Kwesadilo moves more than 3 feet at a time

kwesadilo

I suspect that I will truly reach the end of my recovery LP before the end of this challenge, and I don't know what lifting program I will take up next. My three best ideas, in descending order, are to retain a coach and have them figure it out, try Texas Method, or try 5/3/1. I could also resume the heavy-light-medium program that has served me so ineffectively over the past 3 years or so, but I'd really rather think of something else. While I figure that out, I will not have a lifting goal per se, but rest assured that I am still lifting.

Goals

• Start doing conditioning. As I advance in my programming, my rests between sets have a tendency to get burdensome, and I could stand to recover more quickly. I was doing sprints at the track for awhile last year, but the damn kids with their school sports made it difficult to do consistently. Now, there is not a track near my apartment, so I'll have to find something else. There is a weight cart that people push in the gym, which looks promising. My goal is to actually be doing some kind of conditioning work with some regularity by the end of the challenge.
  • Do mobility work every day. I may start paring down some of the exercises that don't feel like they're doing anything at all, but overall, following the schedule in Supple Leopard seems to be helping my squat form and general well-being.
  • Get to bed by 11:30 pm at least 5 nights each week. I'm almost at the point where this feels like a habit, but it's still hard sometimes.
  • Finish my move chores. I put a big dent in these last time, but I still need to get rid of the furniture I can't use anymore and update my correspondents with my new address before my mail forwarding runs out.
  • Like 3

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

STR - 63 DEX - 22 STA - 16 CON - 47 WIS - 48 CHA - 7

Looking good.

I think dodging children could be good conditioning work. Maybe while they're playing football/soccer? Maybe with small ones so you can jump over them. 

So, um, how can you tell if a programme is effective or not? It seems like comparing one's rate of progress to other people is useless because we're all different. So what's your benchmark for efficacy? 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

So, um, how can you tell if a programme is effective or not? It seems like comparing one's rate of progress to other people is useless because we're all different. So what's your benchmark for efficacy? 

I'm not kwesadilo, but my bench marking is to track my lifting in an app that can graph it for me. Looking at a graph proves that my current Barbell row weight is double what I started with, is very gratifying. :)

13 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

Do mobility work every day. I may start paring down some of the exercises that don't feel like they're doing anything at all, but overall, following the schedule in Supple Leopard seems to be helping my squat form and general well-being.

This is intriguing. I may have to look into mobility work as well...

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

31 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:
13 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

Do mobility work every day. I may start paring down some of the exercises that don't feel like they're doing anything at all, but overall, following the schedule in Supple Leopard seems to be helping my squat form and general well-being.

This is intriguing. I may have to look into mobility work as well...

Agreed. Tell me more about this Supple Leopard business... 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, snowkc said:

The best thing since sliced bread. Even homemade sourdough.

It's basically talking about understanding your body's flexibility and movement optimization. Lots of good stretching and just generally be healthier about your everyday body actions.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

I just googled supple leopard, and there's a blurb on goodreads where he promises to reverse the ageing process. Just hidden inside a long list of more mundane goals. Sorcery! 

• Haha 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

20 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I just googled supple leopard, and there's a blurb on goodreads where he promises to reverse the ageing process. Just hidden inside a long list of more mundane goals. Sorcery! 

Sold!! 

28 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I'm not sure I can believe that. Nothing is better than homemade sourdough... with butter.... And now I'm hungry.

Is the book somewhat accessible? I asked the interwebs about it and it looks... dense. (480 pages?!) I am intrigued by the promises I'm hearing, but intimidated by the amount of free time it would take to dig into that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, snowkc said:

Sold!! 

I'm not sure I can believe that. Nothing is better than homemade sourdough... with butter.... And now I'm hungry.

Is the book somewhat accessible? I asked the interwebs about it and it looks... dense. (480 pages?!) I am intrigued by the promises I'm hearing, but intimidated by the amount of free time it would take to dig into that.

Give me a bit, I'll send you a PM.

• Thanks 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

For visual learners, all the supple leopard stuff is on the youtoobs... search mobilitywod... theres like 400+ free videos...

• Like 2

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

22 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's basically talking about understanding your body's flexibility and movement optimization. Lots of good stretching and just generally be healthier about your everyday body actions.

Yup. I also recommend MobilityWOD and Supple Leopard (Same guy did both). 99% of his stuff is solid and really the only comprehensive location for the general amateur athlete. Did wonders for my joints. His superfriend stretches are amaaaaaaazing on the shoulders. 

5 hours ago, Blocky said:

For visual learners, all the supple leopard stuff is on the youtoobs... search mobilitywod... theres like 400+ free videos...

Agree. I've got a whole lot of them bookmarked because I keep returning to them. And most of my internet searching starts with: "mwod [foo]" where foo is which joint or muscle is making my life miserable. 

• Like 4

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

On 2/12/2019 at 11:14 AM, scalyfreak said:

I'm not kwesadilo, but my bench marking is to track my lifting in an app that can graph it for me. Looking at a graph proves that my current Barbell row weight is double what I started with, is very gratifying. :)

Graphs is a great idea. Something visual. I'll have to see if I have enough notes to do this for the last year. Or just start now.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Graphs is a great idea. Something visual. I'll have to see if I have enough notes to do this for the last year. Or just start now.

If you're starting from right now, you can start plugging numbers into a tracking app, and it will track and graph for you. I use Progression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 2/12/2019 at 9:18 AM, Harriet said:

I think dodging children could be good conditioning work. Maybe while they're playing football/soccer? Maybe with small ones so you can jump over them. 

When I was doing sprints at the track, I once came very close to KOing a toddler who wandered directly into my path, completely obliviously.

I would expect a program to define the metrics that it wants to improve and make at least general predictions about what will happen to those metrics as I do the program. The more accurate those predictions end up being, and the more significant the change, the more effective I would consider the program to be. Through that lens, the HLM programming that I have done has not been particularly effective. Since I finished my initial LP, I have mostly used variations of this kind of programming, and on all of my lifts, I have retread the same ground multiple times. I have not seen consistent strength increases for more than a few weeks at a time, whereas I expected to make fairly consistent, durable progress for months and maybe years.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, scalyfreak said:

I have been using the FitNotes app, which can produce a variety of graphs that show the progress or lack thereof on my lifts and other exercises.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, snowkc said:

On 2/14/2019 at 8:59 AM, Grumble said:

I'm a bit less enthusiastic. It seemed desirable to me for various reasons to become more flexible or mobile or whatever people want to call it. I tried yoga in various venues and different static stretches that I found online. Anybody who talked or wrote about improving flexibility tended to describe the goals of the program in very nebulous terms, and I didn't see anything resembling a way to measure progress or a schedule of anticipated improvements. Most of them barely even made reference to anatomy. So the bar was very low.

Supple Leopard comes the closest of anything that I've watched or read to making falsifiable claims about the program it promotes. Success is defined as the ability to adopt various positions ("archetypes") and perform various movements. The book claims that if you do what it says for a few weeks, your ability to do those things will noticeably improve. That's almost unquantified, but nobody else was offering anything better. My experience was that I did, in fact, see some improvement in my ability to get into some of the archetypes and also in some neck stiffness that had been bothering me, before the end of the two-week sampler program.

I hesitate to whole-heartedly recommend the book, however. One of the reasons that I bought it is that I find Kelly Starrett's highly praised YouTube video's fairly difficult to follow. Many of them have a conversational or stream-of-consciousness style that makes it hard for me to figure out what his actual point is and what evidence he presents. He is prone to using words that don't mean anything, like "grotty," to describe the condition of a part of the human body, which makes it impossible to know whether the exercise he prescribed fixed that condition. He sometimes employs protracted physical analogies for physiological processes, seemingly in an effort to avoid resorting to anatomical terminology or diagrams, which again make it hard for me to understand what he's trying to say well enough to decide whether it makes sense.

I hoped that having to write things down would temper these tendencies, and they did, a bit. He still takes up a lot of space repeating himself, using non-standard terminology, and trying to motivate ideas that the reader surely would have internalized before making it that far in the book. I don't think "dense" is the right word. The book is ironically heavy for the product of a man who is morally opposed to the act of sitting. I think it could probably be made a quarter to a third shorter without removing any useful information.

I have been doing the mobilization program described in the book on most days for, I think, about a year. During that time, I have noticed improvements to my form on some lifts and reductions in chronic pain that followed so directly after related mobilizations that I have to conclude that one caused the other. During that same period, I have done a lot of mobilizations that didn't feel like they were doing anything and had no obvious effects. I'd say that about half of mobilizations I do seem like they might be doing something, and the other half don't.

I am unaware of any superior program or source of information related to mobility.

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 1 update

• Conditioning: I have now pushed the cart twice, using one of the methodologies described in the article Death by Prowler. After messing around a bit, I think that the cart shares most important properties with that device and should do for now. Tonight, I pushed it for seven 150-foot sprints (although I was walking) and allowed myself to fully recover between them, which took a couple minutes.
  • Mobility: Did this every day.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time every night but Sunday.
  • Move chores: I didn't accomplish anything directly last week, but I did clear a number of stale items off my desk, thus uncovering other paperwork that is actually relevant.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 2 update

• Conditioning: I pushed the cart twice last week, and I made it up to 11 "sprints" of 150 feet yesterday. I will now begin to reduce the rest time between sprints.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Tuesday through Saturday.
  • Move chores: I gave away a bunch of stuff that doesn't have a good place in my new apartment, and I returned to the DMV, because my driver's license never showed up.
  • Like 2

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

9 hours ago, kwesadilo said:

• Conditioning: I pushed the cart twice last week, and I made it up to 11 "sprints" of 150 feet yesterday. I will now begin to reduce the rest time between sprints.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Tuesday through Saturday.
  • Move chores: I gave away a bunch of stuff that doesn't have a good place in my new apartment, and I returned to the DMV, because my driver's license never showed up.

Looking good!

Week 3 update

• Conditioning: I pushed the cart twice last week. On Saturday, I started limiting my rest time to 30 seconds, which makes it a bit harder.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Monday through Thursday. I didn't start on the chores I needed to do for Monday until too late on Sunday.
  • Move chores: I listed some furniture that I want to get rid of online, and I think I got a bite on some of it.
  • Like 2

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 4 update

Last week seemed like pretty much the end of my LP. Tonight, I started Texas Method, which I've never done before. I guess I'll find out how it's going to be on Friday.

• Conditioning: I pushed the cart twice last week. I worked up to 9 sprints. I would say that I'm still mostly recovered after 30 seconds of rest. I turned the timer down to 25 seconds, because it takes me a bit to enter my previous set and walk over to where I left the cart.
    • Done.
  • Mobility: Did this every day but one. I can't remember which day it was right now. I think maybe Tuesday.
    • 27/28 days. I've gotten to the point where I very rarely have to remind myself to do this.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time every day but Sunday.
    • 19/20 days. I've been pretty good about this lately, but it's not at all automatic for me.
  • Move chores: I sold my superfluous furniture this week. I made a list of businesses to change my address with but did not actually do that.
    • I did about half of the things that I still needed to do at the beginning of this challenge. I'll give this 50%. Additionally, I cleared away all of the paperwork that had piled up during the move process, so that's something. Just in time for me to do my taxes.
  • Like 1

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

This looks like solid success to me. Nicely done. :)