• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

3 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Yeah, I guess it’s a very British humour.  It’s mostly just about ridiculing that special breed of snobs that think they’re above everyone else because “daddy” was rich.  Joanna Lumly (the blonde one) is a British legend!  She’s an amazing actress and genuine nice person. 

That’s a theme that shows up a lot on the Britcoms that make it over here. 

I gotta thank Deffy for reminding me of this incredible song. 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well you're on your own to make "By Sloth's Bush" a thing.

No. Just no. 

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

This thread is already amazing. Following! :D 

Welcome to my thread. It might die down; I don’t anticipate doing anything else stupid in the next five weeks. 

• Like 1

2/6/19 Wednesday - Day 3

1. Post - 3/3

2. KB - no. Today’s the day I sleep in a bit and ride the trainer after school. 1/3

3. Ride - no. I forgot Slothgirl had a 6:00 appt. to get a cavity checked out. The dentist wasn’t there because of a death in the family.

They fit us in, but it ran late. (No cavity, her teeth hurt because she has a weird bite. That will be expensive later I’m guessing.) 

Now I’m tired and am going to bed. 0/3

4. Stop eating - probably. Last night I ate after shoveling snow. 2/3. 

I don’t normally leave South Minneapolis, but these last two days I’ve been driving the kids around while the roads have been terrible. It took an hour, at least, to get home.

I’m not complaining because it was pretty chill to be sitting around listening to public radio. But I feel bad for people who have to regularly give up that big a chunk of their life just to get to and from work. 

• Like 3

I don’t anticipate doing anything else stupid in the next five weeks. 

Did you anticipate this particular snip? XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

2/7/19 Thursday - Day 4

Snowy, snowy day.  It’s a good day to live within walking distance of work.  Right up until school started I was the only sixth grade teacher here. I was really afraid they were going to put all of the sixth graders that made it in to school into my room and I’d have to make up a full days worth of activities (that’s happened in the past), but everyone showed up at the last minute. There’s a special ed meeting after school that has to happen today - our federal overlords frown on late meetings - so I’m taking one for the team and attending so that the rest can get on the road right away. 

1. Post - yes. 4/4.

2. KBs - no.  I’m saving my back for tonight’s shoveling. It should be a good one. 1/4. 

3. Ride - unless they call school off for tomorrow and I can stay up late it won’t happen. 0/4. 

4. Stop Eating - I doubt it.  I almost always eat and have a beer after shoveling. 2/4. 

• Like 5

It'll be well earned beer at least ;)

How many sixth graders have you got? How big is this school? How many do you usually get in your room?

(sorry all the questions, the American public/private school thing interests me) 

Here!

Just as a friendly reminder: using an electric razor (that you would imagine has all of those important safety things built in) produces the same results :(

(and I don't even have the eyesight issue to blame it on...)

Don't worry, you will have your full Rurik Beard back in a month or less

• Haha 2

Mrs. Sloth:  I’m going up to bed to do the meditation app*.  You could come with.

Me: By meditation app do you mean naked, sexy time?

Mrs. Sloth: No.

*We have to track things like this for the Wellness program at work.  It makes our insurance costs slightly less awful. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Mrs. Sloth:  I’m going up to bed to do the meditation app*.  You could come with.

*We have to track things like this for the Wellness program at work.  It makes our insurance costs slightly less awful. 

Do they do a discount for meeting a certain threshold of steps? Coz Fitbits think snu snu is a pleasant jog turning into a sprint #askmehowIknow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sloth - By meditation app that isn't naked, sexy time, do you mean clothed sexy time where you just pull out the important bits?

(I hear it's pretty cold there, just trying to help :D )

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:15 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I was really afraid they were going to put all of the sixth graders that made it in to school into my room and I’d have to make up a full days worth of activities (that’s happened in the past),

This sounds like a nightmare.  I have had to do similar things on days we have the schoolwide ACT testing (since I teach juniors and they are the ones tested so I rarely get the chance to just sit in a room with one group) weith kids whose classrooms are being used to give tests and whose teachers are administering said tests.  It's usually me and one other teacher in the gym with like 100 kids all trying to find ways to escape and make it to the taco bell within walking distance.

• Like 1

What what what..... here in the challenges section?  Nngh!  Yeah!  I love it!

Here to follow along for greatness and Slotherly Support!!

• Like 1

Sloth is back in the 4WC! Now I can remember to check in on you since I always forget to venture into the Battle Logs

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 12:34 AM, Yasha92 said:

Do they do a discount for meeting a certain threshold of steps? Coz Fitbits think snu snu is a pleasant jog turning into a sprint #askmehowIknow

lol.  It does, but we pretty much always hit 10K steps, so its not much of an enticement.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:48 AM, deftona said:

Sloth - By meditation app that isn't naked, sexy time, do you mean clothed sexy time where you just pull out the important bits?

(I hear it's pretty cold there, just trying to help :D )

Last night we were talking about the impending snow.  She said, "I hope we get 6 inches before midnight."  Somehow that wasn't intended as a come-on.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, Stribs said:

This sounds like a nightmare.  I have had to do similar things on days we have the schoolwide ACT testing (since I teach juniors and they are the ones tested so I rarely get the chance to just sit in a room with one group) weith kids whose classrooms are being used to give tests and whose teachers are administering said tests.  It's usually me and one other teacher in the gym with like 100 kids all trying to find ways to escape and make it to the taco bell within walking distance.

It's been a long time, but yes, it's a hard day when that happens.  At first I read that as your school has a bell that announces tacos and I was jealous.  Every school should have a taco bell.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:41 AM, Starpuck said:

What what what..... here in the challenges section?  Nngh!  Yeah!  I love it!

Here to follow along for greatness and Slotherly Support!!

Hah.  I'll try to keep up; I've already fallen hopelessly behind here.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:46 AM, Maigs said:

Sloth is back in the 4WC! Now I can remember to check in on you since I always forget to venture into the Battle Logs

:) Thanks.  Yes, the BLs are the Siberia of NF.

• Like 1

2/12/19 Tuesday - Day 9

Let's see if I can remember.  The Tl;dr is that the snow has kept me from working out, but I haven't been eating after dinner.  

My back can handle shoveling, kettlebells, or mountain biking, but I have to pick which one otherwise it gets really tight and when I bend over to pick something up it goes out.  Thus I haven't made any progress toward Simple & Sinister.  I also haven't ridden the trainer because being tired from shoveling leads to a lackluster session.  Plus I hate it.

I watched another BBC show.  Spaced.  It is a 90's slacker comedy with the folks from Shaun of the Dead.  The first season was good, but the second season was brilliant.  Right now I have Space Precinct cued up.  It's a 90's sci-fi show. It was made in Britain, but it feels American.  Only the street thugs have a British accent.

Friday - It was indeed a snow day.  I shoveled snow.  We have an itty-bitty driveway, but miles of sidewalk and I do the crazy lady's sidewalk.  I was going to ride the trainer, but I somehow fell asleep immediately after dinner.  

Saturday - My back was tweaked from shoveling. I did yoga (no asterisk) with Mrs. Sloth.  In the evening we ventured across the river to see a band - The Cactus Blossoms.  Mrs. Sloth still hasn't renewed her driver's license and the bouncer wouldn't let us in.  We had to go home to get her passport.  The bar has great burgers, but we missed out because we were driving.  Instead we got mediocre burgers elsewhere. 

It occured to me that yoga is the most painful thing I do on purpose.

Sunday & Monday - I don't remember.  I might have had to shovel again.  Or my back was still tweaked.  Either way I didn't train.  I must have shoveled one of those days because I only had about half a class on Monday because of the weather.

ETA: On Sunday I dropped Slothgirl off.  When I was done the car wouldn't start and none of the electricals were working.  I waited a half hour at 10F for a jumpstart.  I was under dressed because I was only dropping someone off.  I have to use the car again today and I'm worried I'll be stranded again.

Tuesday (today). - I got up at five to shovel.  It kept snowing and I'll have to shovel again after dinner.  I won't train today.  Again we had about half a class due to the weather.  The problem is the busses get really backed up when there's snowy roads.  Parents obviously don't want their kids waiting in the cold for up to an hour, but they also don't all have their own transportation or the ability to take time off of work so their kids have to stay home.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I watched another BBC show.  Spaced.  It is a 90's slacker comedy with the folks from Shaun of the Dead.  The first season was good, but the second season was brilliant.

Spaced is fantastic. I maintain that bogling to Aswad is a legitimate workout option and I do it frequently. 

Great work on all that shovelling, when are you expecting the thaw to come?

Your weather sounds atrocious.  I hope your car is running fine, there is nothing worse than battery failure in the frozen tundra.......

I have a new respect for you, and everyone else, who shovels snow all winter. I've shoveled snow before, but it's usually like a one shot deal. This  whole shoveling multi times a day is crazy. Hubby and I tagged team it, and still it was a lot. And not near the amount you guys get. 

• Like 1

Oh hi!

Hope you don't mind if I tag along.

Also, yeah man, shoveling snow all the time? Totally legit for strength/endurance work.

So happy to see you back on the challenge boards!  

Shoveling snow is a workout and I think it should always count as one!  We have no sidewalks but a long driveway.  It takes hours to shovel or even snowblow.  We have more snow in our forecast next week...  

Do most people shovel their sidewalks? I was surprised by the amount of people in our neighborhood who didn't. Granted, very few people may actually own snow shovels, but the first few days I just used the back of a broom. Schools are still closed because the sidewalks are unsafe, and I'm like .. ummm.. that's a problem we can solve. Most of our neighborhood is young families, so as far as I know they are physically capable. I guess we just don't know what to do when it doesn't melt in the usual day.:smile-new:

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 2:29 PM, deftona said:

Spaced is fantastic. I maintain that bogling to Aswad is a legitimate workout option and I do it frequently. 

Great work on all that shovelling, when are you expecting the thaw to come?

You’ll have to put bogling to Aswad on your channel. 

Thanks.  I’m not. 

ce1942743299287fc470b5f90cf9a2c7.jpeg

True story. 

On 2/12/2019 at 8:25 PM, h3r0 said:

Did you get a new car battery? 

No. It doesn’t seem to be a battery problem. Some sort of gremlin in the electrical system. I should take it in,  but I can’t afford a big repair bill right now so I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t happen again. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:04 PM, shaar said:

Your weather sounds atrocious.  I hope your car is running fine, there is nothing worse than battery failure in the frozen tundra.......

It’s not so bad if you’re used to it. The post-global warming cycle has been lots of snow -> big melt -> polar vortex turning everything to ice and that can be brutal. I quite like big snow that sticks around. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

I have a new respect for you, and everyone else, who shovels snow all winter. I've shoveled snow before, but it's usually like a one shot deal. This  whole shoveling multi times a day is crazy. Hubby and I tagged team it, and still it was a lot. And not near the amount you guys get. 

It’s going to be a record February for snow. I usually try to wait it out and shovel once, but my sidewalk is a bit of a thoroughfare for getting to the bus routes so I feel like I have to have them shoveled by the morning even if it hasn’t stopped. 

On 2/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, Kishi said:

Oh hi!

Hope you don't mind if I tag along.

Also, yeah man, shoveling snow all the time? Totally legit for strength/endurance work.

It’s always nice to see another kettlebeller. 

ctyp_i_live_in_minnesota_o_1024301.jpg?w

On 2/14/2019 at 5:23 AM, Stribs said:

Your weather sounds like a nightmare!  Hope you got all your car issues resolved!!!

Hah. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Terra said:

So happy to see you back on the challenge boards!  

Shoveling snow is a workout and I think it should always count as one!  We have no sidewalks but a long driveway.  It takes hours to shovel or even snowblow.  We have more snow in our forecast next week...  

Thanks. Yeah, the HRM says I burn an incredible number of calories.  It seems to break me done more than it builds me up.  Maybe I need one of those weird ergonomic shovels.  

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Do most people shovel their sidewalks? I was surprised by the amount of people in our neighborhood who didn't. Granted, very few people may actually own snow shovels, but the first few days I just used the back of a broom. Schools are still closed because the sidewalks are unsafe, and I'm like .. ummm.. that's a problem we can solve. Most of our neighborhood is young families, so as far as I know they are physically capable. I guess we just don't know what to do when it doesn't melt in the usual day.:smile-new:

Oh yeah. In our neighborhood everyone does.  If there’s a neighbor who can’t (like the crazy lady) someone will usually do it for them. The city claims 95% of people clear their sidewalks in a timely manner, but that seems high.

The problem is the sidewalk cutouts. If you don’t shovel right away after the plow comes through they solidify and are very hard to shovel. Several years ago we had a blizzard and the snow was one toddler high before the plows came through. I wish I had a picture because by the time I got through to the street I had a ravine as tall as I am. The next day the city came through with bobcats (which is why I don’t have a pic). Since then the city periodically clears all the corners. I still do mine right away for the sake of the elderly dog walkers and bus riders.  

If you don’t have a decent shovel it’s too hard. Or if you aren’t used to that kind of work either. It makes sense that your neighbors didn’t shovel. 

• Like 8