• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Suzaqu

Suzaqu explores and solidifies

Hello everyone!  I'm actually on time for this challenge :) Not early, but at least on time! I want to build on my success from last time and try new things!

Goal 1: S&S 3 times a week: This has become a standard goal for me and I'm definitely seeing progress! I took zero week off because I was having some tendonitis in my achilles tendons, I think from wearing healed shoes several days in a row. I wanted to get the inflammation down, so I focused on gentle stretching and relaxing the area and it worked. So it's now time for me to get back into S&S. By the end of the challenge, I want to do at least one session where I use my high weight (35lbs) for all 100 swings.

Goal 2: Meditate everyday: I have had real trouble getting this habit back ever since I lost it last year. So I'm making it a priority this month. I use the headspace app and am currently in the middle of the focus course. Ideally, I'd meditate in the morning, but that can't always happen, but I'm going to try for that as well.

Goal 3: Explore new ways of moving: While I've gotten pretty good at doing my standard exercises, as soon as I'm outside of my zone, I feel uncoordinated and out of control. So I want to a) get better at being comfortable in my body and having control in new situations and b) get more comfortable in the uncomfortableness. I'm also feeling kinda sticky in my joints and movements, which I think is related to all of this. Goal wise, I want to try out a new movement goal/format each week. Sometimes this will be a new kind of exercise, sometimes mobility work, and lots of other stuff. Basically I want  to find motivation to try new things, even if they seem hard or uncomfortable.

This week my goal 3 will be to complete the GMB free strength and mobility course. I've been tempted by their elements program for a while, and I think this will be a good test, and certainly put me outside of my comfort zone.

• Like 5

I hope you enjoy the course.  On their paid programs, also check out the Vitamins course. It is a new movement every day, which is good for what tryig new movements (though Elements fits that well too)

4 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I hope you enjoy the course.  On their paid programs, also check out the Vitamins course. It is a new movement every day, which is good for what tryig new movements (though Elements fits that well too)

Thank you! Vitamin is the other one that has been tempting me! I was worried about doing it without having done elements, have you done it? How challenging is it?

4 minutes ago, Suzaqu said:

Thank you! Vitamin is the other one that has been tempting me! I was worried about doing it without having done elements, have you done it? How challenging is it?

Hmm, it's more just different than challenging. It's a different mindset. You do a new movement each day. They have progressions with them, and you just work on what you can. But you don't really master anything, it's more just the mentality of learning new things. I did it before Elements (because they didn't have Elements) some stuff was fine and some stuff was challenging. The really cool thing about it was that after a couple of weeks of doing new things, my body just started adjusting to the new movements better. It also helped me with remembering to enjoy the journey, not everything is going to be perfect.:smile-new:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hmm, it's more just different than challenging. It's a different mindset. You do a new movement each day. They have progressions with them, and you just work on what you can. But you don't really master anything, it's more just the mentality of learning new things. I did it before Elements (because they didn't have Elements) some stuff was fine and some stuff was challenging. The really cool thing about it was that after a couple of weeks of doing new things, my body just started adjusting to the new movements better. It also helped me with remembering to enjoy the journey, not everything is going to be perfect.:smile-new:

Oh cool, that sounds like exactly what I need.  I'll definitely look into that one more. When I did their quiz to pick a program, it was between Elements and Vitamin, depending on which of several true answers I put in when i took the quiz. 

I also really love goal 3! It’s so much fun exploring new movements. :) Even if it’s super confusing and makes you feel like a klutz 90% of the time like in my acro classes haha. :P So worth it though.

22 hours ago, courtneyc said:

Just took a look at GMB, and wow does that look like fun! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

It was the fun, natural movement that got me interested in the program. I'm excited to see how it goes and I'll definitely report in!

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Ooooh, I really love goal 3. :)

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also really love goal 3! It’s so much fun exploring new movements. :) Even if it’s super confusing and makes you feel like a klutz 90% of the time like in my acro classes haha. :P So worth it though.

Thanks! It was partially inspired by all the cool variety of movements I see all the awesome assassins doing! I've been feeling like I'm in a rut, and I want to break out and try new things. Also, I think my nervous system needs a challenge, I really want to switch it up.

Day 1!

I'm really pumped to get started on this challenge! I did day of the GMB work out and it was certainly different. Even starting off, the warmup was uncomfortable, and I remembered why I don't like feeling uncomfortable :PI've never really paid attention to my wrists, but wow, they are stiff! Looking ahead, I thought that the bear walk would be incredibly hard for me, since I hate downward dog, but it actually felt great once I got the hang of it. Still, I'm exhausted from a pretty short work out, so I guess I'm doing something right.

One of the things that struck me was that they encouraged you to vary the tempo to fully explore the movement, which I had never really thought of before. I've slowed movements down before, but speeding them up was what made the bear crawl click and feel more comfortable, because I didn't have time to be awkward or uncomfortable.

In terms of my other goals, I promise I will meditate tonight before bed :) Tomorrow we have a late start because of snow, so I'll meditate and do S&S tomorrow morning, and hopefully my GMB active recovery in my evening.

• Like 2

ooooooooh those are some really cool goals :wub:

do you have a link for that free strength and mobility course? I have their Integral Strength program but somehow can't bring myself to do it at the moment, something smaller would be much more tempting and probably occupy me plenty as is.

Love your tangible joy in your goals already :) 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:40 AM, raptron said:

Yay! Nice start. :D 

Thank you! It's fun so far!

On 2/12/2019 at 2:42 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

ooooooooh those are some really cool goals :wub:

do you have a link for that free strength and mobility course? I have their Integral Strength program but somehow can't bring myself to do it at the moment, something smaller would be much more tempting and probably occupy me plenty as is.

Love your tangible joy in your goals already :) 

Thank you! 

The program is here: https://gmb.io/#join you have to join their mailing list. It's just a week long, but is a lot of fun so far. I seems like it's an exploration of their movement style, which I'm liking a lot.

Days 2-3

I did take advantage of the late start to meditate and get S&S done. I think that I'm taking a bit of my swings into my low back, so I'm going to back off on the weight to sort out where my technique is off until I got it back. If I'm feeling like an overachiever, I might film it so I can critique it myself. I'm going to try to do S&S tomorrow, but I might push it off until the weekend.

Tonight I did day two of the GMB and it was a different challenge. Today focused around play and transitioning between movements. I found it impossible to go from a hollow hold to a squat, but I had a lot of fun trying. I think part of it was from my tight/sore achilles tendons. I'm definitely enjoying doing the different movements and being okay with struggling. Tomorrow is another active recovery day and then I have one more day of the program. And now I have to find a new movement plan for next week! Any suggestions?