• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Narrowly Avoids the Scorpion Pit

"Drumknott, a cup of tea for my guest, please," said Lord Vetinari. The clerk nodded and wafted silently out the door.

Sara Kingdom looked up groggily from the chair where two large, black-clad, for lack of a better word, "clerks" had deposited her moments before.

Vetinari nodded at the two men who stood behind her. They might, in a dim light, be taken for some smaller, pinker species of troll. "Thank you, gentlemen. You may go," he said. Just as they reached for the door handle, he looked up. "Oh, and Rodney, my best to your wife. A girl, I understand. How lovely. I'm sure she'll be punching the other neighborhood children into insensibility in no time. They do grow up so fast, or so I'm given to understand."

"Yes, sir," mumbled Rodney shyly, his hat suddenly in his hands. "I'll pass it on, sir." He closed the door to the Oblong Office behind them.

Vetinari stared at Sara. "My goodness, Miss Kingdom," he said. "For a few glorious hours, you basked in the glory of success, did you not. And then, you snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. And what a defeat it was."

Sara looked embarrassed. "Uh... yes."

He flipped open the folder labeled "Voluntary Employee Development Scheme (Kingdom, Sara) ", and read.

"Fortunately," he said, "the month has not yet begun. We shall begin again. When Drumknott returns, you shall drink your tea, rest, and set things to rights." Vetinari made a few notes in the file. "Now. Won't that be enjoyable?" he said.

Sara wondered if you could have a sleep failure hangover. Or an attention failure hangover. "Delightful," she said.

Better than hanging upside down in a pit of scorpions, anyway. Probably.

• Like 6

On 2/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I really enjoy the discworld narrative.

I'm glad, cuz it looks like it's gonna stick this challenge. :)

21 hours ago, Kishi said:

Vetinari is such a nice man. He just gets to it in a mean way.

That's actually not a terrible summary of Vetinari...

16 hours ago, Mistr said:

Oh dear, such dire straights. I do hope clerk Sara will escape the scorpion pit in this month's episodes.

I just wonder what I'm supposed to do if she doesn't.

• Like 3

Today's accomplishments:

• Got a decent amount of rest
  • Got to work in time to run my event
  • Finished a major document draft
  • Heckled some co-workers supportively
  • Came home and picked up a room
  • Hydrated sensibly
  • Put away the gallon of yogurt that's been incubating in the food robot
  • Started a computer job running
  • Mixed 5.5 pounds of nussli
  • Put one pound in the bread robot to toast the nuts (it takes longer than the oven, but it means I don't have to heat the whole oven - I'm just gonna go to bed and put it away in the morning anyway)
  • Put away the clean dishes
  • Washed the dishes
  • Shined the sink and stove
  • Made an amazing dinner inspired by Szechuan cumin lamb: cumin, ginger, tons of crushed red pepper, a bunch of pickled garlic, soy sauce, beef, leek, a large radish and its leaves, some pea shoots, and some lemon cilantro on top. All vegetables either from my windowsill pots or from the garden (though not my plot).
  • Dried the laundry
  • Made a fastener for one of my asymmetric scarves, cuz the cold weather is back

There is more on my list, but my computer is telling me it's bedtime, and I have to be in early to observe a workshop. That's not bad for a night, anyway.

Today's needs-improvements:

• Was later to work then I meant to be
  • Was in a crappy emotional place this morning, and not for sensible reasons
  • Will be later to bed than I mean to be, thanks to dinner taking a long time (and getting home late from work)
  • Like 5

Excellent product day!

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Today's accomplishments:

• Came home and picked up a room

I read this and thought "wow, her lifting has gotten really good without her talking about it". Then my brain scrambled to keep up and thought "where did she put it down". By the time I got to third thoughts it made perfect sense.

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

There is more on my list, but my computer is telling me it's bedtime, and I have to be in early to observe a workshop. That's not bad for a night, anyway.

Today's needs-improvements:

• Was later to work then I meant to be
  • Was in a crappy emotional place this morning, and not for sensible reasons
  • Will be later to bed than I mean to be, thanks to dinner taking a long time (and getting home late from work)

You take good notes. I applaud your batch cooking and use of garden resources to make tasty food.

That whole get in late, be grouchy about it, leave work late, get to bed late cycle. At least today is Friday and you can break the pattern for tomorrow.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I really enjoy the discworld narrative.

Seconded.

I have now finished Going Postal and am just getting starting with Witches Abroad

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 11:55 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I have now finished Going Postal and am just getting starting with Witches Abroad

I'm very fond of Witches Abroad. It is some high-grade witch romp content.

Right. Today I moved a stuck needle job, and went to bed basically on time, almost despite myself. See, habit is slowly kicking in. A little. I did not get All The Things done, but, well, I did some things.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:39 AM, Mistr said:

That whole get in late, be grouchy about it, leave work late, get to bed late cycle. At least today is Friday and you can break the pattern for tomorrow. 

Suddenly I have new lifting goals.

I applaud your batch cooking

I've sorted out breakfast, basically. And it looks like the mixing step is the roadblock; with that done, it's easy enough to toast the stuff on demand. (Especially if I use the food robot, and not the oven. Then I don't have to manually mix in the sweetener and the cinnamon, and I don't have to worry about taking it out of the oven or anything. I just come back to it in the morning.)

The lateness leaving was for good reasons, so I don't mind. The grumpiness was far less rational than that. It just was.

• Like 2

Good for you sorting out breakfast. I made sweet potato hash last week and had that for breakfast today. I have one serving left. I will probably go back to yogurt and granola for a few days because no one else is eating the fruit and yogurt I got last week. I don't want to waste food. Plus it saves cooking time. I have soup if the weather turns cold enough that I can't face a cold breakfast.

(But the shuttle driver from work told me I looked awesome and had lost a ton of weight over the past year, which was the right thing to hear on a day when I've been wrestling with the scale.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yay for having someone notice all the hard work you've been doing! :love_heart:

I wouldn't have thought it was all that dramatic; I lost a dress size, and very little of that in the past year. I think she's just not used to seeing me in jeans. But whatevs, I'll take it.

Because I'm sick, I'm going Paleo for the day. I went home early and swung by the butcher and the farmer's market, and got tons of fruit and vegetables, and garlic and ginger, and some meat, and a chicken for soup. I'm going to eat some fruit, hydrate, and cook a ton of food, in case I'm dying the rest of this week. Then I'll rest and try to do stuff.

• Like 2

Sara sat on her bed in a small rented room near the palace, and ate a large bowl of slumpie with actual named meat. (Not much of it, but that's how it went with named meat.) Barnabas Ketch had delivered it, and her, from the palace earlier the day

"Eat it all," he'd said. "Patrician's orders. He wants you well enough to toss to the scorpions without getting them sick. They're hard to replace, he says."

That had probably been a joke. Probably. But the slumpie was good. Everyone knew cabbage was good for what ailed you, and there were little bits of sausage, the spicy kind that cleared the sinuses, and plenty of carrots. And probably a day of rest. That would fix it, surely. Surely?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Because I'm sick, I'm going Paleo for the day. I went home early and swung by the butcher and the farmer's market, and got tons of fruit and vegetables, and garlic and ginger, and some meat, and a chicken for soup. I'm going to eat some fruit, hydrate, and cook a ton of food, in case I'm dying the rest of this week. Then I'll rest and try to do stuff.

That's a lot of ambition from someone who is coming down with something. I hope that the preparation helps make your week better.

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

That's a lot of ambition from someone who is coming down with something. I hope that the preparation helps make your week better.

I didn't reach "doing stuff", but I got the fruit and hydration and the large batch of food. It's very nice having my food robot keep food ready for me 24/7. It's like someone else is making me food.

After a nap, I'll do some cleaning, though.

• Like 4

Today I rested a lot, hydrated, had lots of vitamin C, took care of two big "soft skills" issues at work, did a "stuck needle" job at home, and seem to have got well enough to go back to work. So so in all, a fairly good day, under the circumstances.

• Like 3

I'm well enough for work, apart from a head full of ick. But my boss made me mapo tofu, which I expect will be strong enough to drive most of my head germs into the next county.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm well enough for work, apart from a head full of ick. But my boss made me mapo tofu, which I expect will be strong enough to drive most of my head germs into the next county.

Heads filled with ick are not fun, but glad you're functional at least!

Also I'm now curious and fearful about finding out what mapo tofu is.

6 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Also I'm now curious and fearful about finding out what mapo tofu is. 

You live in Boston, you're not allowed not to know. Go find your nearest Szechuan place, which is probably Mary Chung's if you're near Harvard, and go order mapo tofu. And a large pitcher of water. And despite the name, not for vegetarians. The tofu is the vegetable in the dish.