• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DaemonCorax

DaemonCorax and the rowdy inmate (incubating pt. 4)

So I started writing a post yesterday evening and put it down and forgot about it. Whoops.

Yesterday evening's workout was brought to you by Snickers! I have one before climbing and one after climbing to make sure I could still stand up at the grocery store. I didn't make it to lifting at the end of the workout. Evening is stiffer and more tired than morning. I climbed 5 routes including a crack lap, and then fell off the 6th. Too tired for it.

I'm at the gym again now to get the lifting in this morning and then ride to work. More on this later.
Thanks for the cheers guys :) it's really nice.

• Like 2

indefeatable as always.  congrats.

btw, I'm glad you had a snickers, too many people refuse to take minor luxuries (like a candy bar) when their life-style is clearly acheiving all their goals. 

curious about your experience with Lifting and climbing.

yesterday was the first day that I tried to do both of them in the same day;  and it ended up being ok.  OTOH, I could imagine that heavy weight lifting COULD interfere with climbing.  so how long do you try to seperate those two activities.  have you ever tried rocking climbing just a few hours after weight lifting or vice versa?

there was probably about 10 hours between my morning wieght lifting and my evening climb.  I thnk though, even considering the fact that I finally made it up route #4, that bot the lifting and climbing was a little less intense than it sometimes is....

5 hours ago, TGP said:

curious about your experience with Lifting and climbing.

So for me it's a little different. In the past, if I had anything left in the tank after climbing at the gym, walking upstairs to lift for a few sets was just an occasional thing. I wasn't lifting with a plan. I would see where my deadlift was. But usually what drove me up there was a need for more shoulder work. I have an old tear in my left front rotator cuff somewhere, and when I don't keep my upper back strong, it gets very unstable and mad at me. So mostly this was lifting for fun after working on pull-ups after climbing.

These days the weightlifting is more structured. We started climbing in the morning instead of after work because I am too shelled for much of anything after work. (see yesterday evening.) Climbing in the morning, we only have about an hour. To get a good workout in, lifting is a great addition. MFH is finding that it is highlighting some weaknesses from HIS old shoulder injuries (both of them), that other muscle usually covers these weaknesses up. For me the lifting is something that feels good to preggo me. I can't crunch in certain directions and a lot of longer biking efforts have resulted in some spasmy ligaments above my hips. Because I have a background lifting, it's mentally rewarding AND physically "safe." So in the context of climbing for 5 pitches or so, the climbing becomes a warm up - it limbers me up, gets everything moving, but I can't haul myself up 10 routes reliably right now. Squats and deadlifts are the natural answer for me because they strengthen all the things that I need to keep my posture and balance good as the pregnancy progresses, and I enjoy them.

So I would say throwing lifting in with your climbing is a great way to target weaknesses that climbing technique can hide from you. It also just makes you a more durable human. But don't expect that if you usually climb for 2 hours to follow that up with a full lifting schedule unless you have room for it in your energy budget. I dunno. Before I was climbing and biking a lot more. Lifting gives me that happy "cooked spaghetti" feeling that a lot of people get from yoga. (And I've gotten that feeling from yoga class too, but only from certain classes.)

05-oly.jpg

Also re the Snickers: when I raced road bikes, Snickers were the magic bullet to recovering from a bonk 3/4 the way through a training ride. I was in grad school and broke. Sport-medicine-y bar do not sit with me well. But I can pull into a gas station and bring myself back from the brink of blacking out with a Snickers bar and 32 oz of Gatorade. (Although if you're carrying a candy bar in your jersey, Payday bars are better. They have no chocolate to melt.) During races I carried gummy spiders from 7/11. So the Snickers wasn't a luxury so much as a tool. I knew it would keep me rolling.

• Thanks 1

So here's an amusing comparison in the land of "healthy food" vs "junk food". Note, my body does really well with high fat foods, so maybe that explains my deep love of Snickers. And cheddar cheese. So Clif bars have more fiber and protein, but meh.

clif.jpeg      snickers.jpeg

• Like 1

I miss lifting, and I can't wait to get back to it.  Very very interesting to read about your journey into it.  :-)  Keep up the great work!

Ok. This morning's workout:

I started with some yoga poses that are supposed to be good for pregnancy. The bird dog pose in particular feels stretchy and amazing.

Then:

Barbell rows 70 3x5 - I messed up here and didn't realize the bar on the rack was 15 kg. Oops.

Push-ups 3x10 - Hands on a 4" platform. Something about the body geometry here doesn't feel right. It feels like my shoulders are too much up by my ears. I can do 4 before dropping to my knees. Need to play with belly acoomodations.

Back squat 125 3x5

Deadlift 185 x6 - I didn't mean to do 6. My grip was slipping - it was hot in there, so I was resetting in between reps so I lost count. I'll repeat 185 next workout for 5 smooth reps. The weight feels good though.

Barbell rows again 85 3x5

Monkey taps 10 per side, dead hang

Farmer carries 50 per hand for 3 walks out to the window and back.

It felt pretty good except for the grip thing. It was a combo of hand sweat and left wrist weirdness - in past years I had a cyst in this wrist from overhand grip deadlifts. Also my hands, especially my three outer fingers, have been losing circulation at night since I got pregnant. I can't figure it out and it's terrible. And weird. Next time I'm bringing my chalk bag to the weight room.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

your journey into it.  :-)

Yeah lifting was my winter sport several years in a row to give myself something to do when it was too icy to ride my bike. Then I started dating a climber. Lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What are monkey taps?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

Internet sayz:

• Like 1

Yep!

EDIT: actually I watched the video. Nope. I saw it was a Crossfit link and assumed would be right. Oops.

So what I learned is that you statically take one hand off the bar and tap your head while keep your other shoulder engaged. Do that ten times and then do the other side.

23 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know.

Internet sayz:

Cool, I've done that, but didn't know it had a name

I'm hanging in there. Yesterday was a day to rest a bit. To stay moving I walked up to campus from work (a little over a mile) to meet a good friend for coffee, and walked back. The walk was nice but .... well the ligaments that hold my belly are getting stretched a lot right now. Walking, biking, skiing all stretch them out but the repetitiveness of the motion means they knot or spasm for a couple minutes at a time. I think hiking and climbing and other things are better because while they do the same warming up of everything, I'm not pulling on those ligaments and muscles exactly the same way with every motion. I expect the next 6-8 weeks are going to be pretty brutal in the growth spurt department.

We were going to gym today, but I had a hard time getting to sleep and woke up at 2:30 and couldn't fall back asleep. I was hungry and thirsty, and my belly demon was doing backflips. MFH retrieved some cheese from the kitchen for me and I had that and some water and eventually (like an hour later) fell asleep again. No gym. We're gonna go in the morning tomorrow.

I ordered my last round ( I hope) of maternity clothes today. A pair of jeans, 1 leggings, and a long hoodie thing. I've been rolling along with 2 pairs of jeans, but one of the styles is starting to squish me. Similarly, I've been wearing non-maternity leggings as a baselayer for skiing and biking, but they're starting to leave a mark on my belly. I hate spending money for something so short term, but being about to go to work or go play outside without my clothes feeling non-work appropriate or painfully uncomfortable, or require constant tugging on won out over the extra $100. Besides, it feels like I've spent way more time and worry on sports bras in the past 7 months than I have on clothes.

Clothes:

5 tshirts and 2 tank tops from Target

2 jeans, 1 leggings, and 1 hoodie from Motherhood Maternity

8 sports bras ranging from $28-$45 from Under Armour

1 expensive pair of La Sportiva cotton pants for working out/climbing, and two pairs of slouchy pants and 2 men's sweaters from American Eagle - these I will wear not pregnant also.

I have a set of suspenders coming in the mail that I'm excited about. For $20 I think they'll let me keep wearing my shell pants to ski.

Ok. Maybe not too bad. Marie Kondo would wonder about one box on my closet shelf. It's non-maternity clothes that I put away to clear some space, but 40% of it is stuff I wasn't really crazy about to begin with. We'll see how I feel about it in June.

EDIT: Just saved $75 by returning the hoodie and leggings. I was excited about them, but the hoodie looked like a tent, and the leggings weren't heavy enough to hike in.

• Like 2

Good job getting a walk in, and good job resting up.

Maternity clothes are definitely an unavoidable evil.  The up side is you can probably sell a lot of it when you're done with it.  I think my beautiful and frugal wife made back better than half of what she had spent.

Yeah. Those top two lines are really the only things that are so maternity specific that I won't use them later. And that's about $220. I'll probably hang on to them until its clear whether I'll need them again. (Which will probably be a WHILE.)

Your wife's spot on though - there's definitely a market for second hand maternity stuff.

So this weekend was kind of a loss. MFH came down with a cold, and I've been hating life. Apparently this was a growth week. My belly felt so stretched! Which meant constant ligament spasms and lower ab tightness. My core starts off pretty chill in the morning, then later in the day my lower abs tighten up big time because everything is tired. I figured out this is why my lower right rib starts hurting - over all abdominal wall tension goes up. I think my belly demon's position moves up too. (Hence 4:30 pm heartburn.) Then when the front pulling gets to be a lot on my rib, the matching spot under my right shoulder blade hurts. I'm sleeping a little more on my side, so I'm having to find new ways to keep my three outer fingers from going numb.

Anyway, I was really apprehensive about skiing Sunday because walking to get coffee during the week had been so unpleasant. And MFH felt like death. So we stayed home and did projects, which really isn't so bad. Hormones are spiking weirdly again it seems though. And I was definitely not my nicest self (and not proud of it at all) on Saturday. Freaking out about the to do list and how unpredictable and terrible I feel. And this is a "good" pregnancy! ><

This morning, MFH still felt like death, but came with me to the gym for a little bit this morning so I could go for round two with the full body pregnancy harness. And yep. I still hate it. I'm going to keep climbing in his spare until I can't. And then who knows. That thing is the devil. Lowering is excruciating.

Mountain_Mamam_1000x.jpg?v=1543508089

Never again.

Since he was feeling low, I only climbed 3 routes, and then went upstairs to lift. But the harness debugging was the main point.

Squat 125 3x5 the first set was a little stiff but the rest was solid

Inverted rows 3x5

A couple dead hangs. Yeah 5 days off is stiff.

OHP 45 3x5

Deadlift 135 x5, 185 x5.

Remember that grip slipping thing? I still think it's sweat+fingers going numb at night. Also I'm lifting heavy enough now that some warm-up sets are good. Today I brought my mountain bike gloves (they're not padded) for traction. The 135 was cruiser. Then for 185 I went to a switch grip, the thinking here being that I can't help my fingers that much right now, but I want the rest of my body to experience the lift. 5 reps went super smooth, no problem. Small victories. Now if only I could sleep.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Goal 1 Work out 5 days a week: 

Possible points: 5 per week.

Goal 2 Master the mind and keep the stoke: 

Possible points: 7 per week. One for every day that I don't crash mentally.

Goal 3 Drink [water] like a Viking:

Possible points: 1 per day plus an extra 1/2 pt for the 3rd.

Goal 4 Be mindful of my alignment: 

Possible points: 7 per week. One for every day.

And now, for some recaps:

WEEK 1:

Monday: I was recovering from my brush with way too much dehydration while skiing. Drank all the things. Goal 3: +1

Tuesday: Climbing. Yay. Lifting. Also yay. Goal 1: +1, Goal 3: +1, Goal 2: +1

Wednesday: Grouchy day. Goal 3: +1

Thursday: Climbing+lifting, but still pretty grouchy. Goal 1: +1

Friday: Double gym again. Goal 1: +1, Goal 3: +1

Saturday: Yay hiking. Goal 1: +1, Goal 2: +1

Sunday: Skiing is getting hard too. Goal 1: +1

Week 1 Summary:

Need to track water more. I hear hormones tick back, so Goal 2 is hard to hold onto.

Goal 1: 5/5, Goal 2: 2/5, Goal 3: 4/7, Goal 4: oops

WEEK 2:

Monday: therapy. Ouch. 

Tuesday: Climbing gym, Snickers. Goal 1: +1, Goal 2: +1, Goal 3: +1

Wednesday: Lifting. Good focus on alignment, form, yoga thing. Goal 1: +1, Goal 4: +1

Thursday: Walking to campus shouldn't count as a workout, but the conversation with my ligaments and abs is getting louder, so Goal 4: +1

Friday: On less active days I'm not doing a good job w water. Bad sleep. No workout.

Saturday: Mood totally tanked. Tough convos with MFH. Ugh. Goal 3: +1

Sunday: House projects pt 2. Did do some yoga poses to move around a bit. Goal 3: +1, Goal 4: +1

Week 2 Summary

The belly demon had a growth spurt and it really made everything hurt. Bad week for my mood too. Thursday-today were rough.

Goal 1: 2/5, Goal 2: 1/7, Goal 3: 3/7, Goal 4: 3/7

So there we have it. I have some pretty clear targets for this week. I'm doing well with water today, and my lifts cheered me up, so that's a start.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

my lower right rib starts hurting

I had rib discomfort with my pregnancies.  First time, my Dr. said its often due to everything spreading to accommodate the growing symbiont.  All the stuff (ligaments, tendons, I don’t remember.  It was 24 years ago) stretch.  And it hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaemonCorax said:

So there we have it. I have some pretty clear targets for this week. I'm doing well with water today, and my lifts cheered me up, so that's a start.

You got a lot of +1's last week.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rinna said:

First time, my Dr. said its often due to everything spreading to accommodate the growing symbiont.

Yeah, my ribcage isn't very large to begin with. Something like 29" around, maybe 30", even though I'm 5'7". I have a lot of core muscle mass, but it doesn't have much of a platform to attach to! My ribcage hasn't really gotten wider yet (And since I'm in month 7, I'm guessing it won't really), but everything is pulling on this somewhat undersized scaffold.

• Like 1

Trying to get back on the biking wagon. Shout out to the enabling and supportive MFH! He dropped me at a park partway into work this morning and I rode 3.5 mi in. The fog and frozen to the trees and it was beautiful. I got some knots above my hips where the ligaments are being stretched, but it was worth it. I'm not sure how the full 8.5 mi is going to feel, but this was good enough for me to want to try again. If I can't do it without wimpering in pain, then it's time to hike. Hiking rough stuff is much less repetitive, so it (like climbing) should limber me up.

I'll count this as a workout, but only barely.

Otherwise, I'm sort of trying to take it easy this week. I had a sore throat last night and am trying really hard not to get MFH's cold. He's been miserable. He is well aware that if I catch it I will be so much MORE miserable. Chamomile and honey at work for me!

Winter-Barn-Scene.jpg

This is not from today, but this is what everything looked like outside.

• Like 2

At the gym now.
Stretches
Push-ups on knees 3x10
Front squat 45x5, 65x5, 75x5
Barbell row 75x5, 85x5, 95x5
Back squat 130 3x5
Deadlift 135x5, 185x3

I forgot gloves, but still used switch grip for the heavier deadlifts. I have learned my lesson. Don't forget the gloves! I was fighting hand sweat to the point that I was worried about form, so I stopped.

I may also need to switch to sumo soon.

• Like 1