• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doe

A senshi must be! Doe learns from Sailor Mars

Second challenge on the comeback tour! 

These days Sailor Mars has been coming through to me. Her quiet strength and serenity alongside Rei's determination and desire for 
recogniton of talents. I recently read a story about Rei's mother passing away, admittedly that resonated as. Since college, I was always a fan of Sailor V/Venus but Mina can't stand her mother. Who knew?

Anywho, on to the challenge!

It's 10pm, do you know where your cakes are?

giphy.gif

Respectfully I say, I'm not a fan of "diet fads". In my thirties, I've learned why trends catch on for the long term for some people. Completing two Whole30s cemented that I indeed have a corn sensitivity (later confirmed by a doctor). And I can handle wheat and dairy in moderation.
Having non-diabetic hypoglycemia, I passed over intermittent fasting as another fad. Without realizing that there's a reason the first meal of the day is called "break-fast". I'm a late night muncher, most of my calories come from that time. And while, I've munching on snap peas and hummus, grapes, and green ice pops, at some point a calorie *is* a calorie.
Baby steps, I'm starting with 12 hours. We'll see how it goes.
Quest 1: Eat between 8am-8pm 
bonus: log on My Fitness Pal  

Do you even transform?

giphy.gif 

In the last challenge, I started exercising more in total quantity. This made me realize, I need to exercise more often. Even 15 minutes a day keeps up my cardio, core, and knee strength. As much as I hate jumping jacks and plank, I confess my cardio and core strength were never better when I do it every dayAfter the first few days. 
Quest 2: Exercise 5x a week (excluding dance)

Doe, are you letting perfection stop you?
giphy.gif
Yes, yes I am. I suck at writing. Well, I write great  for an engineer. The instagram side of my blog is going well.  I want to reach people, connect, offer some advice that's helped me along the way. Justify paying for the domain, haha. 
Last time, just specifying two posts was not specific enough. A million blog ideas run through my head, yet no posts make it to publish.  This time I'm going to take 2 draft ideas, one that is time-sensitive, and set aside time for blogging. Not Instagram, not wordpress themes, writing the darn blog.

Quest 3: Write a blog post about not losing things and being an engineer with ADHD

Stop the information overload
giphy.gif

I listen to the news during the day. Then I watch the recaps at night. This is becoming an unhealthy habit. At times, I found thinking of other people's drama was a nice distraction. The first few months after my mom passed, music wasn't cutting my need for background noise. I'm getting better and back at a full schedule so I also need the regular sleep. 
Quest 4: Limit news to 2hrs a day. No screens after 11

My Python don't want none unless you got brains hun
giphy.gif

Last challenge, I completed an introductory Python course. Since I've learned programming years ago, I often skipped some easy exercises. At this point, I need to do more to make this an active, useful skill.
Quest 5: Continue onto course 2. Do at least one exercise from each section.

02.24.19 Update: Dropped this particular quest since I've done 0 on it for two weeks. Try again another time.

• Like 2

Today started out rough.

I woke up late. Didn't miss any work but was thrown off. Settled in to work at home and the mail came. The life insurance beneficiary claim is done. All the dread consumed me and I lost a few hours of the day.

The hardest thing about the challenge yesterday was the lack of news. What do people listen to all day?  Suppose I need to find some podcasts and get back into music.  Admittedly, I was less stressed out, not listening to the circus that is US politics these days.  That's all I'll say about that.

Food-wise, I woke up around 10am and managed to sit down to dinner right at 8pm. I was doing well till my boyfriend invited me out for a drink. The first drink was fine then I tried something new, "Femme Fatale" a whiskey cocktail with 2 kinds of bitters. I couldn't even get halfway through. A late night munch of boiled egg, veggies and hummus.

Got in a mini exercise of 10 minutes, inspired by a darebee routine. I added 15 jumping jacks to the beginning, middle, and end. As well as 20 squats. Did knee stregthening/stretches throught the day. Let me tell you, those side to side chops worked more than I expected. 

standing-abs-workout.jpg

Great challenge!  I totally gave up on news and talk radio years ago.  I'm a much happier person for it.  :-)

6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Great challenge!  I totally gave up on news and talk radio years ago.  I'm a much happier person for it.  :-)

Thanks! That's what I keep hearing but wow, this what I imagine nicotine is like. Day 2 and the void is so obvious.

It's weird because I didn't watch much  news until the past two years. Regardless of politics, I think it's been pretty melodramatic lately. Gotta find some good background noise though. 

35 minutes ago, Doe said:

good background noise

I require a lot of this as well.  I finally paid for the Pandora subscription because I listen to so much music I decided it was worth it.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 4:04 PM, Cheetah said:

I require a lot of this as well.  I finally paid for the Pandora subscription because I listen to so much music I decided it was worth it.

I do have Spotify plus. I hadn't been listening to music as much I used to it. Trying to get back into it. 

Great challenge! Hope it’s going well for you this week!

I love podcasts for background noise...there are some great stories out there (I’ve been getting into some D&D live plays lately, and if you haven’t tried Welcome To Night Vale, you should definitely give it a try) but there’s also lots of informational stuff which I enjoy because I feel like I’m learning something (my faves are Infinite Monkey Cage, a British science/comedy show, and Quirks & Quarks, a Canadian science news cast). 

• Like 1

Tuesday

Fun fact, if you're going to eat according to schedule then you need a plan. Tuesday was the regular Coast Guard Auxilary meeting, our first of the year thanks to the shutdown. I thought I had a plan, brought some veggies and hummus, planned to get a protein style burger from In-N-Out. Should have brought an extra meal or a sandwich. The line at In-N-Out had to have 20 cars in it, the line inside to the front door. Had neither the time nor patience. Didn't get to eat till I was home around 9p
Quest 2: Exercise 5x a week
Nope.
Quest 3: Write a blog post about not losing things and being an engineer with ADHD
Nope. Considering my track record, the 2nd topic is the one I should work on first. Hopefully have it published during engineering week (last week of february)
Yes, yes I did this one! Go me!
Quest 5: Continue onto course 2. Do at least one exercise from each section.
No Python studying this week yet.

Wednesday
TIL, when you eat full meals, there's less chance of late night hunger. Ate 3 full meals for the first time in too long. Had a "Galentine's Day" brunch at a French bistro. Still getting used to eating dinner early. Went to the gym afterward. I did have a green juice ice pop and some turkey with mustard but progress is being made.
At the gym I cycled 2.5 miles and rowed 2000 m. Did some strength, mostly back and upper body.
Quest 3: Write a blog post
I dug up an old draft and worked with for 20 minutes. I really suck at writing.
Quest 4: Limit news to 2hrs a day.
Didn't do so great today, 3-4 hours. On the positive side, I did some organizing and coloring last night instead of listening to the news. Think it helped me get to sleep a bit sooner.
Quest 5: Python On
Nada.

20 minutes ago, Radost said:

Great challenge! Hope it’s going well for you this week!

I love podcasts for background noise...there are some great stories out there (I’ve been getting into some D&D live plays lately, and if you haven’t tried Welcome To Night Vale, you should definitely give it a try) but there’s also lots of informational stuff which I enjoy because I feel like I’m learning something (my faves are Infinite Monkey Cage, a British science/comedy show, and Quirks & Quarks, a Canadian science news cast). 

I've been trying to find some podcasts so this was perfect. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Yesterday at dance practice, I pulled my hamstring.  haha maybe I exercised too much.

I did plenty of stretch this week. I pulled it after stretching, just getting up from the floor.  I didn't know it was pulled, thought it was dislocated. Ended up in ER for something that could have easily be solved at urgent care. Over the phone they thought it was a 'blood clot', that's why my dance group took me to ER. After four hours of waiting the ER doctor told me "that's not how blood clots work". 

I have decent health insurance but it just grinds my gears that I felt forced to go to ER for $150 when I could have went to urgent care for $35. They said they were too full.

Today is my belated birthday bowling party.  More party than  bowling for me. My knee does feel better than yesterday but it still hurts and I cant move it easily.

I'll do my weekly recap later and reassess my Challenge quests.

Week 1 Recap:

3 days out of 7

4 days of 7. 5 includng dance.

Quest Mod: Include dance practice in total workout number
Almost finished with this post! omg so close!
5 days out of 7.
Haven't done anything on this one. Because I up and started learning chinese. (hello ADHD).  We'll give this another week before I consider dropping it.

This is a very whiny post. I wouldn't mind if you skipped it. 

I hate steroids.

I'm on a 5 day round of steroids for my injury to help reduce inflammation. Everytime I'm prescribed steroids, the doctors say the same thing " oh it's a short time, you won't gain weight".

Everytime I gain weight. Steriods make me sooo thirsty. I've been drinking 6-10 canteens of water and Crystal light a day (canteen is ~16 oz). Usually I have to force myself to drink 3-5.

3 days later, I have gained 11 pounds.  Highest weight I've ever been in 17 years, post-WLS, 288. I was 277 on Friday. How is that even possible?

Had some ED flashbacks here's a spoiler to hide it.

Spoiler

I really do want to lose weight in a healthy and sane fashion but these obstacles that keep popping up just make me want to super-restrict until I hit 260 again. I hate looking at old pictures of me knowing I was smaller but also that all did was eat boiled chicken, broccoli, and vodka.  That weight I was this time last year. I feel like I just been bouncing around between 275 and 285 (now 288 ugh). for the past 6 months despite exercising and trying to eat healthier. But I know that won't last and these yo yos are getting wider and wider as I get older. 

I know that didn't actually gain 11 pounds of fat. But it doesn't change the fact of the gain or the puffiness in my face and belly.

Ok, rant over. 

A more sane approach might be to give up alcohol for a while. My drinking intensified since my mom passed away. And while it's tapered down considerably from the morning I heard the news and drank Jameson all day, it's still on the high side. A few times last week the reason I ate late was because I can't drink on an empty stomach.  I'm trying everything else and since my activity is limited. 

Started my rehab exercises yesterday. I can put weight on my affected leg (right) and walk about 10 steps with out crutches. Bending my knee is hard but it's improving. Did some upper body work this morning as well. Planning on more after work. Working from home till Thursday.

• Like 1

Injury recovery is tough. Sounds like you’re dealing with a lot, and it’s too bad that your doctors are feeding you bullshit in addition. How hard is it for them to say “yes, steroids can cause weight gain. Hopefully it will be minimal but in any case it’s important that you use this medicine to heal.”  

Look after yourself. You’re doing a good job of recognizing that there were down sides to the way you lost weight before. Sounds like you have some ideas for how to keep working on your health while your weight is not something you can control. Hope the injury recovery goes well from here out. 

• Like 1

Injuries are the worst!  I hope you recover quickly and get back to what you want to be doing.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, Radost said:

Injury recovery is tough. Sounds like you’re dealing with a lot, and it’s too bad that your doctors are feeding you bullshit in addition. How hard is it for them to say “yes, steroids can cause weight gain. Hopefully it will be minimal but in any case it’s important that you use this medicine to heal.”  

Look after yourself. You’re doing a good job of recognizing that there were down sides to the way you lost weight before. Sounds like you have some ideas for how to keep working on your health while your weight is not something you can control. Hope the injury recovery goes well from here out. 

It's a funny thing, if he would have said it like that, I may have realized that sooner than later. 
Trying to take it easy. Won't do me any good to rush back in and injure myself worse, right?

• Like 1

As I age, the thing I'm learning is that setbacks happen. Sometimes horrible setbacks like a death. Sometimes minor but discouraging like this hamstring injury. You have to learn how to navigate and mine for anything you can glean from a setback. . Need to remember that this is a long term process. Being homebound made me more conscientious of how I spend my time. 

Hamstring recovery is going better than I expected. This week I had to calm down about gaining weight. (Though for the record I'm back down to 282). Learning to have some patience. Ironically, that ties into the title of this quest.  I always thought of Sailor Mars as desiring to project a sense of strength and Serenity. However, anybody who's watched Sailor Moon, knows that Rei can be a hothead at times. Strength and serenity take time, I suppose.

Week 2 recap

Quest 1: Eat between 8am-8pm. 4 out of 7 days.

The spirit of the quest has been going well. I'm doing a lot less midnite munching and trying to eat more balanced meals. Knowing I couldn't "work it off", made me conscious of my eating. Still could use improvement.

Quest 2: Exercise 5x a week. 7 out of 7 days!
Because of the injury, I've been more motivated to exercise daily. Need to stretch and do strengthening exercises 
everyday . Returned to dance practice yesterday but was very limited. No turns or jumps for me. Exercise sessions have been mostly stretching 10-15 minutes a day and a lot of upper body. Suppose this is my chance to focus on that. On thursday, I did an intense chair workout.  Who knew you could break a sweat without leaving your seat!? Now that I can walk a bit, going to start walking more but also focus on upper body till my physical therapy appointment.

Well my ADHD engineer post turned into an instagram ramble. I feel like I'm losing my way on this blog and I'm not even sure of my message anymore.  I have a friend who has a lifestyle blog and we have a time to talk this week so we can make a plan. I still feel it's a valuable endeavor. 

Quest 4: Limit news to 2hrs a day. No screens after 11. 

This has been the most sucessful.  After two weeks, the urge to have to know everything that's going on, it's dissipating.  Loving music again. Less stress, more productive, and even learning to appreciate silence again. Silence has not been my friend recently, grief over my mother always seemed to feel the quiet. It's not happening as much, for the present.  I'm listening to music more and started listening to some podcasts, learning Chinese.  At one point in my life I was nearly fluent in speaking/listening Japanese, just don't speak it as much since my Japanese grandmother passed away in my teens. When starting to learn Chinese, I had some concern I'd mixup/lose my Japanese.  So naturally I started listening to Intermediate Japanese language podcasts.  

Even though I've heard this allot, Japanese and Chinese aren't anything alike. Admittedly, there are similarities in some characters, which makes it hard in duolingo to not guess basic things from kanji without knowing the Chinese (especially numbers). But I'm not so worried anymore.

Dropped. Going to revisit this later this year.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, Doe said:

The spirit of the quest has been going well.

That's good!  Keep it up!

Because of the injury, I've been more motivated to exercise daily.

I've heard that motivation that leads to discipline is energy well spent.

I still feel it's a valuable endeavor.

You're not done till you're done.  Keep at it; you've got this!

Chinese

I'm more than a little jealous, I must say.  I only speak American, although I dabble in British I'm not particularly good at it.  I'm glad that your studies are going well.  :-)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, Cheetah said:

I've heard that motivation that leads to discipline is energy well spent.

I've heard that too, it rarely happens to me so it's exciting when it does. 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, Cheetah said:

I'm more than a little jealous, I must say.  I only speak American, although I dabble in British I'm not particularly good at it.  I'm glad that your studies are going well.  :-)

Haha, thanks. Everybody in my family knows at least one other language, I think it's a requirement to come to the reunions. 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, Doe said:

I'm listening to music more and started listening to some podcasts, learning Chinese.  At one point in my life I was nearly fluent in speaking/listening Japanese, just don't speak it as much since my Japanese grandmother passed away in my teens. When starting to learn Chinese, I had some concern I'd mixup/lose my Japanese.  So naturally I started listening to Intermediate Japanese language podcasts.  

Even though I've heard this allot, Japanese and Chinese aren't anything alike. Admittedly, there are similarities in some characters, which makes it hard in duolingo to not guess basic things from kanji without knowing the Chinese (especially numbers). But I'm not so worried anymore.

They’re really very, very different. Grammatically speaking Mandarin has more in common with English!  I have a few words that always come out in one or the other, though. Like “bei1” (North) has superseded everything but English and French. I can eventually dig down to the correct term, but it’s not the first thing in my head and when I lived in Japan and was reading signs and stuff I never once mentally read it as “kita.”

You're pursuing some awesome challenges while in injury recovery. Keep it up, you’re amazing!

• Like 1

Went to the gym yesterday for the first time since my injury.  Mostly upper body but I did try cycling... yea it didn't go well.  I didn't hurt myself but could only do 0.75 miles.  Usually I do 5 miles. 

Wish it wasn't so rainy so I could walk outside butah well. 

I'm so glad I started my 'news diet ' before Michael Cohen's public testimony.  Stayed focusat work and will catch the highlights,  hopefully mostly in joke form on the late night shows. 

I  woke up at 9am and am just now leaving the office.  Late nite dinner is coming. Tracked on mfp though 

Well, you have to start where you are.  Good job getting to the gym!

Rain is dumb.  I don't care what the grass thinks about it.

I caught a whif of the Cohen thing on the radio.  What's the word for when you don't care about something so hard that you don't even care that you don't care?

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

*tumbleweeds roll by*

My challenge has definitely gone off the rails here. lol.  

Let me count the ways:

Eating between 8-8pm

i 've been waking up later and it's throwing my whole day off.  I also haven't been doing as much meal prep lately. But I got back into it Sunday/Monday. Made a big batch of chilli, some egg muffins, and green ice pops. our fridge is dire need of reorganization so there's not a whole lot of room right now.  Trying to convince my bf to throw away food I know he's not going to eat is a challenge. For example I bought some veggie buns (the kind you steam) and they taste awful. He wouldn't let me throw them out. I finally did though and of course he didn't notice. 

Been having trouble sleeping lately.  Last night I had an edible so of course got the munchies. We haven't been keeping junkfood in the house so I mostly ate grapes haha. I live in california so this is legal, fyi. I still don't get the appeal of that stuff. I tried it a bit after  my mom passed, mostly to escape. But honestly, I'm not a fan. 

Working out everyday
the sleep has just had me off. I think I need to give myself a bedtime or something. Being back at fulltime has also thrown me off. I need a routine.

My weight has settled down from the steroids. bouncing around 279-281. My injury is about 80% recovered.  One more week of no turns/dance and we'll see where we are.

Good job getting some batch cooking in!  I'm glad your recovery is going well.  You'll be back at it in no time!