• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Gets Down to Business

Enough messing around. I've been experimenting lately with a lot of good stuff. But (with the exception of lifting) I have not been doing it seriously. This was partly by design because holidays and vacation. But it's time to get down to business. 

giphy.gif

*I will probably have Mulan songs stuck in my head now for the whole challenge. You're welcome.

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  After a week of travel and sickness, I'm going to have to deload again. (SAD.)  But, that keeps me from having to worry about finding a new program for a while, so procrastination win.  I get a least another challenge of Stronglifts.  Hoping to hit some PRs during this challenge too!

2. Drink all the water! And track it. Make sure to get AT LEAST 10 cups per day. Not counting other drinks. Except herbal tea. That counts.

3. Track food! Every day. No excuses. (And trying to keep a deficit, but we'll start with tracking as the goal.)

4. Get them steps.  Going to start with at least 5,000 steps per day and get 10,000 steps 4 days per week.  I'm gonna take baby steps on this though because I've been terrible at this.  

5. Time-management. At least 6.5 billable hours per work day. No counting non-billable work or filling in with weekend work. Just straight billable time Monday through Friday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

*I will probably have Mulan songs stuck in my head now for the whole challenge

As will we all.

I had wondered if they'll bring back Donny Osmond to cover 'I'll make a man out of you' for the live action movie in the works.

Anyways, good luck to you! :)

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

I had wondered if they'll bring back Donny Osmond to cover 'I'll make a man out of you' for the live action movie in the works.

I didn't even think of that. Maybe he could do a jazzy, synthesizer, super-90s version of the song for the credits. I think any Disney remake is incomplete without an unnecessarily stylized version of a song for the credits.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, scalyfreak said:

Following so I can be all snarky and mean if there is a lack of Mulan Soundtrack YouTube videos in this thread. :P 

Image result for do you even mulan

2togsu.jpg

• Haha 2

Ookay. Week 1 check in.

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Yep! Working back up from a deload, but here are the current numbers:

Squat: 145 lbs, 5x5
Deadlift: 160 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 85 lbs, 5x5
Row: 80 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 50 lbs, 5x5

2. Drink all the water! Nailed it!

3. Track food! Every day. Did the thing! Mostly keeping a 500 cal deficit, except sometimes... because Valentine's chocolate and pizza on date night.

4. Get them steps.  Going to start with at least 5,000 steps per day and get 10,000 steps 4 days per week.  Weirdly did better but didn't hit goals. Only 1 day was under 5K. The rest were about 8K, with only 2 days above 10K.  Work in progress.

5. Time-management. Fail. Stupid non-billable work.  But, did raise my hand for more projects, which I'm sure I will live to regret. Try, try again.

So, hitting last week's goals went something like this:

giphy.gif

But, I also had a couple of other wins that weren't specifically goal-related! I finally did some batch cooking (for the first time in a while...) So I had a nice healthy breakfast this morning and actually brought my lunch!

giphy.gif

I also got 7+ hours of sleep all except 1 day last week. And, a sort of silly thing, but I had a good talk with a mentor at work and am feeling more stable and less insecure (for the time being).  I switched jobs a few months ago and am just still feeling like the new kid, and like I don't know what I'm doing. But I'm working on it.

All in all, feeling reasonably well rested, somewhat less insecure, and ready to take on week 2!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowkc said:

5. Time-management. Fail. Stupid non-billable work.  But, did raise my hand for more projects, which I'm sure I will live to regret. Try, try again.

Ugh.

UGH.

I take no work from not my boss anymore without a billing code.

(everything from my boss is under the same billing code so it doesn't matter what he assigns me)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, snowkc said:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Yep! Working back up from a deload, but here are the current numbers:

Squat: 145 lbs, 5x5
Deadlift: 160 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 85 lbs, 5x5
Row: 80 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 50 lbs, 5x5

Nice!

17 minutes ago, snowkc said:

All in all, feeling reasonably well rested, somewhat less insecure, and ready to take on week 2!

And this is nice, too! 

Good luck hunting down the walking and billable hours. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I take no work from not my boss anymore without a billing code.

This is goals. 

I feel the need to "be a team player" and take on some non-billable stuff until I'm a little more established at the new job. I think some of the non-billable work has been people testing to see if they want to work with me, so hopefully it turns into more billable work going forward.  I hate working hard for a week and looking back to see low hours. It's so demoralizing.

• Like 1

Week 2!

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Done! Workouts are feeling real heavy these days. (But I do sometimes wonder whether I could lift people now--or their weight equivalent.  Like co-workers.  I think I could deadlift a lot of my co-workers now. I could squat a few. I might even be able to bench press one of them by the end of this challenge... It's a fun game that I will definitely keep to myself.) 

giphy.gif

Current lifts:

Squat: 155 lbs, 5x5
Deadlift: 180 lbs, 5x5
Bench: 90 lbs, 5x5
Row: 85 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 60 lbs, 5x5
(I've also added in pull-up negatives. I can do 3 total . . . with rest in between . . . and a lot of soreness the following day.)

2. Drink all the water! Mostly good! Lost momentum a little over the weekend, but still came close. (Need to not leave my big water bottle at work.)

3. Track food! Every day. Tracked! Pretty good on deficit during the week, not so good on the weekend.

4. Get them steps.  Going to start with at least 5,000 steps per day and get 10,000 steps 4 days per week.  Hit the minimum 5K every day! Not so much on the 10K 4x per week though. Not really even close.

5. Time-management. A little better. Only 1 day under 6.5 billable (and a couple days with more).  February is still going to be a low month (even though I have like 35 non-billable hours for the month), but I think it's picking up.

Other things:

- May or may not have had a tired/stressed melt down in the middle of last week. Had a good cry then felt better.  Also, sucked it up and got some help, and will continue to have help going forward.

giphy.gif

- Felt much better by the weekend and even took some time to ACTUALLY PLAY the violin.  Definitely rusty, but the things I've learned are still in my brain and muscles, which is neat.

- For workouts, I think I finally discovered what glutes are supposed to do. Weird. You'd think it wouldn't take my whole life to figure that out.  I mean, they have to have been working some before, but I've been warming up with more focus on the glutes, and holy cow it helps!  I've also started adding in a little extra run/walk intervals after workouts or on off days. I started using my glutes and bracing my core the way I do when I'm lifting. It was an epiphany!  Is THAT how running is supposed to feel?!  I should not have run those half-marathons not knowing how to actually use my glutes. No wonder I ended up with plantar fasciitis and knee pain... I can't run very long with form like that yet, but it was really eye-opening. 
giphy.gif

• Like 3

Lovely lifting numbers! Also, great that you discovered your glutes :D What glute warm up do you use?

So, what's the deal with billable and non-billable hours... do you not get paid at all for non-billable things, or?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

do you not get paid at all for non-billable things, or?

I tend to wonder that same thing...thank god a work for a soul curshing government entity...wait...what?

Also. late to the party but following

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

So, what's the deal with billable and non-billable hours... do you not get paid at all for non-billable things, or?

Basically the company doesn't get paid if its not billable.  So I have a target number to hit to make sure someone else enjoys a profit  ensure that there is a need for my position/I'm contributing/ I can justify my salary. But I still have to do things like department meetings, training, sales pitches, etc., even though they don't count towards my target.

1 hour ago, farflight said:

I tend to wonder that same thing...thank god a work for a soul curshing government entity...wait...what?

I mean... the grass is always greener. But I guess soul crushing will occur one way or the other?  Cheery thought.

As for the fitness-y things,

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lovely lifting numbers! Also, great that you discovered your glutes :D What glute warm up do you use?

Thank you! I'm getting really excited about my numbers! I've had a 200lb deadlift and 100 lb bench as goals for a long time and I'm getting pretty close!   For the warm up, I'm doing some reverse lunges, bridges, and clam shells, and also really focusing on them during air squats and jumping jacks.  I feel like I have to tell them "Wake up! Pay attention!" or they'll let my keener quads do all the work.

• Like 1

Week 3!

I'd say this week, I'm not quite kicked out of boot camp, but certainly not ready to defeat the Huns.
giphy.gif

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Missed one day. After an embarrassing wipe out in the middle of a restaurant and a twisted ankle, I took a session off to make sure the ankle was just twisted and not sprained. (It's fine. Only my pride was hurt.)

Squat: 165 lbs, stalled on this. I think I'll get 5X5 next time
Deadlift: 190 lbs, 5x5 
Bench: 95 lbs, 5x5
Row: 90 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 65 lbs, 5x5

giphy.gifI'm getting SO CLOSE to some big goals of mine--200lb deadlift and 100lb bench. SO CLOSE!!

2. Drink all the water!  Pretty good, not so great on the weekend with tracking, but still drank a lot of water.

3. Track food! Every day. Okay during the week, but failed over the weekend. Back in business now. 

4. Get them steps.  Going to start with at least 5,000 steps per day and get 10,000 steps 4 days per week.  Kind of the same trend. Doing a little better day to day, but rarely getting 10K. Maybe 1-2 times per week. BUT!! I just got a sit/stand desk and I'M PUMPED ABOUT IT.  Hopefully that keeps me up and moving more.

5. Time-management. Pretty good. Slow on Monday, but plenty of work the rest of the week. I'm starting to see a more consistent flow of work, I think. So hopefully this is no longer a source of stress soon.

giphy.gif

Other things:

- Playing the violin! I renewed my violin lab account and am reviewing some of the beginner videos I'd done before. I'm hoping to start scheduling a few videos and practice sessions per week... even if they all end up being on the weekend. Still progress! Happy to be picking it up again.

- I'm kind of over winter. I didn't do enough winter sport activities this year, so I mostly have cabin fever.  It was right around 0 degrees Fahrenheit all weekend and the dog and I are feeling awfully restless.  I think daylight savings time is this coming weekend, so that makes me happy! As much as I love having my mornings, it will be nice to be able to run around with the dog in the evenings after work.  I'm also just sooo ready to sit out on my front porch in the evening. It's one of my favorite places in the whole world.  I'll probably start sitting out there soon with a heater and electric blanket because I'm dying to be outside more... but negative degrees and snow is pushing it, even for me.

- Also, a friend of mine just got her cosmetology license and is going through a training program. I volunteered to let her practice on me. Hopefully it turns out okay!
giphy.gif

• Like 3

Oooh, those lifting numbers are nice! You're progressing quite quickly, I'm envious. Keep posting your numbers, I like seeing them :)

Increasing your average steps is good. How many hours of walking is 10,000 steps, anyway? 

Violin progress is also yay!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Increasing your average steps is good. How many hours of walking is 10,000 steps, anyway? 

On average, 10k steps is about 5 miles. So how long would it take you to walk 5 miles?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

On average, 10k steps is about 5 miles. So how long would it take you to walk 5 miles?

Hour and forty. That's quite ambitious to be hitting every day! But I imagine women's and short people's steps per mile are higher than the universal average. So they would need fewer miles to hit the steps. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hour and forty. That's quite ambitious to be hitting every day! But I imagine women's and short people's steps per mile are higher than the universal average. So they would need fewer miles to hit the steps. 

Hence the about. It's an average, I take more miles when walking, but fewer when running. Go chew on that for a bit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumble said:

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

I do have very short legs ("high RPMs").   5 miles is kind of ambitious, but it's not in one chunk.  I've found that if I am a slug at work and barely get out of my chair, I'm looking at about 2-3K steps for the day.  At about 5K steps for the day, I've just been a little more thoughtful about getting up throughout the day and moving around--like using the printer that's further away, getting up to talk to a coworker instead of calling, maybe an occasional lap around the office to wake up. But 5K doesn't require any walking/running as exercise.  To get 10K, I really have to go for a walk, hike, or run to get a couple of extra miles.  

16 hours ago, Grumble said:

I take more miles when walking, but fewer when running. Go chew on that for a bit.

That's really interesting... I've never paid attention to the difference. I might have to check that. There's probably something to be said about cadence or something, but I don't know these things...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

I've found that if I am a slug at work and barely get out of my chair, I'm looking at about 2-3K steps for the day. 

Ah, okay. So that makes it more doable. 

Week 4 Update

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Done! The stalling and deloading has begun...

Squat: 165 lbs, stalled 3 times on this, so it's deload time. 
Deadlift: 200 lbs (!!!!!), 1X4 (realized I had been saying 5x5 on these on accident, that's a total lie. I've been doing 1x5. Got 1x4 on this, so repeat.) 
Bench: 100 lbs (Also !!!!!), stalled. Did the thing! But it was hard and I only got 5 reps on one set. We'll see, but I'm anticipating having to deload on this.
Row: 95 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 67.5 lbs, 5x5. Switched to micro-loading this lift. Still hard. 

I'm thinking about starting to switch to 3x5 on these.  Technically, I guess I'm supposed to wait until I have stalled and have to deload 3 times on a lift before moving to 3x5. I could be patient and let that happen, since I think it will probably happen before too long. I don't really want to cut myself short on ability to add weight, and I'm definitely slowing down.  But these are tough workouts now that totally wipe me out. They've also gotten super long with the warm up and taking full rest periods in between sets. I can no longer work out before work. So... pros and cons. I'm undecided for now, but thinking about switching to 3x5 in the near future.

2. Drink all the water!  Done!

3. Track food! Every day. Done! The husband is back to tracking his food now, which makes it easier for me to both track and eat a little better.

4. Get them steps.  Going to start with at least 5,000 steps per day and get 10,000 steps 4 days per week.  Same same.  Consistently getting 5K steps per day, so I'll call that a win. I definitely wasn't before this challenge. I got 10K two times this week and over 9K another day (should have marched around the house for a little bit...).  

5. Time-management. Not always hitting 6.5 during weekdays, but it's averaging out to over 7 per day, so I'll take it. 

Overall, I'd give myself a B on this challenge. Pretty solid, got back some good habits I'd lost and continued to make progress.  Didn't knock it out of the park or get everything all the time, but it was a good step forward.  Onward to the next one!

ETA:

• Like 3

That song still gives me goose bumps. 

Good challenge wrap up! And look at those lifts! Way to kick ass.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snowkc said:

Week 4 Update

Goals:

1.  Stronglifts 3x per week.  Done! The stalling and deloading has begun...

Squat: 165 lbs, stalled 3 times on this, so it's deload time. 
Deadlift: 200 lbs (!!!!!), 1X4 (realized I had been saying 5x5 on these on accident, that's a total lie. I've been doing 1x5. Got 1x4 on this, so repeat.) 
Bench: 100 lbs (Also !!!!!), stalled. Did the thing! But it was hard and I only got 5 reps on one set. We'll see, but I'm anticipating having to deload on this.
Row: 95 lbs, 5x5

OH Press: 67.5 lbs, 5x5. Switched to micro-loading this lift. Still hard. 

I'm thinking about starting to switch to 3x5 on these.  Technically, I guess I'm supposed to wait until I have stalled and have to deload 3 times on a lift before moving to 3x5. I could be patient and let that happen, since I think it will probably happen before too long. I don't really want to cut myself short on ability to add weight, and I'm definitely slowing down.  But these are tough workouts now that totally wipe me out. They've also gotten super long with the warm up and taking full rest periods in between sets. I can no longer work out before work. So... pros and cons. I'm undecided for now, but thinking about switching to 3x5 in the near future.

2. Drink

B is good! Looks like you made progress on everything. Those lifting numbers look lovely, I'm envious. I tried 3 sets per lift for a while, but I wasn't making much progress. I've gone back to five sets for all except the deadlift, where I do three. One set just doesn't seem like enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

I tried 3 sets per lift for a while, but I wasn't making much progress. I've gone back to five sets for all except the deadlift, where I do three.

Yea, that's my concern. On the one hand, I think I'd recover better (and have time to do the workouts...) but on the other, I'm a little nervous that it wouldn't be enough volume to keep progressing.  But some of it is that the warm ups are getting pretty taxing too.  I'd be dead with 3 heavy deadlift sets.  But with warm up sets, I'm really doing 1 light, 2 medium, 1 heavy  deadlift sets (after 2 light, 2 medium, 5 heavy sets of squats...).  

• Like 1