everything else regarding the appearance of the human body, we can make our shoulders look more or less '"broad" by paying attention to what we wear, and how we wear it. A person with a narrow waist will look like they have wide shoulders whether they do or not, especially if they accentuate the narrowness by wrapping a belt around it. Even if they don't have an exceptionally narrow waist, the waist can be made to look smaller, by accentuating it with a belt, while wearing loosely fitting clothes above and below said waist. This creates the illusion ofa narrow body below the shoulders, which in turn causes them to look wider by comparison and optical illusions.

If that clothing style sounds familiar, it's because most martial arts uniforms fit that way. Put those broad shouldered black belts in sweat pants and a snug dark t-shirt, and their shoulders will no longer look as imposing.

It's all about lines and balance.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

One of the biggest reasons it's such a challenge for me to find dressy tops and shirts with a flattering fit is that I apparently am a lot wider over the shoulders than practically every clothing manufacturer out there expects a woman to be. Which is entirely on them, and makes them stupid and narrow-minded. I guess they must not be interested in my money. Which is annoying.

Yes it is! I am broader in the shoulder AND wider in the hips than expected, so.... clothes suck. I mostly stick to stretchy tops (yay for hand knit sweaters with darts calculated exactly for my shape). I actually don't mind my broad shoulders, and I don't mind it if people call them that. It's a fairly neutral term, unlike, say, "noble oxen", "terrifying she-orc" or "brick s**thouse".

Actually, strangely enough, I think the oversized drop shoulder on the uniform softens my shoulders a little. Might be because it disguises my narrower ribcage and waist (despite the belt, there's just a lot of fabric). Or because one assumes that someone in an oversized garment is small. I find my shoulders look biggest in tailored, structured tops with set-in sleeves. And tank tops, apparently, going by the comments. Also, two big men who were bench pressing large amounts asked me to spot them in the last two weeks. This had never happened before. Maybe I am starting to look strong <3 Or there was just no one else to ask since the New Year's Resolution folks have dissipated. Or both.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

"terrifying she-orc"

If I ever get tired of being a scaly freak, this will be my new name here in NF. Terrifying She-Orc sounds strong and powerful. Behold my mighty shoulders and despair!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

If I ever get tired of being a scaly freak, this will be my new name here in NF. Terrifying She-Orc sounds strong and powerful. Behold my mighty shoulders and despair!

Indeed. Look upon my glorious frame and know that Resistance is FUTILE. 

Deadlift day. Did 3 x 5 x 155. Yeah, I dropped back down to 155 because I haven't been able to get 5 reps at 160 for a few weeks in a row. So apparently I'm just in a phase where PRs come less often and even 5lb jumps in weight can seem huge. So I will try to be patient and settle in and enjoy the work. I don't want to get micro plates because we have to move all our stuff back to Germany when the US trip is over. So I figure the best way to do it is to have a rep range of 4-6 and only move up when all three sets are 6 reps at the same weight. If I can only get 3 reps, I'll lower the weight for the next set to ensure I get at least 4. 

Also practiced keeping lower abs tight and not going too low for light squats: 5 x 10 x 75lb.

• Like 1

Tiny Habits Update

7:30 routine I have now done 28 days in a row

cleaning I have done 19 days with only a couple of exceptions

spearmint I dropped because I hate it. But I bought some spearmint capsules and will make it a habit to take these and my vitamin D/omega 3 daily.
Daily writing I have now done 8 times, and I have increased the time to ten minutes--still tiny. 

I have added abductor exercises: leg raises/clamshells on alternating days because my knees need urgent attention*. I have now done this 7 days in a row.

I am also adjusting my diet a little because I gained some weight despite starting taekwondo, probably as a result of eating takeaway salads a few times a week. Yes, they have greenery, but they're also probably about 800 calories each. I'm ready to make some small behavioural changes to my diet without counting calories or restricting heavily or obsessing in any way. I'm NOT going to attempt to change all the things at once here. That would be foolhardy.

*I told the taekwondo instructor my knees were hurting during the jogging and jumping, and he asked if they usually hurt when I run. I thought about it and was forced to admit that I haven't run for about sixteen years. I walk. Anyway, I have a strong suspicion that my knock knees are to blame. I'm hoping that stretching some tight bits plus strengthening the abductors/glute medius will help turn my knees out a little, which would also put some arch back into my flat feet. In the meantime I guess I just have to avoid running and jumping. But those aren't essential parts of the class--I can warm up in the corner by doing pushups and setups. 

On 2/22/2019 at 2:15 PM, Harriet said:
On 2/22/2019 at 1:29 PM, scalyfreak said:

Yes it is! I am broader in the shoulder AND wider in the hips than expected, so.... clothes suck. I mostly stick to stretchy tops (yay for hand knit sweaters with darts calculated exactly for my shape).

It might not be fun to buy clothes, but I am hoping for this outcome! I'd love to have powerful shoulders and hips and a narrow middle! So live it up ladies!  And hopefully I can join you in the shopping commiserating in the future!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, snowkc said:

It might not be fun to buy clothes, but I am hoping for this outcome! I'd love to have powerful shoulders and hips and a narrow middle! So live it up ladies!  And hopefully I can join you in the shopping commiserating in the future!

Ha, yeah, I shouldn't complain. I would actually be reasonably pleased with my figure if I could get rid of the extra fluff above my hips, which I intend to do.

I have to be honest, though, my broad shoulders and hips are not a result of lifting, they're mostly due to my bone structure and fat storage, respectively. Lifting has added a little breadth and depth to my shoulders but nothing to my hips yet. But hey. Whatever lifting gives you, it will be an increase in awesomeness. That's my theory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Whatever lifting gives you, it will be an increase in awesomeness. That's my theory. 

I thought that was a proven fact? :P 

• Like 3