• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Radost

Radost: winter’s last gasp

It’s cold and I don’t like it! Temperatures are a shocking mumblemumble below freezing (don’t laugh, rest of the continent) and I’m ready for spring. So are the sad, frozen crocuses.  But like those harbingers of winter’s end, the cold may slow me down but it won’t keep me buried.

My primary goal this month is to solidify the two-run week while maintaining strength training. I’m currently doing a short run around 5k and a longer one at 7.5-8, I may start to push that to 9 as the challenge goes on, but I’ll take my time to minimize the chance of injury. 

I’m also going to go back to my points system for snacks. I had so little success with food journaling last challenge, but I definitely need to be more disciplined about eating for pleasure. So a point buys a modest snack, defined in a flexible kind of measure that takes into account both caloric content and the pleasure it will give.  Details in one of my challenges last spring, I think, if you care. 

In the life department, I have a bunch of little things that I need to make the mental space for. I’m starting with three things that are on my mind now, but I will add to the list as I remember them. 

Fitness

-Run 2x/week - pass is 75%

-Strength train 2x/week - pass is 75%

-Bonus points: for each strength workout that hits 25 minutes, +5% to be applied to overall challenge score

Diet

-Workdays, I give myself 6 Snack Points. Pass/fail each week, pass is 75%

-Bonus points: for each week where I don’t use these snack points, 5% bonus applicable to any diet goal

-Board Games Night and Friday D&D, I give myself 15 SP for the challenge, spend them as I like. 

Life

-Book final road test to get my full driver’s license (won’t be until summer...they book up fast)

-Fix budget program problems with recent changes to my credit card

-Schedule (and execute) a state-of-the-budget date with my sweetie

-fix my name on the property tax account

Pass is 75% of however many things I end up putting on this to-do list

Carrot/stick

All three areas are evenly weighted. Overall pass will be...you guessed it, 75%.

If I pass overall, I’ll commission an art I’ve been wanting. 

If I fail by more than 10%, I’ll cancel one of my subscriptions (8tracks, Seamwork, or Project Alpha). 0.0

• Like 3

This "last gasp" is turning out to be a doozy.  The ice from last week hadn't yet disappeared when the snow blew in, and there's still more expected.  It's pretty minor as winter and snow go, but when this kind of weather comes around as rarely as it does here in the Pacific Southwest (a.k.a. the part of Canada nextdoor to the PNW), only a minority of people actually have appropriate equipment.  At least the city has more than one snowplow now?  Schools are actually closed (a rare occurrence!) so I'll have all day to hang with my out-of-school care kids and see what kind of snow shenanigans we can get up to!

Saturday, the power was out at my partner's work, so he had the day off and I didn't end up going for a run in 50km/h winds and icy conditions, opting instead to play a board game that's usually a bit long for work evenings, Aeon's End (and we rocked! It was awesome!).  I also only committed to my food plans halfway through the week, so didn't really "do" that.  So zero week has not been a super start, but I'm ready to get into it starting today! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radost said:

This "last gasp" is turning out to be a doozy.  The ice from last week hadn't yet disappeared when the snow blew in, and there's still more expected.  It's pretty minor as winter and snow go, but when this kind of weather comes around as rarely as it does here in the Pacific Southwest (a.k.a. the part of Canada nextdoor to the PNW), only a minority of people actually have appropriate equipment.  At least the city has more than one snowplow now?  Schools are actually closed (a rare occurrence!) so I'll have all day to hang with my out-of-school care kids and see what kind of snow shenanigans we can get up to!

As someone who has lived through both mild coastal winters and "real" winters, I can say with certainty that -5 and snow in Vancouver/Halifax is infinitely more miserable than -35 and snow in Calgary.  No judgement here if you hide indoors until it melts!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, Atrytone said:

Is it ever. :/ 

Right??? I can’t believe this is supposed to go on all week. :disgust:

22 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

As someone who has lived through both mild coastal winters and "real" winters, I can say with certainty that -5 and snow in Vancouver/Halifax is infinitely more miserable than -35 and snow in Calgary.  No judgement here if you hide indoors until it melts!

Thanks for the perspective! I know I have heard from lots of friends who’ve lived in Ontario that our wet cold is a lot harder to take than the dry cold in much of the country. 

I reallllly want to get out for a run in the snow but...safety!

• Like 2

Strength workout 1/2 this week: moving massive amounts of solid water around the park near my workplace. :congratulatory:

F4B80E19-D2AB-431D-8480-AD1E5D84BC28.thumb.jpeg.150dac3d070fd1d0e1fd773b313ec875.jpeg

564834F1-0BDA-465F-9661-BF1908C5379A.jpeg.ebbfc14c0a47bb2e919854077ed72a11.jpeg

There were several neighbourhood kids joining me & my charges...the kids kept rolling snowballs bigger than they could move. “R, can you pleeeeease roll this to the fort for me???” “Only if you acknowledge that I’m the most awesome nanny in the neighbourhood...”

• Like 5

On 2/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, Atrytone said:

You sound like an awesome nanny. My strength workout today was also snow related - digging my car out. Your workout looks more fun though lol

Some days I’m the best. Other days I force the kids to do terrible things like stay at the playground after school (because sunny days in January are not to be squandered) or practice their spelling words or learn about how earthworms breathe and which parts of human anatomy function in a similar way. Full disclosure, I also have days when I seriously can’t even and I just try to keep them alive and uninjured and not to yell at them too much for asking if that’s ham even though they should be able to see that I’m trying to do twelve things including opening a recalcitrant package and stopping them from physically attacking their sibling over who gets how much pineapple on their pizza and ffs could you just wait thirty seconds and the answer to your question will appear before you. 

I love my job but it’s also pretty draining. 

• Like 2

Early Week 1 roundup

Fitness:

I'm giving myself a pass on running, even though I only got out once.  I got out as often as it was safe to do so - even my run today was pretty sketchy on snow and compacted slush for about 40% of my route. 

Strength: pass.  Spent so much time this week lifting and rolling snow, plus a short workout with dumbbells at home.  I'm so lucky my sweetie works shorter hours than me and was able to do the shoveling, because snow is heavy.

Diet:

Finished the work week without going over on points, pass.

Kind of forgot to be mindful of snacking when D&D got changed to a board games night due to our DM being stuck on the wrong side of a ferry crossing.  I estimate I used about 5/15 points. :/

Life:

Tried to book my road test but apparently they don't take appointments more than 100 days out, so I guess this goes back on the list in a couple months.

• Like 2

Week 2 roundup

Fitness

Running: pass! It was still really cold but I got out twice for a 6 and a 7.5k run.

Strength: fail... no excuse, just did not make time for any workouts 

Haven't done either this week yet, whoops. I’m on half vacation (my out-of-school-care family is out of town but I’m still working three mornings a week at the preschool) and I just don’t even know what day it is half the time.  And I keep trying to do vacation stuff like sewing and painting minis and then suddenly it’s  time for rehearsal or to batch cook next week’s lunches, and I realize I totally failed to set aside twenty minutes for fitness. But. Never two bad weeks. 

Diet

Snack points: weekly, pass! D&D snacks at 8/15

Life

no progress here. I did some adulting, but none of it was on the list, haha. 

Last weekend was some excitement for me. My sibling moved out of town six months ago and I’ve been fostering their cat while they got settled. They were ready to bring kitty home, and since they don’t drive and I do, I made a trip to the big city. In a car. On my own with nobody to navigate for me. I’ve had my license only a year and a half, and the vast majority of trips I’ve made to Vancouver I’ve used public transit even if I was traveling with someone with a car. It’s just easier. But I wasn’t going to take a cat on the bus for hours. Of course it was snowy and my sibling and their roommates wanted to drive to go out to dinner...I survived. Missed my ferry coming back even though I left myself an extra 35 minutes, but who doesn’t like a good scenic accidental trip to the US border???

And now my kitty gets to rule the house again, and my sibling gets fuzzy snuggles from their fur baby. So it wasn’t easy, but it was great to get through. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Radost said:

I made a trip to the big city. In a car.

Champ alert!

I can't imagine driving in Van. In fact, I literally sold my car when I moved out there because the hassle wasn't worth it. Obviously I bought another one when I moved back home. I refuse to navigate the transit system here it's so terrible.

5 hours ago, Radost said:

Fitness

Running: pass! It was still really cold but I got out twice for a 6 and a 7.5k run.

Strength: fail... no excuse, just did not make time for any workouts 

Applause for running in the cold. every bit counts. Here in the San Francisco area if it gets below 50F you would think it's freezing cold. 

On 2/27/2019 at 6:14 PM, Atrytone said:

Champ alert!

I can't imagine driving in Van. In fact, I literally sold my car when I moved out there because the hassle wasn't worth it. Obviously I bought another one when I moved back home. I refuse to navigate the transit system here it's so terrible.

Oh yeah.  I grew up in Vic and I literally never ever would have imagined wanting to drive in Van.  Next time I visit my sibling, I am 1000% using transit because I understand the SKYTrain and I may hate the Ladner bus but at least I know where to get off it, haha.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:40 PM, Doe said:

Applause for running in the cold. every bit counts. Here in the San Francisco area if it gets below 50F you would think it's freezing cold. 

Thanks!  Our climate here is not that different from yours, just a bit cooler overall.  Freezing temps?  What are those???  What is this white stuff?????  But when green and grey are the winters we're used to, it takes effort to get out when it's white.

Oh. Whoa. Is it week 4 already???

Week 3 short update: success all around except Life, no progress there. Both my strength workouts made the minimum to get an extra 5%.  D&D snacks at 10/15 as of yesterday.  

Week 4 is going well so far, just got in from my “short” run which felt like my first overall “fast” run in a long while (just over 6k in just over 38 minutes, which is much better than the 6:45-7 averages I’ve had lately). 

• Like 2

Final round up

Fitness

Run 2x/week - 100%

strength 2x/week - 85%

Diet

Workday snacking - 75%

Games snacks - success 

Life 

I failed to actually accomplish most of my goals but for all of them I either took a step that puts the ball in someone else’s court or learned that I can’t do them at this time. Apparently my whole bank account will no longer talk to budgeting apps, so... But I did do some manual budget work and had a check in with my partner at least. So I guess I can start trying to track down an artist who’ll take my comission!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Yay! Congrats Radost, looks like the challenge went very well.

Thanks! It felt like it did! Better than some I’ve done, for sure...