• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky attends the "Ron Swanson School of Excellence"

Recommended Posts

School.jpg

 

So.... my holiday is now over and with no interruptions on the horizon it's time to get back into it...

 

Many carbs and much alohol was consumed and I did gain a couple of kgs on holiday... but...

sub-buzz-20571-1464290919-1.jpg

 

I've got a lot going on this challenge so I'm only focusing on 2 things.

 

FOODZ:

format-1500w.gif

 

1. Getting my food sorted out again. I will be going back to a low carb deal because it's easy and it works. Also going back to no gluten. I've had a fair bit over the last week and all my joints are swollen and painful. So the goal will be +1 CON for every 500g lost at the end of the challenge. Starting with a weight today of 103.5kg. Ideally, I would like to be under 100kg.

 

 

GYM:

sub-buzz-23231-1464290657-1.png

 

2. Setting PR's. I like lifting and it's time to ramp shit up again. I will be ficusing on DLs (because they don't bother my adductor very much) and Benching. The only squatting I will be doing will be some front squats, mostly because they limit how much weight I can use (again, trying to ease the load on the adductor). Generally, for me at least, as long as either Squats or DLs go up, the other follows close behind. So I'm pretty sure that if I start breaking PRs on DLs, then it won't take much to bring my squat back up after the adductor has had some time to stop being a dick. As per usual: +1 STR for every PR.

 

 

That is all...

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holiday snaps:

 

This is us leaving Australia:

20190202-174448.jpg

 

An aquarium (one of the trips highlights):

20190204-155730.jpg

 

A beach (super clear water, had a good time snorkling, saw many fish):

20190205-121614.jpg

 

A cave:

20190205-132456.jpg

 

A lagoon (with ridiculously blue water):

20190206-093917.jpg

 

20190206-094012.jpg

 

 

The holiday was pretty darned good and it was nice to have a week off before my routine gets screwed up. But it did have some bad bits to counbter the good bits.

 

The bed seemed to have been specially designed to be the shittest bed on the planet and the pillows were crap too. After the first night, my neck was screwed up and when I tried to stretch it out, something went snap and I had the frozen neck thing again (and still have it now - hopefully my own bed and pillows will help to relieve it).

 

It also managed to rain at every place we stopped at. Which meant wet clothes, which meant chafing...

 

But the good bits were gooderer... We went to Noumea in New Caledonia... which means I've technically been to France. Saw an pretty good aquarium (our holidays are basically just a checklist of aquariums around the world). Went snorkeling and saw a heap of awesome fish. Drank Kava and bought some home with us. Swam with some big sea turtles - one of which was 200 years old. And ate some tropical fruits (which we do have at home, but ours taste terrible in comparison).

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, the holiday sounds lovely. That lagoon water looks like a magical potion that could heal any ailment. The neck things sounds terrible. But you seem to overcome every injury, so I'm not too worried for you.

 

...I am slightly worried about your chart, especially the point about cultivating a manly musk to put your opponents on notice. Then again I just read something in the NY times about how grunting very loudly (in sports) both increases your own performance, but also has the effect of distracting your opponent and lowering their performance. So I guess I'm open to the idea that cultivating musk for offensive purposes could be scientifically sound practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

 

But the good bits were gooderer... We went to Noumea in New Caledonia... which means I've technically been to France. Saw an pretty good aquarium (our holidays are basically just a checklist of aquariums around the world). Went snorkeling and saw a heap of awesome fish. Drank Kava and bought some home with us. Swam with some big sea turtles - one of which was 200 years old. And ate some tropical fruits (which we do have at home, but ours taste terrible in comparison).

 

 

And now I've added New Caledonia to my list of places to visit whenever I return to that part of the world. It looks lovely! Also kava. I've always wondered if it still tastes bitter to me after all these years of drinking black coffee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, the holiday sounds lovely. That lagoon water looks like a magical potion that could heal any ailment. The neck things sounds terrible. But you seem to overcome every injury, so I'm not too worried for you.

 

A night in my own bed has already done wonders. The lagoon was ridiculous - incredibly clear and blue but also incredibly salty... even for sea water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

 

 

And now I've added New Caledonia to my list of places to visit whenever I return to that part of the world. It looks lovely! Also kava. I've always wondered if it still tastes bitter to me after all these years of drinking black coffee. 

 

To me it tasted like mud mixed with a bit of pepper. But I DID sleep better after it.

 

If you had to pick one place in this region, I'd go with Vanuatu. It had less western influence and seemed more 'Island-y'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday 10 Feb

 

Foodishness:

 

Not a bad start to the challenge at all. Skipped brekky and just had coffee. Lunch was steak and salad and dinner is going to be roast pork. No snackies yet. Still having a few sugar free drinks through the day but I'll phase them out slowly over the next week and get back to drinking water only.

 

Weight is actually a bit up over yesterday. Now 103.9kg. But I'm expecting a bit of water loss as I cut the carbs.

 

Liftiness:

 

Did some conditioning today. 12 mins of ball slamming and kettlebell swings and 6 mins of cycling. Just felt like I needed to move a bit. I have DLs tomorrow and I'm feeling tight especially in the hips.

 

Other Things:

 

Had a russian lesson today. Still hard. I was very unprepared after a week of holiday.

___________________________________________________________________________

sub-buzz-18970-1464288911-3.png

___________________________________________________________________________

SCORE

Fatness:

  Current: 103.9kg

  Goal: 100kg

  Points: 0 so far.

Lifting:

  PRs: 0

  Rep PRs: 0

  Points: 0

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mon 11 Feb

 

Foodishness:

 

Another pretty good day. Bacon and eggs for brekky, steak and salad for lunch and there will be something stir-fryish for dins.

 

Did not check weight today... but I think I should be down, my system has been purging hard since we got home from holiday.

 

Liftiness:

 

Today was annoying right from the start... the ball slams and kettleball swings yesterday gave me some good leg DOMs... which had the unfortunate side effect of masking any sensations from my adductor today. So I had to go easy, just in case.

 

Block Pulls: top single of 170kg.

Front Skwaats: a thoroughly underwhelming 3 x 3 at 70kg. In my defence, it's been literally years (3ish years?) since I've front squatted. It's going to take time to get used to the rack position again. On the bright side, the narrower stance and the ability to bounce out of the bottom position took all the stress away from the adductors. After this 3 week block, I'll go back to regular squatting but with a narrower dtance and oly shoes and see if I can make progress that way.

More Block Pulls: For a bit of volume, I did 5's up to 130kg.

Leg Press: 8's up to 180kg.

Back Extensions: 3 x 8 with 10kg.

 

Other Things:

 

I went stationery shopping today to get some stuff for my upcoming schooling and some more flash cards for my russian-ing. It felt like I was in a toy store... I could have easily walked out with a lot of stupid shit I don't need.

 

Did a little bit of Duolingo-ing today but nothing else on the Russian front.

___________________________________________________________________________

1a9c5c7f97e48cf146dc135b711cbce9.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________

SCORE

Fatness:

  Current: 103.9kg

  Goal: 100kg

  Points: 0 so far.

Lifting:

  PRs: 0

  Rep PRs: 0

  Points: 0

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blocky said:

I went stationery shopping today to get some stuff for my upcoming schooling and some more flash cards for my russian-ing. It felt like I was in a toy store... I could have easily walked out with a lot of stupid shit I don't need.

 

Поздравляю тебе on walking out responsibly. 

 

Нашла тебя.... и следую тебя, тоже.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

Поздравляю тебе on walking out responsibly. 

 

 

Heh... being poor helps.

 

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

Нашла тебя.... и следую тебя, тоже.



 

Thanks.

 

Funny thing... all the verbs that come from идти (like Нашла) are annoying to me with their past tense... I'm finding them very hard to remember, unlike most verbs where you just add л, лa, etc...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Vacation sounds lovely, those are some great photos!

 

It was pretty good (except for the rain). Re: photos, I have so many more... literally filled my camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tue 12 Feb

 

Foodishness:

 

Still doing well. Portion size has come down quite a bit and food quality is high.

 

Weighed in today at 102.3kg - that's 1.2kg down already (all fluid I'm asuming).

 

Liftiness:

 

Rest day... just a little light cardio - did a little circuit of box squats, OHP and TRX Rows for 12 mins. Plus some stretching/mobility.

 

Other Things:

  

Did a little bit more Duolingo-ing today. Also started re-writing my flash cards for my verbs.

___________________________________________________________________________



___________________________________________________________________________

SCORE

Fatness:

  Start: 103.5kg

  Current: 102.3kg

  Goal: 100kg

  Points: 2

Lifting:

  PRs: 0

  Rep PRs: 0

  Points: 0

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Heh... being poor helps.

 

Yup, I hear you on that one. And limited storage space at home.

 

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Funny thing... all the verbs that come from идти (like Нашла) are annoying to me with their past tense... I'm finding them very hard to remember, unlike most verbs where you just add л, лa, etc...

 

Ahhh, irregular verbs. Russian has relatively few, but yeah, it's never fun. Have you run across the tongue-twister "Шла Саша по шоссе и сосала сушку" yet (Sasha walked down the highway, sucking on pretzels)? Good way to remember at least one form of it and the phrase is fun to say. 

 

5 hours ago, Blocky said:

Did a little bit more Duolingo-ing today. Also started re-writing my flash cards for my verbs.

 

Woot, прогресс!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wed 13 Feb

 

Foodishness:

 

Only had 1 meal so far today... bacon, sos and eggs. All good.

 

Liftiness:

 

Had a good day. Bench pressing on Saturday felt awful after my week off, but today was great.

 

Max Effort Upper:

 

- Bench Press vs reverse bands (+20kg at lockout): New 1RM of 125kg (145kg at lockout). Up 2.5kg. Unexpected, but noice.

- Floor Press: 5 x 5 at 90kg. (superset with Pendlay rows - 5's at 80kg)

- Closegrip Bench: 8's up to 70kg. (superset with BB rows - 8's at 60kg)

- Accessories: pushdowns, hammercurls, tricep extensions.

 

Vid:

 

 

Other Things:

  

A bit of a weird day... full disclosure: spoiler includes the word testicle...

Spoiler

Mrs Blocky and I are getting some fertility testing done, to see if we can make a little Blocky.

 

For some reason, our doctor today decided the first step for me was measuring my testicles (I am completely unsure why...), which of course brought the following to mind:

s-l300.jpg

 

I'm still unsure why this was neccessary as I still have to provide samples for lab anyway (which I would assume would be the first step anyway)...

 

Just in case anyone was wondering... everything is normal, bordering on spectacular...

___________________________________________________________________________

ron-swanson.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________

SCORE

Fatness:

  Start: 103.5kg

  Current: 102.3kg

  Goal: 100kg

  Points: 2

Lifting:

  PRs: 1

  Rep PRs: 0

  Points: 1

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blocky said:

I'm still unsure why this was neccessary as I still have to provide samples for lab anyway (which I would assume would be the first step anyway)...

 

Just in case anyone was wondering... everything is normal, bordering on spectacular...

 

Perhaps to make you comfortable with other people doing the inspections, later on? Seems odd, but I am certainly no expert on any of that. Grats on the spectacularity. :D And the new 1rm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

 

Perhaps to make you comfortable with other people doing the inspections, later on? Seems odd, but I am certainly no expert on any of that.


Maybe we should google it to find out :D  Nothing disturbing could possibly appear if we use exactly the right search terms, right?

So, with the bench vs bands, does it only take weight off at the bottom of the movement? So you can practice the lockout section? Anyway, 145kg is pretty rad, congrats :)
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following for support and envy of the vacation!

 

Good luck with the pyramid of greatness, few can make it through it all...

 

Ron Swanson and Dr. Cox are my personal heroes...they should be saints...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 2:05 AM, Blocky said:

The bed seemed to have been specially designed to be the shittest bed on the planet and the pillows were crap too. After the first night, my neck was screwed up and when I tried to stretch it out, something went snap and I had the frozen neck thing again (and still have it now - hopefully my own bed and pillows will help to relieve it).

 

 

THE WORST. i got a terrible muscle strain in my upper trap (or rhomoids idk) on our honeymoon last month. it was awful.

 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:11 PM, Blocky said:

 

A night in my own bed has already done wonders. 

 

awesome! and already back at it I see. keep it up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

So, with the bench vs bands, does it only take weight off at the bottom of the movement? So you can practice the lockout section?

 

On a basic level... yes... but there's more to it.

 

Reverse bands:

 

- reduces the weight on the chest - makes the top harder.

- the bands stabilise the weight a little bit, meaning you can exert more force without worrying as much about bar path

- because the weight gets incrementally heavier - you have to improve the speed of the press (always helpful to get through sticking points).

- improves confidence by handling bigger weights.

 

Normal band steup up (ie: from floor over the bar):

 

- Makes the lock out harder.

- the bands stabilise the weight a little bit, meaning you can exert more force without worrying as much about bar path

- because the weight gets incrementally heavier - you have to improve the speed of the press (always helpful to get through sticking points). This setup is harder than reverse bands.

- the bands pull the weight down to the chest with more than just the force of gravity (overspeed eccentric), ie: makes you work harder to reisist the weight falling.

 

Normal band steup up (ie: from floor over the bar):

 

- Makes the lock out harder.

- because the weight gets incrementally heavier - you have to improve the speed of the press (always helpful to get through sticking points). The incrememental increase is smoother with chains with a constant increase (unlike bands which get harder towards lockout)

- slightly less stressful on the joints than bands - a bit more useful for hypertrophy work.

 

All of this applies to squatting and deadlifting as well as benching (except replace "weight on the chest" with "weight in the hole/on the floor" and "press" with "squat/DL"....

 

 

I would say that these methods are most useful as a way to improve power/force production to allow you to blast through sticking points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, farflight said:

Following for support and envy of the vacation!

 

Good luck with the pyramid of greatness, few can make it through it all...

 

Ron Swanson and Dr. Cox are my personal heroes...they should be saints...

 

Dang... I forgot about Doc Cox...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

 

THE WORST. i got a terrible muscle strain in my upper trap (or rhomoids idk) on our honeymoon last month. it was awful.

 

 

Neck pain is a really good way to ruin a vacation.... mine is coming from around the scaplulae. Got a sports masssage done yesterday and wailed like a child while he found all the knots and beat them into submission... feels a bit better today.

 

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

 

awesome! and already back at it I see. keep it up!   

 

 

If I stopped everytime something was hurting, I'd never get any thing done. I'm a bit like a shark, gotta keep moving or I'll die...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

Congrats on the PR and borderline spectacular man bits.

 

If I don't let everyone know about it... who will?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now