• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Atrytone

Atrytone: Be present

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Bonus positivity: The stars. Clear nights are chilly but so beautiful. Glad I'm away from the city.

 

One of the things I miss about living out in the sticks is all of the stars.  :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

 

One of the things I miss about living out in the sticks is all of the stars.  :-)

 

They're awesome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

Today's positive (2/7): Cool pants and stocking sales.

Woohoo! Hope the stockings are cool too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's Positive (3/7): An overwhelming desire to go to the gym again. 

 

I'm leaning strongly towards the women's gym in town because, while there is a significant focus on cardio and an extreme lack of heavy free-weights, I really like the idea of not having to deal with dudes while I'm working out. To clarify a little, I live somewhere with a much older population so I get a lot of flak from middle aged and elderly men whenever I want to use the squat cage. They'll just stand and stare and tell me I'm doing it wrong or I should use lighter weights (not to mention the dreaded, "you'll get too bulky" - to which I want to reply, piss off it's none of your business what I look like) or they'll ask me if I'm done yet and then hover until I finish the last set. It doesn't happen all the time but it's common enough that there's one gym in the area that I refuse to use anymore because of one person in particular. He was super creepy.

 

Anyway yeah. I think I'll sign up this Friday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atrytone said:

I get a lot of flak from middle aged and elderly men whenever I want to use the squat cage. They'll just stand and stare and tell me I'm doing it wrong or I should use lighter weights (not to mention the dreaded, "you'll get too bulky" - to which I want to reply, piss off it's none of your business what I look like) or they'll ask me if I'm done yet and then hover until I finish the last set.

 

What the shit?  I’m so sorry you have had to put up with that. 

 

Enjoy riding the motivation wave at the women-only gym!  It’s awesome to get the spark back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Today's Positive (3/7): An overwhelming desire to go to the gym again. 

 

I'm leaning strongly towards the women's gym in town because, while there is a significant focus on cardio and an extreme lack of heavy free-weights, I really like the idea of not having to deal with dudes while I'm working out. To clarify a little, I live somewhere with a much older population so I get a lot of flak from middle aged and elderly men whenever I want to use the squat cage. They'll just stand and stare and tell me I'm doing it wrong or I should use lighter weights (not to mention the dreaded, "you'll get too bulky" - to which I want to reply, piss off it's none of your business what I look like) or they'll ask me if I'm done yet and then hover until I finish the last set. It doesn't happen all the time but it's common enough that there's one gym in the area that I refuse to use anymore because of one person in particular. He was super creepy.

 

Anyway yeah. I think I'll sign up this Friday.

oh man...

 

that sucks!  i agree with rad that it is beyond rude to say ANYTHING like that to someone using a squat cage.  IMHO, you really should  let the gym about someone being creepy and rude.  ...

BUT, I DO understand the appeal of going to a new place. so...

Good Luck!

never let any one put you down.

 

and Stay positive. I've really, really enjoyed your challenge.  I love the idea of finding something positive each day- it was a really awesome idea!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Radost said:

 

What the shit?  I’m so sorry you have had to put up with that. 

 

Enjoy riding the motivation wave at the women-only gym!  It’s awesome to get the spark back. 

 

Yeah. I never got anything like that when I was in Vancouver, even though I was still uncomfortable working out around dudes. I guess it's an age thing? Not sure really. Maybe it's just a rich white dude thing. There were barely any women in that gym now that I think of it. I saw maybe one or two and then everyone else was male.

 

3 hours ago, TGP said:

oh man...

 

that sucks!  i agree with rad that it is beyond rude to say ANYTHING like that to someone using a squat cage.  IMHO, you really should  let the gym about someone being creepy and rude.  ...

BUT, I DO understand the appeal of going to a new place. so...

Good Luck!

never let any one put you down.

 

and Stay positive. I've really, really enjoyed your challenge.  I love the idea of finding something positive each day- it was a really awesome idea!

 

Yeah - I don't think it was INTENTIONALLY creepy, which was why I didn't say anything, but it still wigged me out. Just different values I guess? Because there are still people that think women shouldn't lift heavy (not that I actually can lift heavy yet but it's a goal).

Thank you, I struggle with pessimism usually so it was important for me to try and stay positive as much as possible. Not sure if I'll keep it up as much next challenge but I think it was good for me this cycle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

I never got anything like that when I was in Vancouver, even though I was still uncomfortable working out around dudes. I guess it's an age thing? Not sure really.

Big city = people stay out of others' business more, maybe?  Nobody's ever said a thing to me at any of the gyms I've used here, although I also think I am...naturally not viewed as a person to make random comments to?  (too chubby and frumpy to be a prize/evoke a wish to protect; too fit and pretty to look like an easy target)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Radost said:

Big city = people stay out of others' business more, maybe?  Nobody's ever said a thing to me at any of the gyms I've used here, although I also think I am...naturally not viewed as a person to make random comments to?  (too chubby and frumpy to be a prize/evoke a wish to protect; too fit and pretty to look like an easy target)

 

That might be it. I'm in a really small town.

 

I try to not be someone people talk to (obvious headphones mostly) but it never seems to work which is kind of a pain in the ass when you just want to be left alone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge wrap up time.

 

On 2/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, Atrytone said:
  • Be Present
    1. Aim for 5+ daily positivities/week (to be posted here)
    2. Spend more time interacting with people on the forum (ie. don't be a lurker)
    3. Evening walks on days possible (work and weather permitting)
  • Eat Better
    1. Reduce junk (specifically chips which are the delicious and salty bane of my existence right now)
    2. No eating after 8 pm (with the exception of nights I work late; the intent here is to cut down on pre-bedtime snacking)
  • Sleep Better
    1. In bed by 10 pm (without electronics)
    2. Pre-sleep routine starting at 9 pm
      1. Brush teeth
      2. Wash face
      3. Moisturize

 

I mostly just focused on my daily positives. I think I did a little better interacting than I have in the past. 

 

Everything else...well. Not great. However, I'm in a much better place mentally than I was at the beginning of this challenge (or the last for that matter) and I actually want to go to the gym now. So that's going to be my focus next challenge. I think I need to keep fewer goals in the future. I often end up sticking to one, or maybe two, sub-goal(s) and then ignoring the rest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now