• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Insert Training Montage Here, Part 1 [Elennare]

Last challenge went pretty well!  I made fairly good progress with my healthy habits, and am slowly (so slowly) starting to actually see a bit of progress.  So of course life comes along and says it's time to switch gears.

My new derby team is going to a tournament in April.  I want to get on the roster for it.  Based on the lineups for our inter-league scrimmage this coming Saturday, they want me to be a jammer.  Yikes.

Tournament = almost certainly 2 games in one day, possibly with only an hour break between them.

Making the roster = being in the top 14 skaters on the team.

Flat track jamming = strong AF and LOTS of endurance.  And skating fast helps too.

I'm currently writing this on the idea that they want me to jam, but honestly, even if they change their mind on that, nothing I'd be working on for that would be wasted as a blocker.  So I probably won't change anything even if they change my position.

Goals!

Part one is going to be pretty simple.  I've already got a good thing going with my food, so I'm going to maintain that for now.  Not going to track it here, but I will be writing down everything I eat.  Improving that will come later.

Sleep: 8 hours every night.  Exceptions only for practice nights, in which case the goal will be as much sleep as I can get.  This is an area I struggle with a lot, and one of the biggest things holding me back.  It's very hard to make gainz when you're chronically sleep deprived.

Exercise:

-Meet my step goal every day.  So far, I have done that every day this year, and I have no plans to break my streak.

-Hit the gym.  No set number of days/week or anything like that, just finish my current training plan by the end of the month.

-Yoga.  I've got a yoga plan designed for derby players, to help improve skating ability and to even out some of the muscle imbalances that tend to happen when you skate a lot.  I will be doing that every day I'm not in the gym or going to practice.  If I can find the time, I'd like to do it on practice days as well, but that's a stretch goal.

Going to start on the 11th, and use zero week to try to get caught up on sleep and stuff before I jump into the challenge.

• Like 2

Zero week update!

Catching up on sleep is going less well than hoped.  Haven't caught up on anything else yet, either.  And I just realized that I need to respond to my traffic ticket by Monday, which means I may be too late to put it in the mail, so this'll be interesting.

I have my first game with the new league tomorrow.  I didn't make it to scrimmage on Monday because I was sick, or practice on Wednesday because Husband was sick, so I went to the Thursday practice, which I haven't done before.  Turns out, that's the B-team (the good skaters) practice, though others are welcome to drop in.  I was slightly late, so jumped into the middle of warm ups.  Between going from zero to 60, because they were already like halfway done when I joined, and wheels that were too slippery for the surface, I ended up with really bad cramps in my shins at the end of warm up.  Then we did a little bit of a blocking drill then jumped into practicing a game-play strategy.  And, because I am jamming on Saturday, I got to jam all practice.  Which pretty much turned into me repeatedly running into one of the strongest walls the league has.  I didn't stop trying, though.  Almost threw up a couple times, had to sit out for a little bit because I tweaked my ankle, and at a couple points was almost crying because I was scraping the bottom of the barrel for energy (that was a new one).  I learned a bit, including remembering that I actually knew how to do a few things besides just try to push straight through them (pro tip: that doesn't work), actually pulled off a jukey move (I was so surprised it worked I almost fell over because I was prepared to slam into a person and that didn't happen - hearing the coach cheer for me when I did it was pretty great), and by the end of the evening somehow actually made it through the pack to get lead, and got a scoring pass in!  Oh year, and shark week started just before I had to run to practice, so I had cramps to deal with on top of all that.  And the battery in my watch died about halfway through practice, so I didn't get credit for all of it. :'(

I'm told tomorrow will be easier.  We'll see.

I kind of hope so, because I've already found 3 injuries from last night I didn't know I had (2 bruises and a scrape) on top of the still-sore butt from last week, and I'd prefer to not collect more...until these all heal. :)

I had a giant donut for breakfast, but I made up for it with a healthy lunch.  Moderation, right? :)

• Like 3

Wow, grats on coming out ahead despite a lot of things trying to keep you down. And yay for the coach recognizing your wins, that's a great feeling. Hope the weekend was more restful, and hopefully fun, too. 

Well, I ended up doing absolutely no catching up on sleep or anything else during zero week.  I'm honestly not sure where the time went.  All done screwing around, though.  It's challenge time!

The game on Saturday was fun.  We had 4 jammers, so pretty much every 4th jam I was skating.  I did manage to get lead a couple times, and even scored some points!  Got 2 penalties, because I apparently didn't manage to quite stay in-bounds while trying to run past blockers on the line.  I was pretty dang tired by the end of the game, but I did better than I thought I would.  We got annihilated, something like 170 to 65, because apparently they somehow missed the memo that this was a C-team game so they showed up with their B-team plus a few C-team skaters.  It sounds like there may have been some drama related to past games and why who showed up did, but I don't know any of that so I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt.  It was, at least, easier than practice on Thursday, but not by much!  Very glad I had that practice, though, or I think Saturday wouldn't have gone quite as well for me.

• Like 3

Week 1 Day 1

Didn't go to plan.  I did manage to get 8 hours of sleep (barely) and hit my step goal, but that was about it for things going right.  Had to go to the court house to turn in things to deal with the traffic ticket, which I did on my lunch, and between that and getting food, it took an hour and a half.  Ended up grabbing McDonald's for lunch, and because I took such a long lunch I left work shortly before I would have needed to leave home to get to practice.  So, I didn't go to practice.  Dinner was ok, until I ate almost an entire box of crackers.  Oops.  Wish I had gotten to bed earlier, but at least I wasn't late.

I'll do better today!

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

Went a bit better.  I did all the things!  Well, I didn't go to the gym, but I did everything else.  The videos for the yoga thing I'm doing are shorter than I remembered them being, so fitting stuff in on practice days may be easier than I thought.  We'll see.

Husband had a dentist appointment to get several fillings, which I had to take him to because they were giving him a sedative to deal with his being nervous.  Which meant the boys and I were stuck waiting for like 2.5 hours.  We took a walk for part of that time, so that was nice.  They were very well behaved, which is nice and also surprising.  The little boys went to bed on time (for once), and Husband went to bed early, so I ended up with like 2 hours to myself before I had to go to bed.  So that was really nice, even though I had to spend part of the time making lunches.  Made doing the things easier.  I almost went to the gym, but it was too late by the time I realized that I could have.

Oh yeah, and our internet stopped working last night.  An hour plus phone call later, it turns out they screwed something up when we moved and our modem didn't get set right so 4 and a half months later it decided to stop working.  I'm a bit concerned they merged our account with either the people who used to live in our house, or the people who moved into the apartment we moved out of.  I can't log in to my account, either online or through their app, which is not great, because I had autopay set up and I can't see it now.  Which is extra not great, because they are making us start a completely new account.  So, I have no way to view or cancel that payment, and I have no idea who's internet we've been paying for, because it sounds like maybe not ours.  Husband is off to get a new modem today, and hopefully get the billing issue straightened out as well.  We had issues with this company pretty much from go, but they are the only option for internet, unless we wanted to go with a mobile hotspot from a cellphone company, which will probably cost a lot more.  I hate regional monopolies!

• Like 1

Yay for a better day, despite the dentist wait and internet issues. Is the autopay something you can warn the bank to cut off before it happens again? Agreed that regional monopolies are problematic, and internet companies seem to be the worst. Still, glad to hear you had some free time and hopefully some nice sleep afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Is the autopay something you can warn the bank to cut off before it happens again? Agreed that regional monopolies are problematic, and internet companies seem to be the worst.

54 minutes ago, raptron said:

ISPs continue to be the worst.

They said they completely cancelled the old account, so theoretically the payment should be stopped.  I will definitely be keeping an eye on it, though, because I don't trust them.

Day 3!  Went pretty well.  Probably could have done better with my food, but I wrote it all down, so I've got a record of it at least.  They've switched Wednesday practice to start a 1/2 hour earlier, which I love and hate.  Hate, because it's a bit harder to make it on time.  Love, because it's earlier so I have more time when I get home.  In fact, I managed to shower, do my yoga, get the rest of my steps, and drink a protein shake (not in that order) AND get to bed on time after I got home from practice!

Technically I got 8 hours of sleep, but it wasn't very good sleep.  It felt like it took forever to fall asleep, and then I kept waking up (including once from REALLY loud thunder).  We are getting a giant rainstorm today.  So. Much. Rain.  It took half an hour to get Little Bug to school this morning (normally 15 - 20 minutes).  Luckily, the school was being lenient on arrival time this morning due to the weathers, so despite arriving almost 10 minutes late he wasn't marked tardy.  I guess some of the area lost power as well, because they called to say school was still on.

• Like 1

Day 4!

Was Valentine's Day, so I kind of ate terrible.  Dinner was relatively healthy, but everything else, we won't talk about.

Got my step goal, but ended up half an hour short on sleep and didn't do any other exercise.  Meh.  As long as it's only one day, it's not a big deal.  I just need to make sure I stop saying that so much, because that's how it ends up being not only one day. :)

I also filled out the registration form for the tournament yesterday, at the coach's direction, so I guess I'm going!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:30 AM, raptron said:

Wooo, tourney! When is that?

It's in mid-April.  I am equal parts excited and terrified.

Let's see...I am missing updates for days 5-7.  Did ok on my sleep (my watch says I got 8+ hours every night, but I'm not sure if that's right or if it was just not particularly restful sleep), did ok on eating, met my step goal every day, and did some extra exercise on Saturday.  Got called in to work suddenly on Saturday, while Husband was off doing things, so it was just me and the boys.  Retrieving my computer from my desk was fun, because I think technically I'm not supposed to have the boys in the office, but no one saw us so it wasn't a problem.  Got an hour of overtime, which is nice.

I've decided that I'm going to try again to eat paleo.  I started trying over the weekend, and have had moderate success with no planning.  We really need to go grocery shopping, so I am going to try to plan stuff for lunches and dinners so it's not too much of a challenge to eat that way.

I failed to make it to the gym, because when I had time I had zero energy.  I need to figure out how to work around that.  Or just make myself go anyway.  I did do some exercises at the playground on Saturday, so the weekend wasn't a total bust in that regard.  I can and will do better, though.

• Like 1

Week 2 day 1!

Did pretty good on my goals.  Ate more M&Ms than I wanted, but I was hungry and there weren't good options available.  Got 7.5 hours of sleep, because I was soaking my back in an epsom salt bath - someone fell on me wrong at scrimmage and I tweaked something. :( Did meet my step goal.

Also purchased food for today, and my desk is now stocked with healthy snacks.  Still working on the paleo thing, but at least I'm avoiding junk!

• Like 2

Week 2 day 2

Went alright.  Did not bad on food, and got my steps in.  A bit short on sleep again, and no "other" exercise, but did go watch footage of the bout with my team.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, Elennare said:

I've decided that I'm going to try again to eat paleo.  I started trying over the weekend, and have had moderate success with no planning.  We really need to go grocery shopping, so I am going to try to plan stuff for lunches and dinners so it's not too much of a challenge to eat that way.

Is that just because it played nicely with your stomach, or for other reasons? Nice to hear you did well without planning it, that's a good sign. 

12 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Is that just because it played nicely with your stomach, or for other reasons? Nice to hear you did well without planning it, that's a good sign. 

When I can actually stick to it, I feel a bit better, and it's the only thing I've tried that really resulted in fat loss. That said, I'm fairly sure both are the result of eating lots more vegetables and not eating empty carbs. But, it's a useful framework for me, if nothing else. :)

Yesterday I didn't make it to practice, but I met my step goal. Didn't make it to the gym because I started feeling like I was getting sick and decided sleep was the better option. Since I still feel like I'm fighting off a cold and my nose won't stop running this morning, I'm thinking I made the right choice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elennare said:

When I can actually stick to it, I feel a bit better, and it's the only thing I've tried that really resulted in fat loss.

Hey, if it works, it works... Biggest reason I eat as much home-made "real" food as I do is because my stomach hurt if I don't. Just happens that it's also healthier. Hope you get to feeling better soon. 

Not much to report from yesterday.  Ate fairly well, met my step goal (more on that shortly), and ended up going to bed way late so only 7 hours of sleep.

The staying up late is connected to meeting my step goal, but not really in the way you'd expect.  When I got home from work, I was just a tad over 2k away from my goal for the day, and I hadn't really gone out of my way to get lots of steps, it just happened, so that was awesome.  Also yesterday, they finally added Spotify support for my watch, so I was super excited about being able to put my Spotify playlists on my watch.  After dinner (which was late, because I got home on the late side and then cooked), I downloaded the app to my watch and started trying to put music on it.  It wouldn't actually download anything.  Annoying.  Then it was time to get the boys ready for bed, so I did that, then went back to messing with my watch.  I remembered that someone on the forum said their's wouldn't work until after they rebooted that, so I gave that a shot.  It turned off normally, but then would only show a blank, black screen when I tried to turn it back on!  The only reason I knew it was turned on was because the screen was lighting up.

So, I did a hard reset, because that was pretty much the only option I had at that point.  It worked, in that it got the watch working again.  And it also would download Spotify songs.  But, in the process, it completely wiped out my data for the day.  And because of the way the software works, any steps accumulated on the watch don't count until they match/pass what was already synced to the server.  Luckily (?) I had synced the 7,400 or so steps I had gotten earlier in the day, but now it was getting close to bedtime and I had zero steps.  I've now figured out a fairly easy way to fake steps on my watch.  I didn't cheat, I just "fixed" the data and then got the rest of my steps the real way.  It just got super late while I was doing all of that. :(

But, I have a victory to report from this morning!  Husband and Little Bug are getting donuts for breakfast today, because it's the last day of Little Bug's break from school (mid-winter break, I guess?) and that's what he wanted to do with his dad.  Man did donuts sound good.  And then while I was working on waking up, I read an article in the newspaper about the new donut sticks at McDonalds, which said they were really good.  And then I went to the grocery store on my way to work and grabbed a yogurt to have for breakfast.  Got into the office to find out my manager has brought in some sort of chocolate desert (I've actually never heard of whatever it is) AND someone else brought in donuts!  I ate my yogurt and none of the other stuff. :)

• Like 1

Had a pretty good weekend.  Mostly on top of my food, step goal met all 3 days since my last update, got enough sleep (even if I didn't catch up on my sleep like hoped for), and I did a pilates video on Saturday and Sunday.  We also went on an adventure on Saturday.  First to the aquarium, where Little One got to pet some sharks (he's super into sharks right now, so this pretty much made his year!), then we went to the beach, where the boys insisted on swimming despite it being only like 60 outside and the water was super cold.  They lasted about 15 minutes. :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 12:30 PM, Elennare said:

But, I have a victory to report from this morning!  Husband and Little Bug are getting donuts for breakfast today, because it's the last day of Little Bug's break from school (mid-winter break, I guess?) and that's what he wanted to do with his dad.  Man did donuts sound good.  And then while I was working on waking up, I read an article in the newspaper about the new donut sticks at McDonalds, which said they were really good.  And then I went to the grocery store on my way to work and grabbed a yogurt to have for breakfast.  Got into the office to find out my manager has brought in some sort of chocolate desert (I've actually never heard of whatever it is) AND someone else brought in donuts!  I ate my yogurt and none of the other stuff. :)

you_are_amazing_kitty_cat_sticker_set-r5

Glad to hear the weekend was decent; sleep is so tough to get right. I'll think I'm doing ok for a while then nothing will change and I'll sleep awfully for a few days. Nice work on resisting temptation though. 

• Like 1