• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Chemgeek rests in Valinor

Sooooo.... Last month sucked. And this month starts out with a brand new injury. Not going to get much done on the physical side for a few weeks so... Time to rest and recover. Which is the point of this challenge.

I will:

1. NOT push my injury. 

2. Let myself relax. 

3. Go to bed by 10 on weekdays, midnight on weekends. 

4. When leg allows, start physio and do the physio exercises appropriately.

• Like 1

Life challenges are totally valid and absolutely welcome.

In lieu of my usual enthusiasm, feel free to relax and chill on out. :D

Leg update: nasty pull with bonus muscle spasms, not tear. Good news is that I will likely recover in 2 weeks or so. Bad news is I am not allowed back to activity stronger than walking until physio clears me. 

Other good news is that the doctor gave me muscle relaxants for bedtime to try to stop the muscles from spasming so much and I had my first good sleep since the injury. I have been told to tough it out a bit for walking and stretching to keep range of motion so no more crutches for me. Relieved. 

• Like 2

I am starting to get to that dangerous area of injury recovery where I am starting to get comfortable enough to believe (falsely) that I am ready to do things. I am used to toughing out things with asthma and my wrists and ankles and etc and that's a bad habit when it's an injury and not a chronic condition that will improve if I push myself.

I have therefore stopped all pain stuff. Why? Because if I am too comfortable, I will do the thing without thinking, and then reinjury. Today is gonna hurt but hurt is good if it keeps me from doing the dumb thing.

Hilariously, all the jock types at work are right with me on that move and the non jock types are all "?????!!! Why?!"

I wonder if there is something about being a sports/activity type that inherently makes you more prone to too much, too soon.

• Like 1

I think you are right on that. Plus the active people are used to getting happy brain chemicals from exercising. They feel the lack of those and want to move NOW.

Maybe you could find some upper body routines that would give you something to keep active without using your legs.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:31 PM, chemgeek said:

I will:

1. NOT push my injury. 

2. Let myself relax. 

Feel free to drop tips on how to accomplish these.  Inquiring minds want to know...

Today's meal plan:

Breakfast

15g chia seeds

15g hemp hearts

1 cup milk

Banana

400IU vitamin D supplement (I wear sunscreen all the time and live in a Northern climate so was advised to supplement a bit)

Snack

Salad with mixed berries, cheese, onion and carrot

Lunch

Home made sweet potato and chicken curry

Snack

Cashews (1/2 serving) and carrots

Supper

Seitan stir fry with udon noodles

Note: taking advantage of the principle that people generally eat about the same volume of food every day and therefore if you want to cut without feeling hungry, it is better to substitute low calorie foods than to cut back on volume. I don't want to gain while nursing the leg so this food plan represents a cut of about 300cal from my normal daily intake.

Last night I got in bed on time and wound up sleeping late anyway. Because winter.

I am thinking of buying a gadget that turns on a light when my alarm goes off because I am starting to realize that I don't wake up unless and until I see light. I'll just keep hitting snooze until after dawn. Living in Canada, that makes me late to a lot of things during the winter and quite an early bird in the summer. (Dawn in summer here is like 5:00 AM and in winter is around 7:30 AM ... my brain wants consistently to wake up 30min after dawn).

Fighting this tendency is a Sisyphean task. Maybe I can make it work for me instead?

One thing I am planning to add to the challenge: I am going to try bullet journaling. Reason being that it seems like the creator of that system was in my head when he invented it and therefore it could make for an organization system I am actually able to keep up with. 

• Like 1

This sounds already like it could be the kind of challenge where you learn more about yourself, and if so you'll come out with all kinds of insights that make future work way easier, more beneficial, more exciting. That's what makes Life Challenges so awesome. I hope the light and the journal turn out to be twosuch.

So... Sunday will be 2 weeks and I am painless with stretching, walking, and routine activities of daily living. Mild pain occurs when I slip on ice and have to do the Iceslip Tango to avoid falling. I was told to stay off for 2 weeks, and I will (really really tempted to go to class today because I am craving that sweet, sweet endorphin rush from exercise but suckage now gives lasting recovery later so I am not giving in). Which means Monday I am going to go for a light, short jog at the track and if that feels ok I will return to martial arts Tuesday and hockey a week from Sunday. 

Innn the meantime I have a trip tomorrow and intend to use the flight and/or airport downtime to set up a bullet journal. 

• Like 4

F)&+& pickpockets man. On the upside, I know that my"paranoid" tendency to bring my passport just in case isn't so paranoid cus this way I can get home but all the admin fallout rn. Also I managed to cancel my cards before it was used. So ultimately very little harm or foul.  Just a massive pain in the arse.

Also because pickpocket I had no food for 24 hours and was hangry. May every pickpocket in the world step only on Legos. Barefoot.

• Sad 2

Oh no, that sounds horribly frustrating. Good thing you had your passport. No good at all on the 24 hour involuntary fast. 

A friend of mine lost someone to status epilepticus recently. Because I am impulsive and pledged races are how I know to raise funds for things I agreed to run a 10K in May and a half in September. Half. Marathon. September. Did I mention half marathon? *Internal screaming intensifies*

So. That's a thing. On the upside, I know what my fitness goals are for the next 6mo. Exercise schedule coming this weekend.

• Like 2

SO MUCH RUNNING

Looks like your work is cut out for you, then. Can't wait to see how you tackle this one!

• Like 1

With much terror and trepidation, I assure you. :P

10Ks on their own kick my behind. I am going to have to shuffle around some extracurriculars to make the time management work but I think my timeline is reasonable for what that's worth.

• Like 2

Tentative plan: 

Short training days: T/Th - shorter runs, hills/stairs and speed. Also cross training with martial arts.

M/F - intermediate runs

Sunday- long run day

Wednesday: rest

Saturday: cross training only.

Subject to change if my Wednesday game group continues to annoy me and I tell them to find a new host (not there yet but getting there).

• Like 1

Set up my BuJo yesterday. I prenumbered all the pages in it because I know from experience that I will not remember to number on the go. Ever manually number every page on a 200 page notebook? It is quite possibly the most boring half hour you will spend ever. Next notebook I will buy prenumbered.

• Like 2