• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Miaulin

Miau (grudgingly) Holds On

the gist of what totally happened in last challenge's narrative that i didn't write: In the Lower-Wood, hidden from travelers, there's a mine run by Skrímsli, a Goblin. He doesn't work the mine himself, but instead relies on a group of children to do the work for him. These children, he acquired through various means- some he outright kidnapped, some he bargained for, others he tricked the parents into giving up with the promise of educating them, and some...well, some have only ever known the mines.

among these children are Tíu, a Very Definite Elf, and Ellefu, who isn't sure what she is, but thinks she might be a Goblin just like Skrímsli. After all, she feels like an ugly creature, with a gnarled heart and wicked, rotten spirit compared to Tíu's endless optimism.

the thing about the mines is that they are perilous. people disappear. Bad Things happen. but, working together, Tíu and Ellefu do their best to hold on and survive in the dark.

and yeah that's basically the story i'm working on. was going to spend the year on a cool 'escape the mine' kind of arc but for now 'survive the mine' will have to do. might or might not go with a 'recapping things that haven't actually been fully written out' format on it.

the gist of what's happening right now at this present moment irl: mom's having a medical issue that's causing a lot of pain, can't do anything about it in the immediate future, there's a lot of uncertainty over what's going to happen with it, grandad's having an eerily similar issue, the entire thing is extremely reminiscent of things with mom's mom (read: Not Good) i'm supposed to be studying to try to get my GED so i can get a job (which is a whole other bridge to fish) and my brother's in the same boat thanks to Backstory Reasons. mom and grandad are the only providers for the household and there's not much money to go around even with them splitting the bills- we just can't afford for either of them to be out of work until my brother or i am employed. i deal with a lot of suicidal thoughts (wishful thinking, mostly, some self-harm urges) and general depression, as well as what one doctor said was 'probably anxiety', and increasing difficulty focusing.

with what's going on with mom right now, i'm back into one of my recurring thought patterns that life just doesn't seem worth sticking around through the hard stuff, and that my family really does just seem to coast from one crisis to the next, without feeling grounded or stable in the meanwhile, and getting into this spiral of feeling stuck and  frustrated and ultimately freezing and just waiting for this day to be over, this week to be over, the month, another year...so on.

i wasn't going to do a challenge but then it just started to seem like a better option to do a challenge with the goal of filling up my time too much for idle wallowing. i've drawn up a schedule and my only goal is to stick to it as much as i possibly can. the kittens might make that a little more difficult but they'll also help with keeping me distracted so that balances somewhat. i'll need to make a separate modified schedule for third/fourth weeks and for weekends. Weekends are mostly going to be for reading, writing, cleaning, and sewing/crochet/knitting/whatever ancient unfinished project i find at any given time.

so yeah there's that! here's some of the things the schedule says i'm supposed to do during the day, just for accountability. if i don't post or just post that i'm not doing the thing please give me your best impression of like. disappointed uncle ben or captain america or...a really threatening goblin overseer or something.

Spoiler
  • stretching/yoga routine
  • exercise
  • work on khan academy
  • duolingo/memrise not quite so urgent
  • work on keeping things relatively tidy
  • work on my Light routine
  • try to get some writing done
  • read before bed instead of going from computer screen to sleep

extra additional 'rules'

• wash dishes and things immediately after use, and give the house (especially the kitchen) a once-over before bed
  • have a bubble bath at least every other wednesday
  • no sugar
  • mealplan for myself and for momsauce

First to follow and I'm right here for you!! All of what you're feeling is totally understandable, and I don't want you to beat yourself up at. all. for feeling any of it, okay? Things ARE very hard and it's hard to keep going on day after day when things don't seem to be getting better. We can't make things better, but we can stick with you while you go through it. And that's exactly what we're going to do.

Please tell your mom that we're all praying and thinking and rooting for her!!! Just like we're rooting for you!!!

• Like 1

it's currently 1:33 in the morning and dogs just killed momcat. we've brought the babies inside and put them in a warm nest but we have no food for them and of course nowhere is open, so in the actual morning we have to go buy formula. the rest of the cats are who knows where outside and i'm flinching every time i hear a dog bark. i'm so sick of dogs, of living in the country (of living here in general) of caring about these things. i just want to not care about anything.

• Sad 1

Oh gosh... I’m so sorry to hear about your mom’s health issues, and the kitty, and your own internal struggle... I wish I could come over there and hug you. That is a lot of hard things at once.

Take things a day at a time if you have to. Or an hour at a time, or a minute at a time, or a breath at a time. It’s worth it to keep going, even if you can’t see it. I promise you, it’s worth it. 

<3<3<3 I believe in you, and I know you can make it through this!! We all love you, and we are all here for you to support you in whatever ways we can, every step of the way. <3<3<3

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 2:37 AM, Miaulin said:

it's currently 1:33 in the morning and dogs just killed momcat. we've brought the babies inside and put them in a warm nest but we have no food for them and of course nowhere is open, so in the actual morning we have to go buy formula. the rest of the cats are who knows where outside and i'm flinching every time i hear a dog bark. i'm so sick of dogs, of living in the country (of living here in general) of caring about these things. i just want to not care about anything.

Oh Miau!!! Oh Miau! Oh my gosh, this is absolutely horrible and I am absolutely horrified and brokenhearted on your behalf ... what an awful thing to happen, not just right now but anytime!! I am so sorry, my dear friend!!

• Like 1

Thanks, Shadri and Sky, i really do appreciate your support. This has been just awful, but it's good to have such nice friends here. 

I think this is day five since bringing the kittens inside...turns out they're both boys. the little white one has been reluctant to eat, but on monday grandad and i took them to the vet,  who said they both look healthy and gave us a can of the stinkiest 'food' i've ever smelled to mix in their formula. which must have worked somewhat because little man has been eating a little more voluntarily, though still not as much or enthusiastically as his brother. On friday i'll have to pick up some more supplies for them, including litter and maybe some kitten toys and such. I've managed to get sick again, but not horribly. The laptop stopped working yesterday and had to have a factory reset done on it, which deleted firefox and left microsoft edge, which has to be fought with in order to accomplish anything and will need borrowed wifi from town to download a real browser with. The kittens aren't actually tons of work or anything and i'm not about to whine about them, but they have thrown off the schedule a fair bit between feeding and cuddling and laundry-ing and trying to keep them clean.

Really i've been pretty obnoxious about all of this...friday is grocery day and then saturday i'll be alone for the evening so i'm considering being even more obnoxious and using that time to regain some composure and calm down with a hot bath and a favorite show marathon, maybe some tea or a piece of chocolate...kind of mini-vacation while the kittens nap. 

ooof I got what wound up being today's job done, as in drinking lots of water and finishing grocery listing...i got the store's website to load enough to check the prices of everything in advance. my total's a bit higher than i'd like considering the shared budget with momsauce and broski. it's not a lot of items but there's smoothie stuff (including protein powder) bumping up the price. it's actually a really good list as far as healthy foods instead of the sugary fruit juice and extra-caffeinated tea i'm trying to want at the moment. 

the kittens made lots of laundry today and needed full baths afterward, the one shrieking the entire time so i felt horrible about that. later they got all messy trying to eat without a bottle since they're supposed to be weaning- you know how little kittens walk in their food before they learn to stand still and eat -and one needed another bath.

managed to upset mom today because by the time she got home from work after 6PM all i'd had all day was tea, water, and a brownie, and then i just kind of started crying for no reason (well, more like lots of reasons) and she was worried about my not eating. she got me some fries and i ate half of them...there's plenty of good soup in the fridge so tomorrow i'll try to eat some of that. 

found out today my favorite movie is on sale for cheap at Walmart so if i have to trim the actual grocery list i will just so i can get that film and spend saturday evening crying at a cartoon.

I'm so so sorry about momcat. What a horrible thing to happen! I'd be a wreck.

I really admire how well you're taking care of those kittens. 

On 2/13/2019 at 11:04 PM, Miaulin said:

found out today my favorite movie is on sale for cheap at Walmart so if i have to trim the actual grocery list i will just so i can get that film and spend saturday evening crying at a cartoon.

What movie?

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:30 AM, Miaulin said:

saturday i'll be alone for the evening so i'm considering being even more obnoxious and using that time to regain some composure and calm down with a hot bath and a favorite show marathon, maybe some tea or a piece of chocolate...kind of mini-vacation while the kittens nap.

This is a brilliant idea and I hope you did it!! Somehow your thread slipped through the cracks of my notifications and I don't know how???  :(  BUT I'M HERE NOW

You are taking such good care of the kittens and I'm so proud of you!! They're going to love you so much and be your best friends forever because you've been such a good surrogate mommy for them ... taking care of any sort of baby creature is a lot of work, and you're handling it like a champ. Do keep on looking for little mini-vacations and self-care moments!! You need those!!  <3 <3 <3 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I'm so so sorry about momcat. What a horrible thing to happen! I'd be a wreck.

right when we were finally going to be able to get her spay, too :(  she's been around for such a long time (at least seven years) it still doesn't even seem quite real that she's gone. she went out protecting her babies, though, a tough mama-kitty right to the end. 

What movie?

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron! It's one I've only recently rediscovered...somehow it hits me right in the feelings every single time.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, Salinger said:

Hope you are doing ok Mia x

Same to you Sal , and thanks! <3 <3

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, SkyGirl said:

This is a brilliant idea and I hope you did it!! Somehow your thread slipped through the cracks of my notifications and I don't know how???  :(  BUT I'M HERE NOW

Wellllllll….due to unforeseen circumstances it didn't wind up happening, but i did get my movie and have been saving it for such a time as a bath can actually happen :3 it's good to see you!

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, SkyGirl said:

You are taking such good care of the kittens and I'm so proud of you!! They're going to love you so much and be your best friends forever because you've been such a good surrogate mommy for them ... taking care of any sort of baby creature is a lot of work, and you're handling it like a champ. Do keep on looking for little mini-vacations and self-care moments!! You need those!!  <3 <3 <3 

I really admire how well you're taking care of those kittens. 

Thank you both! They're six (and a half :P ) weeks old now and have thoroughly gotten over their eating hurdles, even the little one is not longer the slightest bit reluctant. They took to litter very shortly after we were able to introduce it, so they're making less laundry. The only thing is they came in with fleas, and no matter how much we flea bath them the bugs always come back...so they'll have to get a proper flea treatment next week when we're able to get them to the vet. They're also trying to wean onto dry food to lower the amount of mess at feeding time. 

-------------

this Challenge hasn't really gone anywhere and I've actually been a little sick and a lot tired off and on, but i have found something that might be useful for the school stuff, and am waiting to hear back about it. have also had some self-image issues that had me kind of panic!exercising on Monday ( feeling a little too desperate to get some kind of toning going on, but at least it got me exercising again ) uhm...Tuesday started off with yet another sick spell. I went years without ever throwing up and now have had four separate spells of it within the past year or so, ew. Today i'm mostly doing housework and organizing stuff. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miaulin said:

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron! It's one I've only recently rediscovered...somehow it hits me right in the feelings every single time.

Spirit!! My very first CD when I was a kid was the Spirit soundtrack, so I'm a fan! It's the saddest darn movie though.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Spirit!! My very first CD when I was a kid was the Spirit soundtrack, so I'm a fan! It's the saddest darn movie though.

It really is! It ends on a high note but there's also the sinking feeling thanks to history that the happy ending didn't last. Still the sheer determination of the main characters, and the bond that forms between them, is beautiful. Plus the soundtrack goes OFF. Which song was/is your favorite? I love "You Can't Take Me"- if mostly for the moment when it plays after the jump as Spirit and Little Creek celebrate, though Brothers Under the Sun is a close second :D 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and it's juuuuuuuust about confirmed now, i'm going to be enrolled in an actual course for my school stuff. This is an actual high school diploma situation instead of a GED, though. Unlike the last time we tried something similar, this one is actually accredited and i've not found any red flags. I'll need to get my ID updated, but otherwise it seems good to go.  

• Like 3

Man I haven’t seen Spirit in forEVER! I really liked that movie as a kid (though not quite as much as my horse-obsessed friend, ha). 

That’s awesome that you found a class! I hope it is indeed legit, and that an in-person arrangement will help you with your studies. <3 ^_^ 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadri said:

Man I haven’t seen Spirit in forEVER! I really liked that movie as a kid (though not quite as much as my horse-obsessed friend, ha). 

That’s awesome that you found a class! I hope it is indeed legit, and that an in-person arrangement will help you with your studies. <3 ^_^ 

Ehehe, i can vaguely remember my first time watching it, but the only scene i actually remember watching is the "Get Off of My Back", which at the time my brother and i thought was the most badass thing we'd ever watched :lol: 

The class is actually online! But they offer coaching via text, email, and/or phone, and the course includes some basic employment skills (like resume and cover letter writing and such) , and a part that's tailored to more specific things (like office management or retail, though they have a variety to pick from). I've just found another option to investigate, but so far this one's looking good! I think the structure of an actual course will help me a lot and feel less like wallowing by myself in the deep end of the ocean :3 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Miaulin said:

Ehehe, i can vaguely remember my first time watching it, but the only scene i actually remember watching is the "Get Off of My Back", which at the time my brother and i thought was the most badass thing we'd ever watched :lol: 

The class is actually online! But they offer coaching via text, email, and/or phone, and the course includes some basic employment skills (like resume and cover letter writing and such) , and a part that's tailored to more specific things (like office management or retail, though they have a variety to pick from). I've just found another option to investigate, but so far this one's looking good! I think the structure of an actual course will help me a lot and feel less like wallowing by myself in the deep end of the ocean :3 

I need to watch it again... I don’t remember any of it xD

Oh! Gotcha. Still, yes, having structure and someone to coach you will be beneficial. :) 

<3

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Miaulin said:

This is SUPER similar to the classes I took when I started at our local community college! They were all online and I learned so much that still benefits me all these years later - I still have people ask me where I learned to [insert helpful office skill] and it's because of those classes. I'm really excited for you and I hope one of the options works out!!  <3 <3 <3 

How is your mom feeling?? I've been gone a lot lately ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shadri said:

Oh! Gotcha. Still, yes, having structure and someone to coach you will be beneficial. :) 

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

This is SUPER similar to the classes I took when I started at our local community college! They were all online and I learned so much that still benefits me all these years later - I still have people ask me where I learned to [insert helpful office skill] and it's because of those classes. I'm really excited for you and I hope one of the options works out!!  <3 <3 <3 

I'm cautiously hopeful about it for sure! My schooling was so scattered at the end (and that was so long ago), i feel like the gaps aren't just in the curriculum i should have learned, but in studenting in general as well? Managing my time, turning in assignments, keeping in contact with a coach/mentor/'boss', even...all stuff that's kind of important. Between that and the actual career-prep part of the course, should this work out i daresay it might actually give me a little confidence boost.

the only other things are that i wouldn't be able to start until April, and it's an 18 month course (though it's possible to finish early since it's self-paced), which would throw off the goal of being done by the end of the year, and also part of the draw is that since it's a diploma, not a ged prep, i wouldn't have to take the GED at the end- which i've been quietly dreading due to my lack of test-taking experience and the fact that there would be others present and i can almost feel that anxiety attack already. So this is a bit of a way to dodge that, which might be a bit cowardly...but i think afterward, at some later point, maybe i could sign up for some kind of other course or certification for something and take a Big Scary Test just to prove to myself that i can? 

still kind of frightened it might turn out to be a no-go, but in the meanwhile i'm just trying to prepare and organize as best i can ^_^ 

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

How is your mom feeling?? I've been gone a lot lately …

She's actually doing much better ! :D She should still probably see a doctor again because she feels something not-quite-right in her knee and it's easy to set it off again, but one of the people at her work recommended turmeric, as he was trying it for a joint issue he was having. It didn't wind up helping him, but mom's been leagues better ever since she started taking it. We don't know if it's just a mind thing or what but we're certainly not complaining. (the guy who recommended it is some sort of, a doctor i think? or perhaps a physical therapist?)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Miaulin said:

turmeric

Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties! :) Still definitely a good idea for her to see a doctor, though - turmeric can have other effects for some people if taken in high doses for an extended time, so she should check with her doctor to make sure it’s okay for her to use. And also just to see what’s up with her knee so they can fix the cause, instead of only treating the symptoms. <3

• Like 3

On 3/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Miaulin said:

It really is! It ends on a high note but there's also the sinking feeling thanks to history that the happy ending didn't last. Still the sheer determination of the main characters, and the bond that forms between them, is beautiful. Plus the soundtrack goes OFF. Which song was/is your favorite? I love "You Can't Take Me"- if mostly for the moment when it plays after the jump as Spirit and Little Creek celebrate, though Brothers Under the Sun is a close second :D 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

and it's juuuuuuuust about confirmed now, i'm going to be enrolled in an actual course for my school stuff. This is an actual high school diploma situation instead of a GED, though. Unlike the last time we tried something similar, this one is actually accredited and i've not found any red flags. I'll need to get my ID updated, but otherwise it seems good to go.  

Oh gosh, that's a hard question! Maybe Get Off of My Back?? But Sound the Bugle used to be my angst song too! They're all really great. 

And that's AWESOME! It sounds like a really good decision for you! FWIW I don't think you need to feel bad that you're avoiding a test if that works better for you...you're putting in the work and getting the diploma, so it doesn't matter how you do it. If anything, finding a new approach that works better for you is an achievement! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shadri said:

Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties! :) Still definitely a good idea for her to see a doctor, though - turmeric can have other effects for some people if taken in high doses for an extended time, so she should check with her doctor to make sure it’s okay for her to use. And also just to see what’s up with her knee so they can fix the cause, instead of only treating the symptoms. <3

We were reading about that; ii had wondered how much was hype and how much was true, but it really seems to be working for her! :lol: she's making me take some too because she read that it can be good for depression, so might as well. I relayed your message that she should still see a doctor, though. I think while her knee is hurting less she wants to keep doing the exercises and stuff at home to get some weight off it first.

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Oh gosh, that's a hard question! Maybe Get Off of My Back?? But Sound the Bugle used to be my angst song too! They're all really great. 

That entire scene is so cool, right down to the way Col. Rattlesnake didn't flinch at the end, Spirit prancing around after throwing the soldiers trying to ride him. The whole movie and its soundtrack held up beautifully over the years. Sound the Bugle is devastating but then inspiring. 

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

And that's AWESOME! It sounds like a really good decision for you! FWIW I don't think you need to feel bad that you're avoiding a test if that works better for you...you're putting in the work and getting the diploma, so it doesn't matter how you do it. If anything, finding a new approach that works better for you is an achievement! 

Thanks! This online course will have exams, so i don't feel like a total 'cheater',  but they just won't involve sitting in a room full of other people, and i'll be able to wear headphones :D I'm excited to do the work. 

-------------------------------------------------

So this Challenge is almost over, but for the next  one, leading up to April, i'm going to do a Positivity Challenge! There's been some stuff going on recently that's pushed and pushed and pushed and i'm in a weird Mood and i've never actually watched Marie Kondo but i'm thinking, KonMari myself, stop wasting mental energy on things that don't feel good/don't really matter. Still puzzling out the how of it but...i really don't even want to be shy anymore :lol: don't really know 'who i am' so to speak but i know the person i want to be and she is positive and kind and puts her best into everything, even when her best is just trying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miaulin said:

I'm cautiously hopeful about it for sure! My schooling was so scattered at the end (and that was so long ago), i feel like the gaps aren't just in the curriculum i should have learned, but in studenting in general as well? Managing my time, turning in assignments, keeping in contact with a coach/mentor/'boss', even...all stuff that's kind of important. Between that and the actual career-prep part of the course, should this work out i daresay it might actually give me a little confidence boost.

I'm so excited for you to stretch your studenting muscles and remember how to do all that again!! It sounds so good in all the ways and I hope very much it works out!

1 hour ago, Miaulin said:

the only other things are that i wouldn't be able to start until April, and it's an 18 month course (though it's possible to finish early since it's self-paced), which would throw off the goal of being done by the end of the year, and also part of the draw is that since it's a diploma, not a ged prep, i wouldn't have to take the GED at the end- which i've been quietly dreading due to my lack of test-taking experience and the fact that there would be others present and i can almost feel that anxiety attack already. So this is a bit of a way to dodge that, which might be a bit cowardly...but i think afterward, at some later point, maybe i could sign up for some kind of other course or certification for something and take a Big Scary Test just to prove to myself that i can?

I do NOT blame you for dreading the GED, and if this diploma program will give you a way to get that piece of paper (as my mom affectionately says) and move ahead to something else, that might be a fantastic solution. You're right, you can take the GED later on once you're back in the groove of studying and test-taking and whatnot.  :) 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, Miaulin said:

She's actually doing much better ! :D She should still probably see a doctor again because she feels something not-quite-right in her knee and it's easy to set it off again, but one of the people at her work recommended turmeric, as he was trying it for a joint issue he was having. It didn't wind up helping him, but mom's been leagues better ever since she started taking it. We don't know if it's just a mind thing or what but we're certainly not complaining. (the guy who recommended it is some sort of, a doctor i think? or perhaps a physical therapist?)

Oh I missed this part!! I'm so glad your mom is feeling better - anything that helps her wait until she can see the doctor is a great thing. One of my friends swears by turmeric for her joints too!

• Like 2

Hey Mia thanks for all your support on my thread :)

Looking forward to your positivity challenge, i may steal some :D xx

• Like 1

Unexpectedly got a decent bit done today (Monday) No fitness stuffs really (...i will go drink some water after i post this....heck and do a workout ashjsasfhaj) but, decided to get the dirty laundry out of my room, which turned into sweeping the floor, which turned into a general tidying-up and rearranging, moving the kitty kennel to a different part of the room, getting my bedding washed and other laundry stuff as well. Will do the kitchen and/or the bathroom tomorrow.

The one unpleasant bit about all this is that it stormed heavily yesterday, and this house (built...yes kind of poorly...in the early 70's) has kind of weird plumbing and when you do laundry after a rain, everything backs up, so you get water coming out of the bathroom into the hallway, and, ickier still, sometimes a bit of sewage coming up in the bathtub (hence why absolutely NO bubble baths after a rain, just to be safe :lol: ) so really i should've paid attention and done this all a different day, but ah well. Grandad's a little irritated but not too angry.

During the cleaning, i was moving a bin and peeked inside on impulse. inside, there was a coffee mug i very much remember my great-grandmother using- kind of her designated mug actually. She might have drunk coffee from it, but mostly i remember sleepytime tea (by Celestial Seasonings?) which she'd give me some of when i'd stay over.

Had some things to muse about but can't quite formulate the thinks into words so instead i'll just say that the 'local' theatre (it's the nearest city over) is doing a production of Romeo and Juliet and honestly?

tumblr_inline_pnps48r5Rm1uyw3yf_1280.jpg

i really want to go see it D'X according to the website, this interpretation is set in 20th century America. The same company is doing Hamlet on my birthday this year, and though  i usually don't care about/actively avoid my birthday, it's pretty exciting i think!  ( we've been to...four shows by this company? The Importance of Being Earnest, Beauty and the Beast, and Christmas Carol two different years. It's been a few years since any of those but they're always excellent )

• Like 2