• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm is still here

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

In other news, my new squat rack arrived and is currently sitting in pieces on my garage floor. I get to put that together this evening when I get home and test it out. And by test I mean lift from it. Once it is built I will finally have a place to catch up on all of my chins/pullups that I missed this week. Woohoo!

Ooh, a rack at home is nice. It means you don't have to see anyone doing partial squats with hugely ambitious weights while their squishy running shoes lift off the ground. Your eye won't twitch in sympathy when you see deadlifts hanging from perfectly arched spines. But I suppose it also means no one will dash over and rescue you from failed benches. Nor do you get to look around in between sets and see who is overhead pressing more than you deadlift, or who has weird two-toned leggings that bring out every muscle in their.... glute-ham tie in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, bigm141414 said:

And since I did the adult thing of buying a new mattress, I did the non-adult thing of picking up a new squat rack. Currently all  I have in the garage is squat stands which have worked great the last 7 years but I wanted a place to do pull-ups/ring dips outside of a doorframe where my knees touch the ground, and  I wanted the ability to attach some safety spotters arms for when my bench gets really heavy. I lift alone so safety is important. Plus did y'all know there are a bunch of cool garage gym equipment these days? Thank the gods for crossfit for making this stuff cool. 

the daughter we live next to has a large barn....we bought a play set for the kids around thanksgiving and put it inside to avoid the mud.  Come spring, that goes outside and I think we start building a real gym...

Week1.5 

DELAA - Check. All good with the foods, even on a Friday. No drinks either in something like 2.5 weeks. 

Lifting - Rest day. Didn't even attempt anything when I got home. Was a long day at work. 

Week 1.6

DELAA -  Check. Went and grabbed groceries for the week. Made a big pot of spicy ass buffalo chicken soup. I've got 4 meals plus I froze the extra soup base for quick eats later down the road. 

Lifting - Check. Deets below. First time with the new rack. It went well. Took a bit getting used to with re-racking the bar. It is a bit wider than my old stands which led me to misplace the ends of the bar a few times. I'll learn. It's nice being able to just walk forward and sink down though. With the stands I had to always be careful not to overshoot the tops. Also caught up on some of the missed chins/pullups. And hooked up my rings to the pull up bar as well. Tried some dips. Still terrible at them. I also did some walkouts with 235 on the bar just to test stability of the rack when dealing with a heavier load. No real issues, but I need to keep an eye on it when I get back to a 3 plate squat. 

sets reps rx actual
Day 4 - Feb 16  
Deadlift 1 5 50% 100
3x10 @ 50% 1 4 60% 120
last set was SL 1 3 70% 140
  3 10 50% 100
EMOM KB swings 5 10   44

Tempo front squat 1 1 50% 85
Tempo = 07x15 1 1 60% 105
to heavy single then 1 1 80% 140
3x3 @ 80% 3 3 50% 85
BB rows 5 10   85
Pullups banded 3 5    
Squat walkouts 3 15s   235

Week1.7

DELAA -  Good. Sundays are usually my lighter food days, usually skip breakfast and then eat a light lunch and dinner. 

Lifting  - Active rest day. I went into the office gym (had to go in and check on a test that I started to run over the weekend anyway). 30 minutes on the bike for some (gasp!) non-squat based cardio. Then did the following 

• Superset - 3 rounds 
    • 8 wide grip lat pulldowns - 120lbs 
    • 10 calf raises - 145lbs 
    • 50 step farmers walk - 60lbs dumbbell each hand. 

The last farmers walk almost did me in. That's what I get for working out on a stomach exclusively filled with coffee. Afterwards, I showered and went to check on my test, then spent probably another 2 hours in the lab watching things and fixing them as needed. 

Random life stuffs - Read a bunch over the weekend. The book is finally starting to pick up and I have gotten used to the characters speaking styles so it's going quicker. Been a while since I read a dense fiction book. Practiced the piano for 20 minutes today. Which means I did not accomplish this goal. Oh well, I can't beat my self up about it, there is always next week. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, raptron said:

I know it sounds crazy, but it is possible to do aerobic conditioning NOT in the forum of squats. 

ron burgandy that doesnt make any sense gif

On 2/15/2019 at 8:15 AM, Harriet said:

Ooh, a rack at home is nice. It means you don't have to see anyone doing partial squats with hugely ambitious weights while their squishy running shoes lift off the ground. Your eye won't twitch in sympathy when you see deadlifts hanging from perfectly arched spines. But I suppose it also means no one will dash over and rescue you from failed benches. Nor do you get to look around in between sets and see who is overhead pressing more than you deadlift, or who has weird two-toned leggings that bring out every muscle in their.... glute-ham tie in. 

Hahahah. Ah, the joys of lifting in a gym. There are days where I miss it just for the people watching. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, wildross said:

the daughter we live next to has a large barn....we bought a play set for the kids around thanksgiving and put it inside to avoid the mud.  Come spring, that goes outside and I think we start building a real gym...

Ooooo. You building everything from scratch or going to pick up a full power rack? What about the floors? Got a concrete pad in there already and just going to put down some rubber mats? 

Ooooo. You building everything from scratch or going to pick up a full power rack? What about the floors? Got a concrete pad in there already and just going to put down some rubber mats? 

Unclear. Depends which part of the barn we use

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Week2.1

DELAA - Check. 

Lifting - Check. A decent day. I got 10 reps with the big boy plates for bench. Now we're into the guessing game of which lift will fail to meet the 10+ rep first. I am betting on OHP first, because OHP always fails first. 

sets reps rx actual
Day 1 - Feb 18  
Bench Press 1 5 50% 70
3x5+ 1 4 55% 75
Last set is AMRAP 1 3 70% 95
  1 2 85% 115
  2 5 100% 135
AMRAP set 1 11 100% 135
Deadlift 1 5 50% 110
1x5+ 1 4 55% 120
Last set is AMRAP 1 3 70% 155
  1 3 85% 185

AMRAP set 1 10 100% 215
Curls 3 8   50

BBB Press 3 10   45

Other random stuff - Thought about my next block of programming. I have a work trip coming up in the middle of March which messes things up as far as consistency goes. So I am leaning towards keeping the current program, extending it for 3 weeks, and then using the travel week as my first full rest week of the year. It's always a shit show when I go to the home office. Lots of people to see and catch up with, lunches and happy hours, etc. I will have access to the work gym there so it is an option to get in a workout while I am there, but it isn't a priority when I travel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

OHP is designed to fail first, always. Silly OHP.

I knoowwwwww. Stupid noodlely-ass long arms. I have 100lbs for my work set this week and I reaaaaaalllllly want to be able to say I moved a thousand pounds in one set of OHP (10x100=1000, math checks out). My pride will be my downfall here.