• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SeekingCassandra

SeekingCassandra - The Seekers failed . . .

So!

Last challenge was an AWFUL failure. But, one must learn from failures.

• Failure: Somewhere between week 2 and 3 I start slacking on meal prepping, which escalates into not following meal plan/eating on the fly, which escalates into eating everything I don't want to be eating.
  • Cause: General laziness and scheduling hiccups interrupting my prep days over the weekends, and not wanting to lose the time I could be with my family to a mountain of meats and veggies
  • Solution for this upcoming challenge:  Do one GIANT-SLICE-DICE-PREP-AND-FREEZE-ALL-THE-THINGS prep day during this "off week" for the entire month of the challenge.
  • Hypothesized outcome:  If I plan and prep carefully, I can have the bulk of all dinners ready to go, with a few "back-up" and "fail-safe" options that I can sub in should something go wrong. Also if done correctly, could possibly save a schlode of money. Also will give me extra veg on hand that I can bust out the Baby Bullet and try my hand at pureeing once the Red Panda get the ok to start trying some "solids" this week.

• Failure: Somewhere by the end of .... eh, honestly, week 1, I hadn't gotten ANY of my steps or exercises in
  • Cause: As much as getting up every hour to walk during the work day is good for both getting steps in and making sure I don't turn into an overgrown human question mark from hunching at my desk all day, some days it is nearly impossible to get away from my desk for even the 3 minutes it takes to get my steps in. Like, "hey, sorry CFO of the company, let me just dip out of this meeting so I can quickly perambulate aimlessly around the warehouse for 3 minutes". . . .
  • Solution for this upcoming challenge: No two ways about it, I have to put on my big girl pantaloons and just wake up in the mornings to work out. And if I don't manage that, I need to work out over my lunch breaks, sweat and not-likely-so-but-these-are-the-things-I-worry-about  judgement voyeuristic warehouse crew be damned. I need to stop making excuses and just. Deal. With. It. Cause, lets be honest, it is just not happening in the evenings.
  • Hypothesized Outcome: Might actually start seeing some tangible and consistent changes. But besides that, speaking from experience, I will start having more energy and will sleep better (though, fully expecting that those results will vary, considering y'know . . . teething 6-month old). If I can start getting up in the mornings, I can also help make sure all the morning chores and prep are done. Maybe have time for an actual full shower. Have a relaxed cup of tea in addition to the one I have at work.
  • Required to make this happen: Always have tabs on where work out gear is. Maybe invest in second set of work out gear and some shower wipes to have in a gym bag I keep at work

• Failure:  While some of my "streak" challenges I knocked out of the park (daily Duolingo lesson, read a book and do prayers with the Red Panda before bed, spend at least 10 minutes reading on my own), they were all easy to fold into existing habits. The one that I needed to do, to start building as habit, was to clean something every day. And that started failing, you guessed it, somewhere between the end of week 1 and middle of week 2.
  • Cause: I love how everything looks when I clean something every day. I love how productive and how not-guilty I feel about leaving my house a wreck and letting everyone else do all the work. But fact of the matter is, I actually HATE to clean. If I didn't look so much like her side of the family, I would be convinced my compulsively tidy Mother adopted me. Also, I hate how much time it takes out the few hours I have in the evenings to spend with the Fox and the baby.
  • Solution for this upcoming challenge: I am going to try the daily cleaning schedule thing one more time, and really just try to bully my way through it. It's an excellent idea, and a habit I really would like to get into. But I am setting a timer on it, that I shouldn't spend more then 10 minutes (depending on the task) doing the day's assignment. The idea is a quick spot-clean. Not every time through needs to be a deep clean. Keep it somewhat tidy, and then deep clean on

I am still sorting out what I want my *actual* challenge goals and loots to be. I am toying with the idea of changing up both the challenge and the loot systems I have been following. For the challenges, I think I don't want large, over-sweeping challenges, but rather, a list of tasks each day that I have to complete. And then, for loot, instead of one large-ish individual reward for each category of challenge, instead do a dollar for loot banked for every completed task in a day.That way I am not discouraged once I have missed a few days of one thing that it means i am not getting loot any more, but the more I do, the more I am rewarded.

In that spirit, I am setting some very specific tasks to accomplish this week, with deadlines, to help me prep and be ready for when the challenge actually starts next week.

• Upgrade Batcave: dust off stationary bike and either bring upstairs or move in the basement so it is usable. DUE BY: 2/6 EOD
  • Upgrade Batcave: Ask Fox AGAIN to hook up old 360 kinnect so I can start doing my tai chi and dance fitness games again. Don't stop asking until it's done. DUE BY: 2/10
  • 20SOC: Go to first "Hit things with swords and other historical nerdery" meeting DUE BY: 2/6
  • Food prep: have meal plan completed and printed DUE BY: no later then EOB 2/7
  • Food prep: have grocery order completed and submitted, scheduling delivery that I have all weekend to do food prep, so I am not scrambling last minute Sunday night DUE BY: grocery list submitted by 5:30pm 2/8m for delivery no later then 10am 2/9
  • Food prep: have whole month of basic food prep done, cooled and stored DUE BY: 9pm 2/10
  • Exercise: go scope out the work out area in the warehouse, so I can plan on how to use it DUE BY: the end of lunch today (ie, in 10 minutes)

Anyone, feel free to come nag me to make sure I am hitting my deadlines.  . .

• Like 2

Hey there Cassandra,

I've finally found my way over here!

How is your Prep going?

And even more so I'm quite curious if you went to tat sword-thing and how it was?

Me both suffer from midchallenge momentum, might as well try to keep each other accountable of you are up for it?

Anyway good luck for your goals your way of doing things sounds quite intriguing especially with all those reflections on the last time.

Implementing a NEW habit is hard, don't get dishartened just because you don't see it happe immediately.

This kind of stuff can become second nature if youz keep picking up the ball.

Looking forward to hear about how you are doing

Casbin

On 2/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, Casbin said:

Hey there Cassandra,

I've finally found my way over here!

How is your Prep going?

And even more so I'm quite curious if you went to tat sword-thing and how it was?

Me both suffer from midchallenge momentum, might as well try to keep each other accountable of you are up for it?

Anyway good luck for your goals your way of doing things sounds quite intriguing especially with all those reflections on the last time.

Implementing a NEW habit is hard, don't get dishartened just because you don't see it happe immediately.

This kind of stuff can become second nature if youz keep picking up the ball.

Looking forward to hear about how you are doing

Casbin

Hey there!

Sword thing was great - I will Definitely going back this week.

Prep over-all went ok - not 100% but I hit the major points. I have about 15 meals in the freezer now, not counting my breakfasts and lunches, or pureed vegetables for the Red Panda. I seem to be going into this challenge a little more cautiously, but I am hoping the slower start will mean I can build up momentum, rather then burn out! I am all for agreeing to keep each other accountable.

So, while my daily to-do lists have about a million things on them, I think I want top have a few each day that I particularly focus on.

Today's main goals:

• hit caloric deficit
  • exercise of some variety over lunch break, even if just walking
  • finish readying house before Priest comes for house blessing

I love how you have broken down each goal that didn't work out last time, figured out why, and then come up with a solution for this time.

Do you have a reward in place for you goals? Not a big end-of-challenge reward, but just a little one for completing the task successfully each day? Just congratulating yourself and telling yourself that go you, you'll have so much energy after your walk, for example, might help motivate you to do it when you are flagging.

6 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I love how you have broken down each goal that didn't work out last time, figured out why, and then come up with a solution for this time.

Do you have a reward in place for you goals? Not a big end-of-challenge reward, but just a little one for completing the task successfully each day? Just congratulating yourself and telling yourself that go you, you'll have so much energy after your walk, for example, might help motivate you to do it when you are flagging.

Thanks! breaking it down to try and correct it is one of the only things that is keeping me from just getting discouraged by the failure. I am forcing myself to look at it as a learning opportunity.

Right now, my reward system is $1 earned for whatever loot for every task completed. I need to revisit that a bit though, as I earned $10 on Monday, and that seems like an excessive daily amount earned and yet still didn't do any of the "big" items like work out or hit my calorie goal. I just filled my to do list with little, easy things. Things I need to do and make habits of, etc, but not things that I really need to include in the challenge I think.

So I think I am going to pare it down. My challenge is still to do everything on my daily to-do lists, but I only get gold for loot for specific outlined items each day. Maybe pick 5 items off the list a day that earn me loot gold. And maybe negative amount for any unfinished task.

Maybe I should have had this all figured out before the challenge started, but I like letting it grow organically. In the past, I set myself challenge rules and parameters, only to find them not functional, so letting them adapt, at leas tthis time through I think will be good.

This challenge is for sure a learning process.  . .

1 hour ago, SeekingCassandra said:

Maybe I should have had this all figured out before the challenge started, but I like letting it grow organically. In the past, I set myself challenge rules and parameters, only to find them not functional, so letting them adapt, at leas tthis time through I think will be good.

I think this is a good way to look at it.

Realising what works for you is a process anyway and being ok with adapting midway helps a lot.

Did you consider putting up a set amount for the whole ToDo-List rather then specified items?

OK, soooooo . . .

Sorry I have not been very active here. I think I hit my usual mid-challenge slump at the beginning of the challenge. That's the downside. The upside is, I feel like I am going to hit the last 2 weeks with my normal early-challenge vigor.

A few things went very right so far, the last 2 weeks.

- My having meal prepped for the bulk of the month has been great.  Not having to worry about what is for dinner any given night has been a huge burden off of me. It also makes weekly grocery shipping so much easier. If I forget a few things in the odds and ends I still have to get every week, it doesn't derail the entire week's meal plans. Now, that doesn't mean that I am eating 100% well - I am falling into the snacking and second helping traps again. But if I can get myself into keeping a meal plan, I can use that structure to start cycling in better content choices.

-Oddly enough, not putting a "you must work out x amount of times per week" challenge on myself has relieved the stress that I am at least doing more then nothing. A few days last week, I walked laps around the warehouse for 30 minutes over my lunch break.

In general though, I have been pretty rubbish at marking off my checklists. But, I think Saturday was a turning point.

Fox and I have been dancing circles around our stress recently, and without realizing it have been butting heads in our stubborn efforts to just manage everything on our own, both trying to take on everything by our selves, and we were finally talked it all through on Saturday, and it was amazing. I love having someone that I can solve problems with, and not fight, or passive agress all over the place. I realized that I was killing myself trying to do ALL THE THINGS to try and eliminate all the burden on him, but in the process was neglecting the few small things he really needed me to do to help him out. He realized that just not saying anything and trying to bully through doing everything was freaking me out, and that I am actually here to help. I asked him for help on being accountable to work out regularly - and he is more then 100% on board. We are planning on experimenting with some chore charts so neither one of us is stuck doing all the house work. All in all, it was an amazing chance to reorient ourselves and reset our teamwork.

And, in the course of the conversation, I finally voiced a self-realization that has been whispering at the back of my mind for a few weeks now. I probably have an un-diagnosed case of ADD, and probably have been that way my whole life. Just certain habits, trends and behaviours really stand out to me. I voiced it, he confirmed that he has often wondered the same. It's clearly not too serious - or I have been able to moderate it tolerably well. But acknowledging it means I can start reading and learning new and maybe better coping mechanisms. 

So - onwards to weeks 3 and 4, with renewed gusto and further realization of what DOESN'T work . . .

Good to hear from you again!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, SeekingCassandra said:

My having meal prepped for the bulk of the month has been great.  Not having to worry about what is for dinner any given night has been a huge burden off of me. It also makes weekly grocery shipping so much easier. If I forget a few things in the odds and ends I still have to get every week, it doesn't derail the entire week's meal plans.

This is great news - meal planning takes sooo much stress out of everyday life.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, SeekingCassandra said:

finally voiced a self-realization that has been whispering at the back of my mind for a few weeks now. I probably have an un-diagnosed case of ADD, and probably have been that way my whole life. Just certain habits, trends and behaviours really stand out to me. I voiced it, he confirmed that he has often wondered the same. It's clearly not too serious - or I have been able to moderate it tolerably well. But acknowledging it means I can start reading and learning new and maybe better coping mechanisms.  

This is also good. I hope your reading will help you see the gifts that your ADD gives you as well as how to cope with the difficult parts of it.