• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CloudNerd

Level 1 for the second turn

I just finished my "first time challenge" - it was not too bad, but on the one hand it wasn't too challenging and on the other hand, I had a sub-goal that I didn't accomplish.

I'll keep myself in Level 1 until I get into the flow ...

My main quest is still: Loose 15kg (33 Pounds)

My goals/ quests for the upcoming 4-week-challenge will be:

1. Don't eat sweets or potato chips at all

2. Exercise per week: 1 x running (outside), 1x crosstrainer (at home), 1x lifting weights (at home)

3. Meditate daily for a few minutes using headspace

These goals are challenging but they are achievable - and all of them will have a massive impact on my life with great results after 4 weeks.

• Like 2

Hey @CloudNerd, can I suggest adding a grading element to your challenge?  I find that if it’s just a pass/fail sorta thing then I can get derailed easily by a couple of bad days, whereas if I have a grading system then I can still see progress even if I don’t manage to stick to my goals 100% of the time (it is after all about improvement and sustainability rather than passing/failing). 

Something like:

Chips

0x per week = A

1x per week = B

3x per week = C

4x per week = Fail

(In this system you also need to decide how to average out your weekly score to an overall score)

OR 

1-3 during challenge = A

4-6 during challenge = B

7-9 during challenge = C

etc. 

I find it really helps to have a system like this so that I don’t lose heart or feel defeated.  It also allows me to be objective about my performance rather than think I failed when I maybe actually achieved my goals 80% of the time. :) 

• Like 2

Just to confuse things,I 'm going to disagree and suggest there is no need for grading your challenge at all. I say that specifically because when I try to do that with my challenges, I completely fail to keep track and the grading system falls apart. :P 

That said, if a grading system is not for you, it's a very good idea to build in some other kind of mechanic that can serve as a reminder to stay away from the all-or-nothing mindset that easily can make us believe that if we are not perfect, we failed. Or if grading really is for you, an app that tracks how often you manage to meet your goal will make that a lot easier. Progress is what matters here, not perfection. Like Guzzi said, the goal is improvement and sustainability for the long haul.

Headspace is a fantastic app, and meditation can have tremendous benefits for our mental and emotional well-being. Do you plan to meditate in the mornings or in the evenings? What is your plan for turning it from a chore/goal into a habit?

• Like 2

Nice job on specifying your goals this challenge. While I also agree with the grading being a personal preference, I also agree with what else scalyfreak posted about progress not perfection. 

Here's to you feeling like you make more progress this challenge!

• Like 1

Hey there CloudNerd! Congrats on finishing your first challenge. I hope this second one goes even better. Meditation is one of my goals as well. I have never used the Head Space app but I've heard really great things, so I went ahead and downloaded it too. I look forward to following along on your journey. Best of luck!

--Elly--

On 2/10/2019 at 11:53 PM, scalyfreak said:

Headspace is a fantastic app, and meditation can have tremendous benefits for our mental and emotional well-being. Do you plan to meditate in the mornings or in the evenings? What is your plan for turning it from a chore/goal into a habit?

In the long-run, I hope to establish a routine to meditate in the mornings, but to do so I would need to go to sleep not that late, so I can get up  before everyone else is getting up. And this would include to improve my sleeping-quality. I working on this but for now, I'll meditate at the lunchbreak at the office.

I guess one of the upcoming 4-week challenges will include something like getting up early ...

• Like 1

*waves hand* I am also meditating daily for my challenge.  It's so good for you and Ia m so bad at doing it routinely.  I swear I used to have free time.

GL with your challenge!  I prefer a tracker to a grading system and I do it in my bullet journal.  Accountability good,  self judgement bad. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 7:03 PM, CloudNerd said:

In the long-run, I hope to establish a routine to meditate in the mornings, but to do so I would need to go to sleep not that late, so I can get up  before everyone else is getting up. And this would include to improve my sleeping-quality. I working on this but for now, I'll meditate at the lunchbreak at the office.

I guess one of the upcoming 4-week challenges will include something like getting up early ...

Oh man! Good luck getting up.  

It sucks because the bed is such a cozy place to be, but I do believe "Discipline equals freedom" means just what you want to do.  

You got this! 

• Like 1