• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP back Into the Fray

I like your conclusions.  Sometimes the basics are so easy to overlook! If we don't say specifically when and where and how we are going to do something, it is much less likely to get done no matter how motivated we are!

Your hikes sound fun (and I'm secretly happy your BIL bailed on you).  When you conquer the puzzle can you post a victory pic?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

When you conquer the puzzle can you post a victory pic?

Seconded!

You know that we always reach a plateau and then have to tweek things a bit to move forward, if you want to move forward, get even better. If you always win at something, what would be the purpose of continuing? There has to be a challenge, and also a challenge with ourselves, our character. Loosing a bit every now and again keeps us grounded and level-headed. Or that is how I tend to think of it. If you are on a plateau, and really just not improving, then maybe something in the basic training needs to change?

• Like 1

Hello back, guys.

Friday. Woot,  but what a week!

I appreciate the thoughts about plateaus.  Indeed I do think they remind one, that change is hard... and further improvements sometimes require flexibility, dedication, and introspection.

FIRST, Last weekend!

Saturday's walk

dfPe4Qj.jpg

the start of my walk.  its at the TOP of the hill above a beautiful reservoir.  note the broken clouds. the day gets prettier and sunnier.

DGnTb5q.jpg

above a big ravine.  a pretty nasty steep 200 '+ fall right there.  I thought of taking my son but by this (early) part of the walk, I'm glad I didn't.  he wouldn't like an Icy trail above a steep ravine.

L0uEOGI.jpg

I can't help it! SUN!!! yay.  plus a pretty rock- I'm always struck by the beauty of them.

eH8yu4l.jpg

coming down the trail I get really pretty views of the reservoir.  see the tire tracks?  someone was NUTS this weekend to bike down this steep, icy, snowish hill- even if it switchbacks.  everybody though must have done this earlier in the day- I saw no one all walk long.

ab925aL.jpg

lot of these bridges though.  really makes a nicer walk than SOME trails that would surely plod though a muddy spring.  (ask me how often I WALKED THROUGH THAT in my long 100 mile walk? ;) )

92yMS7i.jpg

"Just above the Bridge".  maybe Not the nicest pic but it was an unbelieveably gorgeous place. surrounded by son and that unique beige golden light of early spring.

tUpWb28.jpg

on the other side I finally found myself mostly walking into the sun.

.. I actually ended up walking up the hill, chasing the sun and being on the edge of light and dark all the way til the end of the walk.

uqHjMjK.jpg

and at the end of the walk. I had just missed sunset on the beautiful overlooks that dot the road where I parked.  you'll have to excuse the image quality a little; I had to alter color balance to help you see what I saw.   Not a Cloud in the sky and an indelible display of pale gold, reds, and baby blues in the twillight.

this really WAS the prettiest, most photogenic walk I've taken in a long, long time.  so I hope you forgive the big image dump.

I have an image of sundays walk , but :( its blurry

if17JGy.jpg

sorry.  You can see the potential!?

this is the nicest place in that walk as the weather was drab.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, TGP said:

one Step at a time. So absolutely true!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKMM_jrwdULyDMGNqn-7F

Hikes have a problematic side though.  I think on a bitterly cold WINTER WEATHER IS A PIA... PLS GO AWAY kind of month

Winter hiking is hard.  You always inspire me to get out even in the cold...  All those photos are lovely!!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FRIDAY

end of the day, Friday; it is Beautiful outside! oh how I wish I could have enjoyed it.  oh well, warmer days are coming.

anyways I said I'd update everyone on my week and Here is my Update.

WEEK 17.

Generally, Not the week I was hoping for and definitely not great considering last weekend.... anyways, lets go through this point by point.

Hiking; ofc I've already said how much I enjoyed my hikes at the top of my week, last saturday/sunday.  Unfortunately, there was No follow though with another hike in the Weekday.   that Hike (and it only needs to be ONE decent hike); is a pretty important part of my plans.  I meant to get it Wednesday; but wednesday turned out to be busy and with brutal rain/snow weather and last night was an awful Headache that ruined all my plans.  

I figure Without that extra hike; I risk making the whole hiking thing just a weekend warrior sort of challenge and I'm not so sure it will be enough.  Still week 17 is a little early in my training and falling short here isn't crippling; so long as I make no habit of it.

Time Management;  my new insight... and I figure I got it about half right for the two days that I tried. ofc. my Bad headache interferred; but it prolly helped more than it hurt as it forced me to sleep early.  and that's the silver lining to the Headache; dealing with the sleep deficit.   Generally, though I've done Worse not better than week 18; on the morning particularly.   

Climbing;  as I said I was pretty distressed about Tuesday's climb.  and on Thursday , I had to skip it due to the head ache.  but I gotta regain perspective of why this is important to me.  Climbing is a clever and interesting way to exercise; and If I don't make it up routes/problems,etc  its only that I need to work on my technique and strive to get a little stronger.  I've also sent an email asking someone I know that is very good at climbing for a little paid mentoring.  but I don't know that I'll get much of an answer.  people don't do that around here.... there's not enough interest in climbing.  experienced people are generally, into their own thing.   Paid exercise trainers are experienced about things that More people do. (weight lifting/running/biking/etc).

Chess; the other distressing thing.   a bad losing streak.  I think its because I got sleep deprived. but I know I'm not studying like I should.  thus the importance of time management, so many things I want to do depends on it.

Piano;  got through a long song this week. so THAT is good.  kind of a meh week.  not too much study but not as much failure as other things I'm trying to do

Weight lifting; yep not good here Either.  I got one lift in on the weekend.  otherwise it was a similar story on how I meant to do it here and there.  I really DO need a good morning routine to regularly lift weights.   At least I got that one lift in!  one lift a week is holding ON to the semblance of having a routine; no better or worse.

There... I've said it.  I was even kind of procrastinating about that.  you don't have much to say; when everything is doing great. but when things Aren't doiing great- ha- you don't WANT to say anything.  There goes the Sun! (sunset)

shame. its not supposed to be sunny this weekend.  nonetheless I can try to get some good things in.

• Like 4

Beautiful photos, thanks TGP. All the best with the week ahead. You're doing a lot of stuff, and you are getting something of everything done. No wonder you are tired. Hope this week goes better for you, although I'm still impressed with what you do manage to get done. Don't be too hard on yourself.

• Like 1

@salinger

hey Liz, just came back from it.

SO athletic!  I meant it to be a "fast" 12 mile walk/hike on the roads that go up the hills behind my house.  kind of grey weary day, additionally it was cold and there was icy spots.

nonetheless I was making good pace and feeling good about myself.

towards the end of othe walk, however, I realized my 12 mile was in fact 13!  

you can't easily "make time" on a hike.  Nonetheless I took my already fast pace and went faster...

my legs are somewhat burning right now 

(I was only 20 minutes late!).  anyways, mission accomplished I suppose- that was indeed a right fast walk.  I need to do walks like that, though next time maybe not so extreme- and not when there is icy patches every once in a long while.  I"m truthfully kind of lucky I didn't fall- (or is that skill in finding the safest path?  idk)...

not sure but I hope for another hike in the weekend.  I kind of hope , too , to go icefishing with my son tomorrow.  time will tell.

• Like 5

Sleep deprivation affects SO MUCH.  Ugh it's the worst.....

Glad your hike went well!!!  I wish it would warm up here, it's been in the 20s and 30s and windy and it's just too much. :[

• Like 1

Just briefly.  my son and I did end up ice fishing sunday.

no fish.  pretty enjoyable day nonetheless.  beginnings of a small snowstorm

I used to fish in that place All the time when I was a kid, but now it is a drive.  driving in the snowstorm (coming back) Wasn't fun, though I went right past my old house.

I think brennon enjoyed seeing where I used to live.

we Very much lived in the hills a long ways from any big town.

it was the kind of place a kid that loved fishing and hiking (me) really enjoyed.  but driving through there; dark, snowing, and icy wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be.

----

also this morning.  my chess mentor just has realized some of the bad chess games I have played the last little while.

as he put it; Blunders and mistakes (compared to before) are everywhere.

there's something true and odd about this.

some days I can play SO strongly; see SO much.  other days I just miss obvious stuff!  and have all kinds of problems.

this is why I have "winning streaks" and "losing streaks".  I think from his POV its confusing!  I'm not sure his bit about relaxation though is really insightful.  It isn't IMHO, a simply matter of stress.  maybe its sleep deprivation?  or confidence??

I so WISH I could understand how to tell when I am going to play (chess) like a chessplayer- with only a few obvious blunders, or a Rank N00b that can't keep his pawns and peices safe.

If I could figure THAT out. maybe I wouldn't play when I was in that kind of mood.

anyways, not much chess over the weekend. Instead the PUZZLE.

I'll get a pic up when I get it done.  of the 2000 peices 1930 peices have been placed.  only the very hardest peices are left.  (even peices with Stars have Now, generally, been found) --- "black" and "blackish" peices with No detail at all.

its grueling!

HAPPY MONDAY, guys.

• Like 5

I'm really concerned about my chess.  I think my recent losing streak is the result of some bad mental habits.

to me chess is a bit of a measure of my ability to think clearly, and is an expression of my determination to learn and master mental discipline.

in THAT way, perhaps the losing streak IS the bigger issue in my life.  Time, and my ability to hold a schedule IS important.  I'm tracking that very carefully now.

but Chess measures in part a little part of how well I'm using that time.

and unfortunately, it has Not gone well.

they call simple mistakes in chess, Blunders; and I've spent my lunch googling about it.  the normal advice!  spend more time Trying to understand the opponent's threats; strive to understand the weakness of your own plans, do you ideas Work? meaning do they solidly allow your pawns and peices to dominate the board??

I refuse to get discouraged by this development.  there is Not time table for my chess improvement.  Platueau's have to be endured sometimes; and at others people need to make changes.

They just called to say the PUzzle is done.  Yay!  though ENOUGH of the puzzle.  I want to get back to winning chess games.  IN the world of exercise, DOING it- becomes the major big point.  but in chess; one must do MORE than simply play (the game).  one must understand and study the game.

I'm falling a little short on the later part of that.  

too casual at chess.  

I feel a little LOUD and blabby. but my chess mentor mentioning my blunders and weak moves was a bit of a blow.   He wants to help.  He's a great guy and a strong chessplayer.  but I can't be complacent about LOSING.  chess is important to me, and while losing happens, I have to strive to get beyond silly mistakes.

• Like 2

I feel Better today!

a string of good things happened the last couple days.

I started winning again in chess,  I got some piano practice in, did some weight lifting and I finally climbed route "4"  after quite along while of trying and failing.  I had done that route back in the summer- but for quite a few weeks it seemed beyond my strength and skill. 

its all a reminder that all the opposition I am facing it can be beaten.  I'm in charge of my own life.

I'm even doing better with my time.  True, I got up a bit late this morning; but I think now I'm completely caught up on sleep. and last night was the earliest bedtime in weeks.

----

there's a winter storm NOW bearing down on us; but its not very viscious- it was much worse west of here; and in its wake they all calling for mild, spring-like 40°F temps.

FINALLY its going to be warmer than freezing.  I Love when that happens!

(I think I'll use that as an excuse to get some night time hiking in )....

can you tell, that I'm all feeling better?:

10648438_554577177975724_498675184899791

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I started winning again in chess,  I got some piano practice in, did some weight lifting and I finally climbed route "4"  after quite along while of trying and failing.  I had done that route back in the summer- but for quite a few weeks it seemed beyond my strength and skill. 

its all a reminder that all the opposition I am facing it can be beaten.  I'm in charge of my own life.

There you go! Awesome to see you in better spirits.

• Like 1

yeahhhh better days :) do you like the song Better Days by Bruce Springsteen? I love it. 

These are better days baby
These are better days it's true
These are better days
Better days are shining through

@Kestrel Grey

ty. Interesting folks!  I think the rucking/backpacking DOES demand more upper body strength than I generally have and this year I will NOT give up weight lifting as my hiking program gets intense.  instead, I need to double down on making sure I get to it.  ty for letting me know about it....                        

--------
its been an interesting day and a half guys.  about Wednesday evening I was starting to feel a little off. the feeling grey over the day and by Wednesday Evening; it was quite clear I was going to have an intense migraine/headache. ok. well take some imitrax (spelling?) and sleep it off.   and so it 'seemed' to work.  Thursday morning having slept through all evening- I woke up early (4:30am), did some chess; eat, drank and enjoyed a little peace and quiet.             but it was Not to be; a felt a little bit off by the time I went to work and by the afternoon; after taking everything I could think of... an even bigger headache!  I couldn't work like that; and my boss was very nice about it.  I took the half day off and again slept.. soundly.

Woke up around 6pm. had some dinner Def feeling better, so I went for a Hike.  Very good Hike!  hike report to follow. 

But I am concerned about these headaches.  I've got 2 prescriptions for headaches and both don't seem to be doing much.  is this just the case of a really bad headache (on Wed) that refused to go away?  is my wife right that I'm in fact stuffy and need to be taking sudafed non stop to get my sinus's clear?? idk.  I don't feel stuffy; but one thing WAS wierd about the headache. it was making me dizzy.  I don't think that's especially odd for a headache but it does seem to incriminate the sinus's.   anyways.  I still have more posting to do.   but only on break..... I'm very grateful my boss was so chill about my request for sick time like that.  

• Like 2

Hey TGP, also glad your boss was good about you needing to go home. Can you see someone about the headaches. Maybe try the sudafed and see if it helps? Although im sure i was told you shouldnt take it all the time?? x

• Like 1

yeah, it'll be the first thing I try ( if I get another one)...

anyways,

What a good Walk that WAS last night!   the bright gibbous moon wasn't bring enough to give the snow an vivid electric blue color- but it did light up the woods  and there a weak kind of blueish grey reflected back on the snowy forest floor.  Everything else though  was shades of Black!  especially the towering rock boulders; which in the dark hue took  a menacing look that kind of reminded me of LOTR.  Not evil by themselves; but definitely menacing and mean.

you did NOT want to go stumbling over rocks last night.

about the snow. it was really one of the more interesting hikes I've had this year.  there wasn't ALOT of snow; but there was Some everywhere and it was very Crunchy.  I mean with a Crunchy crushing sound that rang through the woods.  I really noticed this when I got into the hard terrain and had to shed my hat.

it could have been a quiet walk- not an eerie sound in miles (and miles and miles away from all lights, houses, etc)... but that crunching sound of my footsteps.  so LOUD in the quietness of last night.

the terrain WAS challenging; an 800' hill over 6 miles with three separate trail segments making a tight loop against the steep "dewdrop" hill.  being a biking trail; they made a very serpentine track down the hill; constantly going back and forth in big switchbacks.  I started going down.  and noticed that the quick pace seemed to be slowed by the crunchy snow- I really think the snow absorbed some of my energy making holding a good pace that much harder.

still I had time.  I gave it a lot of effort (I was drenched with sweat when I came home)!

Getting to the bottom of the hill-  one of the trail segments wasn't finished.  that went ok, especially at first; they puts some beautiful work into some bridges at the bottom of the hill.  but about halfways up; I LOST the trail.  and what a bad spot! steep rocks; thick, icy snow, fallen trees... simply treacherous!   I took an educated guess where the trail would likely go and Happily I found it!   I'm still not sure whether I just missed a switchback (or something) or whether the trail itself hadn't been prepared on that part of the hill.

no matter!  coming up to the top of the hill- the trail comes close to a huge Boulder pile and finds a clever way up a small cliff.  it would have Definitely been beautiful in the light- in the dark it had a menacing look; like you were creeping along Sauron's castle or something.  (obvious exaggeration, I know)

anyways... it seemed to take TOO long to get back to the car; but that is the way ALL my hikes go and though it was late I was happy.  I had enjoyed myself even if I did call off for a little bit of work earlier in the day.  

and anyways I did miss climbing.

so I think I deserved some R&R.  (highlighting for obvious self-serving purpose. ha!)

being friday and all- I'm going to try to walk nights tonight and tomorrow night too!   A weekly report will follow;.

• Like 5

Thanks for the detailed account of the hike. It made me feel like I was there. In my neighborhood walk the other day, I enjoyed stepping on the crunchy snow, and hearing the sound. I can imagine how much more it echoed in the forest

• Like 1

FRIDAY

end of the day, Friday; it is CONSIDERABLY warmer today!  spring (early) is in the air.

Here is my Update.

WEEK 16.

Generally, a mix of wins and lows.  Stuff like the headache's keep getting in my way...

Hiking; well, Last nights hike happened at the "last minute" for Week 16; and made for about 6 hours of hiking time, 3 weeks in a row.  I think thats good enough for Now!.... but I'm still a little concerned that I'm not ready to step it up to MORE hours.  Patience My Logical heads , says,  my daughter is still using our car to get to work,etc.  When she goes back things will get a little easier.  I think my wife understands , too, that I'll simply need  more time in the future.  the difficult but important task here is to clearly state when this happens preferably a few weeks early- so its not a shock.

I will need to step up to 8 hour hikes on the weekends.  these little hikes, while interesting aren't going to be enough...  OTOH; you walk small hikes to get better at medium hikes; and do THOSE hikes to handle the long hikes.

(and a 40 hour 100 mile hike is trained by hiking lots of long ones!)

so all hiking/walking matters.  

Time Management;  yeah. Not wonderful!  the headaches have messed with me... but other days were more ruined by being unattentive to the clock and not planning things well.  Help make Dinner, EARLY, its better for everybody sort of thing.  instead things get procastinated and everyone is less pleasant doing housework chores late at night...

Climbing;  only one short climb and it was clearly a victory.  perhaps I just need patience and perspective here....

Chess; Broke my Losing streak , so in this regard, at least!  it is a solid WIN!  still need to do more study, though...

Piano;  oh yuck, not good.  like only 2 practices.  life gets in the way....  NEXT WEEK, though, piano lesson(s) will just have to wait.  me and my wife have an opportunity to do a date. its been SO long since we've done that....

Weight lifting; technically only once; but I climbed I think on Tuesday and Now Friday morning.  so Weight lifting by legitamitely waking up early is a HUGE win and not to be understated.  the link above just re-inforces what I already know.  my best prep for bearing a heavy backpack is to guilt my shoulder and upper body better built.

so, in some Areas some big wins- in other "meh" or " :( "

quite a week.

but if my plans go according to plans, the coming weekend could be VERY active.

• Like 4

@GoodDoug

Go to it!  I strongly second that thought.  Hikes are absolutely my favorite exercise.  Its hard to think of anything else so

* inexpensive

*easy

*beautiful

* athletic

*greuling

* and rewarding!

and if you feel that the terrain just can't give you enough of a workout-  get a backpack and load it up with weight.... 

I am happy to have so many local options to hike; especially when you broaden your gaze and include trails that typically meant for something else (like a mountain bike trail or a ski trail)

• Like 1