• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi all, my name is Hrafn, I'm 30 years old, father to two wonderful daughters (3&7) and married. My wife and I ha e been together for 14 years now. My wife has muscular dystrophy and is wheelchair bound. I am her main carer and do not work. I suffer from mental health problems and struggle with them daily. I'm looking to get back into fitness after a long hiatus. I completed a tough mudder way back in 2014 and since declined and neglected my own body. I enjoy playing xbox, reading and I also started viking reenactment back in August. 

Goals

My main goal is to drop my body weight down into a healthier range, around 75kg is what I'm looking for. Currently weighing in at 95kgs. My side quests are to reduce the amount I vape and to start eating more varied foods. 

I think that just about covers everything. 

He should early rise,

who another’s property or life

desires to have.

Seldom a sluggish wolf

gets prey,

or a sleeping man victory.

• Like 3

My goals for the first 4 week challenge:

Drop at least 1kg a week

Diet:

Eat 1 piece of fruit a day

Drop 1 sugar from coffee each week

Drink 3L of water daily

Fitness:

Morning yoga every other day

Complete 10k steps daily

Train with axe and shield twice a week on top of reenactment training. 

Level up life:

Make more small talk

Brush teeth twice a day

Be happier.

• Like 3

Hey! Welcome from another Brit, although I’m at the opposite endo of the UK, in Shetland (where we have real Vikings, arrrrrgh!). 

Your goals look good, but I’ll share what I just posted to someone else’s thread about grading.  It really helps to have a fixed framework. 

2 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Hey, can I suggest adding a grading element to your challenge?  I find that if it’s just a pass/fail sorta thing then I can get derailed easily by a couple of bad days, whereas if I have a grading system then I can still see progress even if I don’t manage to stick to my goals 100% of the time (it is after all about improvement and sustainability rather than passing/failing). 

Something like:

Chips

0x per week = A

1x per week = B

3x per week = C

4x per week = Fail

(In this system you also need to decide how to average out your weekly score to an overall score)

OR 

1-3 during challenge = A

4-6 during challenge = B

7-9 during challenge = C

etc. 

I find it really helps to have a system like this so that I don’t lose heart or feel defeated.  It also allows me to be objective about my performance rather than think I failed when I maybe actually achieved my goals 80% of the time. :) 

With your challenge I’s suggest firming up on your “less sugar” and “more water” goals, as it’s hard to quantify whether you have achieved something when it’s just “do more/less”.  I’d suggest aiming for a certain quantity of water per day (perhaps a certain number of refills to your glass/bottle?) and maybe aim for a particular reduction of sugar (eg. week 1 - 1/2tsp less in each cup, week 2 - 1tsp less etc).  That way you have something specific that you can measure.  

The biggest thing I've learned from the challenges is that progress is progress, but it’s amazing how we all have a tendency to think that if we don’t achieve our goals 100% then we must have failed, which simply isn’t true. 

Good luck with the challenge! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Following because you quoted the Edda, and I am hoping you will do that again at some point. :) 

How do you define "be happier"? Become more "happy" was a goal for me several challenges ago,  and I found the biggest obstacle for me was that I didn't have a clear idea of what that meant to me in my life and on a personal level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guzzi said:

With your challenge I’s suggest firming up on your “less sugar” and “more water” goals, as it’s hard to quantify whether you have achieved something when it’s just “do more/less”.  I’d suggest aiming for a certain quantity of water per day (perhaps a certain number of refills to your glass/bottle?) and maybe aim for a particular reduction of sugar (eg. week 1 - 1/2tsp less in each cup, week 2 - 1tsp less etc).  That way you have something specific that you can measure.

Guzzi beat me to it!!

And welcome to the rebellion!

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers guys, I have edited accordingly. 

Will definitely be more old norse proverbs inbound from me. 

For my own reference and anyone interested, I've attached my "stats" haha

Screenshot_20190211_083134_com.huawei.ch100.jpg

• Like 3

First day went pretty good, 3.5L of water down, 1 sugar dropped from both of my coffees, no fruit though. Did the beginner body weight work out after dropping kids at school. Managed to hit 10k steps before reenactment training. Had an absolute blast at training, there was only 7 of us so pace was kept high and intense. Morning yoga done already this morning. Feeling battered and bruised haha. 

Better to fight and fall than to live without hope.

• Like 4

Random question unrelated to fitness...Does this viking reenactment involve boats? Because that would be wicked cool.

Also, great work on day one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellywick said:

Does this viking reenactment involve boats?

Ships. They are called ships, or at the very most, longboats. Sheesh.

:P

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ellywick said:

Random question unrelated to fitness...Does this viking reenactment involve boats? Because that would be wicked cool.

Also, great work on day one!

My group doesn't have any longboats, or any living history, just a group of guys getting together hitting each other with swords, axes, spears etc. I have the plans for a viking Drakkar and hope to have the funds to build one at some point. Think there is a couple of groups in the UK that have a ship or two. So yeah... We just like to beat each other up every Monday then do reenactment shows across the UK from May to October 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hrafn of Hamwic said:

My group doesn't have any longboats, or any living history, just a group of guys getting together hitting each other with swords, axes, spears etc.

What more do you need? That sounds awesome!

Beautiful axe, by the way. Do you have a sharp one as well?

• Like 1

It is all I need haha, no sharps yet. I only started in September and slowly getting my basic kit before getting extras... We'll sort off anyway. I have two shields and helmets, axe and a spear head that needs hafting. 

• Like 1

Yesterday went well all things considered. Met my water goal, step goal, sugar dropped from both coffees, morning yoga+ some squats and press ups. Wife and both kids are coming down with flu so it was a "daddddy" day. Don't think I managed to sit down for longer then 3 minutes until the kids were in bed. Then it was time to blitz the house before crawling to bed. Gonna do some axe and shield work after lunch and possibly play football tonight depending on how the wife and kids are later. 

Everyone's someone at home. Though he has two goats and a coarsely roofed house, that is better than begging.

• Like 2

Something I'm very interested in doing once I get "the basics" down and I know I can do it without hurting myself, is HEMA: Historic European Martial Arts. Sword and board, spear, dagger, axe, the like. I imagine it's similar to what y'all are doing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capn_tack said:

Something I'm very interested in doing once I get "the basics" down and I know I can do it without hurting myself, is HEMA: Historic European Martial Arts. Sword and board, spear, dagger, axe, the like. I imagine it's similar to what y'all are doing!

I have a group that train very close to me but they do it the same night I do reenactment training. Does look very good, just not sure if I could handle the face masks. They were training cloak and dagger the other week and that looked very fun. It's also a lot more expensive as you need pretty much full body protection. Where as with reenactment all you need is gloves and a helmet. 

• Like 1

According to my HEMA friends in Europe, most groups are willing to let you borrow the "armor" you need if you're there just to try it out, and your interest is genuine. You may also be able to buy pre-owned equipment if you are on a budget.

HEMA people are like anyone else - if someone is genuinely interested in learning about this thing they love passionately, they do their best to share and help you get started. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, when I contacted them they explained there was spairs to borrow. I hate borrowing things though haha. I get worried ill break or damage stuff and I'll hold back. After my first week of reenactment training I ordered my helmet, axe and started building my shield. Luckily enough it was the week of my birthday and I managed to get my parents to pay for it all haha. Something I will look into in the future. 

• Like 1