• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Birth Control - wrong for 60 years.

For anyone who hasn’t yet read about this fact, apparently there is no benefit whatsoever to having a monthly break in your birth control (and therefore having a period)!  It’s actually quite shocking that this has just been accepted medical advice  for 60-frigging-years with no real basis in fact.  But then, it’s just women, so it doesn’t really matter right? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Wait, were they recommending that you should have your period every month because it 'works better', or just as peace of mind that it was working properly?

I know that OB-GYNs have definitely recommended to some friends who have heavy bleeding & cramps just to skip the placebo pills, so the knowledge has been there for a while... 

I had always assumed it's common knowledge that you don't actually have to take that 'break' every month, but I suppose I rarely ever talk to people about their birth control. :P

• Like 1

I’ve read stories of female athletes doing this (why get your womanly time in the middle of a big event just to ‘make sure’ the plumbing works?) and when I was on the pill I did it because the off-week always gave me migraines. It was great to go 3-4 months without a period. 

I thought everyone knew that, but guess what everyone doesn't know: that the monthly pill packs include a week of placebos just to make you bleed!  I still remember explaining that to a guy friend a couple years ago (hence why I normally tossed the pack after 3 weeks).  He was astonished and I didn't blame him, it's bleeping ridiculous to pay for a prescription drug that comes in 4-week packs where literally 1/4 of the pills you're buying are duds.  This is one of the many reasons we still need feminism.  Etc.

as someone who has been on the pill and IUD, if you can get it and are okay with it, the IUD is the way to go.  You can still have your flow, but it's often lighter and mine stopped altogether.  I'm on the other side of menopause but I sure wish I had used the IUD the whole time.  the IUD I had was a Mirena.   You do get one big cramp as it is being inserted and one when it come out, but I loved the ability to just forget about the whole thing for 5 years. 

I've been on the depo shot for years and have zero periods on it and LOVE IT. I took a 1.5ish year break to experiment for the IUD and I know a lot of women love them, but mine was mildly uncomfortable the entire time.

The other bullshit we've been dealing with for years for no good reason...annual exams. I was all prepared last week to essentially get raped just so I can keep getting my birth control and was told that now they only do it every 5 years so I'm not due until 2023.

22 hours ago, Maigs said:

I've been on the depo shot for years and have zero periods on it and LOVE IT. I took a 1.5ish year break to experiment for the IUD and I know a lot of women love them, but mine was mildly uncomfortable the entire time.

The other bullshit we've been dealing with for years for no good reason...annual exams. I was all prepared last week to essentially get raped just so I can keep getting my birth control and was told that now they only do it every 5 years so I'm not due until 2023.

Wait, wait.  Getting a gyn exam is not getting raped.  It never will be.  It is to check for cancer.  To compare it to rape is utterly irresponsible and ignorant. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Velkyn said:

Wait, wait.  Getting a gyn exam is not getting raped.  It never will be.  It is to check for cancer.  To compare it to rape is utterly irresponsible and ignorant. 

I'm coerced into doing something I really don't like and am denied something that should be a basic human right if I refuse. That's rape. It would not be rape if I willingly asked for an exam, but I did not. I've never held it against the doctors at all and have never given then even a tiny bit of crap for it, I don't blame them in the slightest.

19 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I'm coerced into doing something I really don't like and am denied something that should be a basic human right if I refuse. That's rape. It would not be rape if I willingly asked for an exam, but I did not. I've never held it against the doctors at all and have never given then even a tiny bit of crap for it, I don't blame them in the slightest.

But you are claiming that they rape you by giving you a pap test to see if you may have cancer and requiring it to get a new installation of birth control which can have side effects. 

I hope you are never raped for real. 

• Like 1

Ladies, let's please keep in mind that all of us have different experiences - what some find clinical others find invasive, and vice versa. It seems that this thread is a potentially useful place to discuss some of the issues with healthcare, but lets keep it civil and productive - please avoid blanket statements that assume other people's experiences (from all directions), and keep an open mind. We are here to support and learn from each other :) 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Ladies, let's please keep in mind that all of us have different experiences - what some find clinical others find invasive, and vice versa. It seems that this thread is a potentially useful place to discuss some of the issues with healthcare, but lets keep it civil and productive - please avoid blanket statements that assume other people's experiences (from all directions), and keep an open mind. We are here to support and learn from each other :) 

thoughtless hyperbole is not productive.  I understand the desire to do so, but to claim that inconvenience, be it scary or embarassing, is equivalent to rape is not supportive of people who have been raped. 

1 minute ago, Velkyn said:

thoughtless hyperbole is not productive.  I understand the desire to do so, but to claim that inconvenience, be it scary or embarassing, is equivalent to rape is not supportive of people who have been raped. 

It is not for us to determine someone else's experience on the OB table - there have been many recorded instances of assault in that environment. Likewise, it is equally important not to put our own experiences on others - referring to a medical examination as rape is not only potentially triggering, it dismisses the importance of women's already limited healthcare and draws attention away from the issue that receiving birth control is contingent on getting regular exams. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

It is not for us to determine someone else's experience on the OB table - there have been many recorded instances of assault in that environment. Likewise, it is equally important not to put our own experiences on others - referring to a medical examination as rape is not only potentially triggering, it dismisses the importance of women's already limited healthcare and draws attention away from the issue that receiving birth control is contingent on getting regular exams. 

I do not agree with your attempt to find equivalency based on assumptions.  I am done here. 

To be clear, these are moderator notes to all participating posters as well as the many readers who do not post - it is not my position to agree or disagree with anyone. Women's healthcare is an important issue and something we should be able to discuss. The language we use determines how productive the conversation is and finding common ground between different beliefs allows us to move forward. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1