Suzaqu explores and solidifies

Suzaqu

Hello everyone!  I'm actually on time for this challenge :) Not early, but at least on time! I want to build on my success from last time and try new things!

Goal 1: S&S 3 times a week: This has become a standard goal for me and I'm definitely seeing progress! I took zero week off because I was having some tendonitis in my achilles tendons, I think from wearing healed shoes several days in a row. I wanted to get the inflammation down, so I focused on gentle stretching and relaxing the area and it worked. So it's now time for me to get back into S&S. By the end of the challenge, I want to do at least one session where I use my high weight (35lbs) for all 100 swings.

Goal 2: Meditate everyday: I have had real trouble getting this habit back ever since I lost it last year. So I'm making it a priority this month. I use the headspace app and am currently in the middle of the focus course. Ideally, I'd meditate in the morning, but that can't always happen, but I'm going to try for that as well.

Goal 3: Explore new ways of moving: While I've gotten pretty good at doing my standard exercises, as soon as I'm outside of my zone, I feel uncoordinated and out of control. So I want to a) get better at being comfortable in my body and having control in new situations and b) get more comfortable in the uncomfortableness. I'm also feeling kinda sticky in my joints and movements, which I think is related to all of this. Goal wise, I want to try out a new movement goal/format each week. Sometimes this will be a new kind of exercise, sometimes mobility work, and lots of other stuff. Basically I want  to find motivation to try new things, even if they seem hard or uncomfortable.

This week my goal 3 will be to complete the GMB free strength and mobility course. I've been tempted by their elements program for a while, and I think this will be a good test, and certainly put me outside of my comfort zone.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

I hope you enjoy the course.  On their paid programs, also check out the Vitamins course. It is a new movement every day, which is good for what tryig new movements (though Elements fits that well too)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I hope you enjoy the course.  On their paid programs, also check out the Vitamins course. It is a new movement every day, which is good for what tryig new movements (though Elements fits that well too)

Thank you! Vitamin is the other one that has been tempting me! I was worried about doing it without having done elements, have you done it? How challenging is it?

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

4 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

Thank you! Vitamin is the other one that has been tempting me! I was worried about doing it without having done elements, have you done it? How challenging is it?

Hmm, it's more just different than challenging. It's a different mindset. You do a new movement each day. They have progressions with them, and you just work on what you can. But you don't really master anything, it's more just the mentality of learning new things. I did it before Elements (because they didn't have Elements) some stuff was fine and some stuff was challenging. The really cool thing about it was that after a couple of weeks of doing new things, my body just started adjusting to the new movements better. It also helped me with remembering to enjoy the journey, not everything is going to be perfect.:smile-new:

• Like 2

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hmm, it's more just different than challenging. It's a different mindset. You do a new movement each day. They have progressions with them, and you just work on what you can. But you don't really master anything, it's more just the mentality of learning new things. I did it before Elements (because they didn't have Elements) some stuff was fine and some stuff was challenging. The really cool thing about it was that after a couple of weeks of doing new things, my body just started adjusting to the new movements better. It also helped me with remembering to enjoy the journey, not everything is going to be perfect.:smile-new:

Oh cool, that sounds like exactly what I need.  I'll definitely look into that one more. When I did their quiz to pick a program, it was between Elements and Vitamin, depending on which of several true answers I put in when i took the quiz. 

Current Challenge

Ooooh, I really love goal 3. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 hours ago, courtneyc said:

Just took a look at GMB, and wow does that look like fun! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

It was the fun, natural movement that got me interested in the program. I'm excited to see how it goes and I'll definitely report in!

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Ooooh, I really love goal 3. :)

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also really love goal 3! It’s so much fun exploring new movements. :) Even if it’s super confusing and makes you feel like a klutz 90% of the time like in my acro classes haha. :P So worth it though.

Thanks! It was partially inspired by all the cool variety of movements I see all the awesome assassins doing! I've been feeling like I'm in a rut, and I want to break out and try new things. Also, I think my nervous system needs a challenge, I really want to switch it up.

Current Challenge

Day 1!

I'm really pumped to get started on this challenge! I did day of the GMB work out and it was certainly different. Even starting off, the warmup was uncomfortable, and I remembered why I don't like feeling uncomfortable :PI've never really paid attention to my wrists, but wow, they are stiff! Looking ahead, I thought that the bear walk would be incredibly hard for me, since I hate downward dog, but it actually felt great once I got the hang of it. Still, I'm exhausted from a pretty short work out, so I guess I'm doing something right.

One of the things that struck me was that they encouraged you to vary the tempo to fully explore the movement, which I had never really thought of before. I've slowed movements down before, but speeding them up was what made the bear crawl click and feel more comfortable, because I didn't have time to be awkward or uncomfortable.

In terms of my other goals, I promise I will meditate tonight before bed :) Tomorrow we have a late start because of snow, so I'll meditate and do S&S tomorrow morning, and hopefully my GMB active recovery in my evening.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Yay! Nice start. :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

ooooooooh those are some really cool goals :wub:

do you have a link for that free strength and mobility course? I have their Integral Strength program but somehow can't bring myself to do it at the moment, something smaller would be much more tempting and probably occupy me plenty as is.

Love your tangible joy in your goals already :) 

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

On 2/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, raptron said:

Yay! Nice start. :D 

Thank you! It's fun so far!

On 2/12/2019 at 2:42 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

ooooooooh those are some really cool goals :wub:

do you have a link for that free strength and mobility course? I have their Integral Strength program but somehow can't bring myself to do it at the moment, something smaller would be much more tempting and probably occupy me plenty as is.

Love your tangible joy in your goals already :) 

Thank you! 

The program is here: https://gmb.io/#join you have to join their mailing list. It's just a week long, but is a lot of fun so far. I seems like it's an exploration of their movement style, which I'm liking a lot.

Current Challenge

Days 2-3

I did take advantage of the late start to meditate and get S&S done. I think that I'm taking a bit of my swings into my low back, so I'm going to back off on the weight to sort out where my technique is off until I got it back. If I'm feeling like an overachiever, I might film it so I can critique it myself. I'm going to try to do S&S tomorrow, but I might push it off until the weekend.

Tonight I did day two of the GMB and it was a different challenge. Today focused around play and transitioning between movements. I found it impossible to go from a hollow hold to a squat, but I had a lot of fun trying. I think part of it was from my tight/sore achilles tendons. I'm definitely enjoying doing the different movements and being okay with struggling. Tomorrow is another active recovery day and then I have one more day of the program. And now I have to find a new movement plan for next week! Any suggestions?

Current Challenge

Haha, filming sets is usually really helpful! :)

Raptron, alot assassin

On 2/14/2019 at 10:17 AM, raptron said:

Haha, filming sets is usually really helpful! :)

I lost my overachieverness :), so I'm going to film next week to check form. I hate watching myself on film, but it will be good for me.

Current Challenge

Days 4-7

Thursday and Friday, all I did was meditate. It was a few hard days at work and I just didn't want to move when I got home.

So because I got behind schedule, i had to hustle this weekend. Saturday was the final session of GMB and a round of S&S. I kept the weights to my lower numbers, and worked on dialing in the form. I think I wasn't driving the snap with my glutes as much as I should have. Sunday was another round of S&S, where I really focused on my form and it definitely felt better. I think I am still going to film next week so I can keep working on it. 

Overall I met all my goals this week, though the rush to finish them at the end of the week was a bit messy. But I am really proud that I did manage to fit in S&S with a completely different workout program. I also met my meditation goal, but again, it was a bit messy. I had to push to get some done right before I went to sleep. So I want to focus on getting them done in the morning and spreading out my workouts.

I'm not sure what my movement goal will be for this week, I need to do some research this evening. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, Suzaqu said:

Days 2-3

I did take advantage of the late start to meditate and get S&S done. I think that I'm taking a bit of my swings into my low back, so I'm going to back off on the weight to sort out where my technique is off until I got it back. If I'm feeling like an overachiever, I might film it so I can critique it myself. I'm going to try to do S&S tomorrow, but I might push it off until the weekend.

Tonight I did day two of the GMB and it was a different challenge. Today focused around play and transitioning between movements. I found it impossible to go from a hollow hold to a squat, but I had a lot of fun trying. I think part of it was from my tight/sore achilles tendons. I'm definitely enjoying doing the different movements and being okay with struggling. Tomorrow is another active recovery day and then I have one more day of the program. And now I have to find a new movement plan for next week! Any suggestions?

I had forgotten about trying different tempos. I've been working on the bear walk, but at a slow tempo. I'll change it up some

I've done some of these drills before. They are good. 

http://www.tdathletesedge.com/blog/2019/2/10/master-your-kettlebell-swing

On 2/17/2019 at 10:09 PM, Elastigirl said:

I had forgotten about trying different tempos. I've been working on the bear walk, but at a slow tempo. I'll change it up some

I've done some of these drills before. They are good. 

http://www.tdathletesedge.com/blog/2019/2/10/master-your-kettlebell-swing

How did the tempo change work for you?

Thank you for the drills! I tried them out and I think that I wasn't hinging enough at my hips. I was trying to cheat my way through it and not bend my knees enough and keep my torso too high. I was trying to avoid squatting, but I think I went too far in that :) Swings are feeling good again, though they are still quite a workout :) 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Week 2 update! 

I really need to be better about updating here!

Goal 1: I did S&S on Tuesday and Friday, and I have to do one more session today. As I was saying above to EG, I think I got my swings back, so next week I think I'm goign to try 1 set with the higher weight. Next week I'd like to do S&S Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, I'm not sure why, but I always seem to take Thursday off, and I'd rather take Friday off.

Goal 2: I accidentally skipped Friday meditation, my husband was sick and it completely slipped my mind. But the rest of the week was good, I even managed to do it in the morning a lot of the time!

Goal 3: I settled on doing yin yoga as my new movement thing. I've done yoga before, but always hatha or vinyasa style, so this was a big change. I did it 3 times this week and tried out 3 different youtube instructors videos. The first was super restorative, the second focused on the hips, and the third was focused on the shoulders and chest, so it was a good balance. I enjoyed it, but it definitely was a practice in being uncomfortable. Sitting in a pose for 2-3 min with nothing to do but live in your sensations and accept them was good practice, not only for this movement goal, but also for my mediation goal. As an added bonus, my joins feel a lot more open now, especially my shoulders, so I think I want to incorporate this more going forward, especially on rest days. 

For next week, I've decided that my new movement for goal 3 is running. I've tried running before, but have never liked it. My plan is to do it 3 times this week, as it's finally going to be warm enough. I'm going to do some research on form and try to make this go well. I think this will be mostly a mental exercise, getting myself to see that I can do it and I'll be fine, even if it doesn't feel great.

In exciting life news, the office repairs are finally done at work and we'll be moving back in on Monday! We got new carpet and new wall color, so my walls are nice and clean and ready for me to move in and decorate, without any of the holes that were left by the previous person. Now I just have to figure out how to file a claim through my work for the stuff that was damaged.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

16 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Goal 3: I settled on doing yin yoga as my new movement thing. I've done yoga before, but always hatha or vinyasa style, so this was a big change. I did it 3 times this week and tried out 3 different youtube instructors videos. The first was super restorative, the second focused on the hips, and the third was focused on the shoulders and chest, so it was a good balance. I enjoyed it, but it definitely was a practice in being uncomfortable. Sitting in a pose for 2-3 min with nothing to do but live in your sensations and accept them was good practice, not only for this movement goal, but also for my mediation goal. As an added bonus, my joins feel a lot more open now, especially my shoulders, so I think I want to incorporate this more going forward, especially on rest days. 

This is how I feel yin yoga as well. I've never felt comfortable enough to hold for that long, and afterwards my efficiency-geared mind is like, "I've spent half an hour on the mat, and only did 5 poses", and continues to be contend hours of Netflix, fantasy novels and simple games... Is there any yin yoga video you liked? Reading back the last sentence, I think I need to do it more ;).

On 2/25/2019 at 3:39 AM, Waanie said:

This is how I feel yin yoga as well. I've never felt comfortable enough to hold for that long, and afterwards my efficiency-geared mind is like, "I've spent half an hour on the mat, and only did 5 poses", and continues to be contend hours of Netflix, fantasy novels and simple games... Is there any yin yoga video you liked? Reading back the last sentence, I think I need to do it more ;).

"I've spent half an hour on the mat, and only did 5 poses" is exactly what I was thinking, especially during my first restorative session. Being wrapped in blankets was cozy, but felt like a waste of time (not saying it is, that was just my headspace going into it.) My apple watch also kept asking me if I was done with my workout because I wasn't moving, which wasn't good mentally either. But I agree, I need to do it more as well, because it was so uncomfortable (and it made me feel good for the next few days).

This one was actually my favorite, but it seems that she only has one yin yoga video :(   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjdlq5rNLag

I also liked Yoga with Kassandra and she had a bunch of video options. I think I'm going to do hers going forward https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithkassandra

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Monday

I did the running thing! I woke up and put on my exercise clothes so I'd have no excuse. My husband's reaction was "wow, you're actually going to go for a run" (he knows how much I dislike it.) I only did a mile, but that was a longer run than the 0 miles I usually do :) I even had an ok pace. I didn't die, but I didn't feel great. Mentally my mantra was "I hate running, why am I doing this" which could use some improvement. I think I might try to slow it down next time, not sure if that will help, or just prolong the agony.

I did miss meditation yesterday, I still need to work on making it a habit. 

Today I'm planning on S&S, with one round of higher swings. But only one! I'm not allowed to get excited and do extra. I also need to remember I'm allowed to slow down the pace so I can make sure my technique is good.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

51 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

This one was actually my favorite, but it seems that she only has one yin yoga video :(   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjdlq5rNLag

I also liked Yoga with Kassandra and she had a bunch of video options. I think I'm going to do hers going forward https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithkassandra

Thanks, I will try them out :)

For the running, it helps me to do run-walk intervals and to have someone (podcast/zombies run) to tell me when to walk and when to run. I still don't do it much, but in the fall I actually managed to reach week 6 in a C25K program this way. It also works better if the weather is nice ;).

1 hour ago, Suzaqu said:

I only did a mile, but that was a longer run than the 0 miles I usually do :) 

YES :) Good way to think about it. 

Always nice to see someone else lifting bells! too bad it's S&S ;) (It's okay, don't mind me, I'm really just jealous because I can't do a get up.)

I can also really recommend the GMB programs. And if you're looking for more variety you could always try some other KB work or even juggling, it's fun.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram