• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zaethe

Dalish Eats Some Frogs

2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Jesus Christ. That's about $500 US and that hurts my soul. If I had that much to drop on a pool membership I'd be in the best shape ever. 

Word. Pretty sure most of my recipes avoid a lot of those things. (I hate tofu, so I will be the world's worst vegan when I eventually get there.) 

So one of my favorite things that I somehow forgot existed is stupid simple. From here. It talks about clean eating and detox stuff fyi, in case that's a trigger. They don't give amounts for things, but here's the recipe so you don't have to go to the site if you don't want to: 

Lentils and Quinoa with Mint and Lemon: Sauté chopped red onion, minced garlic, celery, and red bell pepper in extra virgin olive oil until tender. Add lentils (vacuum sealed or canned, rinsed, and drained are both fine) to heat through. Serve over a small scoop of cooked quinoa and garnish with fresh mint and juice from a fresh lemon wedge.

I'll dig for other stuff. I have no idea what I've actually got bookmarked because I tend to open a million links and bookmark them without looking. And of course there's no organization. Here's a definitely not vegan recipe for spicy pineapple chili. I haven't made it but it looks good lol. 

Those both look super good!  Thanks!  Definitely going to have to try out that quinoa, I love quinoa and couscous, it's like fancy rice and I'm all about the fancy :P 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dalish said:

Those both look super good!  Thanks!  Definitely going to have to try out that quinoa, I love quinoa and couscous, it's like fancy rice and I'm all about the fancy :P 

Oh man I have a million things bookmarked with couscous or quinoa. If you know a way to share things that's easier than just cutting and pasting a ton of links (and also not pinterest because fuck that) lmk and I will dump everything on you haha. 

This Moroccan Spiced Couscous is fucking delicious. Dude in the link copied it from my favorite cookbook. If you're interested in vegan shit and don't mind cursing, the Thug Kitchen books are hilarious and full of tasty things. But anyway. Couscous. I made it with some baked chicken thighs (no recipe, just asked google how) and it was so tasty. 

Damn. Now I really want to get my shit together and start making some of these things. How dare you be a good influence on me. D:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Oh man I have a million things bookmarked with couscous or quinoa. If you know a way to share things that's easier than just cutting and pasting a ton of links (and also not pinterest because fuck that) lmk and I will dump everything on you haha. 

This Moroccan Spiced Couscous is fucking delicious. Dude in the link copied it from my favorite cookbook. If you're interested in vegan shit and don't mind cursing, the Thug Kitchen books are hilarious and full of tasty things. But anyway. Couscous. I made it with some baked chicken thighs (no recipe, just asked google how) and it was so tasty. 

Damn. Now I really want to get my shit together and start making some of these things. How dare you be a good influence on me. D:

Haha to looks so good!  And I cuss like a sailor on shore leave so that's not an issue for me :P 

Honestly I don't know a better way than dumping every link lol, or I would totally be on that.

Woo for influences!  You should absolutely do it!  We could make it a thing, pick a recipe a week, make it, share photos and review it, and build our own collection of tasty recipes each!

• Like 2

Also cous cous by itself is REALLY easy, bring 1/2 a cup of stock/water to a boil (I like stock for better flavour), turn off the heat, stir in 1/2 a cup of cous cous, cover, let it sit for 3-4 minutes.  Use a fork to stir in a teaspon of butter/coconut oil and break up the couscous.  DONE

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dalish said:

Haha to looks so good!  And I cuss like a sailor on shore leave so that's not an issue for me :P 

Honestly I don't know a better way than dumping every link lol, or I would totally be on that.

I kinda figured it was a requirement if you're in Australia, but I never want to assume lol. Definitely look to see if you can find the Thug Kitchen books where you are then. The first book is literally called "Eat Like You Give a Fuck." 

Give me a couple days to sort through all my bookmarks and I'll share them. :) I just now decided I'm going to try to get them all in a google doc to organize better, so that will make it easier for sharing AND I'll actually know what's there lol. So many times in the past I've hunted in vain for something I distinctly remember saving. 

Woo for influences!  You should absolutely do it!  We could make it a thing, pick a recipe a week, make it, share photos and review it, and build our own collection of tasty recipes each!

My actual reaction when I read this: Yeah, that's a great idea! Wait, that means I actually have to participate. Fuuuuuuck. 

Fuck it. I'm in. Gotta have some good news for my therapist once in a while, right? lol. Clarification: for some reason my brain decided we'd each be doing the same recipe the same week, but that doesn't quite make sense. Different recipes, right? 

5 minutes ago, Dalish said:

Also cous cous by itself is REALLY easy, bring 1/2 a cup of stock/water to a boil (I like stock for better flavour), turn off the heat, stir in 1/2 a cup of cous cous, cover, let it sit for 3-4 minutes.  Use a fork to stir in a teaspon of butter/coconut oil and break up the couscous.  DONE

Yeah, the first time I made it I was like "wait... that's it?" My problem is less "wahhhh food is hard" and more the fact that I have PTSD and one of my major triggers is cooking. >> So the whole process becomes a struggle. On that note, expect me to be picking super simple recipes every week and not the crazy ones that have a million steps and a hundred ingredients. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

I kinda figured it was a requirement if you're in Australia, but I never want to assume lol. Definitely look to see if you can find the Thug Kitchen books where you are then. The first book is literally called "Eat Like You Give a Fuck." 

Give me a couple days to sort through all my bookmarks and I'll share them. :) I just now decided I'm going to try to get them all in a google doc to organize better, so that will make it easier for sharing AND I'll actually know what's there lol. So many times in the past I've hunted in vain for something I distinctly remember saving. 

My actual reaction when I read this: Yeah, that's a great idea! Wait, that means I actually have to participate. Fuuuuuuck. 

Fuck it. I'm in. Gotta have some good news for my therapist once in a while, right? lol. Clarification: for some reason my brain decided we'd each be doing the same recipe the same week, but that doesn't quite make sense. Different recipes, right? 

Yeah, the first time I made it I was like "wait... that's it?" My problem is less "wahhhh food is hard" and more the fact that I have PTSD and one of my major triggers is cooking. >> So the whole process becomes a struggle. On that note, expect me to be picking super simple recipes every week and not the crazy ones that have a million steps and a hundred ingredients. 

Woo!  And yay for good new for your therapist!  We can do the same recipe or different ones, I'm totally down for it either way!  We can support and encourage getting out of the comfort zone a bit recipes-wise, and discover new things along the way.

And absolutely nothing wrong with super simple!  I think we should just make the requirements "healthy" and "something we want to make", and leave the rest completely free choice.  That way we're not feeling restricted about it and pressured into pushing ourselves too much.

• Like 2

Woo!  And yay for good new for your therapist!  We can do the same recipe or different ones, I'm totally down for it either way!  We can support and encourage getting out of the comfort zone a bit recipes-wise, and discover new things along the way.

And absolutely nothing wrong with super simple!  I think we should just make the requirements "healthy" and "something we want to make", and leave the rest completely free choice.  That way we're not feeling restricted about it and pressured into pushing ourselves too much.

Word! I'm gonna vote for different ones because I know I'll start comparing mine to yours if we do the same, and that's the opposite of supportive and encouraging lol. I'd never say anything, obviously, but I'd totally sulk if yours looked better or something. 

Yessss I like this. I have a problem with setting arbitrary rules for myself as to whether things are worth making, so I can get behind two simple guidelines. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Word! I'm gonna vote for different ones because I know I'll start comparing mine to yours if we do the same, and that's the opposite of supportive and encouraging lol. I'd never say anything, obviously, but I'd totally sulk if yours looked better or something. 

Yessss I like this. I have a problem with setting arbitrary rules for myself as to whether things are worth making, so I can get behind two simple guidelines. :)

I do exactly the same thing on both counts!  If it's not instagram worthy (which it never is) I get quietly pouty, and I get caught up in the "It's too simple to be an actual meal" trap too.  Keeping it simple will do us both the world of good!

• Like 2

Today is the dawn of new things.  I dunno, I woke up with that kind of vibe flowing today and I'm rolling with it.

Not in the least part because after yesterday chatting with @fleaball I called the local pool and they have a WEEKLY payment plan.  $11 a week is DOABLE!  So I'm gonna make that happen real soon.  I'm excited about getting back in the water.

The rest of today, who knows what's gonna happen, but I've got some positive vibes going and I'm not gonna poke at them too hard.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

YES!! That’s fantastic!! I’m so excited for you :) 

It's your fault!  :)  seems like we're providing some mutual good influencing here.

I'm just waiting for my swimsuit I just ordered to arrive so I can make sure it fits, and then I'll be signing up.  No sense paying a membership I can't yet use!

• Like 2

I'm home from some volunteer work and all in all I feel pretty okay.  Not amazing, but physical pain tends to put a bit of a dull edge on those feels, and my knees are super mad at me so that's to be expected.

But all in all I feel good, I'm looking forward to making something tasty and healthy tonight, though I have no idea what that will be yet.  I've got like an hour to figure it out though so no stress.

• Like 3

High five, we can do this! 

Edit: also, for the record, I have eaten frog (legs) before and they taste like chicken. So it's easier than it sounds.
Wow

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

While the calorie intake is not salvageable, the day's mood has been salvaged via a quick chat with my fwb, and an impromptu solo dance party in my living room to some Rusted Root and Toto.

Following

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dalish said:

I'm home from some volunteer work and all in all I feel pretty okay.  Not amazing, but physical pain tends to put a bit of a dull edge on those feels, and my knees are super mad at me so that's to be expected.

But all in all I feel good, I'm looking forward to making something tasty and healthy tonight, though I have no idea what that will be yet.  I've got like an hour to figure it out though so no stress.

I cant wait to hear about it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dalish said:

It was delicious!  After talking about couscous so much I had to have some!

Dude... yum!

i am not a couscous fan but reading yours and fleas conversation, it’s on my next grocery list 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dalish said:

It's your fault!  :)  seems like we're providing some mutual good influencing here.

I'm just waiting for my swimsuit I just ordered to arrive so I can make sure it fits, and then I'll be signing up.  No sense paying a membership I can't yet use!

Woot woot! Ps my therapist thinks the recipe thing is a fab idea. She also laughed at me when I said I agreed just so I'd have good news for her. 

• Like 2

In a sad moment of sadness, my hopes that a size under what I usually buy would fit are dashed.  So now I have to buy another swimsuit, at a far higher price because the last one was on sale, and wait for that to get here.  Reasons why I can't stay this fat anymore.

In positive news, I bought stuff to meal prep lunches, and fruit to put on oatmeal in the mornings.  Baby steps.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dalish said:

In a sad moment of sadness, my hopes that a size under what I usually buy would fit are dashed.  So now I have to buy another swimsuit, at a far higher price because the last one was on sale, and wait for that to get here.  Reasons why I can't stay this fat anymore.

In positive news, I bought stuff to meal prep lunches, and fruit to put on oatmeal in the mornings.  Baby steps.

Can you just exchange it for the next size up?

• Like 1

Last day of mandatory volunteering!

giphy.gif

As much as I enjoy being out of the house, it's a 40 min drive each way to sit in an uncomfortable seat and check old newspaper transcripts for spelling errors.  For six hours.  I'm gonna be glad to finish.

Then tonight I'm picking up groceries, and then picking a new recipe for the next week.  Busy day!

• Like 3

Last day has arrived and already pretty much passed, I guess I should review!

All in all, it's not been the greatest challenge.  I've not tracked anything for a week and a half, and I've definitely not been moving as much as I could be.  I also trailed off of the forums as well, as I tend to do.  I need to be more present and mindful about this.  I'm making steps in the right direction with adopting a healthier lifestyle overall, but I'm not developing any really productive routine, which is something I really want to have.

This coming week has some productive things happening which are going to have a positive impact going forward, but the best way to really maximise the effectiveness of those things is to really set up a routine and just stick to it.  So next challenge will likely still be focused in similar directions, changes to produce a productive routine.  I've got some ideas on what I'm gonna do for that, so I'm gonna think on it a little and settle my priorities, break down my goals and apply them.

• Like 2

You are not the only one who disappeared from the forums toward the end. (*waves hand*). Hopefully this week goes better. I will be watching to see your new challenge.