Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act V

Harriet

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Frank Herbert's Dune. A definitive Sci-fi story. I highly recommend it if you've never read it. 

Oh, I have. I don't remember a potion though. I remember a special boy with special powers. I remember him riding giant sand worms and covering himself with an armour of little worms that he flattens out. The book was okay, but I was a bit fed up with messianic special-boy-saves-world plots at that stage, having read a couple of other books with similar plots just then.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 minutes ago, farflight said:

If I recall correctly (IIRC) there is actually some evidence (historically) that berserkers (shock troops) did tend to drink some concoction prior to battle. I contained a lot of hallucinagenic compounds that would dull pain, stimulate adrenaline, and make them basically immune to fear and good decision making

That's amazing... they would make for some worrisome foes, for sure. What interests me is that some of the same hormones are implicated in both fear and rage, so I wonder if interpretation makes the difference... I'm hoping to re-purpose my anxiety cocktails. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Just now, Harriet said:

Oh, I have. I don't remember a potion though. I remember a special boy with special powers. I remember him riding giant sand worms and covering himself with an armour of little worms that he flattens out.

Wut. 

Just now, Harriet said:

The book was okay, but I was a bit fed up with messianic special-boy-saves-world plots at that stage, having read a couple of other books with similar plots just then.

That's fair. It's an overused trope, even in 1965 when Dune was written.

Speaking of, have you figured out what escapism you wanted to hit since you've been reading too many "serious" books (I believe that's what you called it.)

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

11 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Wut. 

Not in the first book, but later. I just googled it to make sure I wasn't misremembering. They're called sand trout. 

11 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Speaking of, have you figured out what escapism you wanted to hit since you've been reading too many "serious" books (I believe that's what you called it.)

Well I already bought the first four wheel of time books on my reader a couple of years ago, when a friend recommended them. So I'm giving them a try. I've read a few chapters :D It's going to be part of my next challenge to get off the computer when I'm just computering aimlessly out of tiredness and read instead. 

• Like 1

Just now, Harriet said:

Not in the first book, but later. I just googled it to make sure I wasn't misremembering. They're called sand trout. 

We don't speak about the sequels.

It's like Terry Goodkind. There's Wizards First Rule, then... the rest of them.

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Well I already bought the first four wheel of time books on my reader a couple of years ago, when a friend recommended them. So I'm giving them a try. I've read a few chapters :D It's going to be part of my next challenge to get off the computer when I'm just computering aimlessly out of tiredness and read instead. 

Yay! It's one of my favorite series'. And my first major foray into fantasy outside of Terry Brooks.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Challenge wrap up! So, this challenge I was supposed to make some habits that were too tiny to fail.

Habits

-The 7:30 routine was a huge success and is my new normal. It involves getting up, brushing my teeth and putting on clothes I wouldn't mind leaving the house in.

-Daily cleaning was patchy. Sometimes I was super tired and couldn't decide what to clean, and gave up. So I need a more specific set of chores so I don't give up at the deciding-what-to-do stage.
-Daily writing went well, I am up to 15 minutes per day. Still small, but satisfying.
-Daily vitamins went fine

-Daily leg exercises to help my knees went fine, though I skipped them a couple of times, feeling tired after having already worked out. Maybe they need to go in the morning.

Other things

-Deadlift, squat and bench clinics were helpful, I've changed how I do bench and squat

-I overcame my fear and went to a taekwondo class. Now I'm going three times per week and haven't missed a class yet.

-I stopped getting the high calorie takeaway salads I was eating for lunch and am now in the habit of making home cooked baked beans for lunches.
-Not much progress on lifts. I deloaded squats and bench to work on form, and finally got a rep PR on deadlift after, what, six weeks??? 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, farflight said:

If I recall correctly (IIRC) there is actually some evidence (historically) that berserkers (shock troops) did tend to drink some concoction prior to battle. I contained a lot of hallucinagenic compounds that would dull pain, stimulate adrenaline, and make them basically immune to fear and good decision making

That would be urine. Berserkers ate various toxic mushrooms to get into their trademark rage. Because these mushrooms don't grow everywhere, they saved their urine so they could reuse the toxins later.

You're welcome. :angel:

• Thanks 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49