• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

Outrunning my fork. Doing a half-Marathon every day.

Welcome to my Challenge thread.  I'm not new to NF.   If you're a Level 1, then I'm your Guild Leader.  My 4 Week Challenge is posted in this Level 1 subforum in the hope that seeing how I format and organize my Challenge might help give you ideas for your own.  What I hope you'll take away from reading my Challenge is how straight-forward my Main Quest is, and how my Support Quests are directly aimed at helping me make progress on my Main Quest. 

There's great power in simplicity.

giphy.gif

My Main Quest presently is to...

• Drop bodyfat.  At least 1 lb per week.

My Support Quests for this challenge

1. Keep getting on the treadmill daily.  For a minimum half-marathon (13.1 miles, 21.1 km) every day.
  2. Eat no more than 1800 calories daily.  (I'm tracking via MyFitnessPal).

About Me

My Muggle name is Chris.  I'm a 41 yr old sort-of-retired guy happily at home being the primary caregiver for my two-and-three-quarters year old daughter.  Which is the Best. Job. Ever.  The pay is non-existent, but the benefit package is fantastic and calls me "Daddy."  Which is the most awesome word that's ever been invented, and if you disagree, then dishonor on your cow.

ColorlessEnragedHarvestmouse-size_restri

My recent(ish) fitness journey:

For eight months, I did a Walk to Mordor, walking the 1700+ miles it's estimated Frodo and Sam walked from Hobbiton to Mt. Doom.  It started off slow, just a couple of miles a day, but as my feet toughened up all Hobbity-like I was able to put in more and more daily distance.  That Walk to Mordor became the foundation upon which I've been building up to what I'm doing now.

My daughter still slept most of the day back during my Walk to Mordor, which gave me a lot of time to walk.  But as she's gotten older, she sleeps less during the day.  When she's awake, my focus is on her.  Which means as she's gotten older, I've had less and less time for exercising.  In order to get those wonderful calorie-burning miles done with less time, I've had to do them faster.  To do that, I transitioned from walking to doing jog/walk intervals.

I use an iPad to watch videos while on my treadmill, which keeps me from getting bored.  I also entertain myself by doing curls and overhead presses with dumbbells during the walk intervals.   Which makes me kinda feel like I'm in an action video game, doing my 'attack moves' while on the go.

06b423af667f03da682964da1db60edb.gif

Keeping the nerd in Nerd Fitness. 

Any questions?

• Like 4

20km/day. My brain is conflicted in which response is more appropriate here. :highly_amused:

Out of curiosity, which recovery strategies will you focus on to ensure that you don't run yourself down?

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I struggle to get in enough steps to get to 5k a day and you're over here getting in 1/2 marathons...

following because I want to be like you when I grow up (even though I've got a few years on you :lol: )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Defining said:

Out of curiosity, which recovery strategies will you focus on to ensure that you don't run yourself down?

I've experienced that as long as I keep my max speed pretty slow (on both the jogging and walking intervals), recovery hasn't really been an issue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RES said:

I struggle to get in enough steps to get to 5k a day

I did too, once upon a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

I've experienced that as long as I keep my max speed pretty slow (on both the jogging and walking intervals), recovery hasn't really been an issue.

Fair enough! I remember back in my hiking days that once I had built up my wind, anything under 35km/day of relatively flat terrain was pretty easy. I kinda like the idea of getting back to those distances - using your own work as an example, maybe I should dust off my walking desk again...

• Like 2

Weekly

Progress Report

Review of Support Quests

Did I eat less than 1800 calories daily?

• Yes.

Did I do a half-Marathon (13.11 miles, 21.1 km) every day?

• Yes.  I completed 7 half-marathons in 7 days.   I think I can probably claim having a level or two of Scout class now.  :lol:.

Review of MAIN QUEST

Did I drop at least 1 lb for the week?

• Yes.  :encouragement:.  I dropped 4.8 lbs.  

• Like 5

On 2/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, Hazard said:

I think I can probably claim having a level or two of Scout class now.  :lol:.

I think you could proclaim yourself king of the scouts, and it would be hard to argue with you. I am in awe of your consistency.

• Like 1

Weekly

Progress Report

Review of Support Quests

• No.  We spent several days this week celebrating the Holiday of Sugar & Snuggles.  

Did I do a half-Marathon every day?

• No.  I only did a brief 5k (3.1 mi) on Friday, and then we left the house and spent all day out and about having fun.  I sort of made up for it on Saturday though by doing 19 miles (30k).

Review of MAIN QUEST

• No.  I actually gained 1 lb.
    • However.  I've also been taking a waist measurement.  I lost 4/10ths of an inch off my waist this week.  Regardless of what I weighed, bodyfat was lost.  My supposition is the bump in scale weight was caused by extra Holiday food adding some glycogen+water back into my cells.

• Like 1

Achievement Unlocked!

I just jogged my half-marathon for the day non-stop!  No breaks, no pauses, no walking!   A completely jogged half-marathon!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

On 2/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, Hazard said:

I just jogged my half-marathon for the day non-stop!  No breaks, no pauses, no walking!   A completely jogged half-marathon!

Way to go :D

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 4:56 AM, Waanie said:

Way to go :D

Hey!  Nice to see a long lost NF rebel back again.  :applause:

Weekly

Progress Report

Review of Support Quests

• Probably not.  I didn't actually count my calories most of this week.   So I dunno.  :confused:

Did I do a half-Marathon every day?

• No.   And I'm somewhat disappointed in myself for not getting them all done this week.    A couple of posts ago I mentioned fully jogging a half-Marathon on Monday.   That wasn't planned.  But I started off my daily HM at a jog, and just kept on jogging.  I almost slowed to a walk around mile 9-10, but by then I was only a few miles away from jogging the whole thing I decided to go ahead and see if I had built up the stamina and willpower to finish it out.  Much to my surprise, and joy, I did!    But.  Tuesday I only did a single walked mile.  I wasn't sore.  I was just drained.  I'm sure I could have gotten the miles in.  I may have had to walk a lot, maybe split the full mileage up into smaller portions tackled throughout the day.  But I probably could have gotten them done.  I just didn't summon the strength of will to do it.  Then, on Wednesday, I still felt pretty drained, and only did 6 miles.   On Thursday I was able to mentally push through the fatigue barrier and do the full mileage (in my usual jog/walk intervals), getting myself back on track and progressing my journey.   
    • While fully jogging the half-Marathon on Monday was awesome, and I'm glad I did it (because now I know I can), my body treated it like the Boss Battle that it truly was.  I won that battle, but I took a licking 

Review of MAIN QUEST

• Yes!  I failed myself a bit on both of my Support Quests this week, but I managed to drop 1.6 lbs anyway.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Running the half-marathon on Monday was very impressive, it is no wonder that your body needed a few days to recover. I'm glad you could start on the 21km on Thursday again, doing that every day is massive!

Also congratulations on the weight loss :).

• Thanks 1

Weekly

Progress Report

Review of Support Quests

• No.  I overshot my calorie goal on 5 out of 7 days.

Did I do a half-Marathon (13.11 miles, 21.1 km) every day?

• Yes.

Review of MAIN QUEST

• Yes.  I dropped 2.0 lbs.    

Glimpse at the Bigger Picture

I noticed on the calendar that I'm exactly two months into this Cut.  Seems like a good time for a quick review of my longer-term progress.   Over these two months, I've dropped a total of 26.6 lbs.  And on the measuring tape, that's come out to 4.5 inches off my waist.   What I've been doing has been hard.  But it's paying off.  :).

• Like 2

I'm itching to make some changes, and I've already completed 4 weeks of this, so I'm calling this challenge done for me.   I'll post a final challenge review soonish.

• Like 3

-------------------------------------

End of Challenge Review

--------------------------------------

My Main Quest was to . . .

• Drop bodyfat.  At least 1 lb per week.

How did I do?

• I succeeded for 3 out of 4 weeks.  I gained a pound on Week 2, so not a complete success.   But I dropped a net 7.4 lbs total, which is nice.

And, I did a half-Marathon on 25 out of 28 days!  Holy crap on a stick.  I really did it.  :o

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done man. That's really impressive and a lot of hard work.

Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Waanie said:

Good job! Are you going to keep up the mileage, or back down a bit now that you know you can do it?

Thank you, too.    And right on point with your question.  It's something I've been asking myself. 

I'm definitely going to back down on the mileage.  I've been having to get up very early in the morning to get these half-Marathons in before my daughter wakes up.  I've been persistently sleep-deprived for this entire challenge.  Only 5-6 hours of sleep most nights.   That was fine for a short-term challenge.  But it can't continue.  I have to make some changes so that I can get better sleep.

I think I'll do my brainstorming publicly this time.  I'll talk through my thought process and plan out my next challenge in another post here.  Maybe later today.

• Like 2