JessFit Aims for Consistency

JessFit

Week 2 has been a struggle for me, I'm wayyyyyy off on my macros, and I haven't worked out at all. I've worked a lot, and been pretty exhausted. I had a mini-existential crisis last night and went from my normal light-brown hair to red, really red. It is a 30 day color, and I'm desperately in need of some color in my life right now. Mother Nature seems stuck in monochromatic gray.

I'm deceasing to focus on long term goals that my short term goals will be steps toward in an attempt to get back on track after this week. I can still play catch-up this weekend, but I need to focus! These are probably more medium-term goals than long term goals, but they're where I'm at right now. The other evening I weighed in at 168. This morning I was 163. Those could be standard fluctuations based on time of day and hormones, but one of my long term goals is to get and stay under 160. This is far more because of my family's medical history than anything, I want to live as active and healthy a life as possible for as long as possible. Long term goal 2 is a 200# squat for reps and a 100# bench for reps. I'm not too far off, but the area between where I'm at and where I want to be tends to always be sticky for me. I can't get to where I want to be without actually getting up and going after my challenge goals! This weekend I will go get my challenge goals and take those steps closer to my longer term goals. 

Goal 1: Lift the things! 3/8

Goal 2: Get 7 hours of sleep at least 5 nights a week  7/20 

Goal 3: 2 cardio sessions and 1 yoga session a week.  4/12

Goal 4: Hit my macros 4 days a week! 4/16

•  
  • Like 1

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I was struggling with everything but sleep last week. I went to the gym on Friday and it was packed, so I didn't get in much of a workout. I did some kettlebell on Saturday and promised myself another round of cardio and some yoga after my Sunday lift. Well, I woke up on Sunday, stretched up, heard a pop, and oh my lord did I feel it! I'm pretty sure my right rhomboid is now down for the count for a while :( I managed to go to the gym and do some super light deadlifts without any pain at all, but I didn't feel comfortable trying much else. I'm so sad, I was finally getting back to reasonable strength and into the groove. I suppose this is life and I just have to deal, but I'm less than thrilled. 

Goal 1: Lift the things! 5/8

Goal 2: Get 7 hours of sleep at least 5 nights a week  10/20 

Goal 3: 2 cardio sessions and 1 yoga session a week.  5/12

Goal 4: Hit my macros 4 days a week! 4/16

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

so you hurt back?  I'm a little rusty on anatomy- but I think rhromboids are in the muscles in your back that brace up your shoulder.

anyways, you seem like you in thick of it!  but I love your fighting spirit.

if you can't seem to get to your goals... well, welcome to the rangers!  we are all pretty much badd*ss's that strive for impossibly hard goals.

now you might retort, my goal doesn't seem SO high.  but it eludes you- it challenges you. its not easy to get there, do it in a minute kind of thing.

sum up; its an hard goal that can and Will be beaten but will take some general heroic effort to do it.

anyways, if the muscle strain is serious than yeah , you've got to back off a bit.

Last year I had something similar.  I will working hard towards my hiking goals and hadn't quit my running program.  the 2 clashed and as my hiking became more important I overdid it on my shins.  I was smart enough to recognize shin splints early- ease off for a week, skip running and not lose too much hiking conditioning.

hopefully you caught the strain early but maybe more important is trying to figure out why it happened.

googling says this is caused by overusing your shoulders/arms.  the webs recommendation is to switch to exercises that don't use this muscle so much. 

https://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_rhomboid_muscle_strain/

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

@TGPYep, the upper right side of my back, between my spine and shoulder blade. I'm feeling a bit better today, but don't have full range of motion yet. I'm going to try to do more light deadlifts tonight, and see where I'm at. As for the sleeping and eating goals, LOL! Well, I'll try again tomorrow. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Hello all! Checking in. I've lost track of where I'm at in this challenge, oops! I'm going to scrap the tracking and just update for where I'm at until this challenge wraps up. What week are we even on? 

I lifted last Friday, and this past Monday. Nothing incredible, peeved at how much strength I lost by taking time off for that silly shoulder injury. Sleep has been erratic. Today is day 1 on the Renaissance Periodization Diet for me. I've had the templates for ages but I finally downloaded the app, I think the app makes it significantly easier for me to follow along with. I'm already aware of some trips and a minor oral surgery where I will have to deviate for at least a few days. I hate that, but I'm hoping this goes well and I have the willpower to stick with it. Motivation is waning right now because my lifts haven't made much progress and my diet and sleep are a mess. Still, I've got to focus on the long run, this is a marathon, not a sprint. 

Current Challenge

Battle Log

how is the shoulder injury though?

do you feel that your on the other side of that(now)

never underestimate the joy in doing MORE...

if motivation seems dragging, try to sort it out some- why?

---

I know for myself, I can stuck in a feeling of guilt espacially if I have set high goals, just as I start to drift away from making exercise a priority in life....

that can be hard, yes, but see High goals as well, too high, sometimes we get overenthusiastic or even try to compensate for our flagging motivation by telling ourselves tall tales of how 40hours of exercise a week would turn everything around...

well. before you get 40hours a week figured out; you've got to a have a solid 10hours/week FIRST.  and those first smaller goals are Really important.

they are SO important because they are practical. 

SOME is so much better than NONE, and makes such a big difference!  no matter where you are... if you can just get a little time in - life is SO much better.

So let us know how we can HELP!

and I Utterly agree with you that you need to see this as a long time; Marathon kind of effort.  You can do it!

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

@TGP I think I'm on the other side of the shoulder injury. I want to smash this plateau in my lifting though. I think that getting hurt and then stuck is part of my lack of motivation. I also know the weather has a huge impact. Here is to springing ahead! 

I'm on day 2 of RP and its fairly easy to follow. The food isn't super exciting, but oh well. The hardest part for me yesterday was eating on schedule. We shall see how the rest of the week goes. I think I can make it to March 16 before I have to deviate. I like the app, it seems easier for me to understand and apply than the templates. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Lifted last night, also cuddled some gym doggos. It makes lifting so much better when you get to superset bench with tummy rubs. Worked up to 85x3x5 on bench and 185x1x5 on deadlifts. 

Day 3 of RP, I almost forgot I was doing RP last night! I had a bag of jelly beans in my hand... nope. Put that back. Not snacking has been the hardest thing, I LOVE snacks. I'm more comfortable in my body than I've ever been before, but I'm also aware that for health reasons, I should drop a bit. It is an odd place to be in, because the intrinsic motivation for sticking to this eating plan isn't always there. Thankfully I'm stubborn. 

IMG_7418.jpg

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Day 6 of RP. My lift last night was a struggle. Then I didn't sleep well. Also, I'm tired all the time and feel like crap. Problem is, it could just as easily be hormones as it is adjustment to the diet. Today I realized that I've lost over 2lbs after 5 days. Yay that the diet is doing what it is supposed to, but tbh I'd prefer a slightly slower weight loss and then maybe feeling less crappy, provided feeling crappy is due to the diet. I desperately miss pizza and chicken wings, but it is worth it to hit my goals and be healthier. 

Gym last night ended with a 165 squat and a 60lb shoulder press. Not awful, but getting those numbers was a struggle, and my accessory work felt way heavier than it was. 

This challenge is wrapping up and I would say that I've done moderately well. Stuck fairly close to my goals and I feel good about them going in to the next challenge. I've learned a lot about my eating habits the past two challenges particularly, including that I've got to really be strict with myself or I snack on way too many calories without even realizing. That will be a focus in the next challenge. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log