• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP back Into the Fray

"Clawing, grasping, ripping, stinging...

dominik-mayer-fight-through-the-thorns.j

Oh How I hate Thorns!  I hate how they hold me down and grasp on to any motion.  I hate how easily they slice and painfully one bleeds.  I hate how quickly they grow and how sneakily they weave around the brush of less painful brush.  I hate how they sly they are to percolate in unseen glens; how a unsuspecting voyager pleasantly enjoying the forest can soon be grampled in painful immobilizing agony.

I hate how they are innocently called "briars" or "brambles".  how so many people have no idea of their pestilence- and how they assume a Walk in the woods in a nice symbol of an easy task

oh well.  I'm not in among thorns yet.  maybe the real pain is that I think of them when I'm far away from them."

• Like 5

Welcome to a New challenge!

we're going to keep this informal...  I'm not feeling like a lot of stiff regulations and complicated number games.  

I was just talking to my Dad the other day on the first Long Hike of the Year.  Treading amongst a snowy/icy/slushy snowmobile track on an absolutely Gorgeous day; my Dad got a moment of nostalgia.  we talked about how he wanted to do hike the Applachian Trail.  he was determined to be a successful thru hiker.  as he Put it; for 2-3 years people started avoiding him because all he wanted to do was walk the AT.  when he went he was very prepared;  in Peak fitness , yes perhaps a bit old, but very well equipped and organized.

he Did NOT finish the AT.  After many days of Rain and mud.  he was done.  but its interesting; he doesn't even blame the discomfort.  "Yes" the idea of being dirty/slimy/etc for days to weeks at a time was not pleasant and the crowds he said was stressful.  but the idea that really Sent him home was the idea that it wouldn't end for months and months.  being in an unpleasant place without hope for relief is a horrible demotivating yet sadly uncomfortable feeling.

I will say no more of my Dad.  I think he will grapple with this for a long, long time.  sometimes you do not know what a challenge is truly like until you are facing it.

Anyways;  I know this feeling; this entrapment.  

I think a mental challenge is in order.  Yes. I want to be in better fitness, I want good mornings (still working on that!)  but sometimes I feel like being less depressed and unhappy is within me.  I need to rewrite a little about what it means to be ME.  and the biggest point of all is not to change , so much, what I do.  and what I think about what I'm doing.

i hope this is not Too boring and mental.  i'm  a wreck!

but hey; I'm preparing really hard to do a 100 mile hike in JUNE.  I don't want my big challenge to be about toiling through the miles hating the inevitable discomfort.

I mention thorns because they are a good symbol of a lot of things; in the woods and out of it- of things that I dread.  I give them too much power I think.  I need to be more forceful and stronger against my opposition; instead of going on and on about it- I need to lift my gaze back to the ideas that inspire me. 

• Like 9

Very good points. I've read a few through hikers , and it seems the people had made it were the people who enjoyed. Not that they didn't find it a grind, or that they didn't have really tough times were they struggled mentally,  but they just seemed to also take joy in the actual doing of it . Which is a really good metaphor for life:smile-new:

• Like 3

Great write up TGP, and a great challenge. I hope it all goes well for you, and of course im here to support you along the way xx

• Like 1

Oh man, this is deep. I'm glad to see that you're focusing on what is inside as well as what is outside. Too often we hide that things are not mentally ok, and we really shouldn't. I'm here along side you!

• Like 1

Brainthorns, ugh, that sounds, UGH.  Yeah.

Here for this!  You are stronger than you realize, and you got this!!

• Like 1

getting my signature all straitened out, here at lunch

I'm also signing up for the accountabuddy challenge "fantastic beasts"

this is Elastigirl's good idea to work on some long term goals.  this works REALLY well given my future plans and the A100 I think needs gamified in a way that adknowledges what went wrong last year

and sets me up to overcome them.

my post today was to establish that I need to work on four things;

a Faster hiking pace

steep terrain

Poor (wet) weather

Hiking with some weight in the back pack

If I can do any one of those with a faster pace than I have worked on something that held me back last year.  (including Just plain walking too slow! which held me back last year).  that walk then becomes "magical" and is a reason to feel that my training program might be going particularly well.

Also, if I can do any of that On a LONG hike (6 hours+) that is REALLY good.

---

so Know you are in the Know.  Much like the very long challenge of Wallking to Mount Doom and Back- I will keep at that challenge for a little while.  I just have to make the neccesary changes to my google Doc exercise spreadsheet.

you could consider,

Steepness, slowness, wet weather, and a hefty back pack to be more "thorns" to overcome.    but Perhaps Thorns are more like "Opportunities" to grow and not such a nemesis after all.

with that in mind; here's a Wet rainy day for you.  TERRIBLE walking weather. and Yes.  its raining Outside!

swollen-muddy-stream-through-the-woods-o

I don't think I can find time to hike tonight.  I shouldn't miss these opportunities though...  rain will persist til nearly the weekend.

then we're back to bitter winter temps.

• Like 4

On 2/5/2019 at 11:47 PM, TGP said:

I need to rewrite a little about what it means to be ME.  and the biggest point of all is not to change , so much, what I do.  and what I think about what I'm doing.

i hope this is not Too boring and mental.

Looking forward to this, and will try to be here for support as you walk the walk and cut through the thorns.

• Like 2

BEGINNING of Week 17!

Lets look forward for a bit and not back.  We're gonna get some cold air (again)...  but at least for the next little while No Snow.

I'm appreciative of That!

This weekend; looks to be the likelihood  of a walk/Hike with my son and my Brother in Law.    We haven't Done that! and...

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.  My brother in Law is a passionate hunter who has been to his passion while Minimizing the Walking.   Moreover in the Past he's talked about having some kind of old injury that makes him unable to walk far.

so Call me Very surprised when, the other day he tells me he wants to Join me in my hikes.  He says he needs to be in better shape. (undoubtably a little true FWIW); and walking is the best way to get Free Exercise while enjoying being outdoors and seeing wildlife (He's preaching to the choir on that Count).  I've also seen a lot of deer on these walks and Deer are the one kind of animal we struggle to hunt.   this sitting down and waiting until they go in front of us is a tough thing.  so maybe walking along with a big caliber handgun is an effective way to hunt them ? idk.

anyways.  I have private Doubts he can really "join me on my hikes", exactly.   Perhaps he can join me on a few hikes here or there or something. I know he can wait a little ways into the forest (we've DONE that in the past)... but he is not ready for the Big hikes.   and I can still not forget all the difficulties in the past that he has claimed in the last few months over walking.  He has had problems with walking in even the ordinary places like the grocery store; and I have watched him tote along a cane and talk of problems doing the ordinary routine.  (he has disability so he is freed from the difficulties of a job).

so my concern is that he will get a little ways into the forest and then suddenly have an issue.   he's a big guy If we were to get into the trails like to walk, I couldn't do anything but give him a big break and have him hobble his way back to the car.   Alternately,  a MUCH better but still a little unsatisfying- I could take an opportunity where Normally me and my son would have a decent several hour walk; and walk only a short time/distance.   Lastly, perhaps he would be unpleasant or bicker with my son.   My son and his Uncle don't always see eye to eye on things.

Ah I see I'm thinking of Thorns again!,  after all, I don't know that there will be any.  Perhaps; Rich will go for a surprisingly long while;  he and my son will behave, and I will just enjoy the opportunity to walk in the daylight.   And maybe my Brother-in-Law has just been a bit melodramatic about his problems walking in the past or is receiving some medical advice people have NOT been telling me about.

Also; I am Going to strive (very hard) to get out at least ONE other time on the weekend.   the options are:  Friday night, Sunday Morning/Night.

I think that one of the nights are easier than Sunday morning.     Saturday Morning will be for Weight Lifting ( :( I did No Weight Lifting this last week).

and I suspect that the whats left of the weekend is busy; as it seems that they always are.

-------

as for how I am feeling @salinger ?

I suppose I'm ok.  its a "meh" kind of day with the warm weather leaving.   this week is Not what it could have been with a whole day off work to walk on Monday.  my Nemesis (the morning) has gotten not much better- but its not been terrible either.  I've had a couple lateish nights so I think I'm somewhat sleep deprived.     I'm on a Major Winning streak  with Chess.  that makes me Happy!.... but I don't I'm practicing my chess or piano like I want to or should.  But that's Enough looking back.

• Like 2

Well, I suppose if you end up carrying your brother out of the forest that will be great for your practice of load bearing hikes:smile-new: Hope it all goes well though. Most likely it will either be fine, or he will know soon in that it isn't for hi.. Hopefully he won't mind hanging out and waiting for you guys while you go longer

I have people too who want to hike with me occasionally, who are not fit enough to do anything I would call a hike.  Let me know how you handle it! My current solution is to pick an easy route and not try to get any actual exercise out of it myself, otherwise we both end up frustrated. 

• Like 1

Well, Once again I am ready to talk about the Weekend, quicker, than I can find the time to upload the pics on the internet-- which is a SHAME cuz I had such a pretty hike on Saturday...

ah.. this won't do, I can't tell you about my weekend from the middle.   lets do this proper!

As you know; me, my B-I-L and my son were going to do a Hike on Saturday.  and when Saturday came it was chilly; a new wave of cold air to remind us that Winter is Still ON- no matter What the Pennyslvania Rodent  (Punsxsutawny Phil weather famed prognasticator whom lives not far from me)  says.

the time was going to be a little on the late side of the day; as Sun was going to break out in the late afternoon.  my Brother in Law comes  in and I give him a map of a pretty easy hike.  6 miles including a small detour to see something he might appreciate as a hunter-- and more downhill than up; going from one car to the next.

He gives me this odd little look and says 6 miles?  I think thats too far

"fair enough- get rid of the detour make strait at the end. 4.5miles maybe 5 at the most."

"oh no , no, no"  this weather is far too extreme... I think 4 miles is too far." he says

now this is getting awkward.  I really can't imagine a Hike shorter than 4miles being , properly, a hike.  he sees the uncertainty in my eyes.

"no you understand", he says, I haven't talked to my doctor or anything about this.  maybe with better weather- warmer temps,etc.

and THAT was that.  he bailed on my Hike.  I think  he might have bailed on the idea of hiking---whch is strangely and honestly a little bit of a relief.  Call me BAD- I Do want him to be healthy and I know that everyone has different limits as to what they can do... but he ought to use the word "walk" instead of hike ... and in THAT game, I'm not sold that once a week 2 mile walks Do much!  instead, even Badly out of shape.  walk your small distance 0.5 miles even, but do it Very regularly.

and we have the perfect place for that.  a Bike trail that is very flat.

and its sadly, a Wasted Opportunity given MY plans for me to take time; prime time, to make such a tiny walk out of it. 

so i  upgraded my destination to a more athletic challenge; a local Mountain bike trail with some serious terrain and got ready.  I thought that my son was on board to join me.

I thought wrong!  he bailed on me too!? 

everything getting late I made the decision that I was promised a hike on saturday and I was having one;  I did a few dishes and left.

Boy what a BEautiful Walk it turned Out to be !  and better, it was pretty athletic.  the Outdoors was still very cold and springs had turned to ice and mud turned into patches of Mudcycles... the trail was IN good shape but the hillside was very steep and espacially on the Big hill I had to keep my pace slow.  on the Later end of the walk; it took me up into the hill ground and I kind of followed the sun as it fell into the horizon.  I took too many pictures and got back to the car at dusk.

----

Happy about the Hike I figured I was lucky to have such a nice hike.  Midday Sunday though my son was Regretting bailing on my hike.  it started getting itchy to get outside and talking to his mom he begged to have Another chance for a good.   WOOT!   whats better than one hike in the weekend?  2! (actually)

the weather wasn't as nice- there was  grey gloom.  I felt that the bike trail was a bit too icy for my son; so I went to an old standby;  a Local State park has a series of trails that can be walked segment to segment all at once.  "all the Trials at chapman" is just about 7 miles a perfect distance for the time.

Knowing I was going to go slowly; I grabbed a daypack put some weight in it and made it a Rucking Walk.  13#, which isn't much, but given the day packs poor straps (it was a Walmart daypack)... it was hefty enough.

I enjoyed that walk a lot too!  I love hiking with my son.  he's getting stronger and better (at hiking)... but I don't think he knows his own strength.  or possibly he just watches too much TV of survivor shoes... but we kicked the curb off that 7 mile hike though there were some icy spots in that hike too.

and there, Voila!  my hikes!  more than I expected.  Much more actually!  not yet quite so very far.  about 17 miles total between the two of them.   the TIME will come to dial this up a notch... but I doubt that much longer walks will be as nice as these.  My brother In Laws strange reaction again makes me think alot of how FAR, really my 100mile challenge truly is.  and its a little bit with irony too, as my B-I-L seemed far from impressed with my 89 mile finish last year.... 

going on about how he practically had to go as FAr in the Military with many MORE pounds on weight in his pack.

This is just HIM. its his personality.  Not all his military memories are REAL and he had to leave the  military due to paranoid schezophrenia.  and beyond all that; he's a bit braggy.  I think I made him a little jealous.  and with him being from a family that LIVED to hunt and fish in the woods.  his pride is a little wounded by his limitations.

... hiking is MORE than  just a little more than a stroll at a mall.  and I think you need to DO the big miles to remember just how formidable they all.  for us Weekend warriors the discomfort really comes into play at 20miles as its much further than you one walks on an everyday basis.

but this is why you have to DO the little walks, too.

First you do the little walks ALOT. so the medium walks don't hurt- then you do them; so the 20 miles don't hurt.

and Lastly if I want to succeed with the 100 miler I will really need to obsess on the 20 mile hikes. 

my little rodent friend is right; the spring will happen fast.  We MUST do more long walks than we did last year.   Lots of lots of little walks will NOT do.  they prepare one for the training- but they are NOT the training itself.   sorry for the lack of pics.  I will post will I can.  I'm also painfully aware that I'm too longwinded and I have no patience.

• Like 4

I'm glad you got your two hikes in for the weekend, and that your son joined you.

Here we also have different names for walking, or walking with a backpack, depending on number of days or distance. Anything just walking without a backpack/day pack on your back, is just that... walking. Doesn't matter whether it is in a forest, on a sidewalk, on a farm road... it's walking.

As soon as you have something on your back and you are carrying things in it, be it food, water, jacket, weights, it becomes a day hike, preferably 3km+ in distance. Anything that is more than one day, and you have to sleep over somewhere is a hike, but that can literally be a day hike on two consecutive days. For example the hike we planned with the boys last year (and kept being cancelled), which was going to be 5+km one way, sleep over in the cave, then walk back the next day, all with their own backpacks with sleeping bags, etc.

I feel you on your B.I.L. 89miles is a terribly impressive amount of hiking. Doesn't matter what he says. He can't do it now, no matter what he could do 20+ years ago.

• Like 1

ty for saying that.

truth is Today I feel Down.  Yesterday I went climbing and I think I am NOT improving.  I have a few challenges that I keep working on and failing.  its discouraging when 8-9 year old kids can do something I can't.  (one 9 year old can do Now ALL the climbs at my rock wall)...  and the point is I doubled down on climbing.

I'm going twice a week.

also, I have a new losing streak in chess.  this is A more Recent development and Might have something to do with a massive Puzzle that my daughter bought- its taken all our attention.  its a picture of star war and has 2000 peices.  its a monumental effort to put together and has entranced me, my wife and my duaghter... so I like it and all- its addicting.

but again the same feeling - the feeling of being plateau'd and losing ground in things I want to do.  the feeling of NOT improving despite efforts.

it even hurt my piano a little...

so Yes. I'm down.

THORNS!  or should I say Brush?

speaking of hiking my favorite type (bushwhacking)  is just to go out in the woods and walk Not following Any trail- get a map and go see stuff- I did that All the time when I was a kid.

but brush, and mountain laurel, Espacially, is my nemesis.  if there's any worse place its on a steep hill surrounded by thick mountain laurel and trying to figure out how to get out of the stuff.  it clings to you and on a rocky hill can block you from your feet to your head.

Mountain+Laurel+%2528m%2529.jpg

by the way its much uglier in the winter, too.....

Winning (in chess) and improving (in climbing) MUST happen.  I have to get over myself; and work systematically to return to making progress on my goals....

• Like 4

Kids can do things so easily 'cause they're kids!  Like I think of all the things I did as a kid that I can't now - gymnastics and handsprings across the yard, serious martial arts feats of strength and bravery, running around all day and not getting tired... but now?  HA!  It is what it is and they have youth on their side. :) 

Your only competition is always yourself, even though that's not always easy to remember.  

Hope the 'meh's pass, that is a real feel.  YOU GOT THIS DUDE, YOU'RE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shaar is totally right, dont beat yourself up, just keep working hard like you are doing each day. You impress me a lot!! Hope your day improves xx

• Like 1

I think life is often like that. At first, as you climb it seems easy, and then it seems like each step is taking forever, and  you aren't getting anywhere. In reality, each step you take is getting you closer, but sometimes it is hard to tell. Plateau's can be frustrating. One of the trainers at GMB reminded me that even if it doesn't seem like I'm progressing, every time I try I am learning something new(even if it's what doesn't work:friendly_wink:)

• Like 1

I understand that feeling of overwhelming hopelessness all too well; I'm honestly fighting it too right now. But we can both totally do it! One day and step at a time, right? Following along to cheer you on :) (and also I would like to get into long distance hiking like that someday...)

• Like 1

one Step at a time. So absolutely true!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKMM_jrwdULyDMGNqn-7F

Hikes have a problematic side though.  I think on a bitterly cold WINTER WEATHER IS A PIA... PLS GO AWAY kind of month

I have to slog through these emotions.

its kind of funny. for some reason TODAY.  I kind of felt like I had to hear from some of my Nerdfitness friends... and a bunch of people replied

TY!TY!TY!TY!TY!TY!TY!!!!  

I also take solace in the fact that I know many of you are fighting the same fight.  You WANT to get out exercise, have a good life, and geta  goal centered passionate interest in your Goals.

but LIFE can be so unkind to that, too.  Its not easy to make new time for things.  find new energy to slog through exercises that Don't seem to be helping.   but I think we both know that success lies at the Other side of a lot of effort; espacially once you move beyond the Newby stage of whatever you are studying....

Last challenge I tried too hard to do Too much and found that I needed to double down on my morning.  but I fear in this challenge; I'm not looking hardf enough of the importance of LITTLE efforts Regularly!

1-2 times a week does NOT mean much improvement for me in either: piano, chess, OR hiking.

I can do more I MUST do more.  

ha!

stay tuned. I'm gonna rock this challenge- I gonna get over THIS.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPJMB_LQGgEc8DT3bbeHf

• Like 4

this is part of what I needed to read today;

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/trust-the-process

neat site.

thought I'd share it.

... this all started with doing a "neutral style" pullup on Saturday.  first time I did a static pullup in months!  (they have an article about that)

think i am getting stronger in the shoulders.  Correction, REMINDING myself that I am getting stronger....

• Like 3

Yeah!

you Know; I have Not really set up my challenge right.  yes "thorns" but first you have to have a path, or a destination.  I want to learn and improve in chess, piano, hiking, and climbing.  all are important to me.  what I lack is good habits.  Specifically TIME.  

Ironically the longest of the four , hiking, is the easiest.  my wife understands the importance (to me) of hiking.  its also NOT an everyday thing- for the everyday I have time during lunch, or to walk home afterwards. Easy.  I clearly have most of the Hiking time I currently need.

the rest of the program hinges on three times.

7:00 is the end of any Morning time.  Can I push the time I'm awake to earlyish near 6am?  that depends on bedtime and what I HAVEN'T been doing.  actually using the little time here.  I'd get up at 6:45 and half doze for :20!  no , not good.  I need to USE that time.  its my Climbing time cuz I can work on my hands and shoulders without alot of equipment

9:00 is my Chess time.  I've not been clear on when chess is.  When I feel like it?  when my wife relaxes?  some of that is cool but generally it isn't.  it pushes chess around and breeds no discipline.  I study alot one day  - then 6 days later?  whey did I only study 1 day.  9:00pm is MY time, 8 if I can swing it. its important

11:00 is bedtime, maybe a little early if I can.  I need that bedtime so that the morning can be done.  I've been guilty here.  by not establishing a good bedtime I have been pushing sleep insomnia. that might VERY well be the main reason for the losing in chess.  if you're tired and weary....

---

last challenge I worked on the morning and evening, but did nothing with the little time in the morning.  it helped but I was a bad doctor because my prescription wasn't complete enough.  beyond these 3 times is 7 more events per week.   2 climbs (WH)  and 3 piano practices.  they don't fit in the daily time... but this is ok.  I'm actually doing better on these.  i don't practice piano enough- but I have the climbs.

7*3 + 5 = 26.   26 important times.

This is the important things I have to work on.  

I feel like this is an epiphany!  I feel like this is why I'm drifting and doing bad.  its not because I'm unpassionate and failing; on some of the hobbies I'm doing bad on.

I don't have a good daily schedule to put improvement into logical spots during the day.  I'm probably at best a 14,15.  and some of the failures have meant that I have no base of weekly improvement activities to break through these plateaus.

Its nearly the End of my week.  I will do 2ish days of activities as a Zero week of sorts.

I want to get these 3 times in my head!  and do it with my Long term accountabuddies game.

• Like 4