• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak clears a boss fight

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Try moving OHP to squat day. You are using more core than legs (or you should be) with OHP. 

 

Probably. I use the legs for balance more than anything. I will experiment with moving the lifts around... I created my current program several months ago, and I am right now trying to decide between sticking with it and modifying, or switching to a new one.

 

Thanks for the Liquidgrip links. It looks like the one Harriet mentioned as well, and I found the ingredients list in an FAQ on the site. Regrettably, they have fragrance in it, but if I can find it locally it will be easy to return. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Thanks for the Liquidgrip links. It looks like the one Harriet mentioned as well, and I found the ingredients list in an FAQ on the site. Regrettably, they have fragrance in it, but if I can find it locally it will be easy to return. :)

Order it on amazon, they will fully refund it if it causes any sort of problems for you.

 

Alternatively.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2spo1x/make_your_own_liquid_chalk_make_more_gains/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Farewell, boots.

Finding good boots is always a challenge, so it always makes me sad to lose a good pair.  I wish you good hunting in finding a suitable replacement

 

10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Loaded the bar with more weight than last week just to show the bench I wasn't scared of it, and ended up setting a new chest press PR, which made me happy

Nice!  Congratulation on the new PR!  Also, way to show that bench who's boss :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Finding good boots is always a challenge, so it always makes me sad to lose a good pair.  I wish you good hunting in finding a suitable replacement

 

Thank you! Step 1 is finding a recycling solution for my old boots. They served faithfully and deserve better than a landfill (also, they are rubber and plastic and stuff).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, scalyfreak said:

 

Thank you! Step 1 is finding a recycling solution for my old boots. They served faithfully and deserve better than a landfill (also, they are rubber and plastic and stuff).

 

If they're not too beat up, you can always donate them. Also

 

https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/innovation/grind

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/ico

https://www.adidas-group.com/en/sustainability/products/end-of-life/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More quest updates!

 

1. Physical Stress Management

1a. Walk with Happy Sidekick every day.

Braved the cold mornings without my trusty boots.This has created s strong incentive to find good replacement boots, quickly. Self-Indulgence insists that it's her turn to pick boots this time. I told her she can, but only as long as she picks the boots I want. Negotiations are currently at a stale mate.

1b. Go to the gym when I am scheduled to go to the gym.

It's Tuesday, and I have been to the gym. I also went to the gym on Sunday. I did not go to the gym on Thursday or Friday, meaning I missed one out of three scheduled gym events. I have also discovered that I desperately need more gym clothes. I have two pairs of pants and three shirts that I alternate, and I feel like I have to do gym laundry far too often.

 

2. Mental Stress Management

2a. Mediate every morning.

Yes! On weekdays. Failed to meditate on the weekend, but don't feel bad about it. This week I am experimenting with setting my alarm 15 minutes earlier, 5:30 instead of 5:45. Today was the first morning, and it was a good morning. I had time to mediate for 10 minutes instead of 5, which of course is a good thing.

2b. Continue working towards improving sleep habits.

Since this has repeatedly failed to be successful, I am working up a new strategy. Updates to follow.

 

3. Happiness factor:

3.a Declutter and tidy the desk in my dragon cave. 

I am proud to announce that have succeed in keeping the decluttered desk surface decluttered. This may not sound like much, but for a perpetual mess-maker like me, this is actually a big accomplishment. :) 

3b. Read Harder 2019.

3c. Spec out and pick parts for the new computer build.

3d. Prepare for, and attend, next volunteering event on February 18th. QUEST COMPLETE

 

More music! :untroubled:

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

1b. Go to the gym when I am scheduled to go to the gym.

It's Tuesday, and I have been to the gym. I also went to the gym on Sunday. I did not go to the gym on Thursday or Friday, meaning I missed one out of three scheduled gym events. I have also discovered that I desperately need more gym clothes. I have two pairs of pants and three shirts that I alternate, and I feel like I have to do gym laundry far too often.

 

Yay, more lifting armour! 

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

Since this has repeatedly failed to be successful, I am working up a new strategy. Updates to follow.

 

3.a Declutter and tidy the desk in my dragon cave. 

I am proud to announce that have succeed in keeping the decluttered desk surface decluttered. This may not sound like much, but for a perpetual mess-maker like me, this is actually a big accomplishment. :) 

 

 

I am totally a fan of apparently small wins. I'm imagining a layer of tiny habits like grains of sand settling on the bottom of a chasm and building it up, maybe turning into a stone bridge under the weight and heat of newer habits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Self-Indulgence insists that it's her turn to pick boots this time. I told her she can, but only as long as she picks the boots I want. Negotiations are currently at a stale mate.

Question:

How reasonable can Self-indulgence be since y'alls little alliance/easing of tension?

 

If she can be somewhat reasonable, you could let her pick 3 possible replacements (this could be a BIG selling point, she gets 3 choices instead of just one), but they have to meet different parameters (e.g. cost, quality, appearance), and then you decide on one of those 3 choices? (this game can also be used with significant others for the dreaded "What do you want to do/eat/watch" debates. 

 

Basics:

One person picks 3 choices

Other person picks 1 of those 3

Alternate rule "Wildcard:" if can't pick one of those three, the other HAS TO PICK SOMETHING!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, farflight said:

Question:

How reasonable can Self-indulgence be since y'alls little alliance/easing of tension?

 

If she can be somewhat reasonable, you could let her pick 3 possible replacements (this could be a BIG selling point, she gets 3 choices instead of just one), but they have to meet different parameters (e.g. cost, quality, appearance), and then you decide on one of those 3 choices?

 

Self-Indulgence is very reasonable, as long as she gets something out of it. It definitely helps my cause that we had a couple of inches of snow fall overnight. Self-indulgence is now demanding warm and dry boots, very loudly, ever since we stepped out into the snow in our flimsy and insufficient shoes this morning, and has completely stopped talking about the appearance of them. She also seems to think that if I give her a $3 home facial treatment, that makes up for any boots-related disappointment, so I can also bribe her if necessary.

 

I will definitely try the 3-option method the next time she demands candy or dessert! It seems like that could work out well for those arguments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

$3 home facial treatment

...our self-indulgence demons must be of different clans...mine tends to focus on food based rewards...or zelda time..

 

the two food rewards he's placated with are:

1) greek yogurt parfait (greek yogurt, granola, maple syrup

2) reese's taco (flour tortilla, smear of peanut butter (or nutella), and some raisins or chocolate chips)

 

I think my self-indulgence would be ticked with a facial treatment

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, farflight said:

...our self-indulgence demons must be of different clans...mine tends to focus on food based rewards...or zelda time..

 

the two food rewards he's placated with are:

1) greek yogurt parfait (greek yogurt, granola, maple syrup

2) reese's taco (flour tortilla, smear of peanut butter (or nutella), and some raisins or chocolate chips)

Try a nutella and banana quesadilla. 

 

13 minutes ago, farflight said:

I think my self-indulgence would be ticked with a facial treatment

TWSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Try a nutella and banana quesadilla. 

 

TWSS

banana sounds good in theory...I just never have bananas in the house. Some how the ones at aldi ONLY ripen when I'm at work and are spoiled by the time I get home.

 

Also, not sure what "TWSS" means ohhh I see what you did there.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, farflight said:

Some how the ones at aldi ONLY ripen when I'm at work and are spoiled by the time I get home.

 Stop buying green ones and hoping for the best. Plus, if you use a little butter (and by this point a little extra fat isn't going to do you in) you can give the outsides a quick fry/sear and use the same pan to crisp the outside of the tortilla before you messily devour genuinely appreciate the treat.

 

Hang on, I've got to go over to the thread talking about nutritionists and healthy eating...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, farflight said:

...our self-indulgence demons must be of different clans...mine tends to focus on food based rewards...

 

When I do food-based rewards, Self-Indulgence wakes up Self-Sabotage, who hits me with attacks of Food Guilt and Body Shaming. While those attacks are nowhere near as powerful today as they used to be, I have made the decision to stay away from food based rewards, since Self-Sabotage is powerful enough on her own without me feeding her.

 

Speaking of feeding, I tried giving Self-Indulgence options, but with a bit of a twist. I'm in a four hours long training class at work, at the big mother ship campus.. It's interesting and fun ,but it is in the afternoon. After two hours they gave us a break, and I went straight to the large vending area, since I was hungry. Specifically, I was having the severe afternoon sugar cravings I've had for about a week now. I told Self-Indulgence, very firmly, that she could have anything she wanted, as long as it met the following three criteria:

 

1. NOT candy

2 .NOT a cookie

3. Must have a reasonable amount of fat and proteins so it's actually filling.

 

I was deliberately vague on the third point, since, well, vending snacks. Realistic goals are important.

 

We are currently eating a trail mix made from salted cashews and almonds, and dried cranberries. Yummy! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

reasonable amount of tat and proteins

tat snacks? lol...like mike tyson facial tats or tribal arm-band snacks?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, farflight said:

tat snacks? lol...like mike tyson facial tats or tribal arm-band snacks?

 

It's an spin-off product from those edible finger paints that used to be popular.

 

Also a consequence of typing while trying to look like I'm paying attention in class. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

 

It's an spin-off product from those edible finger paints that used to be popular.

 

Also a consequence of typing while trying to look like I'm paying attention in class. :P


Oooh, I remember the edible stickers we used to have on cupcakes in kindergarten whenever it was someone's birthday. I mean, I think they were edible. We ate them, at any rate. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 10:59 PM, scalyfreak said:

More music!

 

Because symphonic metal rap fusion absolutely works.

 

 

 

I love this song. (I may also love everything Within Temptation has ever come out with and seen them in concert 3 times, but that's neither here nor there.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

I love this song. (I may also love everything Within Temptation has ever come out with and seen them in concert 3 times, but that's neither here nor there.)

 

Within Temptation are a great band.

 

And that particular song is one of my go-to tunes when I need help feeling better about life in general. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now