Sewing for Superheros, Part 1 [Manarelle]

Manarelle

As the name might suggest, I'd like to finish up the current thermoplastics piece and shift focus back to sewing for this month. After 23.25 hours, I've got all the pieces for the Thor sabatons sorted, they "just" need a base coat, paint, and sealer. The only cloth items for the outfit that need made - leggings and a base shirt will be bought - are the cape and skirts, which (HA HA) shouldn't be too difficult. The breastplate is still on hold for the artist to get the designs back to me. I don't expect to finish all the sewing stuff this challenge, but I'd like to at least get a start on it. 

I am also working on editing a 400+ page book for a friend, which I promised to finish by V-day. That's not going to happen, but I don't want it to slip away from me, so that's my main focus until it's done. Second focus is the sabatons (weather permitting), then sewing, all over the backdrop of my usual habits and goals. Sounds busy, but it's really not - everything has a place and order, and there's no big rush on anything. 

Goals:

• Editing: Finish editing friend's book. 
  • Thermoplastics: Finish sabatons, touch base with artist on breastplate designs.
  • Sewing: Start on cape/ skirts for Thor.
  • Maintenance: Language practice, workouts.

Below are pictures of where the sabatons sit now. I've only made one of the ankle/ greave pieces, but the second shouldn't take long. Once the second one is formed, I'll take it all apart, prime, paint, and seal each piece, and put it back together, then probably wear it around a bit to make sure the paint doesn't wear off. 

3da66824-2a88-4a58-b6e1-0740f9060693-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  2ed3f027-40a0-4896-8628-9f5c643ef47a-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Here's a link to the pattern I want to try for the cape. For those of you channeling Edna Mode, the great part about the pattern is that it's meant to be held on with snaps, allowing for easy breakaway.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxodHswmclBfVmUbLGb7-

I might have to tweak it a bit to connect to the thermoplastic breastplate, but I'd much rather have it be relatively easy to pop off rather than being strangled when a kid (or adult, I suppose) grabs it or something. 

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

editing a 400+ page book for a friend, which I promised to finish by V-day. That's not going to happen

Dip it into red ink. Works for grading exams... XD

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Language practice

I aready forgot... Japanese...?

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

4 hours ago, Akura said:

Dip it into red ink. Works for grading exams... XD

LOL. I like how you think...

4 hours ago, Akura said:

I aready forgot... Japanese...?

No biggie, it doesn't come up much. French and Russian, although I realized I don't do much actively in French, other than read comics occasionally. Maybe I should work on that. 

Good news: I went to the gym today and did a "5# light but all reps, all exercises" workout. Couldn't do the handstands or crow poses, but everything else went well. If I don't die of DOMS tomorrow, I'm going back to full swing on Friday. If you ever plan to get a dental implant, plan to miss a week and a half of workouts. :/

• Like 1

Following!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

That's awesome. I'm sort of in awe of how slick the boot design looks. That's the sort of thing I would make plans about and then end up buying on ebay a few weeks before the con.

• Like 2

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Yeah, I'm very excited for your continued Thor costume progress. :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following!

Following.... or spying...! :) 

10 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

That's awesome. I'm sort of in awe of how slick the boot design looks. That's the sort of thing I would make plans about and then end up buying on ebay a few weeks before the con.

Thanks. It's one of the few areas I allow myself to be a perfectionist in. (Also, it is fun, building things).

Embarrassing story of the day: did Russian tutoring tonight, fairly ok, my vocab is definitely progressing and I only made 3 mistakes in my homework. I'd asked her to spend some time on synonyms and words with slight differences, so she busts out some fancy grammar vocab (in Russian). I look quizzical and repeat it, so she gives it to me in English... 

and...

[cough]

I didn't know the word in English either. 

Given the depth of my language studies, that I've been editing classmates' papers from 5th grade to Master's level, and that my boss gives me papers from our lawyers to proofread/ correct, that is deeply, deeply embarrassing. Like an astrophysicist not knowing the square root of -1, or a head chef not knowing what animal veal comes from. So much shame on me.

Anyway, a collocation is "a pair or group of words that are typically juxtaposed," or, in layman's terms, word that are commonly found together, like "beautiful day" (versus the less common "pretty day"). There, now we're both less uninformed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Following.... or spying...! :) 

Spying :P

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Given the depth of my language studies, that I've been editing classmates' papers from 5th grade to Master's level, and that my boss gives me papers from our lawyers to proofread/ correct, that is deeply, deeply embarrassing. Like an astrophysicist not knowing the square root of -1, or a head chef not knowing what animal veal comes from. So much shame on me.

There are SO MANY words in the English language that if you didn't occasionally stumble across one you didn't know, I'd be concerned. ;) 

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 2/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, Manarelle said:

I didn't know the word in English either

I remember once when I was studying Russian the teacher announced "today we are going to practice circumlocution".  Not a one of us in the classroom had ever heard of this word or knew what it meant :D

• Haha 1

Level 2 Ninja

As the name might suggest, I'd like to finish up the current thermoplastics piece and shift focus back to sewing for this month. After 23.25 hours, I've got all the pieces for the Thor sabatons sorted, they "just" need a base coat, paint, and sealer. The only cloth items for the outfit that need made - leggings and a base shirt will be bought - are the cape and skirts, which (HA HA) shouldn't be too difficult. The breastplate is still on hold for the artist to get the designs back to me. I don't expect to finish all the sewing stuff this challenge, but I'd like to at least get a start on it. 

I am also working on editing a 400+ page book for a friend, which I promised to finish by V-day. That's not going to happen, but I don't want it to slip away from me, so that's my main focus until it's done. Second focus is the sabatons (weather permitting), then sewing, all over the backdrop of my usual habits and goals. Sounds busy, but it's really not - everything has a place and order, and there's no big rush on anything. 

Goals:
  • Editing: Finish editing friend's book. 
  • Thermoplastics: Finish sabatons, touch base with artist on breastplate designs.
  • Sewing: Start on cape/ skirts for Thor.
  • Maintenance: Language practice, workouts.

Below are pictures of where the sabatons sit now. I've only made one of the ankle/ greave pieces, but the second shouldn't take long. Once the second one is formed, I'll take it all apart, prime, paint, and seal each piece, and put it back together, then probably wear it around a bit to make sure the paint doesn't wear off. 

3da66824-2a88-4a58-b6e1-0740f9060693-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  2ed3f027-40a0-4896-8628-9f5c643ef47a-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Here's a link to the pattern I want to try for the cape. For those of you channeling Edna Mode, the great part about the pattern is that it's meant to be held on with snaps, allowing for easy breakaway.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxodHswmclBfVmUbLGb7-DEeENIjb_1W9dU6-ET3dPrFLX50kD

I might have to tweak it a bit to connect to the thermoplastic breastplate, but I'd much rather have it be relatively easy to pop off rather than being strangled when a kid (or adult, I suppose) grabs it or something. 
Great challenge, is the Thor Cape for a con?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

http://scrawlcreatelive.tumblr.com

@scrawlingwriter- Twitter Scrawlingwriter- Instagram Scrawlingwriter. Com

Current Challenge:http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/71377-The-ABCs-of-Hogwarts-School-of-Witchcraft-and-Wizardry

Lvl. 4 Assassin

STR =3.50 DEX =4.75 STA=5.00

CON =2.55 WIS =5.00 CHA=1.50

On 2/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, raptron said:

There are SO MANY words in the English language that if you didn't occasionally stumble across one you didn't know, I'd be concerned. ;) 

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyes.... BUT. If it had been like a technical word or a "specialty terminology in the field of x" then I'd agree with you, but a grammar word? That's been my playground for a while. I should probably just take it as a lesson in humility and move on, just rankled a bit at the time. 

Moving on...

10 hours ago, Scrawlcreatelive said:

Great challenge, is the Thor Cape for a con?

Thank you. The whole Thor cosplay needs to be done by September, for the Baltimore Comic Con. My gentleman and I will also be traveling to the Dallas Fan Expo in May, but I'd rather have my first big cosplay be local; that way if something goes wrong, I can pop home real fast and fix it (hopefully). 

Week 0:

• Editing: 70% done with the book.  
  • Thermoplastics: The sabatons are structurally done, currently disassembled, and have a base coat of glue on them.
  • Sewing: On hold til sabatons are done. 
  • Maintenance: Language practice, workouts, done. 

The weather is not conducive to painting right now, and I'm trying to decide if I should just spray paint the sabatons so they match the bracer, or try to decant the spray paint into the airbrush, in the hopes of getting a thinner coat. I don't know how much wiggle room I have in the joints if I base coat, paint, and clear coat; I don't want to lose mobility if those coats add up. I'll put them back together after each coat and check, I guess. If it gets tight, I'll sand them down around the pivot points.

Added in 5 minutes of French vocab practice to the end of the daily Russian drills, seems to be working out fine so far, so I'll keep it going. The past two weeks absolutely stank for working out, due to pain from a dental implant and the bone healing around it. I was able to ramp up slowly last week, and was finally able to do chin-ups again last night, so I'll be hitting it hard again starting today. I rediscovered protein pancakes this weekend, and that Kodiak Cakes' Chocolate Chip Pancakes with nutella on them taste and feel exactly like chocolate cupcakes with frosting, but are slightly healthier. Needless to say, that will be "dessert" for a while. :) Overall, good start to the challenge. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I rediscovered protein pancakes this weekend, and that Kodiak Cakes' Chocolate Chip Pancakes with nutella on them taste and feel exactly like chocolate cupcakes with frosting, but are slightly healthier. Needless to say, that will be "dessert" for a while. :) Overall, good start to the challenge. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On 2/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, Manarelle said:

Those look amazing.  Are those screw rivets for the joints?  What size do you prefer?  And what are you using to secure it to the shoe?  I see what looks like strapping underneath, but can't tell what it is.

You might also consider lanyard quick releases for your cape.  I had good luck cutting one off a cheap amazon pack and sewing it into a kid's cape.  And I generally have better luck attaching a fabric strap to my thermoplastics than a hard mount point.

46 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Thank you. The whole Thor cosplay needs to be done by September, for the Baltimore Comic Con. My gentleman and I will also be traveling to the Dallas Fan Expo in May, but I'd rather have my first big cosplay be local; that way if something goes wrong, I can pop home real fast and fix it (hopefully). 

A good repair kit is essential for cons.  Safety pins, superglue, hot glue, duct tape, sewing kit, touchup paint, etc; with your thermoplastics, maybe a heatgun and epoxy.  A lot of cosplay heavy cons are starting to include repair rooms, too.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

Those look amazing.  Are those screw rivets for the joints?  What size do you prefer?  And what are you using to secure it to the shoe?  I see what looks like strapping underneath, but can't tell what it is.

Ah, there he is. I was hoping the Master of Disguise would show up. :)Yup, those are Chicago screws; I figured they'd be easier to work with than actual rivets (though to be honest, I didn't expect using quite so many when I started these things - I swear I clank when I walk). The screw side will face inward on the final assembly. I believe those are 1/4" (5mm x 6mm) posts. It's held on by little worbla loops around 2mm elastic beading cord - figure I can paint the worbla loops black and you'll probably not even notice them, and the elastic is small enough to sit in the tread of the boots.  

The lanyard idea is great. I haven't sat down to figure the attachment yet, but I will definitely keep that in mind. 

6 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

A good repair kit is essential for cons.  Safety pins, superglue, hot glue, duct tape, sewing kit, touchup paint, etc; with your thermoplastics, maybe a heatgun and epoxy.  A lot of cosplay heavy cons are starting to include repair rooms, too.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Trying to carry all that for a first go while being halfway across the continent seemed like way too much hassle and likely a recipe for disaster. We're close enough to Baltimore it's literally like a 20 minute drive if I need backup something-I-forgot. Cool to see it's becoming more common, and have repair rooms. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 12:46 AM, Manarelle said:

I should probably just take it as a lesson in humility and move on, just rankled a bit at the time.  

Heh... knocks to the ego are hard to ignore...

Re: cosplay... we have a medieval festival in June and I'm planning to annoy the  medieval purists by going as a wizard... should be interesting

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

Heh... knocks to the ego are hard to ignore...

Not wrong...

3 hours ago, Blocky said:

Re: cosplay... we have a medieval festival in June and I'm planning to annoy the  medieval purists by going as a wizard... should be interesting

rincewind_terry-pratchett1.jpg

:D Personal opinion, from someone who worked Ren Faires for a decade or so: rock it. Faires are an excuse to dress up as whatever you want (although the pony girl/ dom was not a welcome duo at a family faire....). The MD Faire had a dedicated contingent of stormtroopers, which I thought was fantastic. Always cool to see what people come up with. 

• Like 2

Random thought: I've never considered myself a "cool person," or part of the "in crowd." Not in a self-deprecating way but just... I do my own thing, and it often doesn't overlap with social expectations/ cool/ what have you. In recent years, I've learned to not be a judgmental dick about it (we won't talk about teens/ twenties years), and just smile and nod when the people benching twice my weight try to figure out what, exactly, I'm doing with rings/ paralettes/ other oddball things. I'm not super talkative, so it usually just stays at cautious politeness all around.

Twice this week, however, people that definitely class as the in crowd at the gym have stopped and complimented me on handstand progress, saying how they could never do that, they'd be afraid of looking silly or falling over. My first thought, both times, was along the lines of "dude, you can deadlift like 300lbs more than I can, who on earth would laugh at you???" Second thought was thank you and polite conversation, and third thought was that maybe I haven't completely gotten rid of the "judgmental dick" voice in my head. Perhaps I could work on that more. 

That said, yay 2-second PR for freestanding handstand. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

dude, you can deadlift like 300lbs more than I can, who on earth would laugh at you???

That made me LOL

But seriously, lifting heavy and hand balancing are two completely different skillsets, so it really isn't something you can compare.  I also kind of suspect that those people you are throwing into the "in crowd" may not necessarily feel like they fit that description, and might possibly even see you as the cool one.  Just something to think about.

Also, congrats on the PR.  Progress! :) 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Twice this week, however, people that definitely class as the in crowd at the gym have stopped and complimented me on handstand progress, saying how they could never do that, they'd be afraid of looking silly or falling over.

Congratulations!! There are so many different skill areas; nice to hear that the others see your progress!

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

Yay for your PR and continuing handstand progress. :)

My judgmental dick internal voice definitely hasn't fully gone away, but I do think actively combatting saying things that it wants me to say when I talk to people has helped me leave it out of the gym a lot more often. Everyone's got insecurities they're facing, haha. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On 2/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, Manarelle said:

I swear I clank when I walk

That just makes it more authentic, right?! 

The sabatons + greave bit look AMAZING by the way...can't wait to see it all come together! :D

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 2/13/2019 at 11:28 PM, WhiteGhost said:

But seriously, lifting heavy and hand balancing are two completely different skillsets, so it really isn't something you can compare.  I also kind of suspect that those people you are throwing into the "in crowd" may not necessarily feel like they fit that description, and might possibly even see you as the cool one.  Just something to think about.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Judgemental dick voice targets me, too, sometimes. :)

On 2/13/2019 at 11:28 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Also, congrats on the PR.  Progress! :) 

On 2/14/2019 at 3:21 AM, Akura said:

Congratulations!! There are so many different skill areas; nice to hear that the others see your progress!

On 2/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, raptron said:

Yay for your PR and continuing handstand progress. :)

Thanks! I am very pleased about this. I'm probably not gonna hit the "do a pike to handstand by the time I"m 40" goal, but I'm having fun aiming for it. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:23 AM, raptron said:

My judgmental dick internal voice definitely hasn't fully gone away, but I do think actively combatting saying things that it wants me to say when I talk to people has helped me leave it out of the gym a lot more often. Everyone's got insecurities they're facing, haha. 

I don't think it will ever go away, tbh. The picture below helps me a lot, though. 

980x.jpg

On 2/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, traaki said:

That just makes it more authentic, right?! 

Haha, yes, we'll go with that. Totally intentional. :D

So alright, week 2 goals:

Oh man, just kidding... week 1 goals:

• Editing: DONE!!! 421 pages, five weeks of work, and it's done. Dobby is free. 
  • Thermoplastics: Glue base coat and first spray paint coat are mostly done.
  • Sewing: It is time...
  • Maintenance: Language practice, workouts, done. 

Finished editing the book at 2pm today, despite a last-minute "oh I reworked the last chapter and added 8 more pages!" from the author. Did a half-hour write-up/ review of the plot points and takeaways, and sent it back so I am DONE. That feels good. Less success with thermoplastics - I got the base glue coat done, and raced a cold front home to get the first coat of spray paint done one night, but my paint can broke and I couldn't finish. The weather is supposed to be crap for the next week or so, so I'm putting that on standby until the temp comes up and humidity goes down. The 25th and 26th look promising... maybe...

Anyway, in the meantime, this gives me more free time to get back to sewing. I stopped at the thrift store yesterday and got some sheets for practicing, and downloaded/ printed my patternish of choice for a cape, so hopefully there will be more silly pictures this week. Lucky you all.  

• Like 3

On 2/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, Manarelle said:

Finished editing the book at 2pm today, despite a last-minute "oh I reworked the last chapter and added 8 more pages!" from the author. Did a half-hour write-up/ review of the plot points and takeaways, and sent it back so I am DONE. That feels good. 

Yes! Nice work!! 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, Manarelle said:

Anyway, in the meantime, this gives me more free time to get back to sewing. I stopped at the thrift store yesterday and got some sheets for practicing, and downloaded/ printed my patternish of choice for a cape, so hopefully there will be more silly pictures this week. Lucky you all.  

I am pretty excited about sheet-cape photos! 

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog