• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak clears a boss fight

1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

It's also a matter of skin tone, not just pale or dark shades. I'm pale with cool undertones (Look at the veins in your wrist in good light. Blue = cool toned skin.Greenish = warm toned skin)So any powder or cream with a golden or bronze undertone looks yellow or orange on me.

I've never been able to figure that warm cool thing out as it applies to me. Cool foundations look too pink on me, warm ones too yellow. I think maybe I'm neutral or a touch warm. I used to think I was cool because liquid foundations would turn orange on me after a minute (not immediately). I now think it's a skin chemistry reaction, not my colour. I'm happy with my mac powder in their N3. 

Skin chemistry is definitely a factor. And if you want to get specific, I am cool, leaning towards neutral.

Foundations oxidize once they leave the bottle, so it s chemical reaction partly to your skin, and partly just to being exposed to air. That's what makes them change color and turn towards an orange cast. How bright orange depends on your skin tone, share, and the rest of your coloring. A part of that can be avoided just from buying a foundation that doesn't oxidize. The price tag is not an indicator of whether it will oxidize or not!

Time to wrap up Zero Week:

I didn't really try to meet any of my challenges, because the week between challenge periods is when I relax and take a break from making demands on myself. I have continued to meditate, and to go to the gym. Walking with Sidekick has been an infrequent occurrence, partly due to cold weather, and partly because of horrific lack of sleep. It was largely self inflicted so I'm not worried about it, and it should be easy to correct once Week One is underway. It also gave me a useful reminder of why sleep is so important, that I hope I will be smart enough to benefit from.

Increase in happiness factor:

In keeping with the principles of Unfuck Your Habitat, I have been doing little things here and there, continuously, to make my habitat more pleasant. Today, I finished the work clothes portion. Things I never use have gone into a black bag marked for donation, things that don't fit followed them into the bag, replacement items have been purchased. I have, for the first time in a long time, reached that zen-like state of bliss where I confidently can say that any one of the five pairs of work pants in my closet fits me. The aggravation of having to go through eleven pairs to find one of the three that fits, is officially a thing of the past. (Self-Indulgence wanted me to buy two pairs of grey slacks, in additional to the two black ones, I purchased today since more than 80% of my work tops are black. I firmly told her no, since wearing all black makes us like a ninja, but stealthily in a way that no one can tell, which makes us more ninja-ish, which is awesome. And on days when we don't feel like being ninjas, wearing all black makes us goth, which is even better.)

I fed Self-Indulgence a special treat by going to have my hair done and colored earlier today. After that we went to The Holy Temple of Self-Indulgence, more commonly know as Sephora. This is one of the places where she is at her strongest, but today she barely made any demands at all, she just sulked quietly. I purchased two small things, both of which I actually need, and that was it. (This is a new personal record for a Sephora visit!) Self-Indulgence was upset and pouty that I refused to buy more stuff just because it was shiny, but I ignored her and went to check out. At the checkout, the employee behind the counter reminded me that since my birthday is this month, I get my pick of either a small handful of make-up samplers, or a couple of skin care samplers, and I also had enough Insider Points for a small free gift on top of that. Self-Indulgence is now very happy with her free stuff, and doesn't care what I do for the rest of the day, because she has free Drunk Elephant products.

My plan for keeping Self-Indulgence under control is progressing very nicely. :devilish:

• Like 6

This all sounds delightfully relaxed and successful. 

51 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

wearing all black makes us like a ninja, but stealthily in a way that no one can tell, which makes us more ninja-ish, which is awesome. 

That's like, meta-ninja.

52 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Self-Indulgence was upset and pouty that I refused to buy more stuff just because it was shiny

...I have so many lipsticks that don't suit me. They're tempting because they're so small and neat. And because they're small it seems harmless to get another one. But it's just silly and wasteful if I don't use them. 

55 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

A part of that can be avoided just from buying a foundation that doesn't oxidize. The price tag is not an indicator of whether it will oxidize or not!

Indeed, I have tried cheaper and more expensive ones. Finding a non-oxidising one in the right shade was a real trial. I think I like my powder foundation better, anyway, because it feels like I'm not wearing anything and it doesn't slide around or look slick in warm weather.

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

This all sounds delightfully relaxed and successful. 

It was. To top off my good day with even more goodness, I'm going to the gym as soon as my laundry is ready for the dryer. 

Today has been a good day. :) 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 2:16 PM, scalyfreak said:

Self-Indulgence has not technically been defeated. She has been bribed and coerced to stop attacking me for as long as I feed her skin care products, hair care products, and colorful makeup. But it still counts as a big win, because as long as I keep feeding her these things, the threat she used to present is gone. Gone, gone, gone!

Yay for this.

I once fed my self indulgence colorful makeup, but I think it didn't like that too much.

Video games, though. 

On 2/7/2019 at 12:01 AM, scalyfreak said:

I hate people. I especially hate loud, self-centered, inconsiderate people.

My gym has three of these along the edge of the free weights area:

h_500

See how the barbell rack part is all yellow? It's on hinges so you can tilt it forward and unrack straight up, instead of up and forward if you want. I don't, because I like unracking the way my lifting form videos on YouTube have shown me (I'm weird like that).

On the bench next to mine two loud and obnoxious gym bros of the worst kind are taking turns. They talk loudly and walk around near the benches between sets, and fail to realize they are distracting everyone, and occasionally getting in the way of someone doing walking lunges, or in the way of the guy on the third bench behind them, who is trying to focus on his own chest press.

So. I'm just about to start my second working set. I've set my feet, I've set my shoulders, gripped the bar firmly and I am just bracing to push the bar upwards when it happens.The third dumb-bro has arrived and they are so happy to see each other that their enthusiastic bro-hug greetings bump the end of my barbell. Hard. The only reason I didn't end up with 80 pounds of weighted barbell on my chest or throat was that hinge-thingie on the bench. The entire yellow part followed the bar and fell forward (clanking very loudly!) and thankfully held on to the barbell the entire time. 

They made some token attempt to apologize and I glared and refused to say a word, and avoided them and refused to let a pretty scary event ruin my workout. And now I'm home and no longer focusing on working out, and as a result I have thoroughly freaked myself out about what could have happened if they had bumped into the bar even one second later than they did.

Did I mention I hate people? Especially these kinds of people.

*grumble grumble* that's annoying. Let's hope it doesn't shake you too bad for your next session. 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, Harriet said:

Oof. That's scary. Glad you're okay. 

Yesterday I was doing my rows behind a guy who was squatting outside the rack - he was lifting off from the hooks that I usually use for the OHP.  The gym is big, but full, and it's normal for people doing rows or deadlifts to set up one or two feet behind the rack. Squatter had just enough space and knew I was there. As the squatter was backing out with his heavy weight, another guy walked in between me and the squatter to get to the water fountain. He got really close to the squatter who was still walking backwards. I said "Oh for God's sake" (an automatism, no offence to the spirits) and although he had earphones I think he saw my face. He walked behind me on his way back. But had he been earphone-free and had I not had my hands full I would have given him a short lecture. I find that people actually respond really well to a firm but gentle explanation of how what they're doing negatively affects me/others. Whereas if I just get angry then people get defensive and become motivated to justify/deny their behaviour.

ok but... it's a squat rack. you squat in the squat rack.... am I missing something?

On 2/9/2019 at 10:52 AM, scalyfreak said:

It's also a matter of skin tone, not just pale or dark shades. I'm pale with cool undertones (Look at the veins in your wrist in good light. Blue = cool toned skin.Greenish = warm toned skin)So any powder or cream with a golden or bronze undertone looks yellow or orange on me.

Did not know this. Thanks!

Also, what does it mean if they look purple? Am I actually a zombie now?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BardicGarlic said:

I once fed my self indulgence colorful makeup, but I think it didn't like that too much.

Video games, though. 

Personal demons are, well, personal. We each must find what works best for us. The trick is to feed it small things, frequently enough that it stays content and never goes into full-on attack mode.

53 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

*grumble grumble* that's annoying. Let's hope it doesn't shake you too bad for your next session. 

ok but... it's a squat rack. you squat in the squat rack.... am I missing something?

I'm guessing the rack looks something like this?

?format=1500w

Each rack can accommodate two lifters, but there are obvioulsy no safety bars for squatting. My gym has two of these next to each other, but with a lot more space in the middle between the lifters. In that space, there's a TRX on one rack and rings on the other, and there are pull-up bars as well. On the opposite end of the weight floor, there are two traditional squat racks, which obviously are my preference for lifting, but I have been know to do my entire workout at this type of rack, if both the squat racks are taken. Where these two are, one of the lifters will stand with their back to the long path-area for external walks and floor exercises, so yes, people can get in your way if you don't check before walking out for your squat, and if "people" are not careful.

I finished my set, and the set after the near-accident on the bench, so I think I will be fine. I will find out tomorrow evening when it is time to go back to the bench...

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

No, but your are starting ot show signs of vampirism. :P 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

He wasn't squatting in the rack. My gym has about seven of those square tower things, like Scaly said. There's a bar inside the square, with safety pins. But there's also hooks and a bar behind the square (where I usually do my ohp). That's where the wobbly squatter was squatting. I was a couple of feet behind him with my bar (that's the protocol in my gym, everyone takes bars out of the rack and sets up rows and deadlifts behind it on the floor....sometimes on busy days there are two rows of deadlifters). There was lots of space to walk behind me. But a fool decided to walk through the two-foot corridor between my deadlift and the wobbly squatter, who was walking backwards with a weight he couldn't control very well. In my opinion he ought to have been squatting inside the square with the safeties, but hey. 

3 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Did not know this. Thanks!

It means cool :)
ETA By cool I mean pink toned rather than yellow toned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

It means cool :)
ETA By cool I mean pink toned rather than yellow toned. 

That's what I said! Vampires are cool. :P

• Haha 4

I kind of forgot to set a goal for myself of posting scaly creatures, so I have decided that I will instead post random videos of songs I really enjoy, performed by bands that radiate the sheer joy of music that I occasionally miss so much. We will begin with this live recording of a real life Valkyrie, dual classing as Siren, while rocking an unusually good looking battle skirt (@Harriet! Inspiration!), and a seriously blood chilling banshee wail near the end:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

In my opinion he ought to have been squatting inside the square with the safeties, but hey. 

This was the point I was attempting to make.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

This was the point I was attempting to make.

Oh, right, sorry. Yeah, people regularly do silly things at my gym. I don't think it would go down very well if I offered unsolicited advice, so I mostly keep quiet. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, right, sorry. Yeah, people regularly do silly things at my the gym.

There, fixed that for you :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time for some Week 1 quest updates!

1. Physical Stress Management

1a. Walk with Happy Sidekick every day.

This would have happened a lot more often if the weather had been less annoying. While I do not live anywhere near a certain polar vortex (thankfully!) it has been unusually cold in the mornings, for this area. It didn't help that the coldest mornings had biting winds, and the least cold mornings had rain. I persevered against the weather to the best of my abilities, and have learned the hard way that my beloved snow boots, who have served me faithfully for over a decade, no longer have the power to kep the winter away from my feet. My left sock was wet after the rainy walk this morning. Farewell, boots. :(

1b. Go to the gym when I am scheduled to go to the gym.

Last week, something came up and I did not get to the gym on Tuesday, like normal. So I went on Wednesday evening, and that was how an unfortunate infestation of dumb-bros almost led to a scary accident. So this week I made sure to go on Tuesday, since I've never seen that particular group at the gym on Tuesdays. By coincidence, the only bench available was the exact same one, so I claimed it and started my lifting. Loaded the bar with more weight than last week just to show the bench I wasn't scared of it, and ended up setting a new chest press PR, which made me happy

On the subject of PRs: My deadlift has stalled out at the 155-160 lbs range, and it's all because my grip on the bar slips. Not from a lack of grip strength, I have that covered, but my hands become too sweaty and the bar literally slips out of them. I don't know why it doesn't happen at the lighter weight, but it's annoying and also seems like it could be unsafe. I'm looking for recommendations of liquid chalk, because I think that will take care of it. Because I have eczema, it needs to be a brand that is willing to share their entire ingredients list, so I can avoid irritants that will cause a flare-up. I've been looking online, but want to hear opinions and experiences from other Warriors before buying.

2. Mental Stress Management

2a. Mediate every morning.

Bad sleep habits have led to a breakdown of morning routines, and meditation has suffered. I think I started to taking the benefits of it so much for granted that I stopped making it a priority, without even realizing it. This needs to change, I can feel the lack of meditation impacting my peace of mind and mental strength in the face of stress triggers.

2b. Continue working towards improving sleep habits.

I started having afternoon coffee again during Zero Week.

3. Happiness factor:

3.a Declutter and tidy the desk in my dragon cave.

3b. Read Harder 2019.

3c. Spec out and pick parts for the new computer build.

3d. Prepare for, and attend, next volunteering event on February 18th. Currently prioritizing this above the other side quests, since I'm lobbying with others from the organization and the team is counting on me to do my part. I will not fail. I will champion my cause.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

On the subject of PRs: My deadlift has stalled out at the 155-160 lbs range, and it's all because my grip on the bar slips. Not from a lack of grip strength, I have that covered, but my hands become too sweaty and the bar literally slips out of them.

Unfortunately I can't recommend a chalk brand as I don't use it but i've noticed this same problem since I started jogging before lifting. when I used to do DLs first thing I didn't have the problem so if that's something you could rearrange you might be able to get on without chalk.

13 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Unfortunately I can't recommend a chalk brand as I don't use it but i've noticed this same problem since I started jogging before lifting. when I used to do DLs first thing I didn't have the problem so if that's something you could rearrange you might be able to get on without chalk.

That is a possible solution as well. I like having the deadlift last, because that lets me go all out and really push myself without having to worry that I won't have anything left in my legs for the OHP, but I will definitely give this some thought.

• Like 1

I claimed it and started my lifting. Loaded the bar with more weight than last week just to show the bench I wasn't scared of it, and ended up setting a new chest press PR, which made me happy

Neato! How much? Wait, is chest press the same as bench press? 

On the subject of PRs: My deadlift has stalled out at the 155-160 lbs range, and it's all because my grip on the bar slips. Not from a lack of grip strength, I have that covered, but my hands become too sweaty and the bar literally slips out of them. I don't know why it doesn't happen at the lighter weight, but it's annoying and also seems like it could be unsafe. I'm looking for recommendations of liquid chalk, because I think that will take care of it. Because I have eczema, it needs to be a brand that is willing to share their entire ingredients list, so I can avoid irritants that will cause a flare-up. I've been looking online, but want to hear opinions and experiences from other Warriors before buying.

I started having trouble holding on the to bar at about bodyweight deadlift. I switched to mixed grip, but even that can feel slippery without chalk. I'm currently using liquid grip and I have no idea if it's good compared to other brands, but it's certainly better than chalk-free hands. It does rub off slightly after the first set, but still seems to work even then. Reapplying isn't ideal because it balls up a little. It has alcohol and fragrance. The full list of ingredients seems to be on their website under about->the product. I'm not sure it would be possible to have a liquid chalk without alcohol though, because it wouldn't dry fast enough. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Neato! How much? Wait, is chest press the same as bench press?

85 lbs. :)

You can chest press with barbell, dumbbells, machine, or whatever else you can get your hands on. In my world, the bench presss is a barbell chest press on a bench with a rack designed for that purpose (see picture in the venting-rant post).

And I will check out the liquid grip, thanks. Alcohol is typically fine for me, but fragrance can be a deal breaker. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

That is a possible solution as well. I like having the deadlift last, because that lets me go all out and really push myself without having to worry that I won't have anything left in my legs for the OHP, but I will definitely give this some thought.

haha! that's exactly why i do them first because i love them so much more than upper body movements and i have no qualms about decreasing those numbers if I gassed myself on DLs. i hope you find something that works!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

85 lbs. :)

:D

13 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

haha! that's exactly why i do them first because i love them so much more than upper body movements and i have no qualms about decreasing those numbers if I gassed myself on DLs. i hope you find something that works!

Me too. Deadlifts before all else. 

• Like 1

Re: liquid chalk - I think @RedStone had a method to DIY her own back in the day - no idea how complicated it was, but it might be an option if you're having trouble buying a brand that meets your specs.

HIGH FIVE on the bench PR!!!! Upper body wins always feel so good when they come.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, miss_marissa said:

Leave me out of it.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, scalyfreak said:

You are a font of information and I learn more every time I read about a skin care thing.

6 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

. I'm looking for recommendations of liquid chalk, because I think that will take care of it. Because I have eczema, it needs to be a brand that is willing to share their entire ingredients list, so I can avoid irritants that will cause a flare-up. I've been looking online, but want to hear opinions and experiences from other Warriors before buying.

I've used several and this is my favorite. https://liquidgrip.com/

I think the ingredients are on their website, but my work firewall has some of the links blocked.

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Try moving OHP to squat day. You are using more core than legs (or you should be) with OHP.