• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Moros

Moros Helps and is helped

Hey Everyone!

Things got slightly out of control last challenge.  Not terrible, just out of control:

giphy.gif

Recently, I have received one of those signs from the universe - you know, when your wife, your counselor, your friends, some random people off the street, and small children say the same thing:

YOU NEED TO GET SOME HELP FOR THINGS. 

So, my theme is about asking for help, and giving help to others.

29d4fc19df711791642bd2f87b4632ce.jpg

So, my fitness goals are pretty much unchanged, except that I will be on the forums more to give support when I can, and be a little less coy about my own stuff.  Currently, I am really struggling with recording my food.  I get a few days of recording in, then it all blows up.  It's pretty clear that I have a lot more emotions about food than I would like to admit.  Since food is 80% of the battle at Nerd Fitness, this is something I really need to work on.  I also need to check in more often, so that I am accountable to everyone and myself.

Details of the challenge are below the fold.

Spoiler

Challenge 38.txt - Moros helps and is helped
Dates: 2019.02.11 to 2019.03.10

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Goals for this challenge:

1. Sleep and Morning Exercises (Red)
    A. Meditation with Calm                           - 2 pts each time = 14 pts
    B. Mon, Wed, Fri - Legionary Workouts             - 5 pts each time = 15 pts
    C. Tue, Thu      - Ranger Workouts                - 3 pts each time =  6 pts    
    Total: 35 pts

2. Lunchtime quests (Yellow)
    A. Give support to at least three NF people in    - 2 pts each time = 14 pts
       the forums each day
    Total: 14 pts

3. Evening Health Routines (Green)
    A. Evening Preparation, including NF posts        - 2 pts each time = 14 pts
    B. Sun - Plan and work on NFAcademy quests        - 5 pts each time =  5 pts
    Total: 19 pts

Total Exercise Points: 73

4. Food - the 80% of the battle (Orange)
    F1. Record Food Daily Using Notebook             -  2 pts each time = 42 pts
    F2. Drink water bottle daily                     -  2 pts each time = 14 pts
    F3. Omega 3 seafood - 5oz                        -  5 pts each time = 10 pts
    F4. Better Brain book 30 min and take notes      -  5 pts each time = 10 pts
    Total: 76 pts

149 points a week

2019 Fitness Goals - Last Updated 2019.02.10

1. Complete the Nerd Fitness Academy quests by December 31st, 2019.
2. Be able to do 50 bodyweight pushups by October 29th, 2019.

Intentions that need to be converted into goals:

1. I am the type of person who eats healthy every day.
2. I eat celebration meals without guilt or shame.
3. Use "The Better Brain Solution" by Steven Masley as well as NF food
   recommendations to improve my diet

Use Strategy Goals, wherever possible, from SuperBetter:

"...Instead of focusing on a specific outcome (as with a difficult goal)
or a general effort level (as with a do-your-best goal), you put your
attention on learning and improving concrete skills and strategies that
will help you do better in the future...

"...When you adopt a strategy goal, you can be successful regardless of whether
you win the race or even finish it; and regardless of whether you’re 100 percent
debt-free in a year or just well on your way. You’re successful as long as
you’re learning and improving..."
About (redacted):

Like a lot of NF people, I struggle with stuff besides physical fitness.  
I generally don't bring it up in this forum for a couple of reasons:

1. Because of my and Ms. Moros's jobs, I have to be careful to not be too
    specific.

2. I am very fortunate that I have a pretty good support system for stuff
    like ADHD, anxiety, depression, friends and romantic partners going
    through trauma work, family illness and trauma.  I know a lot of people
    at NF who aren't so fortunate, so I want to make it clear that I'm not
    judging anyone else's choice to share.  For me, NF is about getting
    physically healthier and getting more awesome (Rangerly) overall.  
    So, I try to keep the focus here on my physical stuff, not my emotional stuff.
    I have a tendency to over-share and I would rather be helpful to others
    here than complain about my own stuff.

Possible Challenges and Adaption Strategies:

1. Make-up times - Sunday is reserved as a rest day, or as a make-up
   time for things not yet done.  Evenings can be make-up times also.

2. Plague Protocols - if really sick, sleep deprived, double points
   for whatever I get done.
   Do easiest to hardest - stop when I can't do more.
   Currently that is:

A. Calm meditation
       B. Record Daily Food
       C. Prepare for the next day
    D. Yoga (restorative or Yin) rather than active Yoga
    E. Walking
    K. Bodyweight workouts

Do other things to replace points:
    L. Reading about better form for exercises

3. Workout substitutions - when I can't do normal workouts for whatever
   reason

- Can swim laps, or use bike, or walk at YMCA

4. Redacted Protocols

Very well thought out goals for 2019.I like it. I really like your goal for eating celebration meals without guilt or shame. That is something I am working on too. Well, actually all meals that way. But realizing that I am going to eat more at special meals (that's part of the celebrating) Never heard of the book The Better Brain Solution. What is it about? Interested to hear your thoughts on it as you read.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Very well thought out goals for 2019.I like it. I really like your goal for eating celebration meals without guilt or shame. That is something I am working on too. Well, actually all meals that way. But realizing that I am going to eat more at special meals (that's part of the celebrating) Never heard of the book The Better Brain Solution. What is it about? Interested to hear your thoughts on it as you read.

So the Better Brain Solution is a paleoish diet (low carb, lean proteints, lots of vegetables), but is focused on keeping brain function up.  So, I find the book being sort of double-motivation.  Some changes that I have made is slightly increasing my Vitamin D intake, and adding a lot more omega-3s.  It seems to be helping my concentration.

The link is at: https://www.amazon.com/Better-Brain-Solution-Age-Resistance-ebook/dp/B071KRYFCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1549853357&sr=1-1&keywords=better+brain+solution

A lot of the other parts are very Nerd Fitness, but there are some other things.  For example, I have bought some Matcha Tea to try.

• Like 1

Days 1 - 2 - A little frenzied

So, things were a little scrambled.  I had an exam to give, which eats a lot of time.  As a teacher, I will say that giving exams is as fun as taking one.  I expect no one to be sympathetic, but it is actually true:

funny-teaching-wins-60__605.jpg

Also, more seriously, Ms. Moros is in Texas, taking care of her mom. Her mom had a planned knee replacement surgery Monday morning.  It went well, but obviously there is a painful rehab period, and so Ms Moros will be down there for at least a week, maybe more.  So, I am home, trying to keep our cats from eating me.

I did do my yoga on Monday, and all of my food logging.  This morning, I woke up with really oochy tummy, and it was hard to do much of everything.  I'm going to have to track this, since stomach upset is a common issue for me.  I will not be posting those logs, however :)

Food Points: 16

Exercise Points: 17

Day 3 - More Bananas

So, I did not start of the day right - I stayed up way too late the previous day (like 12:30am).  Since I normally get up at 5:00am, this is not a good thing.  This is an example of self-sabotage for me.  This threw most of the day off, and normally, this would have tanked the day completely.  I navigated through the storm, and the end of the day came out well.

I'm not eating very healthy while Ms. Moros is gone, and I need to get back to healthier patterns.  Taco Bell is not a good long-term strategy for me :(

Part of it is that I am still fighting off a cold, and it's slowing me down.  I'm not invoking plague protocols, but I am working from home today (Day 4).

Food Points: 24

Exercise Points: 19

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 12:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

nmain-qimg-27967379582950bb442ce7299f5d7a

I hope you figure out what's causing the stomach issues. Most likely culprit is dairy. 

Sadly, I think you are right.  I think I said somewhere that pizza is my kryptonite.  I actually think it's "carbs + cheese" is my kryptonite.

• Like 1

Week 1 Update:

Positives:

• Did well on meditation and did Yoga (including a pretty hard session on Sunday morning).
  • The Yoga class was actually the first one I went to by myself, without Ms. Moros.  That was actually a big step for me.
  • I got  my omega-3s in both times, and I got back to reading better brain.
  • I recorded food 5/7 days.  Still a big struggle

Challenges to overcome:

• I'm annoyed at myself for not posting more regularly.  I need to put it into my schedule
  • My evening prep fell down towards the end of the week.
  • I had a (redacted) event that upset me a lot.  It damaged my self-care, which is something I want to work on.  When (redacted) things happen, I need more self-care, not less.
  • I wasn't as helpful to others as I wanted to be.  Again, I want to better on this.

Food Points: 45/73

Exercise Points: 57/76

• Like 2

Days 8 - 9 Getting back into the groove

So, Monday and Tuesday went better for me.  Did some posting on other people's threads, and continued to eat the salmon I cooked over the weekend.  I'm trying to up my omega-3 consumption, and I do really notice that my brain seems clearer when I do that.  Got a big thing done at work, which felt really good.  It's nice to have Ms. Moros back in town.  Read a lot more of Better for your Brain.

52c1b4bf0b0ba.jpeg

Exercise Points: 58

Food Points: 83

• Like 1

Moros, somehow you completely fell off my radar.

That changes now!

Let me know how you are doing.

And i want you to take me up on my offer:

On 2/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, Moros said:

and I would rather be helpful to others here than complain about my own stuff.

My FB IM is open any time!