• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak clears a boss fight

Quest updates!

1. Physical Stress Management

1a. Walk with Happy Sidekick every day.

Replacement boots have been identified. Order is pending inventory confirmation by the seller. Also, walked in the evenings on days when I didn't get one done in the mornings. Happy Sidekick is Happy. :) 

1b. Go to the gym when I am scheduled to go to the gym.

Yes! I have a shiny new duffel bag for gym-going, that makes the logistics a lot easier. It lives in my car backseat for now. Also, for the first time in a month I finally, finally, made progress on my squats! It is no longer in danger of falling behind OHP as my lowest weight! Clarification: It doesn't really bother me that my squat is lagging behind the other lifts... it's just vaguely surreal that I can bench more than I can squat.

2. Mental Stress Management

2a. Mediate every morning.

I have not been as good at this as I should have been, primarily due to lots of days off work. Details under Happiness factor.

2b. Continue working towards improving sleep habits.

According to Fitbit, I am averaging around 5 hours of sleep per night in the past two weeks. This is progress and is making me happy.

3. Happiness factor:

I had birthday celebration! :glee: As of yesterday, I am officially in my 40s. :devilish:

Specifically, I gave myself a 4-day weekend for my birthday. I slept in, and relaxed, and went to the gym and played with Sidekick. The whole family went out to a nearby sports bar with a crap-ton of beer and good food on the menu, and enjoyed a good meal. I opened presents, one of which was a certain shiny new duffel bag, and enjoyed being Queen For A Day. One of my birthday presents was an Amazon gift card and I used some of it to purchase a bottle of the Liquid Grip that @Grumble and @Harriet mentioned. I will test it on deadlifts.

And music! For this one we are going back to the real classics, and one of the greatest vocal performances of all time... all live.

• Like 3

1. Physical Stress Management

1a. Walk with Happy Sidekick every day.

The weather has been surprisingly nice lately, and we take full advantage. Walks are happening and are fun.

1b. Go to the gym when I am scheduled to go to the gym.

Tonight's gym visit both went really well, and not. New PR on bench (yay!), which means I now am 10 pounds away from benching 100 lbs, and a shiny reward I plan to buy for myself when that happens. Between the injured rotator cuff, back pains and wrist tendinitis, I never seriously thought this particular lift would go anywhere. So I am giving myself a reward. :)

Speaking of the gym, I am long overdue to thank @RedStone for mentioning pronators and supinators during a conversation about strengthening wrists and forearms, a couple of challenges ago. I googled what those exercises actually are, concluded they would be great for building the muscles in my tendinitis-infested wrist, and googled more so I could find a legitimate source on the risks of doing these with a chronically injured wrist. After discovering that my gym actually does not have those pesky little pastel colored dumbbells, that would have been perfect for this kind of exercise, I decided to get creative and grabbed a 2.5 lbs plate and used that for slowly turning my wrist back and forth. I do it between sets on bench press days, and every bench press day since I learned about it, and have made a point to progress extremely slowly, to avoid overtaxing the tendinitis.

I can tell it's helping. My wrist hurts less, and is stronger. After starting with five in each direction, I can now do eight in each direction without muscle fatigue. So thank you RedStone, for suggesting this. :) 

2. Mental Stress Management

2a. Mediate every morning.

Back on track with this. I have also started to use Insight Timer meditation to help me fall asleep, and they work very well. I have no idea how they end, I fall asleep before they get to that point.

2b. Continue working towards improving sleep habits.

As you can tell from the time stamp on this post, I have not been very good at going to bed on time.But when I do,I fall asleep quickly,and I sleep very well. Bot of those used to be missing, so this is still a form of progress.

And finally, more music! I want to have these energy levels when I am 70. And I want to still be able to do what I love doing. Jealous.

3. Happiness Factor

Didn't do anything on these goals. Stress Zerglings are attacking again.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Tonight's gym visit both went really well, and not. New PR on bench (yay!), which means I now am 10 pounds away from benching 100 lbs

Excellent!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c7fe7493752494d6b

Also great about the stronger wrist and better sleep.

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I decided to get creative and grabbed a 2.5 lbs plate and used that for slowly turning my wrist back and forth.

Do you know how long it took me not to make a dirty joke about this? I already have enough stress in my life.

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Do you know how long it took me not to make a dirty joke about this? I already have enough stress in my life.

Do you realize i was hoping for dirty jokes and that the disappointment has been ruining my morning? :P

• Haha 1

Do you realize i was hoping for dirty jokes and that the disappointment has been ruining my morning?
Tbf, poor wrist action can ruin most mornings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Grumble said:
28 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Do you realize i was hoping for dirty jokes and that the disappointment has been ruining my morning? emoji14.png

It can also cause a strain on the marriage...or over active can cause staining...

Grats on the progress and earning a reward...what is it?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Grumble said:

:lol::lol:

My day is complete. :)

2 minutes ago, farflight said:

Grats on the progress and earning a reward...what is it?

I will become the proud owner of a pair of these.

When I can squat over 100 lbs, I will reward myself with the matching necklace. (Ignore that loud rumbling noise. It's just Self-Indulgence purring over what she thinks we should engrave on the necklace.)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

:lol::lol:

My day is complete. :)

As your guild leader, it is one of my responsibilities to help you be successful

Those are awesome. I need to come up with a reward for finishing the L. A. Marathon. 

When I can squat over 100 lbs, I will reward myself with the matching necklace. (Ignore that loud rumbling noise. It's just Self-Indulgence purring over what she thinks we should engrave on the necklace.)

And what does Self Indulgence think? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

....if only they came in cufflinks....damn

I heard no loud rumbling...sounded more like a weird kitten...kinda like stitch...

15 minutes ago, Grumble said:

And what does Self Indulgence think? 

She thinks we should do a part of the Sith Code from Knights of the Old Republic. Specifically, "Through Passion, I gain Strength. Through Strength, I gain Power." I think for an additional $35 for engraving, I need some more convincing.

Yes, I am a total geek in every way. :)

14 minutes ago, farflight said:

....if only they came in cufflinks....damn

https://ironstrongjewelry.com/collections/cufflinks/products/silver-weight-plate-cufflinks

Same cufflinks as Grumble's link, but more pictures. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

She thinks we should do a part of the Sith Code from Knights of the Old Republic. Specifically, "Through Passion, I gain Strength. Through Strength, I gain Power." I think for an additional $35 for engraving, I need some more convincing.

how about:

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."[1] The First Ideal is explained to Kaladin by Teft:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Yes, I am a total geek in every way. :)

Yea, but skipping the "Peace is a Lie" is kind of important. I know it's not canon, but I am a big fan of the gray code.

1 minute ago, farflight said:

how about:

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."[1] The First Ideal is explained to Kaladin by Teft:

Wasn't it first told to Kaladin in a dream? It wasn't until much later that Teft introduced it, I think.

Just now, Grumble said:

Wasn't it first told to Kaladin in a dream? It wasn't until much later that Teft introduced it, I think

To be frank, I quit reading the series when I realized sanderson was still writing it.

I haven't read them in a couple years. Dove into Brent Weeks Black Prism series...until I realized HE WAS still writing it...they don't write fast enough...

5 minutes ago, farflight said:

how about:

I like it, but the Sith Code has special meaning to me. For this reason:

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Yea, but skipping the "Peace is a Lie" is kind of important. I know it's not canon, but I am a big fan of the gray code.

Jolee Bindo was definitely on to something...