• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’ll have to put bogling to Aswad on your channel. 

Thanks.  I’m not. 

ce1942743299287fc470b5f90cf9a2c7.jpeg

True story. 

No. It doesn’t seem to be a battery problem. Some sort of gremlin in the electrical system. I should take it in,  but I can’t afford a big repair bill right now so I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t happen again. 

It’s not so bad if you’re used to it. The post-global warming cycle has been lots of snow -> big melt -> polar vortex turning everything to ice and that can be brutal. I quite like big snow that sticks around. 

It’s going to be a record February for snow. I usually try to wait it out and shovel once, but my sidewalk is a bit of a thoroughfare for getting to the bus routes so I feel like I have to have them shoveled by the morning even if it hasn’t stopped. 

It’s always nice to see another kettlebeller. 

ctyp_i_live_in_minnesota_o_1024301.jpg?w

Hah. Thanks. 

Thanks. Yeah, the HRM says I burn an incredible number of calories.  It seems to break me done more than it builds me up.  Maybe I need one of those weird ergonomic shovels.  

Oh yeah. In our neighborhood everyone does.  If there’s a neighbor who can’t (like the crazy lady) someone will usually do it for them. The city claims 95% of people clear their sidewalks in a timely manner, but that seems high.

The problem is the sidewalk cutouts. If you don’t shovel right away after the plow comes through they solidify and are very hard to shovel. Several years ago we had a blizzard and the snow was one toddler high before the plows came through. I wish I had a picture because by the time I got through to the street I had a ravine as tall as I am. The next day the city came through with bobcats (which is why I don’t have a pic). Since then the city periodically clears all the corners. I still do mine right away for the sake of the elderly dog walkers and bus riders.  

If you don’t have a decent shovel it’s too hard. Or if you aren’t used to that kind of work either. It makes sense that your neighbors didn’t shovel. 

I think a lot of people thought it would melt right away and  waited, and then it gets super hard to shovel. We finally had a sow plow come through our street, but then we have stacks of snow on the side. We just have a little path to get to our driveway, and I am going to go out there (or at least I think I am , only it's a solid chunk of ice) and try and make a bigger path.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, KB Girl said:

It'll be well earned beer at least ;)

How many sixth graders have you got? How big is this school? How many do you usually get in your room?

(sorry all the questions, the American public/private school thing interests me) 

Oops. I missed this the first time around. Sorry. 

We have been out of beer for the last couple of weeks so I didn’t get one.  Mrs. Sloth is low carb now and beer isn’t enough of a priority for me to get my own. 

As far as numbers go, I have a pretty good situation. The district provides enough funding for 30 student classrooms, but my school uses discretionary spending* to buy classroom size down to 25 students per class. In the past they’ve used their money differently (classroom aides and music teachers) and I’ve had as many as 37 students.  

There are about 100 sixth graders more or less evenly divided into 4 sections. 

Our school is a K-8 (kindergarten (5 year olds) through 8th grade (13 or 14 years old)). It’s the biggest non-high school in th district at about 1000 students.  

In our district probably 85% of the spending is dictated by state requirements and by the district, but the rest is discretionary at the school level. It is typically used for supplies, buying down classroom size, teacher aides, art/ music teachers.  We also get some extra money because we have such a high number of students living in poverty and probably two and half teacher’s worth of money because we’re a magnet school.  

• Like 1

2/13/19 Wednesday

I woke up with a tweaked back from shoveling. I didn’t even start a workout. I had conferences in the evening.  That’s an extrovert’s job. It takes me hours to calm down afterwards.  I didn’t ate after dinner, but to be fair I didn’t have dinner until after 9:00.  

2/14/19 Thursday - Happy Valentine’s Day. 

I didn’t try to workout. We had evening conferences again. Turnout was low. It snowed for a awhile and when it stopped the temps dropped quite a bit, either of those could explain all the ghosting.

Afterwards Mrs. Sloth took the family to a brewpub for burgers.  I had a really good sour beer.  I would have had another, but service was slow and by the time the waitress came back around I was getting anxious to get the crabby kids home.  

2/15/19 Friday

I have the day off as a comp day for the evening conferences.  I haven’t done anything worthwhile yet (it’s about 3:00) except drink a pot of coffee and argue on the Internet, but I’m about to shovel snow. Just a couple of inches and two or three sidewalk cut-outs from the snowplow. Afterwards I’ll either throw the KB around or ride the trainer, depending on how my back feels.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had conferences in the evening.  That’s an extrovert’s job. It takes me hours to calm down afterwards.

I feel for teachers whenever these things roll around.  Especially parent-teacher meetings.  The parents get all stressed out but they only have to do it once (maybe twice if they have more kids).  The poor teacher has to do it 37 times.

Aren't teachers supposed to be extroverts?

• Like 1

If it's not the battery then it's one of your ground wires since you can still jump it off. Trace the grounds and see if one of them is loose or more likely rusted at the connection to the frame. Clean up the rust and tighten the bolt and you should be good. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:24 AM, deftona said:

What did you think of Ab Fab? And I think maybe you should embrace the Rurik's Beard look (I'm sure he'll love how this is becoming a thing) 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, Sylvaa said:

I mean, I don't think it'll be something he brings up in conversation....

I feel like this is something Rurik would bring up in EVERY conversation

Dude you're a pretty great guy for being so on top of the snow situation and also doing it for the crazy lady. 

On 2/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oops. I missed this the first time around. Sorry. 

We have been out of beer for the last couple of weeks so I didn’t get one.  Mrs. Sloth is low carb now and beer isn’t enough of a priority for me to get my own. 

As far as numbers go, I have a pretty good situation. The district provides enough funding for 30 student classrooms, but my school uses discretionary spending* to buy classroom size down to 25 students per class. In the past they’ve used their money differently (classroom aides and music teachers) and I’ve had as many as 37 students.  

There are about 100 sixth graders more or less evenly divided into 4 sections. 

Our school is a K-8 (kindergarten (5 year olds) through 8th grade (13 or 14 years old)). It’s the biggest non-high school in th district at about 1000 students.  

In our district probably 85% of the spending is dictated by state requirements and by the district, but the rest is discretionary at the school level. It is typically used for supplies, buying down classroom size, teacher aides, art/ music teachers.  We also get some extra money because we have such a high number of students living in poverty and probably two and half teacher’s worth of money because we’re a magnet school.  

And thanks for humouring my curiosity! That is absolutely huge. I've never even heard of a school around here that has more than one class per grade, so that's where the question came from. But it's different on so many fronts, for example we don't have any kids taking a bus to school, there is always a school within walking/biking distance. And all schools are basically the same so unless you're very religious or your parents are very hippy you'll just go to the closest one. 

So next question; what's a magnet school? 

And.. by poverty you mean pretty serious situation? didn't you mention that some kids are dependent on school meals? Do they also get breakfast?

On 2/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

duty_calls.png

I just hate wrong-headed people on the internet.  I really only argue with people I know and who are able to be  respectful.  

On 2/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

I feel for teachers whenever these things roll around.  Especially parent-teacher meetings.  The parents get all stressed out but they only have to do it once (maybe twice if they have more kids).  The poor teacher has to do it 37 times.

Aren't teachers supposed to be extroverts?

They are totally supposed to be extroverts.  My whole team, except the special ed teacher, are on the introvert side of the spectrum.  As a result the rest of the school thinks we’re snooty and stuck up and aren’t team players.  

As a middle school teacher 8should have about a hundred conferences.  About half way through my brain goes fuzzy and I stop recognizing kids and I start babbling.  

On 2/15/2019 at 9:02 PM, h3r0 said:

If it's not the battery then it's one of your ground wires since you can still jump it off. Trace the grounds and see if one of them is loose or more likely rusted at the connection to the frame. Clean up the rust and tighten the bolt and you should be good. 

You are my new go-to car person.  Cleaning up the crud seemed to cure the problem. Thanks.  

17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I am horribly behind on this challenge.   But I saw this on the face place, and I was like ... this needs to reach NF.

OMG. This needs a love button.  If I knew how much I would miss the kids running around the house in a costume for no particular reason I would have bought them a whole bunch more. 

You’re not behind. Timeliness is never a criteria when you’re dealing with Sloths. 

8 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I feel like this is something Rurik would bring up in EVERY conversation

Really?   

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Dude you're a pretty great guy for being so on top of the snow situation and also doing it for the crazy lady. 

And thanks for humouring my curiosity! That is absolutely huge. I've never even heard of a school around here that has more than one class per grade, so that's where the question came from. But it's different on so many fronts, for example we don't have any kids taking a bus to school, there is always a school within walking/biking distance. And all schools are basically the same so unless you're very religious or your parents are very hippy you'll just go to the closest one. 

So next question; what's a magnet school? 

And.. by poverty you mean pretty serious situation? didn't you mention that some kids are dependent on school meals? Do they also get breakfast?

Oh thanks. It doesn’t feel like a big deal, everyone does it.  When the guy kitty corner from me moved in he didn’t bother shoveling until it was too late and he always had an icy, treacherous sidewalk. Eventually his wife’s uncle gave him an earful and he straightened up. I have to assume there was some questioning of his manhood.  

Wow.  I used to work in a small school and we still had two classes per grade.  That would be a great situation. 

Magnet schools usually focused on one aspect of schooling and try to make it a large part of the learning. My school is a performing arts magnet. We have a large and good orchestra, also a good band and choir. Science, visual arts, or a foreign language are other typical options. They pull in students from large areas - a typical grade school around here pulls from a two or three mile radius while we pull from the entirety of South/ south east/ south west Minneapolis.  sometimes they’re competitive to get in to.  They were originally designed to stem the loss of white, middle class students and to provide poor, minority students with quality programming. They were also designed to desegregate the school system without having to resort to forced bussing.  

Poverty can mean mean a lot of different things.  In my experience, with my students, most poor people are working, so they’re not completely destitute, but they certainly don’t have any real spending money once rent, food, and transportation are dealt with. This year I had four students tell me they didn’t get Christmas presents because of having to move, rent, or an emergency.  About 20% of my students are homeless.  Most of them are couch surfing with various relatives, a few are in a shelter, at least one is living in a tent.  

My school has free breakfast (it’s small) and lunch.  If you sign up for after-school classes you also get second lunch before the afternoon classes start.  They have started cooking again (for years everything was prepackaged and put in a giant microwave) and the food is pretty good.  

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Chloe the sloth visited for our wildlife show last weekend and I thought of you. Mostly, wondering if your hair is that lustrous?

dsc_8155.jpg

That’s pretty cool. Our zoo has a baby sloth, but no one has seen it yet.  

No, I keep my hair in a high and tight fade.  In my teens I had long, thick, black shiny hair though.  

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Hope your back is feeling better!

Thanks brother. It was never really bad, just a bit tight. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

No, I keep my hair in a high and tight fade.  In my teens I had long, thick, black shiny hair though.  

I need to see a picture of teenage lustrous-locked sloth. 

• Like 2

2/19/19 - Monday - I seem to have failed the daily posting part of my challenge. 

In the last five days I did S&S three times.  It’s better than nothing, but not good enough for a high frequency program. The goblin squats are still making my groin sore, I had to drop the get ups to 12 kg and they still feel janky, I’m swinging at 24kg, but it feels like I should go down. It’ll come back together though. I did a 15 minute yoga program twice.  I didn’t ride the trainer at all. I haven’t been eating after dinner, but that’s kind of been a cheat because dinner has been really late.

Saturday - Slothboy, my dad, and I went to monster trucks.  It was a good show, Slothboy loved it. When we got home Mrs.  Sloth had picked picked up a foster dog I wasn’t expecting.  Apparently the foster backed out and she didn’t have any where to go. This is the raggediest, chewed up, sad sack of a dog we’ve had yet.  She reminds me of the opossums you occasionally see in Minnesota.  Chewed up tail, missing parts of their ears, skin black with frost bite.  She cries when she eats, she’s mangy, and she is covered in skin tumors, she stinks, she’s mostly blind and gets lost in the kitchen. My guess is after she finally gets a vet visit is that the rescue will call her unadoptable and put her in the hospice program. If that happens we’ll keep her and take care of her.  

f5bc2c0a4fca1f59c257192bbf07d983.jpg

This is the best picture I have of her. She looks worse in person. She’s awful nice though and grateful of any attention.

Sunday - we went sledding.  I finally got some beer. 

Monday - Day off of school for President’s Day. We went bowling; I didn’t break 100.

Tuesday - Professional Development day. It wasn’t bad.  But I’d much rather be teaching.  My students need a big dose of consistency.  I did S&S.  We’re supposed to get another big snowfall tonight. 

• Like 8

I need to see a picture of teenage lustrous-locked sloth. 

I wish I had one to show you. I was doing the 80’s heavy metal dirt ball look. Concert Ts, boot cut jeans, jean or leather jacket, and hiking boots were my regular uniform.

In between the ages of three and forty (when I had kids and starting taking my own damn pictures) almost no pictures of me exist.
  • Sad 1

I love that dog and adore you all for caring for foster pups! Following and I just wanted to thank you so much for always providing support on my challenges. Feels niiiceeee

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This year I had four students tell me they didn’t get Christmas presents because of having to move, rent, or an emergency.

This shit really gets to me as a teacher, but we have a great program where clubs can sponsor families (they don't know WHO just what to buy) so we look after each other.  That and our social workers have an uncanny ability to come up with free stuff.

That dog looks so tired.  Glad it has a good warm home now! (and a sweater to boot)

• Like 1

I have the same thing; there are almost no pictures of me before I met my beautiful shutterbug wife.  I'm good with it.  Most of the time I looked like a creep.  Unlike now, when I only occasionally look like a creep.  ;-)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In the last five days I did S&S three times.  It’s better than nothing, but not good enough for a high frequency program. The goblin squats are still making my groin sore, I had to drop the get ups to 12 kg and they still feel janky, I’m swinging at 24kg, but it feels like I should go down. It’ll come back together though.

Yeah. S&S is an attempt to combine the concept of Minimum Effective Dose with Soviet-style training-as-practice. As I understand it, it's based on the work of kettlebelling boxers, so people who are already putting in high volume on other activities and need just enough to cover a general physical base.

That being said, it certainly helped me out to get that Real World strength, and I'm hoping to see what it's like when one gets to using a 48kg for both movements. Still stuck on 16, though, and only going up once a month. -_-

Poverty can mean mean a lot of different things.  In my experience, with my students, most poor people are working, so they’re not completely destitute, but they certainly don’t have any real spending money once rent, food, and transportation are dealt with. This year I had four students tell me they didn’t get Christmas presents because of having to move, rent, or an emergency.  About 20% of my students are homeless.  Most of them are couch surfing with various relatives, a few are in a shelter, at least one is living in a tent.  

My school has free breakfast (it’s small) and lunch.  If you sign up for after-school classes you also get second lunch before the afternoon classes start.  They have started cooking again (for years everything was prepackaged and put in a giant microwave) and the food is pretty good.

God, that sounds tough. I'm glad to hear that the school is stepping up, but it sounds like there's only so much that can be done. It hurts my heart whenever I hear about things like that. :( I hope the poverty is dealt with someday. Sooner rather than later.

When we got home Mrs.  Sloth had picked picked up a foster dog I wasn’t expecting.  Apparently the foster backed out and she didn’t have any where to go. This is the raggediest, chewed up, sad sack of a dog we’ve had yet.  She reminds me of the opossums you occasionally see in Minnesota.  Chewed up tail, missing parts of their ears, skin black with frost bite.  She cries when she eats, she’s mangy, and she is covered in skin tumors, she stinks, she’s mostly blind and gets lost in the kitchen. My guess is after she finally gets a vet visit is that the rescue will call her unadoptable and put her in the hospice program. If that happens we’ll keep her and take care of her.  

Good for you. That's something that needs doing; it's good that you were able to do it.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, ladyofthebog said:

I love that dog and adore you all for caring for foster pups! Following and I just wanted to thank you so much for always providing support on my challenges. Feels niiiceeee

Oh thanks.  Most of the hard work is done by Mrs. Sloth.  

On 2/20/2019 at 5:39 AM, Stribs said:

This shit really gets to me as a teacher, but we have a great program where clubs can sponsor families (they don't know WHO just what to buy) so we look after each other.  That and our social workers have an uncanny ability to come up with free stuff.

That dog looks so tired.  Glad it has a good warm home now! (and a sweater to boot)

We have an old, house.  It's only sort-of warm.  

We have good social workers too and there are lots of programs in the city to help you out, but there's only so much to go around.  

On 2/20/2019 at 7:11 AM, Cheetah said:

I have the same thing; there are almost no pictures of me before I met my beautiful shutterbug wife.  I'm good with it.  Most of the time I looked like a creep.  Unlike now, when I only occasionally look like a creep.  ;-)

I don't know if I looked like a creep, but I certainly looked like a weirdo.  Perhaps that's why no one wanted to take my picture.

22 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah. S&S is an attempt to combine the concept of Minimum Effective Dose with Soviet-style training-as-practice. As I understand it, it's based on the work of kettlebelling boxers, so people who are already putting in high volume on other activities and need just enough to cover a general physical base.

That being said, it certainly helped me out to get that Real World strength, and I'm hoping to see what it's like when one gets to using a 48kg for both movements. Still stuck on 16, though, and only going up once a month. -_-

God, that sounds tough. I'm glad to hear that the school is stepping up, but it sounds like there's only so much that can be done. It hurts my heart whenever I hear about things like that. :( I hope the poverty is dealt with someday. Sooner rather than later.

Good for you. That's something that needs doing; it's good that you were able to do it.

A few years ago I used S&S successfully as a GPP program for mountain biking.  The crux is consistency, which is my nemesis.  Whew, 48 kg seems impossible.  Going up once a month is a lot.

The school doing a lot smacks of socialism.  Which I'm ok with.  I'll admit, I don't know the answers, but I don't like kids coming to school hungry.  For fear of getting too political I'll stop there.

Having the dogs are fun (usually) and it's nice to be useful.

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I found this article that talked about some good drills to make sure you have proper form when you do the swing

http://www.tdathletesedge.com/blog/2019/2/10/master-your-kettlebell-swing

Nice.  Thanks.

When I'm janky like this, I use the cue to make the swing feel like a jump and most importantly

l-thinki-dropped-something-on-the-floor-

• Like 3

2/20/19 Wednesday - 

It was a snow day.  We have officially broken the record for February snow fall.  This would have been a good year to own a snowblower.  I shoveled when we hit a few inches.  Someone snowblowed the whole block's sidewalk after a few more inches and after it was done snowing I went out and shoveled again.  No other training.  Eating was not good.

The kids had friends over so they didn't need much attention from me.  I binged The Expanse when I wasn't shoveling.  I just discovered it and it is great.   

2/21/19 Thursday - Back to school.  Today I'm resting my back, although I'll have to shovel out the end of the driveway and a couple of corner cutouts after the plow goes through.

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, Xena said:

I like the foster dog pic.

And now I totally want to see the baby sloth.

Sad-sack dog is really pathetic in person. Two different adults came over today and laughed at her.  The vet said she most likely has spent her whole life in an outside kennel.  She’s mostly blind and is bumping into the walls; for a while I thought she was pretty dumb because she can’t seem to learn the layout of the house, but then I finally realized she is used to space being small and rectangular.  

2/23/19 & 2/24/19

Saturday - I mostly hung out around the house.  My arms were still feeling wrecked from all the shoveling.  I shoveled another inch or two of snow (45 minutes at a sloth pace).  Eating was garbage again. 

Sunday -  Arms are definitely trashed. I spent two hours shoveling us (and the neighbor) out.  I then spent another hour shoveling the war rig out so I could move it before the plows came through. After a long, protracted lunch I replaced Mrs. Sloth’s battery.  The nice thing about replacing a battery is you always get to do it when it’s utterly frigid out. 

It’s 8:00 here.  I’d go to bed, but the kids need clean clothes for tomorrow. Instead I’ll have a beer and eat a whole bunch more while I wait. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

After a long, protracted lunch I replaced Mrs. Sloth’s battery.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be code for anything.

• Haha 2