• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Emerald Eagle

Emerald Eagle finds a new normal

The world has tilted on it's axis, and it's not going to change, so it is time to put on my Rangering panties, put DOWN the chocolate bar (stop eating your feelings EE!) and get back into the swing of things. 

Over the last few months I have had a tonne of excuses, a lot of them pretty big serious things, but ultimately they're still excuses. I want to be a person who is fit and healthy even when life throws curve balls, so this challenge is about taking some baby steps in that direction. 

I have realised in previous challenges I get better results with "tick the box" goals to keep my accountable, so we're going back to that system. I am also going to start tracking my weight and taking progress photos to try and stay more accountable and hopefully get some motivation from changes that come (IF I stick to my goals, so without further ado...)

GOALS:

Nutrition - eating better makes me feel better. This supports both my HAPPY and HEALTHY goals. 

1a. Meal prep once per week. Minimum make lunches for the week at work, ideally also plan/prep breakfasts as well.

1b. Eat pre-prepped lunch 4/5 days per week (5 days ideally, but once a week going out for lunch is reasonable start). If I go out for lunch, nothing fried. 

Fitness - go to Crossfit! Crossfit makes you HAPPY and also helps you achieve your HEALTHY goal.

2. Go to Crossfit 3 times per week. (Bonus if it's more but 3 is realistic for my first challenge back).

Mental Health - burying your feelings doesn't work, you have to deal with them. This supports my HAPPY, HEALTHY, FAMILY, and COMPASSION goals. 

3a. Attend 2 counselling sessions during the challenge (might be 3, but we're aiming for 2).

3b. Use your journal 3 times per week. (Could be more, you're meant to use it when you need it, but if it's less than 3 in a week you're probably not addressing things you should).  

Community - Nerd Fitness is your friend! Actually sticking to challenge updates and engaging in the community will help you achieve all of the goals above.

4a. Post challenge updates 5 times per week. (doesn't have to be long or pretty, just post for goodness sake!)

4b. Read one other persons thread and post a comment once per week (really should be more but one per week is very achievable, so that's the bench mark for this challenge). 

073e4656bb8baac9fa49231fa1c70493.gif

• Like 2

Today I went to Crossfit! *Celebrations* This was my first class for 2019 (and it's February, seriously EE!). I knew the workout was going to crush me because what little conditioning I had would have faded away in the month I've had off. I was completely right.

HOWEVER, I got a huge big massive WIN and I'm going to celebrate! For those of you who don't remember, 9 months ago I dislocated my kneecap. Since then I've been on a modified program and had to adapt basically every Crossfit WOD to avoid anything high impact or lower body. (It's been super boring - I just want to do the fun stuff again!). ANYWAY, today is the first time since my injury that I have done any kind of weighted lower body movement. 4kg kettlebell goblet squats to a box (I've previously been working on doing them as air squats or with a PVC pipe). I did 4 sets of 6 in the strength portion of our metcon and 21-15-9 in the WOD. :D Feeling to happy right now!

• Like 4

Week 1 Tracker

Meal Prep:

Prepped Lunch: ☑☐☐

Crossfit: ☑☐☐

Counselling: 
Journal: ☐☐☐
Challenge update: ☑☐☐☐☐
NF Community: 

Tuesday - Week 1 Update

The DOMS from yesterdays squats is real! My quads are very unhappy with me, and strangely that makes me very happy! My knee feels tender, it doesn't hut but I can definitely feel that it worked hard yesterday. I had a fairly crappy day at work, the details are not really worth talking about. I ate my leftovers for lunch but it was homemade pizza, not exactly ideal. Easing back into it on week 1 I think that's a pass. 

Made the decision to not do 2 nights of Crossfit in a row and came straight home after work. Hubby and I took Willow for a nearly hour-long walk and I got 10,000 steps for a day (that's not something I'm tracking but it's a good thing!). We turned our leftover roast lamb into lamb souvlaki for dinner (so delicious!). All in all a good day.

• Like 3

CrossFit: win!
Knee improvement: win!
Lamb souvlaki: delicious win
Pup walks: you guessed it... Win!

And the fact that you are here: the winningest of all!

• Like 1

I love your pants! Are they foxes? Or puppies?

You’re going to kick butt this challenge (carefully, so you don’t hurt your knee)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:27 AM, Fonzico said:

CrossFit: win!
Knee improvement: win!
Lamb souvlaki: delicious win
Pup walks: you guessed it... Win!

And the fact that you are here: the winningest of all!

Thanks Fonz :)

On 2/13/2019 at 4:12 AM, Elastigirl said:

Glad your knee is getting stronger-woot for being strong enough to do a goblet squat!

Was definitely tender the next day and the DOMS was something! But made me feel good :)

On 2/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, Yasha92 said:

I love your pants! Are they foxes? Or puppies?

You’re going to kick butt this challenge (carefully, so you don’t hurt your knee)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're foxes! I love fancy leggings (I also feel like if they have some crazy pattern my legs don't look as big? Might be completely not true but I'm not going to question it!). 

Week 1 Tracker

Meal Prep: 

Prepped Lunch: ☑☑☑☑

Counselling: 
Journal: ☑☑☐
Challenge update: ☑☑☐☐☐
NF Community: 

Sunday - Week 1 Update

There are not as many ticks in the boxes as I would like, but I haven't completely dropped off the face of the planet so I'm calling that a win! After the squats on Monday I did not make it back to Crossfit this week, which I'm a bit made at myself about. I intended to go on Saturday morning but I got home super late on Friday night and snoozed my alarm. They were even doing a benchmark workout that I was excited to try out! GRR - I'm hoping I can try and do the workout at home, but I don't have a kettlebell so it might be tricky...

Because I didn't meal prep my lunches for the week were mainly leftovers from dinners. Honestly they weren't the healthiest, but they also weren't deep fried so it's am improvement on recent weeks. 

Mentally I've been up and down. I was doing pretty well and then one night (I don't remember, maybe Wednesday night?) my head started spinning and I couldn't sleep because of all the thoughts running around and around. Eventually I got up and wrote in my journal. It sort of helped? I did eventually get some sleep. This weekend has been a bit tricky and I'll probably pull my journal out after I've posted this update to write in it (hey, that'd be 3 ticks!). Some things came up on Friday night when I spent time with my sister and cousins (unsurprisingly as the things I'm working through and at the core about my relationship with my sister and parents) and last night when we went to a party with lots of people who are also friends with my sister and had advice/gossip/feelings to share. *sigh* I wish it wasn't so hard but I know time will help. I have a counselling appointment booked in on Wednesday and I have a list of things to talk about with my counsellor!

Week 2 Plan

This is a new thing I thought I would try! Declaring my intentions for the week so that you guys can hold me accountable.

Monday - Crossfit! 

Tuesday - Blood donation

Wednesday - Counselling appointment

Thursday - Crossfit!

Friday - Rest (maybe interchangeable with Thursday)

Saturday - Crossfit! 19.1!!

I am still trying to decide if I am going to sign up for the Crossfit Open for this year. With my knee still not fully recovered I know it's highly likely there will be at least one workout (probably more) that I won't be able to do even to the scaled standard. I'd really like to do it so I can be involved, and I'll definitely be going to support others at my gym, but I'm not sure it makes sense to pay the $20 when I can't really play. I think I have until the end of the first week to decide...I'll keep you posted!

MildPeacefulBighorn-max-1mb.gif

• Like 4

Week 2 Tracker

Meal Prep: 

Prepped Lunch: ☐☐☐☐☐

Counselling: 
Challenge update: ☑☐☐☐☐
NF Community: 

Monday - Week 2 Update

All in all a pretty good day! Because of my busy weekend I didn't have time to do any meal prep (if I am 100% honest I probably could have made it happen but didn't). This meant that while I was out on my lunch break running a few errands I also bought lunch and did not pick a healthy option :(. BUT after work I went to Crossfit (and did a workout that was HORRENDOUS), stopped at the supermarket on my way home, and meal prepped tonight while hubby was out. Feels like a win and quite a few ticked boxes for the day!

Week 2 Tracker

Meal Prep: 

Prepped Lunch: ☐☐☐☑☐

Counselling: 
Challenge update: ☑☑☐☐☐
NF Community: 

Tuesday-Thursday - Week 2 Update

:( Not nearly enough ticks on that tracker. Gah! On Tuesday I had horrendous cramps thanks to TOM and really suffered through the day. It was so bad I cancelled my blood donation appointment and came home to curl up in a ball after work. So no Crossfit and no blood donation and I didn't eat my prepped lunch because the only way I know how to deal with cramps that bad is serious painkillers and lots of carbs (I am really going to have to find a new coping mechanism for that eventually!)

On Wednesday I started to feel better and had a pretty good day. I did have to run some errands in my lunch break and so I ended up succumbing to the temptation of buying lunch while I was out. After work I had an appointment with my counsellor. It was...hard. I know that it's important to keep going, and to keep working on myself and dealing with everything but it's so frustrating! And everything moves so slowly! That is not how I normally do things.

Today was nothing to report home about, until I was walking to the bathroom, slipped on basically nothing and tweaked my knee. So I came home to rest and ice it rather than go to Crossfit like I wanted to *sigh* Hopefully I my knee recovers overnight enough that I can get back to the gym tomorrow.

• Like 1