• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

juliebarkley

Juliebarkley applies herself

9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I only really notice it when I lift my leg - for some reason, I can squat to the floor with knees to the chest with no pain at all, but if I try to stand and lift my knee past parallel, it aches. What the heck, body, it's the same motion???

Not entirely. When you lift your leg, you muscles pull up against gravity. When you squat, you lower your body and then your muscles push to lift it back up. Similar-looking movement, but the muscles in your leg are not performing the same tasks.

13 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Not entirely. When you lift your leg, you muscles pull up against gravity. When you squat, you lower your body and then your muscles push to lift it back up. Similar-looking movement, but the muscles in your leg are not performing the same tasks.

Fair enough. I will stop yelling at it for being stupid and illogical now.

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

What kind of triggers do you use? Asking for inspiration.. 

The cues, or triggers, that I am using for those particular three habits are brushing my teeth (prayers), picking up my phone for the first time (todo) and putting away my dishes for the first time (walking). I struggle to find good cues as my work days are very inconsistent - between week 1 and week 2, I have only one day that is the same, and I work some days early and some late. In my last challenge, I read a bunch of stuff on habits and summarized what I learned in a couple of giant posts. Check it out! Most cues for habits are a location, a time, an emotional state, other people, or an immediately preceding action. Since my schedule is all over the place, time doesn't work for me. I'm going for the one that seems most doable - immediately preceding action. (P.S. Thank you for reminding me that I need to update my signature really badly!)

All habits done today, with proper cues and everything! The Walk to Mordor recording for walking has become a nice reward that I look forward to, so that has worked out very well indeed. Not going to add in a new habit yet; the cue for the todo habit is still too weak, but I think next week I may be ready.

My chosen task for the day was to figure out how file sharing works between Macs on a home network. I had never done any file sharing before, so this was a neat challenge. I got four Macs hooked up at one point, created little guestbooks that each computer could write in, and it let me get around my third world internet to print a file. Now I am giddy with the possibilities.

I also passed my pushup week today, much sooner than I had expected! Technically, this means I could move on to the penultimate week. However, I really squeaked by with this pass and was just dead after the final set every day this week, so I think I will opt to repeat it. But at least I know I did it. :)

So, challenge end. These habits are going to take more time to be really set. I think the stuff I was reading said the average is around 60 days. I predict that I will be able to add roughly one every 2 weeks, so I'll be doing this a while longer to get all six done. Although I'm really happy to be establishing these habits, it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough on a day-to-day basis (of course, I usually do too much, so...). My to-do list habit is giving me a chance to assign a daily task for myself, which is awesome, but I'm going to have to add in a stupid human trick or something to spice it up again. I'm also seeing the light at the end of all the extra shifts I have been taking, so I hope to be a lot more active on other people's threads than the basically nothing I did this time :(. Thank you to @scalyfreak, @WhiteGhost, and @KB Girl who stuck by me regardless! I really appreciate it, and especially as I haven't been returning the favour. I can only say that I am trying to do better.

• Like 4

Don't worry about it! Ideally following someone isn't just a selfless pursuit but a win-win if there is something to learn :)

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

The cues, or triggers, that I am using for those particular three habits are brushing my teeth (prayers), picking up my phone for the first time (todo) and putting away my dishes for the first time (walking). I struggle to find good cues as my work days are very inconsistent - between week 1 and week 2, I have only one day that is the same, and I work some days early and some late. In my last challenge, I read a bunch of stuff on habits and summarized what I learned in a couple of giant posts. Check it out! Most cues for habits are a location, a time, an emotional state, other people, or an immediately preceding action. Since my schedule is all over the place, time doesn't work for me. I'm going for the one that seems most doable - immediately preceding action. (P.S. Thank you for reminding me that I need to update my signature really badly!)

Those do seem like good choices. Having an irregular schedule myself I've struggled with the same.. I always loved the theory of habit building, but never quite figured out how to apply it to my own life. Thanks for link!

• Like 1

If we only followed people who followed us back, this would be a very lonely place :)

I enjoy reading your updates (especially with all the progress you are making with your goals) and fully understand that real life takes precedence.  Happy to see whenever you post, but it shouldn't be something that creates additional anxiety.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

. Thank you to @scalyfreak, @WhiteGhost, and @KB Girl who stuck by me regardless! I really appreciate it, and especially as I haven't been returning the favour. I can only say that I am trying to do better.

You're not actually required to follow me back. You return the favor by posting things I learn from, like habit triggers, and the importance of making the habit goal more attainable. Going to the gym regularly was the only goal I met this challenge, and it was all because I made the goal smaller and easier to meet, because you posted something that made me think that would work. I owe you thanks for that, no the other way around. :) 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 5:53 AM, WhiteGhost said:

If we only followed people who followed us back, this would be a very lonely place :)

I enjoy reading your updates (especially with all the progress you are making with your goals) and fully understand that real life takes precedence.  Happy to see whenever you post, but it shouldn't be something that creates additional anxiety. 

On 3/12/2019 at 2:11 AM, scalyfreak said:

You're not actually required to follow me back. You return the favor by posting things I learn from, like habit triggers, and the importance of making the habit goal more attainable. Going to the gym regularly was the only goal I met this challenge, and it was all because I made the goal smaller and easier to meet, because you posted something that made me think that would work. I owe you thanks for that, no the other way around. :) 

Thank you guys! I do feel bad when other people are so supportive of me and I do not feel that I am returning the good vibes back to them or the community. I feel like a bad friend when that happens. But it is nice to hear that I am helping and giving some joy in other ways. :) I'm still gonna try to do better though. ;)

New challenge ahoy!

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/113405-juliebarkley-checks-her-list/