• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DaemonCorax

DaemonCorax and the rowdy inmate (incubating pt. 4)

You would think basic things would be.... well... basic. After saying i needed more sleep, I was still up until 11 Wednesday night. Our birth class doesn't get out until after 9, and then I was chatting on the stairs with my roommate, so it's not like I was partying or anything but still. I woke up hungry around 3:30 or 4 and took over an hour to go back to sleep. We got up and went to the climbing gym anyway. The gym choice was mostly because I knew today I wasn't going to have time for a workout, so Thursday was important. We climbed 5 routes including a crack lap. I was strong and didn't come off anything (one 9, one crack lap, three 10's), but I was slow and low energy. Then dropping off MFH I got hit with feeling awful and dizzy. He had to make me a PB&J from his lunch supplies before I continued on to work. I was so so tired and breakfast apparently wasn't enough. By the afternoon I was kinda functioning normally, but then I crashed again in the evening. Could barely finish dinner.

Last night was more of the same. Went to bed at like 9:30 this time, but still woke up hungry. Woke up again at 3:30 and couldn't fall asleep again and gradually realized I was hungry. MFH hadn't let me upstairs without snacks though, so I had snack by the bed. It feels like a Bert+Ernie skit to be eating cookies in bed in the dark. Sigh. Now, after a busy day at work, I'm tired again.

• Like 2

Ok, so Friday was a rest day and Saturday went skiing.

The GOOD: we had a foot of fresh snow. It was beautiful. There were hardly any people.

The BAD: The fresh snow meant that if I was going slow up an more abrupt bump, my ski poles would sometimes sink without warning halfway through a stride. This led to me feeling like I was getting punched in the sternum as the muscles along my side struggled to pull in on the ski pole and keep balance while navigating their way around my belly. Additionally as the temp dropped from about 25 to 10 over the midday, the skis started to snowball a bit even after switching wax. Oops. We took a more creative route and while I really want to spend mroe time there, we only did 3 miles and I was feeling really rough afterwards.

I woke up in the middle of the night Saturday night and couldn't roll over without pushing MFH out of bed, rolling, and then re-situating on my side. My whole midline and everything along the bottom of my ribs burned.

Sunday was a project day, but I wasn't super useful. My abs continued to hurt randomly all over the place - everything from fascia twinges to aches and stabs. I flopped on the couch around 6 and later broke out the k-tape and gave myself a neon pink "x" across my belly. That has helped immensely.  I slept for 4 hours straight last night (out of 7.5) last night, which is an improvement. I rested yesterday and was able to climb today. I didn't lift heavy because I wanted to really assess my mobility first. We got 4 laps today including a 10+ for me that I popped off of once, but was otherwise pretty pleased with.

• Like 1

Yeah I got scared that even moving around the house was going to exacerbate things, never mind going to work. The tape gives the tiny stabilizing muscles and the connective tissue a chance to rest.

This page has the simplest explanation. Although the first time I did this x a few weeks ago, I discovered that if the tape is too tight it just pulls the muscles on the corner.

https://diaryofafitmommy.com/kinesio-taping-during-pregnancy-techniques-for-the-pregnant-belly/

Yeah, it's great though. It works. No pain relievers to take. Makes up for the fact that I can't really spend all day in bed, and prevents further damage. I think it helps that I'm super tuned into all these different sensations - unpleasant, yes, but useful. If my body is telling me how to avoid injury, I should probably listen!

At the gym logging:

Front squat 45x5, 65x5, 75x5
Push-ups on knees 3x10
Barbell rows 75x5 85 2x5
Back squat 115x5 135 2x5
Hammer curls 20ea 3x8
Deadlift 135x5, 155x5, 190x5 (last set switch grip)

I'm starting to do my sets at different weights because if I'm not warming up w climbing it's really important to me that I have a chance to asses where I am today and not shock or tweak anything.

Deadlifts today made me so happy. I'm glad I took it easy the past couple days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Deadlifts today made me so happy.

I'm happy that you're happy.  :-) Deadlifts are awesome. Great workout!  Keep it up!

• Like 1

WEEK 3:

Monday: Did a good job with the water. Climbed a little + lifted. Goal 1: +1, Goal 3: +1, Goal 2: +1

Tuesday: Rode 1/2 way to work. Goal 1: +1, Goal 2: +1

Wednesday: Lifted and stretched. Goal 1: +1, Goal 2: +1, Goal 3: +1 Goal 4: +1

Thursday: Climbed, drank water. Had a lot of trouble with sleep and mood though. Goal 1: +1, Goal 3: +1

Friday: Rest day.

Saturday: Skiing. Jerked my core around too much in powdery snow. Very sad. Goal 1: +1/2

Sunday: Project day. Not moving super well.

Week 2 Summary:

Working out in the controlled environment of the gym is going well. Skiing might have to go on the backburner though - the unpredictability of the snow makes for some tricky energy/strength calculus. My hormones have definitely ticked up in the past two weeks, making me feel more wiped out by all of this.

Goal 1: 5/5

Goal 2: 3/7

Goal 3: 3/7 - my thirst levels are really all over the map

Goal 4: 1/7 - non-climbing gym days are really good for this.

Today is an unplanned rest day. We got home from birth class at 10 pm. I've been working past 6 pm all week. I felt upset and drained while getting ready for bed. I didn't obsessively circle the to do list TOOOOO much, but I just felt crushed. We stayed up to watch a Netflix episode in bed to calm me down (I fell asleep 1/2 way through) and slept in an extra hour this morning.

5 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

I need a sneetch/Thor mash-up gif.

I think the whole world needs this. Sadly, I don't know how to make gifs.

Yesterday evening I screwed up my hydration and was so so sick. I didn't drink enough water while I was at working and had some crushing cramps until I got home and had a big mug of miso soup. Ouch.

Today no workout - scooted into work early to leave early. We're going west for a friend's birthday and hopefully won't get hit by the crazy avalanches on I-70. Over the weekend is my last pre-baby change to see if I can still climb a desert crack. I'm not so sure. I tired. But the desert is a happy place, so there's that.

Weekend wrap up.

Definitely didn't sleep enough this weekend, and paid for it yesterday. However, being outside a bunch two days in a row was really nice. Saturday it snowed. So the rock climbing was kinda comical - we were climbing granite, so the rock didn't care, but we all found things awfully slippery. I only climbed half a route - the second half had water running through it and the "secure" way to get up the climb involved pulling myself into a place where my belly just didn't fit. The hike up to and down from the climb went fine. I'm definitely breathing harder, but my heart rate doesn't seem to care - things are just getting squished.

Sunday we were maybe 15 mi farther south, a little lower, and basking in the sunshine with orange sandstone cracks. It was great. We had limited time before driving home, and I only climbed one route, but I climbed it clean. The route itself was an easy handcrack, but the second half tilted into an overhanging position. I was breathing really hard by that point, but again, no stress otherwise. The route was pretty short, and when I came back down I got to hang out in the sun. My climbing limit right now is pretty noticeable, but it did feel good to touch a desert crack again. It also gave me confidence that when this is all over I'll be able to get back into it pretty well. My dr's appt yesterday has me up 26 lbs, and again, the lung squish is becoming a thing. I'll be glad when this is over though - the past 3 weeks the hormones have really ticked back up and my evenings are much more useless, tired, and emotional.

Stayed in bed a bit this morning to recharge instead of hitting the gym.

I'll post a challenge summary here soon. Not sure what my next one will be.

107334225_medium_1494182328.jpg.2ac4671808792ba217304b07c6822071.jpg

"TH Crack" starts to the left of the engraving and meanders up and right.

It was put up in 1968, before people stopped scratching stuff into the wall apparently.

Next time I'm out here, when I have a waist again, I should really lead it.

• Like 1

Climbed briefly yesterday. More on that later.

At gym, pressed for time:
Back squat 65x5, 95x5, 135x5, 140 2x5
Inverted rows first 4 feet wrong, then 3x5
Lots of stretching today
Deadlifts 135x5, 155x5, 195x5 w gloves on last set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LATER: Climbing Thursday was brief because I was super tired but needed to move anyway. 2/3 of the way up my third route of the day, I didn't feel great. My hands felt pumped, I got into a good position on good feet, but I didn't feel better, and actually felt a little dizzy. MFH lowered me. We went to work. Not exercising MTW, and then sleeping so so badly Wednesday night definitely set my energy back. I think my body wasn't ready to go to the gym and hit it hard first thing in the morning after that. Sigh.