• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Incredible Journey of Elastigirl

7f265a41ae905a05a309d577642c18f1.jpg

I used all my creativity powers on the 12 week accountability challenge, so this is just a simple goal challenge:

Goal 1: Maintain my weight

I don't really have a strict SMART goal for this. Mainly just  do the things I know work: Eat veggies and meat and enough good carbs, drink water, eat to satiety, eat slowly, track on MFP part of the time. But I don't need to be super strict on this ,  it's really just a most of the time thing.  Over the holiday I ate a bit more than I needed and started letting some old habits slip in, so last month and this month I'm just gently reminding myself of what works. I don't need a strict goal, but I would like to post it here for a bit of accountability. 

Goal 2 : Keep up with my 12 week goals;

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/112867-longterm-goals-find-the-fantastic-beasts/

Konmari tidy  our house, and finish my California scrapbook

Goal 3:  Meal plan on Friday

I've been meal planning, but doing it on Monday. But on Monday I want to devote to house decluttering. Friday works better anyway.  If for some reason it doesn't happen Friday, it needs to happen Saturday

Back story:

I joined NF back almost in the beginning, 7 years ago. I was a fluffy  47 year old who never did any strength training, who was finding  groceries too heavy too carry. I found NF and discovered all the cool things I could do, and found a love for just seeing how strong and flexible I could get. I've done bodyweight, kettlebells, rings, and now I'm doing paralettes. I'm set to finish my paralettes program this challenge, and think I will do kettlebells for a bit after that is done.

• Like 15

Random thought of the day I had after putting down my food goals: People ask me how I lost weight , and I always struggle with giving a quick answer. I don't really have a "diet" that I fit into. As a kid , I was super skinny and never had to worry about weight. It was only hitting middle age when it became a concern.  And now I've tried some things, and found things that work, and things that didn't. I don't fit into any one category(Paleo, low -carb, calorie counting) I just have sort taken what works for me and implemented it. And also learned that if I try and be super strict with myself it only backfires, so it's all about a habit and most of the time thing. Which is very hard to describe in two sentences or less:smile-new:

Maybe I will call it EGIncedible style_Eat what brings you joy- leave the rest:smile-new:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Random thought of the day I had after putting down my food goals: People ask me how I lost weight , and I always struggle with giving a quick answer. I don't really have a "diet" that I fit into. As a kid , I was super skinny and never had to worry about weight. It was only hitting middle age when it became a concern.  And now I've tried some things, and found things that work, and things that didn't. I don't fit into any one category(Paleo, low -carb, calorie counting) I just have sort taken what works for me and implemented it. And also learned that if I try and be super strict with myself it only backfires, so it's all about a habit and most of the time thing. Which is very hard to describe in two sentences or less:smile-new:

Maybe I will call it EGIncedible style_Eat what brings you joy- leave the rest:smile-new:

I think you intuitively discovered intuitive eating without having to read the book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think you intuitively discovered intuitive eating without having to read the book.

:smile-new: I am interested in reading it. Truthfully, I was thinking of buying it, but then the way the sample part I read talked about how bad calorie tracking was sort of discouraged me from buying the book. I get that tracking doesn't work for everyone, and that it has some drawbacks, but I also think it does work for some people (me being one of them)  I  could just read the book, and glean from it what helps me (and I may at some point) but  I also don't want to do something that makes me worry about what I'm doing , when what I'm doing works (if that makes any sense) I sort of fit in the IE camp, but not all the way, pretty much I'm just a jumble of stuff eating wise:friendly_wink:

• Like 2

This morning I was imitating the Intermittent Fasters- as in I exercised before I ate breakfast. I wanted to finish shoveling the driveway before my friends came over for our meeting, and I didn't know how long it would take. It didn't take long. Some of the ice had sorta melted , and I was able to scrape it away. And other spots were just thick ice that I couldn't do anything about. It was actually very pleasant. I love how bright it is when the sun is shining on the snow. It all reflects, and the world is so bright. I just soaked it in.

My friends didn't actually end up coming. The side road are still icy. And people's driveways are icy. So I did my workout in the morning, and then I used the extra time to post my challenge.  Today's decluttering was shoes. I got rid of several dress shoes that I never wear because they are too uncomfortable. I'd kept them only out of guilt, because I really hadn't worn them much. I thanked them for teaching me that comfortable shoes are important and I gave them to Goodwill. I still have lots of shoes though. I like shoes. 

Tried to go on a walk today. Like I said, the weather was gorgeous. But the sidewalks were super slick. Not everywhere, You can walk along fine, and then step on a spot that looks like snow, only under the snow is ice, and you slip. I did that a few times, and caught myself from falling down, and then decided that really wasn't the smartest action so I went home.

Tomorrow hubby has off work. Then he starts his new job. Which may be an interesting first week, as we are supposed to get more snow.Anway, tomorrow we are going out to lunch. Not going geocaching , as it is too icy.  I hope we can go for a walk. If the sidewalks are  too icy, maybe I will just sit outside and absorb the sun a bit.

All the words today! Can you all tell I've been cooped up in my house all week?:friendly_wink: I tracked with MFP. I've eaten my calories, and I am full, but I am still deciding whether I want a snack or not. Not sure whey, I don't usually snack in the evening, but the last couple of weeks I've really struggled with this

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hi!

Hey! 

1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

Yay new EG challenge! 

HI! There may even be some kettlebells this challenge!

• Like 2

Today was interesting. It was hubby's day off between jobs. Started the morning slow. I did a short leg workout, some  hip exercises (because my hip has been sore lately and I'm hoping building strength will help) and some exercises to improve strength for my L-sit.

Then we went out to lunch - Thai food. It was at a shopping center, and so we walked and looked at the stores. I found two pretty new scarves and I bought them. I had gotten rid of a couple of scarves that were gifts that didn't match my clothes, so I had room in my closet. Not sure if Marie Kondo would approve, but it did bring me joy. Then we walked over by a hamburger restaurant we liked.On their menu they advertised dairy free milk shakes. So we decided to go in. I ordered the dairy free shake. Then we sat down to drink it. A few slurps in, I said this doesn't taste dairy free. So hubby went up to the counter and asked, and the guy said yes it was.  So I kept drinking. My stomach started feeling gurgling, but I thought I must just be being a hypochondriac.Then the counter guy comes over and says "I'm sorry but the milkshake isn't dairy-free, I'll give you a refund" Guys, I was so  mad.I don't drink milk because of the bad consequences, which involve me spending lots of time in the bathroom. I raved at him , then I semi- calmly told him, that this was a big deal, he needed to pay attention when people ask him if something is dairy free. I told him that I would most likely be sick. He offered a refund, but I needed to leave. First because I wanted to go to the store and get some medicine, and second if I stayed I knew I would just keep ranting at him, and really that wouldn't help. He said he was sorry, I told him that is was a serious mistake on his part, and there wasn't anything else to say. I had a couple of Lactaids I my purse so I took those. Then we went to the store and I bought some stomach medicine.The good news of the story was there was no drastic consequences. My stomach feels kind of gassy, but no real issues. I have no idea what the guy was thinking. If  when the first time after I drank it, and thought it tasted real, he had said it had dairy, I would have been slightly annoyed, but just figure he hadn't heard me, and not really thought much about it. But we double checked and he still said it was dairy fee?!!! I guess on the upside I didn't have as many calories as I would have:flustered:

Now I am "watching" basketball with my husband and son.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

That’s awful.

While I’ve never had anything that bad happen to me, I’ve learned to take a lactaid before I eat anything at a restaurant. I think you suggested that actually.

I’m glad nothing terrible happened.

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s awful.

While I’ve never had anything that bad happen to me, I’ve learned to take a lactaid before I eat anything at a restaurant. I think you suggested that actually.

I’m glad nothing terrible happened.

Yes, that was me. I was however lulled into a false sense of security by the (apparently confusing) label dairy free.

• Like 2

Wow that's terrible. Good that you told him off, this is really important. Dairy might not be that bad on the grand scheme of things but what if it would've been something that sent a person into shock? Hey here's your refund, I'm sorry you had to go to the ER doesn't exactly cut it.

• Like 1

Oh wow, if they are advertising dairy-free, they definitely should be able to definitively say that there is no dairy in what they give you, and have it be true. I'm glad that you are feeling ok!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey EG, here to follow and support :)

Awful about the dairy 'free' shake. Glad you are ok though xx

Hi Sal, thanks!

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wow that's terrible. Good that you told him off, this is really important. Dairy might not be that bad on the grand scheme of things but what if it would've been something that sent a person into shock? Hey here's your refund, I'm sorry you had to go to the ER doesn't exactly cut it.

I know that's what I thought. Yes, dairy makes me miserable, but some people it's a life or death thing. I think if I had an allergy like that, I would just never eat out. Or eat out only at a restaurant I really trusted.

7 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Oh wow, if they are advertising dairy-free, they definitely should be able to definitively say that there is no dairy in what they give you, and have it be true. I'm glad that you are feeling ok!

Thanks, my thoughts too

7 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Hi

Wow that is a dumb thing to do I'm glad you were firm with the waiter, food allergies and sensitivities are a big deal.

Yeah , that it what I told him.

• Like 2

Oh man.

I have a friend with celiac who will end up in the hospital if she eats gluten. We live in a town with a lot of people who are gluten free for a huge variety of reasons - including people who are trying to minimize their gluten but still drink beer..... yep. So, when she orders at a restaurant and asks about gluten free, she HAS to say "because I have celiac." And several of us have a habit of chiming in "yeah, she'll go to the hospital." Care in labeling. How can they advertise "dairy free"? erg. Also, if you want to hear a real rant, ask what happens when a coffee shop puts real milk in the latte of a woman whose baby is breastfeeding and has a dairy allergy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Oh man.

I have a friend with celiac who will end up in the hospital if she eats gluten. We live in a town with a lot of people who are gluten free for a huge variety of reasons - including people who are trying to minimize their gluten but still drink beer..... yep. So, when she orders at a restaurant and asks about gluten free, she HAS to say "because I have celiac." And several of us have a habit of chiming in "yeah, she'll go to the hospital." Care in labeling. How can they advertise "dairy free"? erg. Also, if you want to hear a real rant, ask what happens when a coffee shop puts real milk in the latte of a woman whose baby is breastfeeding and has a dairy allergy.

ugh, that must have been so upsetting to the breastfeeding mom.  When I ordered the milkshake I asked for the dairy free, but when he gave it to me I forgot to double check , which is something I usually do. Which is why when I tasted it and it tasted like milk, we doublechecked.  I've had waiters think I'm annoying because I double check, but I've had too many times when I order something without cheese and it comes with cheese (though that at least is easy to spot)

Zero week

Food maintenance: It was a weird week. We were snowed in all week. I ended up shoveling snow several days. After I did that, I was super hungry, And I don't really know how to calculate calories. This weekend I just didn't want to count. I felt like I ate a tremendous amount of food. I thought I was hungry, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Maybe I was just cold, or bored. Weighed myself today, and I maintained my weight, so I guess I did alright.

Meal plan on Friday- I totally forgot about it Friday, but remembered on Saturday. My old habit had been Monday, but the end of the week is actually better.

Keep up with the 12 week challenges

Konmari my clothes- yes I got a ton done

Scrapbooking, I was really meh about this. I had time this weekend, after all we stayed home and did nothing the entire weekend.But I was feeling grumpy about game day cancelling and church, and just wanted to watch a movie. I finally talked myself into 45 minutes. This week I need to work on remembering that I actually enjoy sorting through the photos, and choosing the backgrounds for the photos, and the finished product. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, Elastigirl said:

People ask me how I lost weight , and I always struggle with giving a quick answer. I don't really have a "diet" that I fit into.

I totally get this!  And honestly, it's this last rodeo I've gotten into that has really put all the pieces together.   Consistency is my new go to answer.    The consistency to stick with it, even when things don't work, to do the research, stick with a plan long enough to warrant real data, then shift and try, try again until you find what YOUR best plan is.    Mine is a mostly clean, but not absolute paleo, lower fat, and lower carb, but not Atkins like, and track for accountability approach.    I still eat my D&D night snacks of booze, popcorn, and cookies.  Sometimes as many as 3-5 at a time!  So it's sustainable and doesn't tick me the heck off.   But it literally took me 5 years to find the balance on all the fronts.    In a world that thrives on immediate everything- it's daunting to shift your brain to the idea "this could take a while.  A long while.  But it's worth it."

Anyway!  Sorry to ramble on your thread!   :)     Here to follow along for all the awesome Elastinspiration!

You're such a gem!

• Like 2