• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Incredible Journey of Elastigirl

How did the tempo change on the bear crawls work? Your video looked great! I'm also working on my forward fold, so I'm in the same boat.

I agree with everyone else, that people don't really know what strong women look like. You definitely are working hard and kicking booty and your work and dedication is inspiring!  Rock those guns! At least when it stops with the crazy snow/ice, though shoveling helps with gun development :) 

• Like 1

Hey all, I may not be around much for a bit .My mother in law had a heart attack and stroke.She is doing much better now, but will be in the hospital for a while.  I may check in if I'm hanging around the hospital and need something to do, or I may not if I don't have time.

• Sad 3

22 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

All the best for your mil, and the family. Will pray for you.

15 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

I hope your MIL has a good and swift recovery and sending good wishes to you and your family!

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Ohh.. all the best wishes for recovery and for getting through this together.

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Prayers.

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh no. I hope everything turns out alright.

5 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Prayers for you, Mr Incredible and your MIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thak you all . She is 1000 percent better today. The cardiologist called it a miracle. She was chatting and laughing with us. She will have some issues from the stroke, and will spend some time in rehab, but she is doing really well.  Before I went to the hospital today I did a quick workout with some bear crawls and then hip and glute work. At the hospital we visited her in shifts so that she could  not be overwhelmed, so while I had a break a went on a nice long walk. Today I actually felt like I was caught up with sleep (we spent all night Sunday in the hospital) Food- well I made salads and brought them for lunch, I did buy a chocolate bar at the hospital, so there has been some comfort food eating, but also some veggies and good protein, so fairly decent for a high stress situation. I started off the morning with prayer and Bible study, so that centered me and gave me strength and peace during the day

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When strokes are caught fast enough the recovery can be pretty spectacular, I'm glad she's better.

The disappointing thing was that they were unable to give her TPA (the clot busting drug that helps so much if given right away) because she had the stroke right after her  surgery to put a stent in, and so she still had too much blood thinner in her system. We were super disappointed when that call was made, but God is in control, and even without the medicine the stroke's effects  seem to be minimal

PSA to anyone reading: If you think you or anyone you know is having a stroke please make sure and go to the hospital, because Tank is right, the sooner you get in there the better. There is a window of time in which they can administer the clot busting drug, that if given, can really help reduce the damage of a stroke

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, KB Girl said:

Glad to hear she's doing so well! 

I'm impressed you're eating so well in this situation EG :)

Thanks. I think it was very helpful to allow myself to have some treats and comfort food without guilt, and just remind myself to get some veggies in. Not trying for some perfect goal, just goo enough for a stressful time

• Like 3

Thanks guys for all your encouragement and support. My mother in law is now in a rehab place. She was able to walk down the  hall, using, a walker, and is able to talk and laugh with us. I feel beyond blessed to have her still with us. I do have some thoughts rolling around in my head pertaining to dealing with major stress and how it affects our goals and eating and health and all that. So I thought I'd write it all out.

The biggest help and strength from this time was the fact that I know God is in control. I can rest in that peace. I know that people's prayers gave me strength, and peace , and wisdom for dealing with a very tough week. 

She went into the hospital Sunday night with A-fib(irregular heartbeat) and we were with her all night in the emergency room. As she was waiting to be admitting early Monday morning, she had a heart attack. They quickly sent her to surgery to have a stent put it. The procedure went well, but shortly after that she had a stroke. Monday day and night things looked really bleak. Then Tuesday morning she woke up chatting and improved each day.

As far as food , and working out and  all that jazz, Monday and Tuesday were just spent in crisis mode. Just eating what was to eat, probably too much of it. When I am stressed, my stomach is queasy, and I think maybe I am hungry. So my answer to stress is to eat more. But, the good thing was, I didn't blame myself or feel guilty, I just realized it was stressful , and sometimes that is how life is. 

As things got better,  I was less in crisis mode, and more just survival.  Since we were sitting around the hospital, I went outside and took several walks. I did eat comfort food (chips and sweets) but I also looked for veggies and ate those. One day I packed a salad for lunch. When we had time and didn't need to be at the hospital until later that day, I batched cooked some chicken, and potatoes. Noting fancy, just spread some salad dressing on the chicken and threw it in the oven. Chopped up the potatoes, and some broccoli, tossed it with oil and seasoning, and put it in the oven.Yesterday she moved into rehab, and life was calmer. I did the NF KB workout. It is a twenty minute workout. With warm up and cool down, I was done in thirty minutes. I felt so much better afterwards. My body felt good for the movement. Doing the workout helped me to de-stress. Today I didn't go to the rehab ,and so I did the glute workout and went for a long walk. When I finish this I will make a big salad. My mother- in law will be in rehab for a couple of week, so we will be busy. Tomorrow I'm going to get some more chicken thighs, and maybe something I can throw in the crockpot, so we can have easy meals.

One big lesson I've learned as far as food, is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It's not," I'm in crisis , so everything goes out the window," or "I have to stress myself and be perfect. "I can do what l I can in the moment, and that is an improvement.

Another lesson is how helpful my habits are. I have a habit of reading the Bible every morning, and so it just felt natural to do that on most of the days. I have a habit of walking, and I missed it when I couldn't walk, so as soon as I was able to, I walked. I did these things , not because I "should" or out of guilt, but because I know they help me destress, they give me the energy I need. Same with veggies and protein.

• Like 6

On 2/25/2019 at 5:11 AM, Elastigirl said:

I really appreciate yours and other peoples thoughts  on it. I think it is very helpful to think about how other people see things. And maybe I need to flex my guns around my friends more.:friendly_wink:

I remember chatting with a friend about exercise and her eyes tracking my body with surprise because she still can't get over that 'strength training means I'll be bulky' nonsense.

It is probably a combo of her not really knowing muscular ladies, not really paying that much attention to your body (I mean very few people will see changes like that unless shoved in their face or if they hadn't seen you in a few years and you come back really different) and not knowing what to look for on people where testosterone doesn't make you hella huge. I didn't until I started exercising and saw my own body change.

I am so glad your MIL is okay.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

One big lesson I've learned as far as food, is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It's not," I'm in crisis , so everything goes out the window," or "I have to stress myself and be perfect. "I can do what l I can in the moment, and that is an improvement.

Another lesson is how helpful my habits are. I have a habit of reading the Bible every morning, and so it just felt natural to do that on most of the days. I have a habit of walking, and I missed it when I couldn't walk, so as soon as I was able to, I walked. I did these things , not because I "should" or out of guilt, but because I know they help me destress, they give me the energy I need. Same with veggies and protein.

Lovely! 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:15 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Gosh I'm so sorry about your MiL. :( I'm glad to hear she's doing better so quickly!

Thanks. One of the reasons I believe she is recovering so quickly is that every day she walked around , and she went to her senior exercise class. She is 89, so the walk was slow, and probably only about a half mile,  but even doing that much helps over someone who is sedentary.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, Echoceanic said:

I remember chatting with a friend about exercise and her eyes tracking my body with surprise because she still can't get over that 'strength training means I'll be bulky' nonsense.

It is probably a combo of her not really knowing muscular ladies, not really paying that much attention to your body (I mean very few people will see changes like that unless shoved in their face or if they hadn't seen you in a few years and you come back really different) and not knowing what to look for on people where testosterone doesn't make you hella huge. I didn't until I started exercising and saw my own body change.

I am so glad your MIL is okay.

I think so, Truthfully, as I thought about it, I probably don't notice if someone is muscular either

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, KB Girl said:

Lovely! 

thanks.

• Like 2

So obviously this week went crazy, and my goals weren't really there. But the habits that I have ingrained that I don't even need to use willpower for stayed with me, and that is super helpful. This week really showed me that importance of everyday habits. On Saturday I did the Simple Kettlebell workout (Turkish Get ups and Kettlebells) It was really fun. I had sort of burned myself out with that workout, but it's been long enough now that I really enjoyed it. I've been on lots of walks. My mother in laws' rehab home is in a very nice section of town with lots of sidewalks. We've had gorgeous sunshine the last few days. So while she naps, I go on walks. Walking is a great destressing for me.

I actually worked on my 12 week goals. For the decluttering goal, I had planned on organizing the office.I  didn't want to try and tackle that , so I just set a goal to shred all the papers that needed to be shredded. Didn't get them all, but I did get some. I only spent about 10 minutes on it, but it helped me feel like I was progressing. I'd also bought plastic shoe boxes for some of my husbands t- shirts, and so I put his shirts in the boxes in the drawers.

Then I did my scrapbooking. My goal is only 2 pages, which is really at most an hour project. Just finished it this evening, in about 30 minutes. Somehow doing those things amidst a crazy week , makes me feel like a solid week

• Like 8

I'm glad things worked out so well for your mil. Also glad that you were able to cope and it's great that you realised you just have to have to do good enough on the goals, choosing the middle path, and none of the extremes (all out, or stick tenaciously to every single goal) in such a chaotic, crisis time.

*hugs*

• Like 2

Glad to hear your MIL is recovering well.

I really liked reading your post where you reflected on the experience, including the value of habits. That was some good insight.

• Like 1

Glad your week got a little more solid.  :-)

Last time I purged tshirts I filled a paper shopping bag and still had a drawer full of shirts when I was done.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear your MIL is doing well! That's awesome that your habits kept you on track during a crazy time.

• Like 1