• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP back Into the Fray

Glad you had a great weekend! You definitely are a scientist with your love of data and spreadsheets :D You're spring must be on the way by now, as we are getting some cooler weather this side. Well, I hope 'this stinkin' ' stuff starts to melt soon.

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Glad you had a great weekend! You definitely are a scientist with your love of data and spreadsheets :D You're spring must be on the way by now, as we are getting some cooler weather this side. Well, I hope 'this stinkin' ' stuff starts to melt soon.

ty...

yeah, maybe it is- but before we get spring we get some very air.  on wednesday the high is like -10*C.

the only thing to say REALLY is

image.jpeg.1eec8cf38fd7311903029f9aff8ae0d4.jpeg

"Weather" definitely falls under things I cannot change.  I've just been struggling lately with "SERENITY"

though actually the hike this weekend helped ( a little).  I forced myself to take pictures- even though I really didn't feel that it was THAT beautiful of a hike.

there's a minor mystery right now on where they are.  I thought I posted on imgur-yesterday, and yet I don't see them today.  ?

anyways it was a good Hike!  6 hours long.  my longest yet!  if it has to be be bitter Winter weather-- I vow NOT to allow it to derail my training.

----

also; just saying I feel good.  I had some weight lifting this morning and I did a full proper PULLUP from a dead hang to chin over the bar! woot!

my shoulders ARE getting stronger!!!

this bodes good for both; backpacking and rock climbing.

• Like 6

well, a little bit of a letdown.

my wednesday hike is canceled.  my Father (wisely) pointed out that the weather... (high in just the teens (about -10*C)) is just too cold.  He wanted to know how temps like that could possibly help me train.  I Do agree with him

but I've got a tiny bit of dissapointment still.

Now HOPEFULLY, I will be able to reschedule for Friday. That will make me feel better... though, that does push the walk clear out of Week14.

---

did some talking to someone on the walk this weekend that has done the 100 mile hiking challenge. I've heard and read quite a lot about it; so I don't think there was anything "new or entirely unexpected"... though its always very interesting to hear experienced hikers talking about what it takes to complete the challenge (and Train for it!)...

one commonly said thing is that, beyond the basic training for the hike-- training becomes, by itself, much Less important.

meaning; that if you marginally trained in 100hours of hiking; and Def good to go at 150....

Doing 300 doesn't make the long hike a "cakewalk".  it only means that you have Def put your body through an intense conditioning period.

---

but the Point that May be lost for all you non-hikers is just how MUCH MORE 100miles is than anything you can easily do in a weekend.

You got a 8hour hike. Woot! thats a long one. oh wait, its only 16% of the A100... I guess it aint so long.

See?

thats WHY the A100 is such a bear.  your 8 to even 12 hr hikes (when I can do them!?) is Good, but not sufficient to truly prepare for a hike of that magnitude.....

(for ease of reading. Intermission)

• Like 4

(part II)

so , onwards and how DOES a good fit athlete complete such a long hike? (or a long anything...)

yeah, its Done, Because its MENTAL!  you body says wooh- STOPPPPPPP!!!!!! 12 hours is long enough...

you have to say, "Kiss my Rear around your lazy peice of meat- I'm on 25% through"

---

reading about mental thoughts and there are 2 kinds

Associative.  "to Body.  How Do you feel, Mr Kneecap? can you handle the Next hard hill!!? only 600feet high"  ("to mind:  do you want to feel down the last 50' of rocks and trees!!!! Quite Taunting me; this SUCKS!)

Disassociative: "I wonder what color Unicorns are??"  &  "I wonder what happened to my long lost (and first) girlfriend.  She surely moved to Florida... (she WAS from Fl!) so thats logical....."

Good athletes (apparently) use both; though they try to be a little MORE associative.  what I guess your NOT supposed to think of is

"OMG(goodness)... 18.1 MILES??? oh I don't think I can do it- its SO endless?  why can't it end in the next ten minutes??!  why am I cold/hungry/tired/achy all the time???? Maybe hiking isn't for me!!!"

and on and one.

I'll be honest. my thought patterns haven't been so good recently.  too much anxious/ unconfortable/ etc thoughts.  I think I've been noticing that.

any of you guys have a thought about What to think during long duration Exercise!?  I think I'll ponder it some.   and I think I got it!  a little serenity for the arctic weather and the walk that must be moved.,

Weather Happens!  sometimes you just endure stuff; But this week there's no point in enduring it.  it would serve no purpose.

if it was a big ole (cold) rain storm- it would NOT be moved.  thats Exactly the weather that stopped me last year.

so I'll save my time for those kinds of problems (opportunities in disguise??)  and Endure and conquer THAT.

• Like 3

Your conversation reminded me of the book Endure, which is the current science and psychology behind what lets people keep going (or what makes them quit) during endurance sports. Highly recommended if you like reading. Also maybe read some ultra running forums? irunfar etc. It's pretty much the same mental game and there are more resources for ultra runners than long distance hikers.

• Like 2

ty Kestrel I will check out that book it looks very interesting...

anyways- I FOUND the pics.  but I don't think I'll add much commentary.  the walk was in a place of many streams (for once, though, nearly ALL of them had bridges)...

good stuff

8Rv3o0B.jpg

Q4vSPx6.jpg

cnpDw1K.jpg

c8AFDZU.jpg

its Kind of pretty isn't it?

the LAST one ISN"T pretty-- but it IS why I'm still straining to deal with the weather.  I call this image "the Ride Home" 

7k69Ni4.jpg

#Winter Sucks!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

if it was a big ole (cold) rain storm- it would NOT be moved.  thats Exactly the weather that stopped me last year.

so I'll save my time for those kinds of problems (opportunities in disguise??)  and Endure and conquer THAT.

For all the hiking I've ever done, nothing compares to this A100. But on all hikes you get stages where you go through doubt: of yourself, your fitness, the terrain... and the most important, imho, is to get through those. To trust in yourself, your preparation, your wisdom to get through and go on, based on experience - what conditions you've trained in, what you've already handled, and overcome, in the past. Which is where the mental talks come in.

All in all it is difficult, and mental thoughts/talking to yourself, should probably be trained as much as you train physically.

I can tell you this much: I'm astounded in what weather you go out and train. That is already some really remarkable accomplishment! :loyal:

• Thanks 1

wow. So much snow!! Makes me feel cold just looking!

You are doing so well and i am so impressed and inspired by your hiking. Great job xx

When I was doing some endurance stuff, it helped me to work hard to be aware of my surroundings. When that didn't work and I found my thoughts going sideways I would try to shift into math (I've already biked 50 miles in 2 and a half hours. So I am 25% through. Now if I keep up the pace, I'll be at halfway by 1 pm...) and stuff like that.

So, you tend to focus on how you are feeling and how far you've gone, make it a game to do the math around where you are and how much you have to go. Worked really well for me.

• Like 1

I Wasn't Going to Write in my challenge today!  truth be told it was a HARD day that started with having a leak in the upstairs toilet... (what a thing to find in the early morning!)

and a busy day at work

But I've Just finished my 18th Journal 2 days ago and for my 19th Journal I was thinking very hard of Mental Grit.

Googling; in truth, Mental Grit Greatly pervades all my hobbies from chess to Hiking.   and the Mind/Body connection is AMAZINGLY deep.  Take chess (as a mere example); most people would think Chess is innately Mental with barely any physicality.  if you think that, you simply haven't played at the higher level(s).  Chess is incredibly physically consisting of Tense, Patient, Concentration for perhaps hours with the tiniest slip up giving one a potentially game ending disadvantage.  

Great players of Chess for over a 100 years have now recognized the innate importance of being an athlete! and the best chess players ARE trully athletes- and work out intensely.   

OTOH; most people would say that with Hiking for example that This is innately Physical.  but here and again; great hikers (and runners) understand how incredibly mental big hiking challenges truly are.  Bad attitudes breed agonizing misery that can doom the whole hike.

there is a similarity that someone that doesn't do chess or hiking might not guess.

Online; in hiking/running where I have been googling the imagery is that of "Demons".  Demons are bad mental states! and I think they pervade all my hobbies.

I started this 4 week challenge with the imagery of thorns but as it comes to a close- I think I like Demons better.   There is quite a lot of useful thoughts about these Demons online and I vow to put some of these "Anti" demons strategies into effect.

"HOW TO DEFEAT DEMONS! (and have better hikes, chess games, piano songs and Sent Rock climbing routes)....

"3 rules"

Rule #1.  Don't summon them!  demons are bad mental attitudes and create mistakes, errors and problems.  Don't 'expect' them.  Don't worry about them.   don't think of them!  concentrate on What you are doing!  make the Demon have to interrupt you, first, and maybe they won't....

Rule #2.  DGAF them.  I ran into this online and had to google DGAF.... ohh.  (Don't Give a .. get it?)   the Point is that problems happen.  Don't FEAR the demon SO much that they throw your confidence when they come.  IN all those many activities.... Problems happen.

in Chess games; sometimes bad moves are made (by good players),  sometimes Hikes are just unpleasant.  I'm NOT A N00b on any of these things! and I'm trying to improve in Each.  I'm a good enough player (hiker,etc) that I can handle problems in any of these things.

DGAF.  I'm a ranger badda$$.  I can handle problems and a little misery.  often when you come up on the other side of a Hard (whatever) it can be the biggest High of all.

Rule #3.  Don't FEED them.  this is the overarching theme and encompasses the other 2.  the purpose of a demon is to feed off your feed, misery, disappointment and become the horror and nightmare of your life.  but you don't have to let it have that KIND of power.  the demon Isn't you and doesn't have to be allowed to own you.  take the disappointment; DGAF it and just Try some more.  go back to the GAME!  you can hike even if you are uncomfortable.  

the googling was very big on this.  this is called "resilience".  

I think that even another passion of my life can have demons.

I love/am passionate about hiking, chess, piano playing, and rock climbing.  lets Add just being a conscientious Adult.

Yes the stupid leaking sewage pipes was an unpleasant demon.  but I can refuse to feed it TOO!  I have enough money in the bank to repair those pipes.  I will DGAF all the negativity around it leaking.  leaking pipes happen.   but I have a bunch of tools saying that it, too, will be defeated.

Anyways.... hope you guys are going well.  lots of people chiming in to update their friends here at the rebellion.  Wonderful.  

(also and BTW, I think I am very, very close to entirely finishing my 2018 Mordor walk. 3400miles in 14 months thats a long ways for a little hobbit like me...)

• Like 5

You're doing great!  STAY STRONG!!!  Shove those demons out into the frozen tundra of our recent weather UGH WHERE IS SPRING okokok RESILIENCE I got it!!!!!

• Like 2

well guys, HELLO.

I just came back from a long hike- by LONG; I don't mean so much in time.  but I did 20miles today (32.2km)--- and my ankles are KILLING ME.

Seriously! help!   lol

something about the hike today was really hardcore. part of its distance- I haven't gone THAT far in a single day since 100miler....  but I think another part of it was the terrain.  I walked on an entirely snow covered road (we literally had the share the road with snowmobiles)  that started all melting and getting soft by afternoon.   towards the end it was like walking on sand dunes and it worked my ankles intensely

beautiful day, NO really BEAUTIFUL!!!  the sun is beaming just about as intensely as sun can happen on a March day and not a cloud on the sky.  the day started out bitterly cold but I was dressed up for it- by the end of the Hike I was IN a sauna- roasting!   and its part of the upcoming warmup.... 5*F to 35*F (with even more heat to happen on the next few days)

anyways, I'm sorry I got no pics to share.  

spring is happening!  if you live in the EUSA, enjoy the upcoming weather!

• Like 3