• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

snowkc

Snowkc Gets Down to Business

Three sets of what...?

I do warm up sets,then three workout sets, and on days when I can't increase the weight I increase the number of reps, and call that progress compared to last week. Silly and simplistic, but my brain actually buys it and gets all smug about how much we improved since last week. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, snowkc said:

Yea, that's my concern. On the one hand, I think I'd recover better (and have time to do the workouts...) but on the other, I'm a little nervous that it wouldn't be enough volume to keep progressing.  But some of it is that the warm ups are getting pretty taxing too.  I'd be dead with 3 heavy deadlift sets.  But with warm up sets, I'm really doing 1 light, 2 medium, 1 heavy  deadlift sets (after 2 light, 2 medium, 5 heavy sets of squats...).  

Oh yeah, heavy deadlifts after heavy squats could be tough. I only do one heavy lift per day, and in the case of deadlifts they go first. And I don't really count my warmups. I'm not very systematic about them, I'm now trying to do a few reps at 50% and a few at 75%. These don't feel especially difficult or draining though. Ugh, but I have no idea what is best for progress. My gains have slowed down dramatically and I'm looking enviously at everyone else in the gym (and on these threads) thinking "Where are you, my PRs? Why have you left me???". Soooo, maybe I should read more closely what other people are doing. 

33 minutes ago, Harriet said:

"Where are you, my PRs? Why have you left me???".

Haha I am definitely headed in that direction very quickly. I feel like I've made a lot of my progress through fixing form, using core and glutes, etc., but now it's coming down to "Am I really strong enough to pick that up or not?"... and that's a lot harder...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

"Where are you, my PRs? Why have you left me???"

Because you are not a beginner anymore. The lack of new PRs every week means you are officially a grown-up, as far as the barbell is concerned, and from here on it will treat you as one and make you fight harder for your gains.

I personally gave the barbell a rude gesture when this happened and proceeded to invent ways to make progress that does not involve increasing the weight. Take that, barbell! :P

• Like 2

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Because you are not a beginner anymore. The lack of new PRs every week means you are officially a grown-up, as far as the barbell is concerned, and from here on it will treat you as one and make you fight harder for your gains.

I personally gave the barbell a rude gesture when this happened and proceeded to invent ways to make progress that does not involve increasing the weight. Take that, barbell! :P

I know. I don't blame the bar, never the bar. I just feel shame and frustration that others my size hit this stage with much bigger numbers. I'm still weak. And skinny-fat. I know I shouldn't be so sensitive about it, but that's what I feel at the moment. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:46 AM, snowkc said:

Haha I am definitely headed in that direction very quickly. I feel like I've made a lot of my progress through fixing form, using core and glutes, etc., but now it's coming down to "Am I really strong enough to pick that up or not?"... and that's a lot harder...

Yeah.... I guess we settle in for the long, slow walk now, right? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I know. I don't blame the bar, never the bar. I just feel shame and frustration that others my size hit this stage with much bigger numbers. I'm still weak. And skinny-fat. I know I shouldn't be so sensitive about it, but that's what I feel at the moment.

A suggestion? Don't worry about what you should or should not feel, or be sensitive about. Focus your energies on teaching yourself not to compare your own progress to that of others. Lifting is a solo activity. The first letter in PR stands for "personal'. (Thank you, @Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf!) The goal is not to stop feeling something, the goal is to stop our brains from making unfavorable comparisons against us. Once that stops, the feelings will stop as well, since they were a bi-product of the comparisons.

It's not easy, and it takes a long time to learn, but then, so does lifting. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, scalyfreak said:

I do warm up sets,then three workout sets, and on days when I can't increase the weight I increase the number of reps, and call that progress compared to last week. Silly and simplistic, but my brain actually buys it and gets all smug about how much we improved since last week. 

Not silly or simplistic. This will probably become my strategy soon.

20 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

The first letter in PR stands for "personal'.

I love this. I learned to love solo sports with running first.  I  used to hate running, but I finally became comfortable being slow and just doing my thing. It became "me time" and "outside time."  And as I started to improve on what I used to be able to do, it was awesome. But I'm still, and will always be, an extremely slow runner. And I'm cool with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

Not silly or simplistic. This will probably become my strategy soon.

Nia Shanks introduced me to it, and it made a lot of sense to me, so I decided to try. I apply it to sets as well as reps. Last week, I did 90lbs on the barbell bench press for two sets before I had to lower it to 85 lbs for the third. The week before, I had to go down to 85 lbs after the first set. Progress! :D

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, scalyfreak said:

A suggestion? Don't worry about what you should or should not feel, or be sensitive about. Focus your energies on teaching yourself not to compare your own progress to that of others. Lifting is a solo activity. The first letter in PR stands for "personal'. (Thank you, @Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf!) The goal is not to stop feeling something, the goal is to stop our brains from making unfavorable comparisons against us. Once that stops, the feelings will stop as well, since they were a bi-product of the comparisons.

It's not easy, and it takes a long time to learn, but then, so does lifting. :)

Thanksss. I am going to start tracking my lifting in one document so I have a clearer picture of how it's going. If I have my previous attempts to compare to, maybe I won't feel the need to compare as much to others. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Thanksss. I am going to start tracking my lifting in one document so I have a clearer picture of how it's going. If I have my previous attempts to compare to, maybe I won't feel the need to compare as much to others. 

That's how I learned to stop. :)

There is a unique smugness to the sense of accomplishment that comes from having tracking data to prove that the really heavy weight that we barely could lift a couple of months ago, is what we use to warm up with today... :devilish: