• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elinox

Elinox Goes Back to the Kingdoms

Image result for 10th kingdom wolf tail

It's been a few challenges since I was here on Nerd Fitness so now it’s time I got back into my fitness routine. 

For my next challenge, I’m going with a 10th Kingdom theme. I did this one before, a few years ago, but since it’s soon International 10th Kingdom Watch Week, I thought it would be appropriate to do this again. 

And since I still don’t particularly enjoy the 4 week style challenges, I’m going to do another double challenge at 8 weeks like I did back in 2016 and 2018. That should put me at February 11-April 14, with a week in the middle for a brief rest, I think. 

The 10th Kingdom is my favorite movie (technically it’s a mini series) and book of all time. It’s about a young woman named Virginia who is seeking to find herself and escape from her boring life. She ends up being transported, along with her screw-up father Tony, to a magical land where fairy tales are real. And they’re not the golden fluff from Disney either! 

Along the way she is rescued, repeatedly, by Wolf, a reformed convict whose sole mission in life is to woo her. He is half-wolf and must fight his own animal instincts along their journey.

The adventure takes them on a whirlwind tour throughout the nine kingdoms where they encounter Trolls and dwarves, a magic gold river fish, the Kissing Town, an Evil Queen, elves and fairies, poisonous mushrooms and Prince Wendell who has been turned into dog. They must help Prince regain his throne and thwart the most evil woman alive; all while simply trying to go home.

My goals are properly kingdom themed too, mostly with a focus on Wolf since he’s my all-time favorite character!

3 smaller Quests
1.“Baste it, roast it, toast it, nibble it, chew it, bite right through it, wobble it, gobble it, wrap it round a couple of chickens and am I ravenous!” -Wolf

Don’t Eat the Magic Mushrooms (or in my case, the magic sugary snacks!)
I need to cut down on processed junk food. Ideally, I would kick the fake sugar habit completely, but that goal hasn’t ever stuck for long, so I’m going to simply be limiting my sugary snacks to only on the weekends with my blow meal and on my birthday. 

During the week, I want to stick to snacks like fresh fruit, popcorn and nuts. 

Food features as a sub-theme throughout The 10th Kingdom from the mushroom omelettes in the swamp, to the fizzy stuff in Kissingtown, to the poisoned champagne at Prince Wendell’s coronation, to the apples from the Merry Pips Apple Orchard, to the fine food from the Peeps. I know I would love one of Wolf’s bacon sandwiches!

Scoring: x/40 days of no sweet treats (M-F, accept on my birthday)
Reward: +4 to CON & +4 to CHA

2. “Oh cripes, they’ve found us!...Run, run!” -Wolf

Walking/Running
I’ve successfully added walking into my workout but I need to do better at challenging my cardio. I want to really challenge myself this time, and since it’s a double challenge, I think 60 miles in 2 months/40 days is reasonable. 

I’m going to walk for most of this challenge, but I also want to add in some running. Maybe run 2 times per week at the gym for 15 minutes. Miles will be added towards my total. 

Walking through the 9 Kingdoms was the easiest way to get around and to remain undetected from the Queen. And while I don’t plan on walking the entire length of the Disenchanted Forest (1,000 miles!), walking quickly with my heart rate up should keep me safe enough from the Huntsman to survive!

Scoring: x/60 miles
Reward: +3 to DEX (+1 for every 20 miles reached)

3. “You may not get hurt, but huff puff, you won’t get loved either.” -Wolf

Darebee’s “Foundation” workout
My husband wants to try to exercise together in the mornings, so I thought we’d give another Darebee workout a try. This time though, since it’s been awhile since we did hardcore exercises, we’re going a bit lighter with the “Foundations” workout. 

Even though “Foundations” is only for 30 days, I will likely repeat it for the second half of my double challenge. Or else maybe try another, 30 day workout from Darebee, we’ll see. 

To get around in the 9 Kingdoms, you have to be quick on your feet and ready to go old school with transportation, which can include anything from riding horses, to carriages, to simply walking everywhere. You also need to be able to think on your feet and make good choices. So healthy and fit overall.

All the characters, but particularly Wolf and Prince, are decently physically active and it helps them get around more easily.

Scoring: x/60 days of Foundations
Reward: +4 to STA

Image result for 10th kingdom wolf

Huff puff let's do this! 

Sounds like a great challenge.  I first heard of 10th kingdom for the first time earlier today (in a discussion about max from gilmore girls plays the wolf in 10th kingdom).

3 minutes ago, bgvanbur said:

Sounds like a great challenge.  I first heard of 10th kingdom for the first time earlier today (in a discussion about max from gilmore girls plays the wolf in 10th kingdom).

Go watch it now, it's awesome! :love-struck:

Foundations: 2/60

Walking: 5/60 (I'm counting 1 mile for the 20 minutes I spent shoveling this morning!)

Sweet Treats: 1/40

Foundations: 27/60

Sweet Treats: 17/40

I'm taking a break from tracking this week since the challenge ended yesterday and I'm doing a double challenge. I'm still going to be doing the same routine, just not counting it towards my end-goal as that would give me an unfair advantage.