• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Of course, I'm sure JStanlick is handsome.

https://giphy.com/gifs/gatorade-reaction-football-9J3zuqFdepTrij6YPE

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

can't bring myself to do the getups.

Ugh. Getups are my least favorite KB exercise. Overhead squats are what I tend to do as a replacement. Not the same of course, but close enough for me to not do them :chuncky:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Not too much to report.  Eventually I stopped being too sore and achey from shoveling and attempted to start working out.  I am working on S&S, but sort of half-heartedly.  I can't bring myself to do the getups.

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Funny, same thing happened to me today.

See, this is what I was thinking.  I thought about what movements you're getting with a TGU, and it's basically almost the same as doing some presses and squats.  Which are much simpler exercises to execute with good form. 

5 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Ugh. Getups are my least favorite KB exercise. Overhead squats are what I tend to do as a replacement. Not the same of course, but close enough for me to not do them :chuncky:

Ohhh interesting to hear I'm not alone in my getup phobia. I really thought I was since EVERYONE is doing S&S. I can't actually do them but also have very low low desire to learn. They just seem like a nice party trick to do when you already have the requisite stability and mobility- but not a way towards getting that stability and mobility.. 

I wouldn't recommend overhead squats to someone with a history of back problems, but overhead walks, goblet squats, presses (standing or seated), rows, single leg deadlifts.. so many things to choose from! (not that I do any of that stuff either, hehehehehe)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, Elastigirl said:

What about doing Military presses or carries instead of the get ups? 

I should just suck it up and do them; I don’t mind them as much if I do them from the top down and back up again.   I’ve considered replacing them with Shovelglove. It’s totally different, but I need to burn off some of this winter chub. 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:22 PM, Cheetah said:

Funny, same thing happened to me today.

See, this is what I was thinking.  I thought about what movements you're getting with a TGU, and it's basically almost the same as doing some presses and squats.  Which are much simpler exercises to execute with good form. 

It’s really a complicated movement.  If I was trying to use the same muscles I think I’d do a clean & press into a reverse lunge followed by a set of Russian twists.  It’d take longer of course.  

On 3/7/2019 at 10:20 PM, jstanlick said:

https://giphy.com/gifs/gatorade-reaction-football-9J3zuqFdepTrij6YPE

You can do overhead squats?  I’m impressed. My shoulders won’t let me. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:26 AM, KB Girl said:

Ohhh interesting to hear I'm not alone in my getup phobia. I really thought I was since EVERYONE is doing S&S. I can't actually do them but also have very low low desire to learn. They just seem like a nice party trick to do when you already have the requisite stability and mobility- but not a way towards getting that stability and mobility.. 

I wouldn't recommend overhead squats to someone with a history of back problems, but overhead walks, goblet squats, presses (standing or seated), rows, single leg deadlifts.. so many things to choose from! (not that I do any of that stuff either, hehehehehe)

They are such an integrated movement, my whole body feels better when I’m doing them.  Of course, it might be that when my body feels good I’m more likely to do them. 

I dont think that S&S is an end-all or be-all program,  but I like having a punch-the-clock workout that I don’t have to think about.  

• Like 1

3/8/19 Friday - It was a really long day,  by the time I left for Nerd Night it felt like it was Saturday so today felt like Sunday.  Mrs. Sloth wanted to go to church basement fish fry.  I ate too much fried fish and have a rumblely tummy.  I didn’t train because I was running all day. 

Nerd Night was good.  I don’t remember if I ever talked about this game,  but we’re playing a D20 Modern campaign which is like D&D 3.5 set in the modern world.  It’s sort of an X Files campaign. I’m not that into it because it’s almost all puzzle solving.  I much prefer playing a hack-and-slash game. It’s good to stretch myself I guess. After a few years our rotating crew of players has winnowed down to a core group of six. 

3/9/19 Saturday - Lazy morning. We went to a Pow Wow in the afternoon.  No fry bread vendor :disgust:   .  Which is probably for the best for my belly.  I didn’t train because we were expecting a bunch of snow. Instead we got rain all afternoon which turned to freezing rain, slush, and finally snow.  As soon as that happened I got out there and shoveled before the bottom layer froze up.  It was like shoveling a neutron star.  I did two passes and am wiped out.  Tomorrow I’m going to need a good long soak and some yoga. 

2f3ba4e4050e3aa1d42410c5fe8222a9.jpg

Nora, least raggedy dog we’ve had in a while. She was a short termer. Snuggly chug.

14e96d3de85896ae11a185e3d9122e06.jpg

Lily is in back. We’ll probably have her for a while. She’s been neglected. Is blind and gets lost in the house. She is finally starting to wag her tail.

Charlotte is in front. She was a short termer too. She’s an old, blind pug. She went blind in a more complex environment than a kennel and can find her way around pretty well.

475c3a53adb62afcab65c1594c052241.jpg

Muffy, she’s new. She isn’t very raggedy except for some weird shaved spots from a vet visit. She’ll probably get adopted soon.

• Like 11